wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

just read an interview with Barzegar (technical committee member) he says they put Rezazadeh's name on the list because coaches believe Atri is training half-hearted ! they probably just want to keep Atri motivated, no big deal I guess

he also said he tried hard to convince the rest to pick Reza Yazdani directly for the Asian Games ! but coaches believe that's not possible because he didn't train in national camp in past 2 years and they know nothing about his current situation ! but if he accepts they want to test him in an international tournament and it seems if just shows up and wrestles mediocre they will pick him for the Worlds ! he also confirmed that this is just temporary for Karimi he will be back to 92kg after the AG.

He isn't the head coach just one of the coaches. Khadem is the head coach.

Thanks.  The article you posted refereed to him as the coach, so I incorrectly assumed they meant the head coach

Reza Atri got the spot at 57 for Asian games. This is probably the only interesting weight at Asian games in terms of giving an idea for success at worlds. Takahashi and Erdenbat (Mongolia) were by far the 2 best wrestlers at 57kg worlds last year and got gold and bronze. They were head and shoulders above everyone else and I know Takahashi will wrestle here and hopefully Erdenbat does also. I think Reza has absolutely no chance but we will see if he can surprise everyone.

Karimi saved the day for Iran. didn't expect him to win the gold like this.. but seriously I'm starting to hate Hosseinkhani. this guy is unreal. Nassiri was also terrible. Atri performed up to his potential. bronze was the most we should expect from him.

Iran is so bad at 74. We have Hosseinkhani and Dadashpour. Both of them are a waste of time. The guys Hosseinkhani lost to have a small chance for a medal at worlds. Abdurakhmanov could not get one in Rio or Paris so it show it shows how far he is from the medal threats.

Karimi shut the mouths of the people crying about Khadem sending him. I even saw some before saying why did they not sent Goleij or Goudarzi? He is 10 X the wrestler they are, especially compared to Goleij.

Iran is so bad at 74. We have Hosseinkhani and Dadashpour. Both of them are a waste of time. The guys Hosseinkhani lost to have a small chance for a medal at worlds. Abdurakhmanov could not get one in Rio or Paris so it show it shows how far he is from the medal threats.

Karimi shut the mouths of the people crying about Khadem sending him. I even saw some before saying why did they not sent Goleij or Goudarzi? He is 10 X the wrestler they are, especially compared to Goleij.

losing is one thing but the way Hosseinkhani keeps losing is something different. he is consistently losing winnable matches, if you watch his match vs Abdurakhmonov he was actually the better wrestler for most of the match but then he wanted to sit on a 2-2 lead and as usual gave up a late takedown. and he never learns from his mistakes. I can't believe someone this experienced still doing the same mistakes. and yes you are right about Iran being so bad at 74, Dadashpour is even worse. Iran is also very weak at 65 and 70 ! so there is nobody to move up to 74 and take the spot.

I wonder if Karimi considers to staying at 97. but he was very clearly smaller than his opponents.

They are poor in a lot of weights. Let's be honest (outside of Karimi and Yazdani) everybody lost to the first good wrestler they hit in the bracket. Only Atri beat Tomar before losing to Erdenbat. Tomar is not bad so you can say Atri got one OK win before losing. Hosseinkhani lost to both of the good wrestlers he faced and it showed no matter who is beside the mat, Khadem or Talai, he will still make the same mistake again and again and again. I think it showed we have absolutely no chance for a medal at 57 - 65 - 74 and that's not even counting the non-olympic weights that were not wrestled here. We will see what Hadi does tomorrow. 

Edited by Shiraz123

Reza Yazdani had a comeback to the mat, in a league match he beat Ali Mojerloo 10-0 but at 92kg !!

Yazdani didn't talk to the federation at all and he missed Medev and Korkin tournaments , which means he won't wrestle in the Worlds this year 99%.

here is the link for the dual (Yazdani at 1:15.00)

http://www.telewebion.com/episode/1884441

looks like he still has it, Mojerloo isn't that bad. I wonder what's in his mind, some people say his main reason was to wrestle at the Asian Games winning his 4th gold medal. national coaches still has no idea what he wants to do.

btw I didn't follow the league that much but there are some big foreign wrestlers there, you can see Edisherashvili here winning the first match in the dual. I know Sadullaev wrestled once few weeks ago.

