Sign in to follow this  
wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

Rasoul Khadem just resigned as his positions as Iran Wrestling Federation president and freestyle head coach. and he won't go to Kyrgyzstan

This is related to that Karimi Worlds U23 match, since then Khadem asked for a change in this policy claiming next time UWW will punish Iran very hard.. apparently he didn't get a positive response.

So Talaei and everyone else is gone?

They will coach the team in Asian Champs but no idea what will happen after that.

the sport ministry is not agree with Khadem's resignation, they say they will try to convince him to stay.

Much respect for Khadem for taking a stand.  He made a couple of very profound statements 

1. He said  â€œcannot lie,” adding that “sometimes the best way to take a stand is not to stand,”

2. â€œIf we must continue with the policy of non-competition against the Zionist regime’s athletes… forcing an athlete to accept defeat or run around all night looking for a doctor’s note is not right,” Khadem told the Iranian Student News Agency (ISNA).

Khadem had previously told ISNA that if Iran continues to force athletes to evade competing against Israeli opponents then it should “behave honestly and… accept the consequences.”

While he did not come out and say Iran should stop its policy of avoiding facing Israeli athletes (perhaps because it would be too risky to do so) he came out and said "if we must do it, then we should be honest about it, and have the federation deal with the consequences (instead of having the individual wrestler or coach pay the consequences)

Based on anecdotal information, I believe most Iranians disagree with this stupid policy of avoiding Israeli wrestlers and would love to go back to the pre-revolution days when Iran used do pin Israeli wrestlers left and right.

I salute Khadem and his courage and honesty, and hope this results in a change of policy by the Iranian Wrestling Federation.  Sadly, I am not holding my breath.

They announced the list of qualified wrestlers for the world team trials (which also works for Asian Games trials)

they following wrestlers are directly qualified for the final round. while the rest have to participate in the 1st round and top 4 in each weight advance to the final round.

Final round:

Olympic medalists: Komeil Ghasemi, Hassan Rahimi, Hassan Yazdani

2017 Worlds medalists: Hassan Yazdani

World Juniors or U23 Gold medalists: Mojtaba Goleij

Wild Card: Alireza Karimi, Ezzatollah Akbari

First round list is a bit longer, I only write the notable names, and of course they can change weight, some of them already did. for example some of these 65kg guys will try 61kg and Hosseinkhani will wrestle at 74kg. this is the weight they qualified .

57kg: Nader Hajaghania, Reza Atri, Mehran Rezazadeh

61kg: Iman Sadeghi

65kg: Behnam Ehsanpour, Younes Emami, Hassan Moradgholi, Mesam Nassiri, Morteza Ghiasi, Peiman Biabani

70kg: Ahmad Mohammadi, Mostafa Hosseinkhani

74kg: Hamed Rashidi, Saeid Dadashpour

79kg: Bahman Teymouri, Omid Hassantabar, Alireza Ghasemi

86kg: Ahmad Bazri, Kamran Ghasempour

92kg: Javad Ebrahimi, Arashk Mohebbi, Jamal Mirzaei

97kg: Hossein Shahbazi, Amir Mohammadi, Alireza Goudarzi, Hossein Ramezanian

125kg: Yadollah Mohebbi, Jaber Sadeghzadeh, Amin Taheri, Parviz Hadi

Edited by wrestfan

Things will change if Khadem doesn't change his mind, so far they gave him one month to rest and make a final decision.

but if he continues, the Iran final squad is something like this, of course they have to win the trials but these guys will have advantage

57kg: Atri is their #1 choice, who is terrible, Hajaghania is even worse so I guess they at least hope Atri improves from last year.

61kg: from what I know Rahimi wants to wrestle in this weight. then he will be #1 choice. otherwise they have no other option than Sadeghi.

65kg: they have nobody in this weight, they tried out Emami but he failed. even Meisam Nassiri most probably will move up to 70 or 74.

70kg: they count on Ahmad Mohammadi to recover fully. he lost in Asia but that was his first serious competition after 2 years.

74kg: they made Hosseinkhani move up since Iran is very weak in this weight as well.

79kg: Hassantabar was their #1 but then they switched to Akbari which turned to be a positive change.

86kg: Yazdani, no doubt. I wonder if Karimi stays in this weight.

