Sign in to follow this  
LordNelson

Hawks Vs. PSU

Otis, how could you possibly consider Burak as a possible AA when he has not defeated a top 15 wrestler?

Brace yourself. Q is going to school him tonight.

The kid has made more progress in the last two months than anyone in the country. He is a big athletic 197lber, wrestles extremely hard, and sounds like he is great kid who is super coachable. That is how I consider him a possible AA. Oh and I am fully prepared for him to possibly be schooled.

Otis, how could you possibly consider Burak as a possible AA when he has not defeated a top 15 wrestler?

Brace yourself. Q is going to school him tonight.

Camp was #9 or #10 when Burak beat him and rightfully so.

Camp is still top 15 by every rankings site I can see.

there's no way Burak has a shot tonight. after watching him STRUGGLE MIGHTILY to finish off the the deepest outside head shots i've seen from a 197 in a long while. If he does that against Q, he's going to his back. BANK IT.

he literally had no clue how to finish. until he can do that, he won't AA.

There are some rumblings that Penn State will not have the same lineup we saw for Nebraska. hhmm.......

Also read that Grothus is going at 149 instead of Kelly.

Vollrath in at 165 to eek out a win over Moore and Taylor up to 174 to take down Evans. :)

125 McD dec Nico 5-2 3-0 IA

133 Ramos dec Conaway 13-5 7-0 IA

141 Ballweg dec Pearsall 9-2 10-0 IA

149 Alton dec Kelly 5-3 10-3 IA

157 DSJ dec Alton 3-1 SV 13-3 iA

165 Vollrath dec Moore 3-1 SV 13-6 IA

174 Taylor dec Evans 9-4 13-9 IA

184 Ruth dec Lofthouse 11-2 13-13

197 Q dec Burak 7-3 16-13 PSU

285 Telford dec Lawson 3-2 16-16

PSU wins on criteria - match points 48-46

There are some rumblings that Penn State will not have the same lineup we saw for Nebraska. hhmm.......

Also read that Grothus is going at 149 instead of Kelly.

Vollrath in at 165 to eek out a win over Moore and Taylor up to 174 to take down Evans. :)

I suggested a little different scenario the other day, but was dismissed.

Re: Hawks Vs. PSU

by Alwayswrestling » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:12 pm

Feedus wrote:

First post, but long time follower. Any chance PSU waits until after 149 and possibly throws Vollrath @ 57, Alton @ 65, Taylor @74 to win 65 &74? Can D. Alton beat Moore? Just thoughts.

I doubt any chance this will happen because of the way weigh in rules are now. Plus I am not sure it would benefit PSU at all Alton has a good chance of beating DSJ and Taylor getting bonus points from Moore not sure if Alton's a sure thing at 165 and I would say Taylor is not getting bonus points from this years Evans at 174.

Pretty sure I saw him outside the top 15 in at least one poll. Nevertheless, if #13 Camp is Burak's best win, that still raises the question of how people can be projecting him to AA.

I thought we were just arguing that Burak isn't going to lay down and die for Wright, not that Burak would AA.

Really though, behind the universally acknowledged top 4 at the weight, 197 will be a crap shoot for AAs.

Projected starters

No. 1 Penn State (8-0, 5-0 Big Ten) vs. No. 3 Iowa (15-1, 5-0 Big Ten)

125: No. 2 Nico Megaludis (16-1) vs. No. 1 Matt McDonough (13-0)

133: Jordan Conaway (10-4) vs. No. 2 Tony Ramos (16-0)

141: Bryan Pearsall (16-6) vs. No. 8 Mark Ballweg (15-1)

149: No. 8 Andrew Alton (17-1)/James English (14-4) vs. Michael Kelly (10-6)

157: No. 5 Dylan Alton (17-2)/James Vollrath (23-5) vs. No. 1 Derek St. John (16-0)

165: No. 2 David Taylor (17-1) vs. No. 13 Nick Moore (11-3)

174: No. 4 Matt Brown (17-2) vs. No. 6 Mike Evans (11-2)

184: No. 1 Ed Ruth (19-0) vs. No. 14 Ethen Lofthouse (12-4)

197: No. 3 Quentin Wright (18-0) vs. No. 19 Nathan Burak (12-8)

285: No. 17 Jon Gingrich (14-5) vs. No. 6 Bobby Telford (11-3)

Why are English and Vollrath listed? Is Penn State considering moving guys around?

McD decision (3-0 IA)

Ramos decision (6-0 IA)

Ballweg decision (9-0 IA)

Alton Maj. (9-4 IA)

St. John decision (12-4 IA)

Taylor Maj. (12-8 IA)

Evans decision (15-8 IA)

Ruth Maj. (15-12 IA)

Wright decision (15-15 IA)

Telford decision (18-15 IA)

This is coming from a PSU fan and alumni. Iowa matches up very well with PSU. Should be great.

