Sign in to follow this  
Jon_Kozak

Best Weight-2017

After one month of competition, my opinion has changed on the weight I am most interested in watching through March.

It seemed 184 would be the deepest, most interesting weight, however Gabe Dean looks to be a man on a mission and only Bo Nickal appears capable (at this point) of challenging him. We've lost some hammers (Abounader and Miklus) and a two-man race isn't too compelling to me.

At this point 133 takes the spot for "best weight" because of the young talent and if they will have the ability to challenge the established guys. I could see Brock, Gross, Micic, or Eierman knocking off a Richards, Clark or Tomasello. I still would bet one of the latter to win the weight but I wouldn't be surprised to see a freshman make some noise in March. The talent runs deep at this weight and these guys are exciting wrestlers.

Would like to hear your thoughts on the weights you're most interested in seeing play-out through the year.

After one month of competition, my opinion has changed on the weight I am most interested in watching through March.

It seemed 184 would be the deepest, most interesting weight, however Gabe Dean looks to be a man on a mission and only Bo Nickal appears capable (at this point) of challenging him. We've lost some hammers (Abounader and Miklus) and a two-man race isn't too compelling to me.

At this point 133 takes the spot for "best weight" because of the young talent and if they will have the ability to challenge the established guys. I could see Brock, Gross, Micic, or Eierman knocking off a Richards, Clark or Tomasello. I still would bet one of the latter to win the weight but I wouldn't be surprised to see a freshman make some noise in March. The talent runs deep at this weight and these guys are exciting wrestlers.

Would like to hear your thoughts on the weights you're most interested in seeing play-out through the year.

I agree JK that 133 is shaping up to be a great weight with lots of rising talent.  I would also include Nasser from ASU as he makes the adjustments to folkstyle and Scotty Parker from Lehigh as possible challengers.  I do think that 165 also offers a great mix of proven stars (IMar, IJo, Lewis,,Walsh, hopefully Minnotte soon) and new blood (Massa, AV, Vicenzo, possibly Alex M) that will make for great competition.

Nice topic.  

I do think 184 has lost a bit of luster in terms of overall competition, however, it's still incredibly deep, with an emerging Top 2 in Dean / Nickal.

I don't think we should overlook 141.  Although Heil is the returning Champ, there is a LOT of competition and overall depth.  Heck... Meredith is #11 right now based on Flo Rankings.  With McKenna, Jack, Cruz, Kolodzik, Ashnault, just to name a few, any of them could have a good tourney and upset the apple cart.  141 is probably going to shake out to have the most overall parity, without a clear Top 2 emerging by NCAA time.  

125 is also shaping up to be an interesting turn.  Dance seems to be in good form, while Gilman is the man on top.  However, new storylines are emerging with Suriano and this "no-name" JRod kid from tOSU.  As in other years, where we've seen Moisey as runner-up, anything can happen NCAA tourney time (i.e. Dance always losing), and again, we have  weight class with much drama that is yet to unfold.

149 is Zain's to lose, as is Nolf's at 157.  

165 seems to be turning into a two-horse race with IMART and Massa.

174 maintains significant intrigue.  BoJo is finally back on the mat, but is he NCAA champ material?  Will Zahid be a Frosh Champ afterall, and the "next really big thing"?  Epperly and a slew of others will have something to say about all of this by the end of the season.

197 is a 2-horse race between Cox and Pfarr (most likely), with a little intrigue for who else makes the podium.

HWT is Snyder's to lose, with Medberry and Walz nipping at his heals.

So... overall, I would say for overall uncertainty and intrigue, 141, 133, 125 and 174 are the weight classes that I believe will bring the most drama, suspense, and overall interest.  

hmmmm best weight.... 133 I see surprising results in this weight.

beast of the best....... Dean. He has REALLY upped an already VERY tough game.

I think he majors Bo...... Heck I think this years Dean would major last years Dean.

"beast of the best"........ I know I thought of it...... but I like it.

Topic is BEST weight. I take that to mean deepest pool of "quality" wrestlers in a weight class.

Although 133, 141, 165, & 174 are all shaping up to be very good in their own ways, 184 is still hard to match, even with the recent loss of Miklus

Nice topic.  

I do think 184 has lost a bit of luster in terms of overall competition, however, it's still incredibly deep, with an emerging Top 2 in Dean / Nickal.

I don't think we should overlook 141.  Although Heil is the returning Champ, there is a LOT of competition and overall depth.  Heck... Meredith is #11 right now based on Flo Rankings.  With McKenna, Jack, Cruz, Kolodzik, Ashnault, just to name a few, any of them could have a good tourney and upset the apple cart.  141 is probably going to shake out to have the most overall parity, without a clear Top 2 emerging by NCAA time.  

125 is also shaping up to be an interesting turn.  Dance seems to be in good form, while Gilman is the man on top.  However, new storylines are emerging with Suriano and this "no-name" JRod kid from tOSU.  As in other years, where we've seen Moisey as runner-up, anything can happen NCAA tourney time (i.e. Dance always losing), and again, we have  weight class with much drama that is yet to unfold.

149 is Zain's to lose, as is Nolf's at 157.  

165 seems to be turning into a two-horse race with IMART and Massa.

174 maintains significant intrigue.  BoJo is finally back on the mat, but is he NCAA champ material?  Will Zahid be a Frosh Champ afterall, and the "next really big thing"?  Epperly and a slew of others will have something to say about all of this by the end of the season.

197 is a 2-horse race between Cox and Pfarr (most likely), with a little intrigue for who else makes the podium.

HWT is Snyder's to lose, with Medberry and Walz nipping at his heals.

So... overall, I would say for overall uncertainty and intrigue, 141, 133, 125 and 174 are the weight classes that I believe will bring the most drama, suspense, and overall interest.  

I would throw moore into the talk at 197 as well.  I know pfarr kind of gave him the business when they met, but I think he makes the adjustments as the season progresses