Sign in to follow this  
wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

Not sure how they are sending Goleij. Based off of Yasar Dogu? He made the finals and got destroyed by Albarov. Goudarzi, on the other side of the bracket, got destroyed by Snyder who lost on criteria to Albarov. So yes Goleij made it to the podium so would Goudarzi if you switch them in the bracket. I really hope they don't think a win over Andriietsev is worth anything in 2018. Then you consider that Goudarzi beat him as easily as drinking a glass of water in the trials and I don't see why they want to send Goleij. I really hope Khadem doesn't think Goleij has some big potential future if they give him opportunites.

Don't get me wrong I don't think Goudarzi is anything special either but if they aren't going to send the trial winner I don't see why they don't just say both of them (Goudarzi and Goleij) were poor internationally and let Karimi go at 97 and Ebrahimi at 92 to avoid all this drama. Who can Goleij beat that Karimi can't? 

This honestly reminds me of last year when Dadashpour won trials but they sent Hosseinkhani and he lost anyway. If both wrestlers are nothing special there is no reason to create drama, just send the one who won the trials or don't send either if you really have someone better. 

Also it's Yazdani's second match, remember he destroyed Mojerloo a few weeks ago.

5 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Not sure how they are sending Goleij. Based off of Yasar Dogu? He made the finals and got destroyed by Albarov. Goudarzi, on the other side of the bracket, got destroyed by Snyder who lost on criteria to Albarov. So yes Goleij made it to the podium so would Goudarzi if you switch them in the bracket. I really hope they don't think a win over Andriietsev is worth anything in 2018. Then you consider that Goudarzi beat him as easily as drinking a glass of water in the trials and I don't see why they want to send Goleij. I really hope Khadem doesn't think Goleij has some big potential future if they give him opportunites.

Don't get me wrong I don't think Goudarzi is anything special either but if they aren't going to send the trial winner I don't see why they don't just say both of them (Goudarzi and Goleij) were poor internationally and let Karimi go at 97 and Ebrahimi at 92 to avoid all this drama. Who can Goleij beat that Karimi can't? 

This honestly reminds me of last year when Dadashpour won trials but they sent Hosseinkhani and he lost anyway. If both wrestlers are nothing special there is no reason to create drama, just send the one who won the trials or don't send either if you really have someone better. 

Also it's Yazdani's second match, remember he destroyed Mojerloo a few weeks ago.

I mean his first match at 97kg. of course I rememeber that one but that was 92kg.

I agree about sending the trial winner in case none of them are anything special. this year they almost didn't care about the trial results. they are not sending the trial winners at 65, 70, 79, 92 and 97 !! even though I have to repeat that was just my prediction they didn't announce the World team yet but I'm 90% sure my prediction is correct. they don't let World team members wrestle in the league few weeks before the Worlds.

I think they also considered Goudarzi's age and his past doping issue. I don't now what happened to Hassantabar, he was their first pick at the start of the season but then they switched to Akbari,

about Karimi, they claimed so many times that there was only one serious wrestler in Asia and they analyzed that Ibragimov guy and they "found out" only Karimi is a good matchup for him and that's why they picked up Karimi ! well it's easy to have such claims after the competition, it's up to you to believe them or not.

9 hours ago, Seena said:

Wrestlefan, I suppose there is no more hope for Reza Yazdani. Injuries have been too extreme for him sadly. Before I say who I was hoping to be Iran's Freestyle Line-up. What happened to Hassan Rahimi, Behnam Ehsanpoor, Masoud Esmailpour, and Ahmad Mohammadi? I don't know what happened to those 4. Without them I hoped to have this line-up. 57kg Atri, 61kg Yakheshi, 65kg Mehran Nassiri, 70kg Meisam Nassiri, 74kg Hosseinkhani, 79kg Akbari, 86kg H.Yazdani, 92kg Ebrahimi, 97kg Karimi, 125kg Hadi.

It's not too much different than yours. I say Karimi is the best bet for 97kg as he did a great job at the Asian Games. I have confidence that Javad Ebrahimi would do a great job at 92kg. But I guess we will see who knows when (what the official team is going to be).

Rahimi didn't wrestle in the trials. he is in the camp as "coach" this time but he is not retired yet. we will probably see him next year. even though he was inactive after the Olympics. Ehsanpour lost to Emami at 65 in first round of trials and withdrew for the 3rd place match therefore didn't qualify for the final round . Esmaeilpour was injured during the trials. he asked for a second chance but they rejected him since he wasn't any good in past 2 years. and Ahmad Mohammadi tried his chance at 70. he lost badly in the first round. they still gave him a wild card for the final round at 65kg but he didn't show up. most of these guy wrestled in the league recently and they weren't any good.

10 hours ago, wrestfan said:

Rahimi didn't wrestle in the trials. he is in the camp as "coach" this time but he is not retired yet. we will probably see him next year. even though he was inactive after the Olympics. Ehsanpour lost to Emami at 65 in first round of trials and withdrew for the 3rd place match therefore didn't qualify for the final round . Esmaeilpour was injured during the trials. he asked for a second chance but they rejected him since he wasn't any good in past 2 years. and Ahmad Mohammadi tried his chance at 70. he lost badly in the first round. they still gave him a wild card for the final round at 65kg but he didn't show up. most of these guy wrestled in the league recently and they weren't any good.