Had all the picks right on winners. Just missed Ramos with the fall, Ballweg pulling the major and Taylor getting the tech, and Gingrich getting owned. Close but no cigar

better team between iowa and penn state- iowa

best team in the country- maybe iowa penn state minnesota or oklahoma state

best individuals- penn state

give me a team title where teams have to go head to head sending out all of their weights to take on the other team directlyt!!!!!

125: McDonough dec. Mega.Would love to give Mega the match but until he beats McDonough cant give him the match. 3-0 Iowa

133: Ramos Mdec. Conaway. I could not decide on a dec. or major but Graff was controlling the match till he died out, Ramos is not going to run out of steam. This is not a knock on Conaway who has the heart and tank and I think will be a NQ he just wont beat Ramos. 7-0 Iowa

141: Ballweg dec. Pearsall. Both have been wrestling well right now just think Ballweg is wrestling better and is a better wrestler. Also not a Knock on Pearsall who has improved 10x fold while on the team. Also believe he will qualify for nationals his senior year. Just like he finally qualified for states his senior year.

10-0 Iowa

149: Alton dec. Kelly. I would have picked Alton with out any hesitation until how bad he looked against Sueflohn. Kelly is tough but not as good as Sueflohn, so ill still go with Alton. 10-3 Iowa

157: DSJ dec. Alton. This match is another toss up but have to got with DSJ. If Alton can finish one of his shoots and not countered he wins. But until he proves he can do that DSJ wins again. 13-3 Iowa

165: Taylor Mdec. Moore. I could either see a mdec. or a fall here not a tech. I just do not see Moore getting Teched. Iowa 13-7

174: Evans dec. Brown. Both are hard nose SOB's and I cant wait for this match. Going with St. John because Brown seems a little flat right now. I think the full season of wrestling is wearing on Brown a little and might need a break. Iowa 16-7

184: Ruth Tech Lofthouse. Ruth is just a beast. Ruth dominated Ihnen and that's and understatement. Lofthouse has not looked great and this could be a pin but ill give Ruth the Tech. Iowa 16-12

197: Wright dec. Burak. Wright could get the pin but Burak has really turned the corner in the second half of the season. Burak will surprise at nationals and I think will be round of 12 this year. Iowa 16-15

HWT: Telford dec. Gingrich. I feel this will be a very boring match. Telford has more big match experience and with the CHA going crazy I think he pulls it out in OT. Iowa 19-15.

125, 141, 149, 157, 174, and HWT can conceivable go either way. 133, 165, 184, and 197 can go from mdec to falls. This match is going to be insane. If PSU is on fire I can see them running away with this. I have Iowa winning the close ones and im from PA, but the close ones are all matches that Iowa has either won in the past or have been wrestling better at the weight right now. I do hope PSU pulls through at CHA though.

Had it 19-15 Iowa. Gave Ramos a Mdec instead of a fall, and gave Ballweg a dec. instead of a mdec. Gave Alton a Dec. vs. Kelly instead of Mdec vs. G. Also gave Taylor a Mdec instead of a Tech.

Pretty sure I saw him outside the top 15 in at least one poll. Nevertheless, if #13 Camp is Burak's best win, that still raises the question of how people can be projecting him to AA.
I wouldn't project him to AA, but he literally improves every time he goes out there. He'll have low seed and be bounced early on, but he could win a few matches. Never would have thought that a few short weeks ago.

How bout this for an unlikely but not totally impossible outcome, Iowa wins 6 of 10 matches and loses the dual.

125, McD by dec, 3-0 Iowa

133, Ramos by major, 7-0 Iowa

141, Ballweg by decision, 10-0 Iowa

149, Alton by decision, 10-3 Iowa

157, St. John by decision, 13-3

165, Taylor pin, 13-9

174, Evans by decision , 16-9

184, Ruth pin, 16-15 Iowa

197, Wright pin, 21-16 PSU

285, Telford dec, 21-19 PSU

Maybe Ramos only gets a regular decision, and maybe either Taylor, Ruth or Wright only get a tech or major, or maybe Alton scores a pin. Several combinations of maybe could result in Iowa winning more contested matches and still losing the dual.

-----

MA, I have Iowa getting the same 19 pts as you, but purposely limited PSU's bonus points to give Iowa the win.

But I recognize that PSU could really run up even more bonus pts. Lofthouse, despite keeping Ruth to a one point decision long ago, will be lucky to keep it to a MD, imo. The way Ruth was able to go right from standing position (controlling the wrist), right to the mat and getting back points vs Ihnen was incredible... I think he did it twice. And Q is looking for a banana split with increasing regularity.

