Sign in to follow this  
tabenn

Team Rank---Cornell---OSU

Close Match! I would think there is more of a Gap between #1 and #8.  I do believe that all starters competed for both teams.

So is OSU ranked to high or Cornell to low?

I have read some comments this morning stating fluke pins or wins... IMO does not mater--a win is a win.

also--individual rank---- It does not make sense to me that a wrestler keeps a preseason rank even when he dos not compete----Smith for example--Preseason rank of #3---We are a month into the season and last night was his 1st match--and he is still ranked #3???.

Cornell had several starters out

Macri (although Baughman's result was pretty good)

Palacio - may have beat Smith

Sweaney - likely not much better than Scott'S result

I see--so the win could have went the other way. I always give home team advantage. So now knowing this--The questions is the same---is OSU to high or Cornell to low???

I see--so the win could have went the other way. I always give home team advantage. So now knowing this--The questions is the same---is OSU to high or Cornell to low???

Maybe a little of both?

I do think Cornell has a couple of guys wrestling yesterday - Womack, Baughman, maybe Honis - who are still a little undervalued.

Maybe a little of both?

I do think Cornell has a couple of guys wrestling yesterday - Womack, Baughman, maybe Honis - who are still a little undervalued.

Baughman---a non-control fall will always leave room for argument. I do not recall ever seeing Baughman wrestle before this match--but to me he looked like a top 15 guy yo me, although it was a short match. scramble is a style today, I was very surprised to hear that he was not the starter.

Baughman---a non-control fall will always leave room for argument. I do not recall ever seeing Baughman wrestle before this match--but to me he looked like a top 15 guy yo me, although it was a short match. scramble is a style today, I was very surprised to hear that he was not the starter.

He has a couple other decent wins - Josh Tarao (AU) and Sean McCabe - so I'd expect if he stays in the lineup he could be around top 20,   Not a big dropoff, IMO between him and Macri.

Womack is ranked #20 by both Intermat and TOM, but I think he's better than that - he could be a RO12 threat at NCAA's, and the kid scores bonus points - 9 falls this season so far.

Edited by redblades

He is obviously a good scrambler, but let's not forget that Baughman did score on a single leg from offense he generated to score the first TD of the match in the first. It's not like he can't wrestle un-funky.

Piccinini is a very good wrestler who is tough to score on. I expected him to be a little farther along than what I've seen so far in college, but he was and is a stud nonetheless. I had him as one of the handful of best recruits his senior year.

He is obviously a good scrambler, but let's not forget that Baughman did score on a single leg from offense he generated to score the first TD of the match in the first. It's not like he can't wrestle un-funky.

Piccinini is a very good wrestler who is tough to score on. I expected him to be a little farther along than what I've seen so far in college, but he was and is a stud nonetheless. I had him as one of the handful of best recruits his senior year.

Piccinini had some really nice leg attacks just couldnt finish.  Not sure if it was baughmans leg defense (liked to dive through the legs to start a scramble) or if piccinini let up a little bit when he thought the takedown was guarenteed.  Freshman mistakes im sure smith will correct.

Let's not make too much out of the 4 guys who were out for Cornell. The only guy who likely would've reversed the outcome is Palacio, who beat a healthy Jojo at NCAAs and would've been the favorite against a just recovered Jojo. Macri might not have beaten Piccinini at all, let alone stuck him. So the point differential between this exceptional performance by Cornell and what might've happened with a full starting lineup might not be what some think. It wouldn't surprise me if the Cowboys would've won by a point or three more against Cornell's starters.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Let's not make too much out of the 4 guys who were out for Cornell. The only guy who likely would've reversed the outcome is Palacio, who beat a healthy Jojo at NCAAs and would've been the favorite against a just recovered Jojo. Macri might not have beaten Piccinini at all, let alone stuck him. So the point differential between this exceptional performance by Cornell and what might've happened with a full starting lineup might not be what some think. It wouldn't surprise me if the Cowboys would've won by a point or three more against Cornell's starters.

Totally agree, but it sounds good!

.....shaping up to be a really exciting year- -in no particular order..... Oklahoma State, Penn State, Ohio State, Cornell, Iowa, etc.....

Lets not get carried away here, Cornell is not in the same conversation as those other teams at NCAAs. I think this result is as much about OSU underperforming as it is about Cornell performing well. They have a ways to go to expect to break into the top 5 this year. Va Tech and Missouri have very good teams. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Lets not get carried away here, Cornell is not in the same conversation as those other teams at NCAAs. I think this result is as much about OSU underperforming as it is about Cornell performing well. They have a ways to go to expect to break into the top 5 this year. Va Tech and Missouri have very good teams. 

You might be surprised....  

Edited by RED

I think you need to take a look at Intermat's team tournaments ranking to get a feel for just how far behind Cornell is. 

http://intermatwrestle.com/rankings/college/Team

Part of that is that they have Womack (who pinned #8) at #20, Baughman (who pinned #9 and beat #16) as unranked, and Honis (who pushed #5 to the edge of defeat) as unranked, and Realbuto behind both Crutchmer and Kent (both of whom Realbuto beat last time out).  Check back on Tuesday.

Having said that, a top five for Cornell will be tough to accomplish.

I think you need to take a look at Intermat's team tournaments ranking to get a feel for just how far behind Cornell is. 

http://intermatwrestle.com/rankings/college/Team

You mean the same rankings that have PSU at third place, and more than 20 points behind 1st?  :-P

That's sort of the point of the original poster - how much faith do you put in the rankings at this time of the season?  While I'd agree that Cornell isn't at the level of the top 4, I could see them finishing somewhere in that second tier with Mizzou, Va Tech, Nebraska.   I wouldn't count out Wisconsin in the tier, either.

We'll know more about where most teams stand after Midlands and the Scuffle - at least, we'll know more about the teams participating!

Edited by redblades

Part of that is that they have Womack (who pinned #8) at #20, Baughman (who pinned #9 and beat #16) as unranked, and Honis (who pushed #5 to the edge of defeat) as unranked, and Realbuto behind both Crutchmer and Kent (both of whom Realbuto beat last time out).  Check back on Tuesday.

Having said that, a top five for Cornell will be tough to accomplish.

Also consider Realbuto - currently ranked #6, but just beat #4 and he has past wins over Intermat's #3 Casey Kent - at that level, finishing a few  places higher means some significant points.

Edited by redblades

serious question... The Scott's graduated high school in 2010 in NY... How do they still have eligibility left?

Well, first of all, they both graduated 2011 ( http://www.mpnnow.com/article/20110417/NEWS/304179975 ).  They both defered admission for the 2011-12 season, then enrolled at Cornell for 2012-13.  And then both took time off from school/did not compete due to injuries.  So eligibility wise, they have been wrestling 2013 - 2017, though not continuously each season.