wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

LOL Khadem is here coaching the coaches again! I see him in the crowd! He got into an argument with Tavakoli after our 97kg wrestler got pinned by Russia. A few days ago the video popped up on Youtube of Yazdani when he destroyed Yasar at the Islamic games a year ago (his first great tournament at 86) but it was from a different angle. From the angle of this video ( a guy filming in the crowd) you could see Khadem on the opposite side giving instructions to Talei from the crowd while Talei is giving instructions to Yazdani. He seriously can not stay out of it. 

I, for one, do not want him to stay out.  I would much rather the wrestlers get instructions from Khadem than Talaie or any of those other guys

I don't think it's a good idea to have somebody coaching the coach while he coaches the wrestler. If he also wants to be the junior team coach then he has to power to give himself that job, so it's better to just be on the side of the mat with the wrestler than in the crowd.

I don't think it's a good idea to have somebody coaching the coach while he coaches the wrestler. If he also wants to be the junior team coach then he has to power to give himself that job, so it's better to just be on the side of the mat with the wrestler than in the crowd.

That I agree with.  He should just coach, not coach the coach

Shirazi and wrestfan, how far are these juniors from wrestling at the senior levels?  are any of them ready now?

well in freestyle looks like we don't have a good team this year too. but in Greco we may see some of these guys in senior team soon. Kavianinejad almost made it to the senior team this year (he finished 3rd in trials)

Yazdani and Karimi both made it to the senior team the next year they won the World Junior title. but since then we didn't get anything special out of junior teams. as Shiraz123 mentioned Shahbazi did absolutely nothing since his world title , Biabani is still losing to likes of Moradgholi !

but from last year World junior medalist. Bazri is not that bad and we may see Emami in world seniors this year. even though to be honest not because he is very good. just because there is nobody else !

Two gold medals in freestyle is not terrible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You think this team is going to win two gold medals ? I hope but I doubt that. I hope they at least win one. Iran had just one finalist after the first day and two of our wrestlers didn't even finish the first period when they faced Russia.

You think this team is going to win two gold medals ? I hope but I doubt that. I hope they at least win one. Iran had just one finalist after the first day and two of our wrestlers didn't even finish the first period when they faced Russia.

Perhaps I am/was overly optimistic.  I was not aware of our poor performance against the Russians

LOL Khadem is here coaching the coaches again! I see him in the crowd! He got into an argument with Tavakoli after our 97kg wrestler got pinned by Russia. A few days ago the video popped up on Youtube of Yazdani when he destroyed Yasar at the Islamic games a year ago (his first great tournament at 86) but it was from a different angle. From the angle of this video ( a guy filming in the crowd) you could see Khadem on the opposite side giving instructions to Talei from the crowd while Talei is giving instructions to Yazdani. He seriously can not stay out of it.

I doubt it. Let's remember we have had some very dominant junior world champions over the past few years who have failed in seniors. For example I remember in 2016 when Shahbazi won junior worlds very easily at 96kg. The Russian at that weight who he beat without trouble was seen by Russian fans as a strong hope for gold. The weight in Iran was also weak with Yazdani gone. Mohammadi ended up making the world team the year after and he was horrible. So at the time I thought there was some hope for Shahbazi. But he has not been able to do much in seniors outside of a silver medal in the Asian championships, which is nothing special at the higher weights. And he looked very strong at junior worlds but could not even make it through a world team where his competition was Goleij, Tahan and Mohammadi, and in the end a wrestler at the calibre of Mohammadi made the team. This is just one example for you, there are a few more. I would not get my hopes up about these guys even if they win gold. I think we will be weak for a few years. I was impressed with some of the wrestlers on the recent cadet team, though. Especially Abdollahi at 92.

This happens in the US too

Stud 19 year olds who never quite reach expectations

It’s got to be tough to deal with mentally.

I lost count how many times Iranians lost the match in last 20 seconds. I think it happened 4 times today. looks like they look at Hosseinkhani as their role model ! the last one was even worse Maghsoudi in 65kg gold medal match. it can't be just accident. obviously there is something wrong with them losing so many matches in last seconds.

I lost count how many times Iranians lost the match in last 20 seconds. I think it happened 4 times today. looks like they look at Hosseinkhani as their role model ! the last one was even worse Maghsoudi in 65kg gold medal match. it can't be just accident. obviously there is something wrong with them losing so many matches in last seconds.

Maghsoudi looks amazing prior to that too. That Russian guy is an absolute monster.