More bonus points for PSU, Brown beating Evans or one upset (barely an upset, as they are so close) by PSU and PSU wins.

Brands has his work cut out getting Iowa ready.

Anybody facing this PSU team does. One thing that I see no one has ruled as a possibility, is Iowa getting a fall in there somewhere. This Iowa team is not full of consistent pinners, or even close to it actually, but they do have a few guys capable if something goes even slightly awry. McD, Ramos, Ballweg and Evans are all quite capable of putting someone to their back, and by someone I mean anyone.

Carver Hawkeye is bound to be a powder keg, the adrenaline is going to be lights out, and don't be surprised at all if one of Iowa's guys gets a chance to put a squeeze on one of the Nittany Lions. That possibility as low as it may seem, is far from impossible.

I fully expect a couple of falls from Penn State, not sure where they'll be, could be up to 4 of them. Could be none. Just don't forget Iowa has some fella's that know how to pin people as well. When you least expect it, expect it.

One pin. Ramos.

GO HAWKS !!!!!!!!!

125 - McD by dec

Nico will fail to get his first takedown on the grittier and more seasoned McD. McD will overcome the ballerina splits and pull out the victory.

133- Ramos by Major

Ramos is technically the best guy on the team and it will show against Conway. He really does not have a lot of holes in his game and Conway will have a hard time not getting majored.

141 - Ballweg by Maj

Ballweg gets a a couple big turns to get the maj.

149 - Alton by dec

Kelly survives the first period. Alton gasses in the third but will have too big a lead for Kelly to overcome.

157 - St John by Dec

Alton seems scared to death of shooting on a one legged St John. I see him trying to get this into overtime like last year and St John will pull out a gritty win one way or another.

165- Taylor get a major.

Taylor way to much for Moore, but I think he has enough talent to keep it to a major.

174 - Evans by dec

I think Evans is the worst kinda matchup for Brown. Evans is the type of wrestler that is not going to break from the double handed headgear pull and will outwrestle Brown when they get into any kind of scramble. Brown has turtleback tendencies and if he gets anywhere near his back Evans will not miss the pin.

184 - Ruth by maj

Ruth again too much for Lofthouse but Lofthouse has proven he can keep it close. So just major here.

197 - Wright by fall

I think this is a more interesting matchup than most give it credit. Burak is coming on and is a big athletic 197lber. Wright is super dangerous and could easily get a pin here. If Burak does not get pinned I predict that it will be a close match. Wright hasa history of midseason head scratchers and I could see him having one against a Burak that he underestimates. A win by Burak would not surprise me at all.

HWT - Telford by dec

Telford gets a huge win here.

Iowa 20

PSU 17

Not too bad if you do say so yourself

Nice job Otis.

I had the correct match winners for all as well, but didn't give Iowa enough bonus. If asked who would get the only fall of the dual, I would've guessed 3 or 4 PSU guys first. Ramos brought it. Good night for the Hawks!

125 - McD by dec

Nico will fail to get his first takedown on the grittier and more seasoned McD. McD will overcome the ballerina splits and pull out the victory.

133- Ramos by Major

Ramos is technically the best guy on the team and it will show against Conway. He really does not have a lot of holes in his game and Conway will have a hard time not getting majored.

141 - Ballweg by Maj

Ballweg gets a a couple big turns to get the maj.

149 - Alton by dec

Kelly survives the first period. Alton gasses in the third but will have too big a lead for Kelly to overcome.

157 - St John by Dec

Alton seems scared to death of shooting on a one legged St John. I see him trying to get this into overtime like last year and St John will pull out a gritty win one way or another.

165- Taylor get a major.

Taylor way to much for Moore, but I think he has enough talent to keep it to a major.

174 - Evans by dec

I think Evans is the worst kinda matchup for Brown. Evans is the type of wrestler that is not going to break from the double handed headgear pull and will outwrestle Brown when they get into any kind of scramble. Brown has turtleback tendencies and if he gets anywhere near his back Evans will not miss the pin.

184 - Ruth by maj

Ruth again too much for Lofthouse but Lofthouse has proven he can keep it close. So just major here.

197 - Wright by fall

I think this is a more interesting matchup than most give it credit. Burak is coming on and is a big athletic 197lber. Wright is super dangerous and could easily get a pin here. If Burak does not get pinned I predict that it will be a close match. Wright hasa history of midseason head scratchers and I could see him having one against a Burak that he underestimates. A win by Burak would not surprise me at all.

HWT - Telford by dec

Telford gets a huge win here.

Iowa 20

PSU 17

Not too bad if you do say so yourself

Otis .... Nice call ....

Didn't see the PinFall comming at all.

Iowa brought it, that's for sure.