Sign in to follow this  
hammerlockthree

Any Matches More Anticipated Than Tomasello/Brock?

You never explained your point, or why my post was nonsensical.

He did, but it was an opinion. He said that folkstyle was more grinding and physical. It makes sense to me, because well, can you imagine being on bottom of the Hughes, Stiebers, and Retherfords of the world... Edited by maolsen

A folkstyle match is much more grinding and physical than a freestyle one.

Of course, this all depends on who you're wrestling. Alex Dieringer probably didn't wrestle a tougher, more grinding match than he did against Yazdani last year. He probably was never manhandled that way in his life. Is Dieringer tough enough to win in elite freestyle? Many "great" ncaa wrestlers who approached untouchable status as upperclassmen have taken beatdowns from the best in the World. Mills, Davis, Schalles, Abas, Askren, Pendleton, Herbert, Taylor, Ware, etc etc. It takes a higher degree of toughness to win at the elite freestyle level than it does to win ncaas. I hope we're not getting a revival of the thoroughly refuted "international wrestlers/wrestling is not tough" meme from yesteryear.

Suriano vs Gilman ~ This match is bound to get chippy. Question for Iowa and PSU fans. Let's say these 2 meet 3 times, do you think one will one sweep the series ?

I am guessing Suriano wins 2 matches to 1 for Gilman.

Gilman will enter that match with a chip on his shoulder the size of a boulder, and the Brands bros. will work the officials over so bad they will be shaking. Plus the Carver crowd will be in full force and effect.

If Gilman loses under those circumstances there will be some serious fireworks. 4th of July stuff.

I see Gilman winning with Suriano closing the gap over time. It will be interesting to see whether or not Suriano keeps his composure and can mount offense in neutral - Gilman is great at disrupting his opponents offense and forcing his game in neutral. Will Suriano weather the storm? If so, the bouts will be close.

I don't think Suriano will surpass Gilman this year because his on-mat skills and physicality are not fully developed - but then I didn't expect Suriano to be as good as he has shown himself to be early in his true freshman year either. I'm characteristically overly pessimistic about freshman going up against experience. Suriano will improve his on-the-mat skills over time, but I don't think 3 months will be enough time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suriano vs Gilman ~ This match is bound to get chippy. Question for Iowa and PSU fans. Let's say these 2 meet 3 times, do you think one will one sweep the series ?

I am guessing Suriano wins 2 matches to 1 for Gilman.

It is tough to pick against Gilman.  He and Suriano are very similar--just that Gilman has 4 years more experience.  This, and what gives Gilman problems is funk similar to Megaludis last year and Teriao (sp) last weekend.  Suriano doesn't do the funk--very fundamental. 

I see Gilman winning with Suriano closing the gap over time. It will be interesting to see whether or not Suriano keeps his composure and can mount offense in neutral - Gilman is great at disrupting his opponents offense and forcing his game in neutral. Will Suriano weather the storm? If so, the bouts will be close.

I don't think Suriano will surpass Gilman this year because his on-mat skills and physicality are not fully developed - but then I didn't expect Suriano to be as good as he has shown himself to be early in his true freshman year either. I'm characteristically overly pessimistic about freshman going up against experience. Suriano will improve his on-the-mat skills over time, but I don't think 3 months will be enough time

I tend to agree, but also think Suriano hypothetically would have no problems with a True Freshman Gilman. 

Isn't Thomas Gilman a senior? Or did you mean closing the gap between now and after college in freestyle? 

I will be rooting for Nick Suriano, but I don't think he's ready for his first match against Gilman. Nick is fortunate to have Mega in the practice room to help game plan for it and his athleticism will probably push Gilman as hard as he's been pushed all season, but TG has the edge in experience, the atmosphere of CHA and of course there will be antics to get into Suriano's head and throw him off of his game. I think Gilman dec 3-1.

It is truly startling to watch people call for this upset based on what we've seen on the mat thusfar.  Gilman has buzzsawed everyone except one guy, and that one guy has zero stylistic similarities to Suriano.  Suriano's season has been a strong debut as a true freshman, but the weight has clear delineations in skill level, and Suriano has never faced anybody of that level and bears little resemblance to the wrestlers who have given Gilman struggles in the past (Terao with the supreme funk, Megaludis with the unnatural flexibility, and human fire hydrant Tomasello).  People just want Gilman to lose.  Nothing we have seen thusfar indicates Suriano is a true threat thusfar.  Gilman is unlikely to bonus Suriano, but I don't think Suriano gets more than one takedown across all three possible matches.

Isn't Thomas Gilman a senior? Or did you mean closing the gap between now and after college in freestyle?

Only talking 'bout Suriano improving between now and March. I think he has much upside potential, but may be too little time. True and agree about having Mega to push is fortunate, it's a valid point, but Mega's style and strengths are so different than Gilman's.

It is truly startling to watch people call for this upset based on what we've seen on the mat thusfar.  Gilman has buzzsawed everyone except one guy, and that one guy has zero stylistic similarities to Suriano.  Suriano's season has been a strong debut as a true freshman, but the weight has clear delineations in skill level, and Suriano has never faced anybody of that level and bears little resemblance to the wrestlers who have given Gilman struggles in the past (Terao with the supreme funk, Megaludis with the unnatural flexibility, and human fire hydrant Tomasello).  People just want Gilman to lose.  Nothing we have seen thusfar indicates Suriano is a true threat thusfar.  Gilman is unlikely to bonus Suriano, but I don't think Suriano gets more than one takedown across all three possible matches.

Don't forget that Gilman lost to a true freshmen at Ncaas.

Of course, this all depends on who you're wrestling. Alex Dieringer probably didn't wrestle a tougher, more grinding match than he did against Yazdani last year. He probably was never manhandled that way in his life. Is Dieringer tough enough to win in elite freestyle? Many "great" ncaa wrestlers who approached untouchable status as upperclassmen have taken beatdowns from the best in the World. Mills, Davis, Schalles, Abas, Askren, Pendleton, Herbert, Taylor, Ware, etc etc. It takes a higher degree of toughness to win at the elite freestyle level than it does to win ncaas. I hope we're not getting a revival of the thoroughly refuted "international wrestlers/wrestling is not tough" meme from yesteryear.

i hate it when someone responds to a post of mine and they still don't understand the initial post.