I did not see Maghsoudi's final but I remember his run to the gold in cadet worlds 2016. Every match was crazy and he won a few in the last second himself on his way to gold. To be honest I think he did well, I did not expect him to make the finals here and even have a chance for gold. It seemed we were outclassed when he hit Russia at most weights.For example that Russian at 79kg struggled with France and was beaten easily by Japan but he destroyed Gholami lol.  

I did not see Maghsoudi's final but I remember his run to the gold in cadet worlds 2016. Every match was crazy and he won a few in the last second himself on his way to gold. To be honest I think he did well, I did not expect him to make the finals here and even have a chance for gold. It seemed we were outclassed when he hit Russia at most weights.For example that Russian at 79kg struggled with France and was beaten easily by Japan but he destroyed Gholami lol.

That Japanese guy is very good

The Japanese wrestler is very good. I know him, he used to wrestle 86 but was small. 79 is his weight and he did very well to get gold here over a strong American. The Russian wrestler was destroyed by Ukraine for bronze. I bet they were counting on a medal from Gholami.

Also where did they find that 125 wrestler? Wow he was bad.

The Japanese wrestler is very good. I know him, he used to wrestle 86 but was small. 79 is his weight and he did very well to get gold here over a strong American. The Russian wrestler was destroyed by Ukraine for bronze. I bet they were counting on a medal from Gholami.

Also where did they find that 125 wrestler? Wow he was bad.

He was terrible

at least they finished it with a gold medal. but I agree some of them were very bad. I think 1 or 2 more gold medals were winnable but in general they were much weaker than the Greco team. in Greco 4 of them won the gold medal and 5 out of other 6 wrestlers lost to the eventual finalist ! even that other guy lost to the Asian Games silver medalist !

They won the gold at 92. I wonder if Foroutan will join the long list of failed Iranian wrestlers who won junior worlds around this weight (86/84/96) over the past years or if he can do something at the next level. I think he still has 2 more years of juniors left anyway since he was wrestling cadet last year. Absolute best case scenario they could have won 3 golds this year (65, 86, and 92) but Maghsoudi lost by one point in the final and Hashemi lost on criteria to Turkey who then beat India 2-1 in the final. I am surprised this weak Iran team got top 3 ahead of Azerbaijan.

Edited by Shiraz123

today was the day for the 82kg Greco trials. Abdevali first beat the trial 2nd placer Rezaei 2-0 then he beat former world bronze medalist Ghaderian 1-1 but before the 2nd match he withdrew claiming "I didn't come here to win the spot. I just wanted to prove myself" but coach and technical committee member talked him out of his decision, he came back and beat Ghaderian again 4-0. we had tension after the match with Ghaderian protesting to everybody . and then Abdevali almost came into fight with Geraei brothers (who are close friends of Ghaderian) and their supporters started fighting each other . at the end Abdevali created another mess but won the spot.

they annoucned the Greco team for the worlds later

55 Moslem Naderi-Khadem, 60 Mehrdad Mardani, 63 Mohsen Hajipour, 66 Mohammad Reza Geraei, 72 Mohammad Ali Geraei, 77 Pejman Poshtam, 82 Saeid Abdevali, 87 Hossein Nouri, 97 Mehdi Aliyari, 130 Shahab Ghourehjili

while they announced the squad. they also said it's not a sure thing sending a full team because they are in deep financial trouble. but I believe they are bluffing just to get more budget. but they are indeed in so many troubles. they cancelled all other tournaments except the official tournaments.

some notes about the selection, at 55, 60, 63, 66, 77 and 87 they are sending the trial winners. even though at 77kg Poshtam won the trial they still sent the runner-up Mohammad Ali Geraei to the Asian Games but even at the time they said they will send Poshtam to the Worlds and even though Geraei won the Asian Games they didn't change their word. instead they made Geraei to cut weight and wrestle at 72kg instead of trial winner Ali Arsalan !

at 82kg,  Ghaderian won the trials but as mentioned he lost to Abdevali today who wrestled at 87kg for the original trials. at 130kg. Mehdi Nouri won the trials, but he was terrible in international tournaments. they sent 3rd placer Mehdizadeh to the Asian Games and even at the time they said Ghourehjili (2nd place in trials) will go the Worlds and Mehdizadeh being terrible in Jakarta didn't help changing their mind ! and at 97kg they called up Aliyari couple months ago who was absent (injured) during the trials. the trial winner Heidari was very bad in Jakarta so Aliyari was their only option. he is the only wrestler being selected without any kind of trials ! he only wrestled once in an international tournament (in Georgia if I'm not wrong) and won a bronze medal.

as for medal chances, I believe Nouri has a good chance for medal. then Abdevali even though he didn't train much this year but he still has the talent to win something. Ali Geraei is also very good at 77 but with cutting 5 more kilos !? I'm not sure if that's a good idea. I think there is small chances for Poshtam and Mardani. I don't expect more 2-3 medals. even that will be doable.