92kg: they worked few months on Shahbazi but he wasn't convincing, Ebrahimi won the Asian Champs but still he didn't convince as well.

97kg: obviously they count on Goleij but he usually sucks in local competitions against other Iranian wrestlers.

125kg: Mohebbi is failing again and again and they know they can't count on Taheri. they gave a wild card to Hadi to try him out again but still if Komeil recovers they have no other option than him.

In general 2018 Iran won't be good enough to compete with Russia or USA. right now I only think they can medal at 82 and 86kg. but of course Rahimi and Ghasemi will be medal favourite if in shape. the same goes to Ahmad Mohammadi. out of 6 Olympic weights, Iran is pretty weak at 57kg. 65kg and 74kg.

Hajaghania makes Atri look like Saitiev. If Atri can't make 57 anymore it's probably better to just send a junior or something instead of Hajaghania. This guy is the worst wrestler to be on any Iran team at any weight in a long time, including guys like Tahan and Mohammadi.

Also I heard they had a plan for Ghasempour to be at 79. He could probably do well.

We will have the 1st round of Iranian national trials tomorrow. top 4 wrestlers in each weigh qualify for the final round next month. only few selected wrestlers are already qualified for the final round. because of having both Asian Games and the World Championships this year they made it a bit smaller this year .with only 4 or 5 wrestlers in final round.

Komeil Ghasemi (125)

Hassan Yazdani (86)

Hassan Rahimi (57 or 61)

Ezzatollah Akbari (79)

Mojtaba Goleij (97)

Alireza Karimi (86)

now we have the list of registered wrestlers for tomorrow. some big names missed the competition and the 2018 Worlds as well. Reza Yazdani was supposed to wrestle here but he is not fully recovered yet. his coach expects him to be in shape (or at least ready to wrestle) for the final round but now he needs a wild card. Masoud Esmaeilpour also missed the competition by a last minute injury.

here is the list of notable wrestlers

57kg (10 wrestlers): Atri, Rezazadeh, Hajaghania

61kg (10): Sadeghi

65kg (9): Ehsanpour, Biabani, Moradgholi, Emami

70kg (14): Mohammadi, Nassiri, Amouzad

74kg (10): Hosseinkhani, Dadashpour, Rashidi

79kg (11): Ghasemi, Hassantabar, Eliasi, Teymouri

86kg (7): Ghasempour, Bazri

92kg (11): Ebrahimi, Shahbazi, Mohebbi, Mirzaei, Tavakkol

97kg (7): Mohammadi, Nejatian, Goudarzi, Ramezanian

125kg (10): Mohebbi, Taheri, Sadeghzadeh, Shams-Nateri, Hadi

Trials 1st round - finals

57: Reza Atri (Mazandaran) 1-1 Mehran Rezazadeh (Mazandaran)
61: Iman Sadeghi (Mazandaran) 6-4 Bagher Yakhkeshi (Mazandaran)
65: Younes Emami (Tehran) Walkover Peiman Biabani (Tehran)
70: Meisam Nassiri (Zanjan) 5-3 Mehdi Yeganeh-Jafari (Mazandaran)
74: Saeid Dadashpour (Tehran) 4-3 Mostafa Hosseinkhani (Tehran)
79: Omid Hassantabar (Mazandaran) 2-1 Alireza Ghasemi (Tehran)
86: Ahmad Bazri (Mazandaran) 15-4 Alireza Karimi (Hamedan)
92: Mohammad Javad Ebrahimi (Mazandaran) 7-2 Ali Ebrahimi (Khorasan Razavi)
97: Esmaeil Nejatian (Khorasan Razavi) 6-4 Hossein Ramezanian (Mazandaran)
125: Parviz Hadi (East Azarbaijan) 4-0 Jafar Shams-Nateri (Gilan)

* I have to mention that this guy Alireza Karimi (86) is a different person than Alireza Karimi, 2015 world bronze medalist who had a wild card into the final round.

Edited by wrestfan

Detailed results

57: 1) Reza Atri, 2) Mehran Rezazadeh, 3) Nader Hajaghania and Farhad Jalaei

* Atri beat Hajaghania 12-4 in semifinal. the final was boring ended up 1-1 for Atri by cautions. Hajaghania was lucky to finish 3rd, he won his 3rd place match by pin while he was down 13-17 !