Edit: just checked the results, Saduallev beat Danial Shariati 10-0, we also had Russian match between Tsabolov and Gazimagomedov , Tsabolov wins by fall.

Edited by wrestfan

رضا اطری- باقر یخکشی (مازندران) یونس امامی (تهران) حسن یزدانی(مازندران) علیرضا کریمی (البرز) مجتبی گلیج (مازندران) پرویز هادی (آ.شرقی)

They put out this list for those invited to training. Do you think this is Khadem announcing his team? Only thing weird is they are missing either a 65 or 70 depending on where they want Emami. Also no one at 74. 

Edited by Shiraz123

رضا اطری- باقر یخکشی (مازندران) یونس امامی (تهران) حسن یزدانی(مازندران) علیرضا کریمی (البرز) مجتبی گلیج (مازندران) پرویز هادی (آ.شرقی)

They put out this list for those invited to training. Do you think this is Khadem announcing his team? Only thing weird is they are missing either a 65 or 70 depending on where they want Emami. Also no one at 74. 

Part of the team yes. because of economical crisis in Iran they canceled all international tournaments they wanted to participate . so no more test outside the country. and apparently there won't be any "inside the camp" trials. they will just announce the team based on what they already knew !

I only know Atri, Yakhkeshi and Yazdani are 100%. and most probably Hadi and Hosseinkhani. and I have absolutely no idea about 97kg, but I guess it will be either Karimi or Goleij. I say Karimi because it will be hard to justify not sending Ebrahimi at 92

They won the team titles for cadet and junior greco last year also, this year they won cadets again (along with winning the cadet FS team title) and seem to be on course for the junior title again. The junior team for FS flopped last year but they had a very strong tournament at cadet worlds a few months ago. I wonder if the coaches will get fired for junior FS if they have another poor tournament.

The Greco team did great and this is a bit weird since Freestyle is much more popular in Iran, there are much more freestyle wrestlers in Iran than Greco wrestlers .

Iran got a bit weak in Greco after some of those stars (Sourian Noroozi etc) got old or retired but it seems they are working better on youth levels. winning 4 gold medals here is something, I will be happy if the freestyle team win half of that !

speaking of Greco, they are giving Abdevali another chance for an internal trial at 82kg. he and his brothers made a mess during the trials.

The Greco team did great and this is a bit weird since Freestyle is much more popular in Iran, there are much more freestyle wrestlers in Iran than Greco wrestlers .

Iran got a bit weak in Greco after some of those stars (Sourian Noroozi etc) got old or retired but it seems they are working better on youth levels. winning 4 gold medals here is something, I will be happy if the freestyle team win half of that !

speaking of Greco, they are giving Abdevali another chance for an internal trial at 82kg. he and his brothers made a mess during the trials.

Hope he makes the team at 82. 16 kg high than his first weight where he won a world title.

Edited by gutfirst

LOL Khadem is here coaching the coaches again! I see him in the crowd! He got into an argument with Tavakoli after our 97kg wrestler got pinned by Russia. A few days ago the video popped up on Youtube of Yazdani when he destroyed Yasar at the Islamic games a year ago (his first great tournament at 86) but it was from a different angle. From the angle of this video ( a guy filming in the crowd) you could see Khadem on the opposite side giving instructions to Talei from the crowd while Talei is giving instructions to Yazdani. He seriously can not stay out of it. 

Shirazi and wrestfan, how far are these juniors from wrestling at the senior levels?  are any of them ready now?

I doubt it. Let's remember we have had some very dominant junior world champions over the past few years who have failed in seniors. For example I remember in 2016 when Shahbazi won junior worlds very easily at 96kg. The Russian at that weight who he beat without trouble was seen by Russian fans as a strong hope for gold. The weight in Iran was also weak with Yazdani gone. Mohammadi ended up making the world team the year after and he was horrible. So at the time I thought there was some hope for Shahbazi. But he has not been able to do much in seniors outside of a silver medal in the Asian championships, which is nothing special at the higher weights. And he looked very strong at junior worlds but could not even make it through a world team where his competition was Goleij, Tahan and Mohammadi, and in the end a wrestler at the calibre of Mohammadi made the team. This is just one example for you, there are a few more. I would not get my hopes up about these guys even if they win gold. I think we will be weak for a few years. I was impressed with some of the wrestlers on the recent cadet team, though. Especially Abdollahi at 92.