Alright I got you now. But still with 92kg and 97kg I feel the team will be best using Javad Ebrahimi 92kg and Alireza Karimi 97kg. Golej I don't believe will do much. Karimi has potential. I like Hadi at 125kg. So this will be first experiences for Yakheshi, Nasiri, Emami. There are surprise results in some wrestlers first years competing. I hope those 3 can make a mark. Thanks for the info.

2 hours ago, Seena said:

Alright I got you now. But still with 92kg and 97kg I feel the team will be best using Javad Ebrahimi 92kg and Alireza Karimi 97kg. Golej I don't believe will do much. Karimi has potential. I like Hadi at 125kg. So this will be first experiences for Yakheshi, Nasiri, Emami. There are surprise results in some wrestlers first years competing. I hope those 3 can make a mark. Thanks for the info.

Apparently they just don't like Ebrahimi's conservative style and I know Karimi is somehow Khadem's favorite wrestler (at least he used to be) obviously Karimi has a much better chance for medal at 92kg comparing to his chance at 97.

Hadi is the best Iran got at the moment, his brain sometimes just freezes, I still can't forget his match vs Makhov at the Worlds and how he gave up some super stupid cautions but in this weight only Akgul and Geno are unbeatable. he can hope for a bronze if he keeps his focus and doesn't give up big points in 1st period.

I like this guy Yakhkeshi, I think he has the potential but he lacks international experience badly. I secretly hoping for a medal for him lol Nassiri was terrible in Jakarta but they justified it by saying "he was under stress in his first match" so I assume they are giving him a second chance in Hungary. I don't have high expectation for him. Emami is also pretty new at 70kg. they moved him up a weight after Meisam Nassiri announced he is not interested to wrestle for the national team anymore ! they simply have nobody else in this weight, I can't even remember the name of 70kg trial winner (Eshfaghi maybe ?!) who was below average. 

They just announced the freestyle team

my prediction was 90% correct except one weight, 65kg, big surprise they picked up the World Junior Silver medalist Amir Hossein Maghsoudi ! I'm sure nobody expected this

so Iran team will be Atri, Yakhkeshi, Maghsoudi, Emami, Hosseinkhani, Akbari, Yazdani, Karimi, Goleij and Hadi

they also said it's possible to not send a complete team

Great choice sending Maghsoudi ( even though he got injured before the junior world final so not sure how he is now). This is the correct situation to ignore trial results, unlike some other weights. 

8 hours ago, wrestfan said:

They just announced the freestyle team

my prediction was 90% correct except one weight, 65kg, big surprise they picked up the World Junior Silver medalist Amir Hossein Maghsoudi ! I'm sure nobody expected this

so Iran team will be Atri, Yakhkeshi, Maghsoudi, Emami, Hosseinkhani, Akbari, Yazdani, Karimi, Goleij and Hadi

they also said it's possible to not send a complete team

Funding is so bad Iran might not send a full team?! That’s insane. 

I think this team isn’t as bad as some are saying. Hadi could win a bronze, Goleij at his best can sneak on the podium, etc

4 medals is possible. That wouldn’t be a bad showing for a down year.

20 hours ago, wrestfan said:

Apparently they just don't like Ebrahimi's conservative style and I know Karimi is somehow Khadem's favorite wrestler (at least he used to be) obviously Karimi has a much better chance for medal at 92kg comparing to his chance at 97.

Hadi is the best Iran got at the moment, his brain sometimes just freezes, I still can't forget his match vs Makhov at the Worlds and how he gave up some super stupid cautions but in this weight only Akgul and Geno are unbeatable. he can hope for a bronze if he keeps his focus and doesn't give up big points in 1st period.

I like this guy Yakhkeshi, I think he has the potential but he lacks international experience badly. I secretly hoping for a medal for him lol Nassiri was terrible in Jakarta but they justified it by saying "he was under stress in his first match" so I assume they are giving him a second chance in Hungary. I don't have high expectation for him. Emami is also pretty new at 70kg. they moved him up a weight after Meisam Nassiri announced he is not interested to wrestle for the national team anymore ! they simply have nobody else in this weight, I can't even remember the name of 70kg trial winner (Eshfaghi maybe ?!) who was below average. 

I agree with most everything you mentioned. Even though this doesn't happen too often. Not sure if you remember past wrestlers. Brandon Slay (USA) who lacked international competition prior to the Olympics. Then went in the Olympics and defeated the best Freestyle wrestler ever from Russia. Seldomly it happens. But there is always hope as they say. Yes best Hadi can really do is Bronze. It would take the miracle for him to do more, but just for Bronze he must be in the game fully and not give up as you say. If Karimi is 92kg, I have high hopes for him. Maybe to even have Ebrahimi at 97kg is the best Iran can do at the moment at that weight. I wonder if Abbas Tahan will ever return? 

52 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Funding is so bad Iran might not send a full team?! That’s insane.

Yes that's true , they were OK 3-4 months ago but not now. Trump's sanctions hit some parts of Iran economy badly , now they have to pay 3 times more than what they used to pay for plane tickets etc. even though I believe they are just bluffing to get a budget from the sport ministry or the government itself. since war time Iran never sent incomplete team to the worlds.

13 hours ago, wrestfan said:

Yes that's true , they were OK 3-4 months ago but not now. Trump's sanctions hit some parts of Iran economy badly , now they have to pay 3 times more than what they used to pay for plane tickets etc. even though I believe they are just bluffing to get a budget from the sport ministry or the government itself. since war time Iran never sent incomplete team to the worlds.

Thanks 

its so ridiculous when politics gets mixed up with wrestling. This hurts all of us.