61: 1) Iman Sadeghi, 2) Bagher Yakhkeshi, 3) Mohammad Ramezanpour and Mohammad Namjoo-Motlagh

* that was supposed to be easy for Sadeghi. but he had hard time in the final against an unknown guy and just used his experience to survive.

65: 1) Younes Emami, 2) Peiman Biabani, 3) Hassan Moradgholi and Mehran Nassiri

* Behnam Ehsanpour lost 3-0 to Emami in the semis and didn't show up for the 3rd place claiming an injury. I don't think they give him a wild card. another favorite Morteza Ghiasi lost 4-4 to Biabani by a last second takedown and then 7-0 to Moradgholi to miss the final round.

70: 1) Meisam Nassiri, 2) Mehdi Yeganeh-Jafari, 3) Nima Eshfaghi and Mohammad Reza Sargoo

* Ahmad Mohammadi lost 10-5 to Sargoo who also beat Farzad Amouzad 2-1 before losing to Yeganeh in semifinal and eliminate both of them. Nassiri had an easy draw and beat Yeganeh narrowly in the final.

74: 1) Saeid Dadashpour, 2) Mostafa Hosseinkhani, 3) Masoud Kamarvand and Hamed Rashidi

* Hosseinkhani once again lost to Dadashpour with the same scenario of losing points in last seconds despite dominating the match !

79: 1) Omid Hassantabar, 2) Alireza Ghasemi, 3) Mohammad Motaghinia and Mohammad Zare'ei

* while Ghasemi had a very easy draw to the final, Hassantabar had to beat Motaghinia (6-1), Eliasi (4-1) and Teymouri (5-5). Teymouri who was supposed to be a favorite here also didn't show up for the 3rd place match to get eliminated.

86: 1) Ahmad Bazri, 2) Alireza Karimi, 3) Kamran Ghasempour, 4) Hamed Ashegh-Hosseini

* with 7 wrestlers, we had pool round and Ghasempour dominated his group before losing by an accident to Karimi in the semis. he got pinned while he was leading 7-2 !

92: 1) Javad Ebrahimi, 2) Ali Ebrahimi, 3) Reza Bayat and Mehdi Hedayati

* with all favorite in bottom part of the draw. Shahbazi lost 3-1 to Bayat. Arashk Mohebbi beat Jamal Mirzaei 3-1 and Ebrahimi beat former world junior champion Tavakkol 7-0. in QF Ebrahimi also beat Mohebbi 2-2 and then Bayat 6-4 in the semis. Bayat also beat Mohebbi 13-3 in repechage to get the final spot for the final round.

97: 1) Esmaeil Nejatian, 2) Hossein Ramezanian, 3) Alireza Goudarzi, 4) Danial Shariatinia

* Nejatian, Ramezanian and Amir Mohammadi were in the same pool and they all finished 2-1. Mohammadi beat Ramezanian 8-4 but lost to Nejatian 4-4. Ramezanian beat Nejatian 14-6 to win the group and Mohammadi got eliminated finishing 3rd in the group. Nejatian beat former World team member Goudarzi 3-2 in the semis and then took revange and beat Ramezanian this time 6-4. Ramezanian was leading most of the match but gave up a TD and a gut wrench in last 30 seconds.

125: 1) Parviz Hadi, 2) Jafar Shams-Nateri, 3) Yadollah Mohebbi and Amin Taheri

* Hadi was a big surprise here. he beat Sadeghzadeh 7-0. Mohebbi 2-0 and Shams 4-0 in the final. Mohebbi narrowly beat Sadeghzadeh in repechage 4-3 to at least make it to the final round. on other part of the draw Shams pinned Taheri in the semis.

Edited by wrestfan

Hmmm.. ok. I had not followed wrestling for a while and read the results on IAWF site and almost spat my food when i saw Bazri beat Karimi. Then I read this thread and I see it's a guy with the same name, lol.

Khadem is back again also? He left for like two days. What happened?

Hmmm.. ok. I had not followed wrestling for a while and read the results on IAWF site and almost spat my food when i saw Bazri beat Karimi. Then I read this thread and I see it's a guy with the same name, lol.