Has any wrestler in Iran ever had so much power over the federation in Iran as Abdevali? He gets into fights, they ban him then bring him back. They let him have a trial in a weight he has never been at just weeks before worlds. He wins the first match but then refuses to do the second match but they beg him to. This guy is incredible. 

35 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

today was the day for the 82kg Greco trials. Abdevali first beat the trial 2nd placer Rezaei 2-0 then he beat former world bronze medalist Ghaderian 1-1 but before the 2nd match he withdrew claiming "I didn't come here to win the spot. I just wanted to prove myself" but coach and technical committee member talked him out of his decision, he came back and beat Ghaderian again 4-0. we had tension after the match with Ghaderian protesting to everybody . and then Abdevali almost came into fight with Geraei brothers (who are close friends of Ghaderian) and their supporters started fighting each other . at the end Abdevali created another mess but won the spot.

they annoucned the Greco team for the worlds later

55 Moslem Naderi-Khadem, 60 Mehrdad Mardani, 63 Mohsen Hajipour, 66 Mohammad Reza Geraei, 72 Mohammad Ali Geraei, 77 Pejman Poshtam, 82 Saeid Abdevali, 87 Hossein Nouri, 97 Mehdi Aliyari, 130 Shahab Ghourehjili

while they announced the squad. they also said it's not a sure thing sending a full team because they are in deep financial trouble. but I believe they are bluffing just to get more budget. but they are indeed in so many troubles. they cancelled all other tournaments except the official tournaments.

some notes about the selection, at 55, 60, 63, 66, 77 and 87 they are sending the trial winners. even though at 77kg Poshtam won the trial they still sent the runner-up Mohammad Ali Geraei to the Asian Games but even at the time they said they will send Poshtam to the Worlds and even though Geraei won the Asian Games they didn't change their word. instead they made Geraei to cut weight and wrestle at 72kg instead of trial winner Ali Arsalan !

at 82kg,  Ghaderian won the trials but as mentioned he lost to Abdevali today who wrestled at 87kg for the original trials. at 130kg. Mehdi Nouri won the trials, but he was terrible in international tournaments. they sent 3rd placer Mehdizadeh to the Asian Games and even at the time they said Ghourehjili (2nd place in trials) will go the Worlds and Mehdizadeh being terrible in Jakarta didn't help changing their mind ! and at 97kg they called up Aliyari couple months ago who was absent (injured) during the trials. the trial winner Heidari was very bad in Jakarta so Aliyari was their only option. he is the only wrestler being selected without any kind of trials ! he only wrestled once in an international tournament (in Georgia if I'm not wrong) and won a bronze medal.

as for medal chances, I believe Nouri has a good chance for medal. then Abdevali even though he didn't train much this year but he still has the talent to win something. Ali Geraei is also very good at 77 but with cutting 5 more kilos !? I'm not sure if that's a good idea. I think there is small chances for Poshtam and Mardani. I don't expect more 2-3 medals. even that will be doable.

Man, you guys don't lack for drama!  Like Dagestan without the guns!

33 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Has any wrestler in Iran ever had so much power over the federation in Iran as Abdevali? He gets into fights, they ban him then bring him back. They let him have a trial in a weight he has never been at just weeks before worlds. He wins the first match but then refuses to do the second match but they beg him to. This guy is incredible. 

and I have to add that the original date for the trials was Thursday but they postponed it for 2 days "apparently" trying to convince/beg Abdevali to come and wrestle.

I know they didn't trust Ghaderian as he failed so many times before and they know their team is not good enough, they probably think Abdevali is a sure medal they didn't want to lose that. this guy is really talented in past few years he didn't listen to anybody, the didn't train much, only showed in the national camp 1 month before the competition and despite his poor preparation he still won medals. I somehow think he could win as many medals as Sourian if he wasn't a "bad boy"

By the way it's a little ridiculous the amount of control these guys have over the wrestlers. In what other country can you tell a wrestler just a few weeks before the world championship to go down a weight class and cut all that weight after he has committed to the weight class above? 

