Sign in to follow this  
wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

What happened to Ghasem Rezaei in greco, did he retire?

Also this FS team looks worse than the last one and that one was crap in 2017. Khadem will really be tested as a coach if he does not make any changes from trials. 

not officially, I believe he didn't wrestle this year because of Salehizadeh. even though he is aging and I don't think he can win anymore. btw even Sourian and Noroozi are not retired officially, Sourian doesn't talk to media , so nobody knows about his plan but Noroozi sometimes speak about continuing his career here and there. even though I believe they are all done.

I think this team is more or less the same. not weaker because weaker than that is impossible lol. since now we have 79 and 92. I think Iran will win more than just one medal this year. beside that we are still months away from the Worlds, there is still time for some of those veterans to come back. I think they will take Reza Yazdani's comeback more seriously after Goleij disastrous performance . I'm sure they don't want to send Goudarzi. they don't like him.

i think only Atri, Nassiri, Hosseinkhani and Yazdani are already secured their spot. changes are possible for other 6 weights.

Big decision by the technical committee. they gave no chance to Ghasemi, Rahimi, R. Yazdani and Esmaeilpour, they all asked for another trial with documents about their injuries but they are all out for this year .

Iran squad for the Asian Games and the Worlds will be only from this list, mostly #1 and #2 of the trials

57: Atri - Rezazadeh

61: Yakhkeshi - Ramezanpour

65: Moradgholi - Mehran Nassiri - Emami

70: Meisam Nassiri - Eshfaghi

74: Hosseinkhani - Dadashpour

79: Hassantabar - Ghasemi - Akbari

86: Yazdani - Ghasempour

92: Ebrahimi - Karimi

97: Goudarzi - Goleij

125: Hadi - Mohebbi

also no chance for Sadeghi, they didn't accept his injury excuse , outside of trial finalists only Emami and Akbari are still in the list. Emami lost two very close bouts and he is much younger than Moradgholi. but I'm surprised about Akbari he was disastrous.

I think we can be 99% sure that Atri, Meisam Nassiri, Yazdani are already selected. I can add Yakhkeshi to the list as well since he dominated Ramezanpour in the final, probably the only one-sided final. I also think Hosseinkhani will go Jakarta for sure if he medals they will send him to the worlds as well.

also in Greco they published such a list, no Abdevali and he will miss the AG and the Worlds for sure.

I am surprised. Last year when we saw that video in Paris after the world championships were they were sitting around the table and Khadem was telling them off I thought for sure they would send the best team they could this year no matter what. This is not the same team at most weights but similar level guys. 

I am surprised. Last year when we saw that video in Paris after the world championships were they were sitting around the table and Khadem was telling them off I thought for sure they would send the best team they could this year no matter what. This is not the same team at most weights but similar level guys. 

as far as I remember, he mostly criticized Mohammadi, Yarahmadi and Ehsanpour and we didn't see them this year ! Mohammadi was very unlucky in the 1st round. and Ehsanpour got injured. none of them got a wild card for the final round.

Khadem rarely criticized Atri and Hosseinkhani, can't remember what he said about Nassiri but they know he is their only option.

Rahimi, Ghasemi and R. Yazdani didn't wrestle for a while. I assume they are not ready at all.

We were supposed to know Iran's main team after these tournaments in Georgia and Turkey.

for now their focus is on the Asian Games. I think Atri, Hosseinkhani and Yazdani are there for sure. and almost the same for Hadi. he won the trials convincingly and they didn't send him anywhere to "test' him.

they tested Emami, Moradgholi and Mehran Nasiri in Georgia. none of them were convincing. Emami and Nasiri both lost to Bajrang while Moradgholi lost to a Russian guy. again they sent Moradgholi and Nasiri to Turkey. Moradgholi lost to an Azeri guy and Nasiri has to face him in the final tomorrow. I think if Nasiri wins they will send him to Jakarta.

and at 97. they sent Goudarzi to Georgia he lost in 1st round. then they gave another chance to their favorite Goleij. who is now in the final vs Alborov. while Goudarzi got teched by Snyder. if Goleij wins the final I think they have enough reasons to pick him. Goleij always sucks in local competitions but his boring style usually works better against non-Iranian wrestlers.