Khadem is back again also? He left for like two days. What happened?

lol yeah I was surprised to see his name in the list but then I noticed he is listed from Hamedan (not Alborz) , this is interesting they share exactly the same name and the same bodyweight !

yes he is back. the wrestling community "convinced" him to change his mind. he left for a month actually

update:

They award two wild cards for the final round. Ahmad Mohammadi (65kg) and Reza Yazdani (97kg) ! apparently they were not satisfied with 65kg level and now they want Mohammadi to cut weight and try his chance in this weight.

also Mohammad Javad Ebrahimi (92) and Meisam Nassiri (70) now have this right to not participate in the trials. they are somwhow already selected for the world team. even though they still will have the trials in these two weights with 5 other wrestlers and if the winner impresses them, they will send him and Ebrahimi/Nassiri to an international competition.

a bit of Greco, here is the complete list of qualified wrestlers for the final trials

wrestlers in bold are direct qualifier or received wild card later. the rest are top 4 from the 1st round trials. Mardani, Salehizadeh and Mehdizadeh received their wild cards before the 1st round of trials but the rest got that after losing in the trials.

55kg:

Moslem Naderi-Khadem

Ramin Bastan

Javad Faraz-Farouji

Amin Moradkhani

Reza Khedri (trials 5th place to replace Naderi-Khadem)

Pouya Dadmarz (World Junior Champion)

* Naderi-Khadem won't wrestle in final round, he is almost already selected. they will send him and the final round winner to an international competition.

60kg:

Mehrdad Mardani

Reza Abbasi

Mohammad Faghiri

Kianoush Ghazanfarian

Behrouz Maleki

Keramat Abdevali (World Junior Champion, also can wrestle at 63kg)

63kg:

Mohammad Nourbakhsh

Mohsen Hajipour

Meisam Delkhani

Iman Davoudi

Saman Abdevali (Wild Card)

67kg:

Hossein Asadi

Mohammd Reza Geraei

Amin Souri

Hamed Tab

Amin Kavianinejad (World Junior Champion)

* Last year world team member Mohammad Eliasi is currently injured and will miss the trials. he will wrestle the top 3 from the final round trials later and has to beat all 3 of them to make the team.

72kg:

Mohammad Ali Geraei (2017 World Medalist)

Boroumand Aslan

Erfan Saadatifar

Ali Arsalan

Asghar Aali-Mahmoudi

Farshad Belfakkeh (Wild Card)

Majid Khalili (Wild Card)

* Geraei most probably will wrestle at 77kg.

77kg:

Saeid Abdevali (2017 World Medalist)

Rasoul Garmsiri

Mohammad Shorbi-Niazi

Siavash Doostarian

Pejman Poshtam

82kg:

Mehdi Ebrahimi

Mehdi Mohammadzadeh

Keivan Rezaei

Abolfazl Sahebkari

Yousef Ghaderian (Wild Card)

87kg:

Hossein Nouri (2017 World Medalist)

Mehdi Fallah

Mehdi Bali

Ali Gheitasi

Iman Ansari

97kg:

Mostafa Salehizadeh

Ali Akbari Heidari

Amir Hossein Miri

Mohammad Yeganeh

Mohammad Beiranvand

Amir Hossein Hosseini (Wild Card)

* 2016 Olympic medalist Ghasem Rezaei is in the list but he made it clear that he is not going to wrestle this year.

130kg:

Behnam Mehdizadeh

Shahab Ghourehjili

Majid Aliyari

Parsa Nazari

Mehdi Nouri

Edited by wrestfan

update:

They award two wild cards for the final round. Ahmad Mohammadi (65kg) and Reza Yazdani (97kg) ! apparently they were not satisfied with 65kg level and now they want Mohammadi to cut weight and try his chance in this weight.

also Mohammad Javad Ebrahimi (92) and Meisam Nassiri (70) now have this right to not participate in the trials. they are somwhow already selected for the world team. even though they still will have the trials in these two weights with 5 other wrestlers and if the winner impresses them, they will send him and Ebrahimi/Nassiri to an international competition.

Reza Yazdani back to the mats? Wow! Never thought this coming, one of my favorite wrestlers of all time, I hope he returns in good shape.

Reza Yazdani back to the mats? Wow! Never thought this coming, one of my favorite wrestlers of all time, I hope he returns in good shape.

not a sure thing yet. but he is training for months. still not sure if he recovers in time for the trials (in 15 days)