36 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

By the way it's a little ridiculous the amount of control these guys have over the wrestlers. In what other country can you tell a wrestler just a few weeks before the world championship to go down a weight class and cut all that weight after he has committed to the weight class above? 

I'm quite sure that wasn't an order,  it's impossible to force someone to cut weight. that's torture. I'm sure they ask the wrestler first if he can do that or not. they probably had that in mind since they announced the list for the Asian Games (cuz at the time they said Poshtam will go the worlds)

but still you can question this decision , you should not let wrestlers decide about this. they just want to wrestle no matter what, even if you tell them to cut 20kg !

it will be mission impossible for Geraei with current weight-in rules. he is a very good wrestler. very fun to watch but only when he doesn't cut a lot.

Reza Yazdani wrestled for the first time since his injury at 97kg in a league dual today and beat 2017 World team member Amir Mohammadi 6-2. in another interesting result Khinchegashvili lost 7-4 to Farzad Amouzad at 65kg ! Ramonov and Tsabolov won their matches with no problems.

they didn't announce the freestyle team yet but apparently they picked up Karimi over Ebrahimi despite Ebrahimi beat him twice recently. Ebrahimi wrestled today in the league which is a sign he is not selected for the World team. same goes to Omid Hassantabar who won the trials at 79kg. and also Komeil Ghasemi.

and it seems they will pick Goleij for the worlds. cuz Alireza Goudarzi also wrestled today. I can assume the world team is something like this.

57 Atri , 60 Yakhkeshi, 65 M. Nassiri, 70 Emami, 74 Hosseinkhani, 79 Akbari, 86 H. Yazdani, 92 Karimi, 97 Goleij and 125 Hadi

I think the only question is about 65, 70 and 79. Moradgholi wrestled today so he is out of the picture. and despite his terrible performance in Jakarta. Khadem didn't say any bad thing about Mehran Nassiri so apparently it will be him. and looks like they have no other option than Emami at 70kg. and about 79kg. Hassantabar won the trials but we knew Akbari was their pick who got injured early in the trials and got eliminated. looks like they are going to send Akbari.

5 hours ago, wrestfan said:

Reza Yazdani wrestled for the first time since his injury at 97kg in a league dual today and beat 2017 World team member Amir Mohammadi 6-2. in another interesting result Khinchegashvili lost 7-4 to Farzad Amouzad at 65kg ! Ramonov and Tsabolov won their matches with no problems.

they didn't announce the freestyle team yet but apparently they picked up Karimi over Ebrahimi despite Ebrahimi beat him twice recently. Ebrahimi wrestled today in the league which is a sign he is not selected for the World team. same goes to Omid Hassantabar who won the trials at 79kg. and also Komeil Ghasemi.

and it seems they will pick Goleij for the worlds. cuz Alireza Goudarzi also wrestled today. I can assume the world team is something like this.

57 Atri , 60 Yakhkeshi, 65 M. Nassiri, 70 Emami, 74 Hosseinkhani, 79 Akbari, 86 H. Yazdani, 92 Karimi, 97 Goleij and 125 Hadi

I think the only question is about 65, 70 and 79. Moradgholi wrestled today so he is out of the picture. and despite his terrible performance in Jakarta. Khadem didn't say any bad thing about Mehran Nassiri so apparently it will be him. and looks like they have no other option than Emami at 70kg. and about 79kg. Hassantabar won the trials but we knew Akbari was their pick who got injured early in the trials and got eliminated. looks like they are going to send Akbari.

Wrestlefan, I suppose there is no more hope for Reza Yazdani. Injuries have been too extreme for him sadly. Before I say who I was hoping to be Iran's Freestyle Line-up. What happened to Hassan Rahimi, Behnam Ehsanpoor, Masoud Esmailpour, and Ahmad Mohammadi? I don't know what happened to those 4. Without them I hoped to have this line-up. 57kg Atri, 61kg Yakheshi, 65kg Mehran Nassiri, 70kg Meisam Nassiri, 74kg Hosseinkhani, 79kg Akbari, 86kg H.Yazdani, 92kg Ebrahimi, 97kg Karimi, 125kg Hadi.

It's not too much different than yours. I say Karimi is the best bet for 97kg as he did a great job at the Asian Games. I have confidence that Javad Ebrahimi would do a great job at 92kg. But I guess we will see who knows when (what the official team is going to be).