Moradgholi and Goudarzi won the trials but we knew Khadem doesn't like them. they are not young. and now they gave Khadem enough reasons to not pick them.

and in another news. Meisam Nasiri announced he is not going to the Worlds this year and he wants to retire from the national team !! even though I'm sure we won't miss him much but that leaves Iran without any option for 70kg. the next guy Nima Eshfaghi is a nobody.

This team is weak, you can see from the results here and in Georgia. Khadem is a good coach but I don't think he can do anything with them. Sometimes the guys don't have the talent. Honestly Iran will probably be weak for the next few years, including the next Olympics. I do not see anyone really coming up. I know they won cadet worlds easily even despite some fluke losses to worse opponents and had some very talented wrestlers but those guys will not get to seniors for another few years. I predict 1 medal at worlds this year. 

Edited by Shiraz123

This team is weak, you can see from the results here and in Georgia. Khadem is a good coach but I don't think he can do anything with them. Sometimes the guys don't have the talent. Honestly Iran will probably be weak for the next few years, including the next Olympics. I do not see anyone really coming up. I know they won cadet worlds easily even despite some fluke losses to worse opponents and had some very talented wrestlers but those guys will not get to seniors for another few years. I predict 1 medal at worlds this year. 

I agree with you , this team is weak but I think they can win more than one medal. probably 2 or 3. (or maybe I'm too optimistic) I think medal is very much possible in 92kg. last year some of them lost narrowly to the eventual medalists. which means with a bit more luck and little push they were not that far from a medal. but of course this Iran is much weaker than Russia or USA.

btw I see Younes Emami is wrestling at 70kg in Turkey tomorrow. maybe that's their solution for 70kg !

I agree with you , this team is weak but I think they can win more than one medal. probably 2 or 3. (or maybe I'm too optimistic) I think medal is very much possible in 92kg. last year some of them lost narrowly to the eventual medalists. which means with a bit more luck and little push they were not that far from a medal. but of course this Iran is much weaker than Russia or USA.

btw I see Younes Emami is wrestling at 70kg in Turkey tomorrow. maybe that's their solution for 70kg !

Yes I saw Younes at 70 also. We will see what he can do there. 70 is not a great weight. Whoever wins this weight since 2014 usually goes to 74, and most of the best guys are Russian so you only have to wrestle one of them at worlds. This is why you see some wrestlers at the level of James Green, Hosseinkhani and Yakup Gor winning medals here. Maybe Emami can do something but even here I doubt it. Regardless I think the coaches like Emami as they are giving him a lot of chances to show himself, so they will send him over Eshfaghi in my opinion. Very funny that they let a wrestler as bad as Nasiri skip the trials and now he doesn't want to be on the team. I actually laughed when I read that. 

Yes I saw Younes at 70 also. We will see what he can do there. 70 is not a great weight. Whoever wins this weight since 2014 usually goes to 74, and most of the best guys are Russian so you only have to wrestle one of them at worlds. This is why you see some wrestlers at the level of James Green, Hosseinkhani and Yakup Gor winning medals here. Maybe Emami can do something but even here I doubt it. Regardless I think the coaches like Emami as they are giving him a lot of chances to show himself, so they will send him over Eshfaghi in my opinion. Very funny that they let a wrestler as bad as Nasiri skip the trials and now he doesn't want to be on the team. I actually laughed when I read that. 

yeah obviously they think they see something in Emami. I hope they are right but he doesn't show anything great yet.

I can't understand Nasiri's decision. just doesn't make sense. he wrestled in trials 1st round and won it. his final opponent Yeganeh-Jafari is now udner investigation for doping. they just have no other option ! I don't even know much about this Eshfaghi guy.

speaking of Asian Games. I think Iran's team will be Atri, Nasiri, Hosseinkhani, Yazdani, Goleij and Hadi. I wonder how many gold medals they can win ?! I think the only unbeatable wrestler in Asia is Yazdani himself which means there is chance for gold for the rest of Iranian wrestlers. even though for some of them the chance is very slim.

Atri is OK, but the level is good in Asia in this weight, even a bronze will be great for him. his chance for gold is almost zero

Nasiri just beat the current Asian Champion Niyazbekov. looks like he is getting better. still not a favorite for gold "at all" this Indian guy Bajrang usually knows how to beat the Iranian wrestlers. there is a chance for him to win a medal. even the gold medal but I don't count on that.

Hosseinkhani is one of the favorites here. alongside with Evloev, Abdurakhmanov, Ganzorig and couple more wrestlers. none of them are better than Hosseinkhani but for winning the gold you have to win 2-3 tough matches that's what I can't see in Hosseinkhani. he can't win 2-3 close matches in a row.

you never can be sure but I think Yazdani will win the gold here.

I think it's fair to say there is only one wrestler standing in Goleij's way to the gold. Ibragimov. who beat Iranian wrestlers left and right recently ! R. Yazdani. A. Mohammadi, Shahbazi and Goleij himself (do I miss anybody else ?) I don't think this guy is unbeatable. Goleij just had the wrong tactic against him in Asian Champs. I think that will be 50/50 or maybe I'm optimistic here.

Hadi won the Asian Games last time quite easily but this time there will be two Georgian wrestlers representing UZB and QAT. but I think he has a good chance beating all of them but you never can be sure about Hadi. sometimes his brain just freezes but he was good during the trials still almost lost it to Mohebbi despite being much better.

so in short, I expect one from Yazdani plus one or two more. most probably from Hadi or Goleij. but even winning two golds won't be a "good result" for them. but that's the realistic prediction with this team.

PS: OCA (Olympic council of Asia) has different rules about being "eligible" we may not see some of these foreign wrestlers in Jakarta. if i'm not wrong you have to live 3 years somewhere to be eligible. so likes of Sakandelidze, Modzmanashvili . Evloev etc have some problems here. even though of course they easily can forge documents as they always do.

Yazdani wins 86 easily? That dude that beat him down and pinned him has been mopping up everyone in his path this season. Not saying Yaz won’t win it. But proclaiming he wins easy, pretty bold statement.

things are a bit more clear after Yasar Dogu. Ebrahimi beat Karimi once again. I wonder if that's enough for him to get the spot ?! even though I still believe Karimi wrestles better against non-Iranian wrestlers but Ebrahimi is 2-0 now. that will hard for them to justify giving Karimi another chance. but I know they feel they owe Karimi something after that World U23 Israel story.

Mehran Nasiri most probably secured the 65kg spot at least for the Asian Games. at least he is much younger and better than Moradgholi. Emami also wasn't bad at 70kg specially in first day he only lost 10-10 to Bajrang but then he lost easily in bronze medal match. still probably the best Iran got here.

Yakhkeshi won the gold here. I know he didn't wrestle any big guy and had couple of close wins but still I like this guy. they gave Ehsanpour and Sadeghi so many chances and this guy is wrestling better than them in his 2nd international experience (if I'm not wrong)

Mohebbi was disappointing once again. I thought last year's experience will help him improve (he wasn't far from a world medal in Paris) but I was very wrong. Hadi is the best we got right now.

they tried Dadashpour here once again. I really think this guy is a waste of time. he beat Hosseinkhani couple of time only because Hosseinkhani is not that good either. I can't say which weight is weaker in Iran, 74 ? 57 ? 65 ? or 97 ? or even 125 ?!

last not least Goleij was disappointing in the final. but Goudarzi was even worse. I know they want Goleij but losing 10-0 in the final made it hard for them to pick Goleij without creating a story. Goudarzi beat him convincingly in the trials. but he is old and had a doping story.

so Iran's world team will be something like this (of course Asian Games results will matter and we may see some changes after the AG)

57 Atri

61 Yakhkeshi

65 Nassiri

70 Emami

74 Hosseinkhani

79 Hassantabar

86 Yazdani

92 Ebrahimi

97 Goleij

125 Hadi

pretty weak team unfortunately

Funnily enough I looked at the team points and we only finished 4 points behind this supposedly incredible Team USA. Take into account we did not enter a wrestler at 2 weights and had 9 wrestlers total compared to their 10. Also that was their A team, a few of these guys were the B guy for Iran. That surprised me that we were that close in points ( USA 150, Iran 146).

Regardless after watching most of the tournament I am not encouraged about Iran. The American team is probably nothing special. I agree with you on Ebrahimi. I remember in Tbilisi a few weeks ago he killed himself to beat Marsagashvili on criteria 2 - 2 then Karimi easily took Marsagashvili down multiple times to win like 8 - 0 very very comfortabtly in the repechage.

Edited by Shiraz123

I read interviews with Khadem's assistants . they claim nothing is decided between Karimi and Ebrahimi because they still have "time" to decide. as I said they feel they owe Karimi something because of that Israel story. I believe Karimi is better but Ebrahimi beat him twice.

they are very disappointed with both Goleij and Goudarzi. looks like Goleij is not a sure thing yet. they were also disappointed with Emami and the way he "gives up" easily. but it seems Mehran Nassiri and Yakhkeshi already secured their spot.

I read interviews with Khadem's assistants . they claim nothing is decided between Karimi and Ebrahimi because they still have "time" to decide. as I said they feel they owe Karimi something because of that Israel story. I believe Karimi is better but Ebrahimi beat him twice.

they are very disappointed with both Goleij and Goudarzi. looks like Goleij is not a sure thing yet. they were also disappointed with Emami and the way he "gives up" easily. but it seems Mehran Nassiri and Yakhkeshi already secured their spot.

Can you send the link please?

Iran's squad is now official for the Asian Games.

57 Reza Atri or Mehran Rezazadeh

65 Mehran Nasiri

74 Mostafa Hosseinkhani

86 Hassan Yazdani

97 Alireza Karimi

125 Parviz Hadi

I don't know why also put Rezazadeh's name here. maybe Atri is a bit injured but the biggest surprise was at 97kg ! nobody expected such decision. but it seems that's just temporary and for the Asian Games. because they said they will send 4 wrestlers to Medved tournament to decide the World team member. Alireza Goudarzi, Mojtaba Goleij. Esmaeil Nejatian and a familiar name Reza Yazdani !

and it seems I was wrong about Emami being fixed at 70kg. they didn't even invite him to the new national camp ! looks like Farzad Amouzad is the new guy they are going to test. Hassantabar is also just disappeared, instead we have Ezzatollah Akbari being re-invited to the camp.

Edited by wrestfan

What happened to Jamal Ebadi? Talented wrestler.

looks like he has some serious congenital health issues. they just found out before the World U23 Champs last year and we didn't see him since then. I assume we won't see him anymore (I hope I'm wrong though)

Yazdani is almost guaranteed to make the team unless he gets injured. I wonder if Atri has some issues with the weight? I think that's why he missed the asian championships and they send Hajaghania.

Yazdani is almost guaranteed to make the team unless he gets injured. I wonder if Atri has some issues with the weight? I think that's why he missed the asian championships and they send Hajaghania.

I wonder if they even talked to Yazdani before announcing this. is he even ready or motivated to wrestle ? we know he was training but he never wrestled anywhere after the Olympics. but Yazdani at 50% or even less can beat those guys easily.

but I'm not sure if sending Karimi was a good idea. he is too small against someone big like Ibragimov. if they wanted to just win a medal. any other wrestler could win that , this weight is pretty weak in Asia but for winning the gold they need someone to beat Ibragimov.

yeah you are right Atri missed the Asian Champs for that reason. but he had/has enough time to make weight. btw I never imagined one day we will be worry about Atri making weight / injured or not lol after all this is a tough weight in Asia, even Hassan Rahimi failed to win a medal in Asian Games both times he tried.