Sign in to follow this  
wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

I saw that Foroutan match. Crazy that he was fresher than Sadghzadeh despite being so much smaller. Sadeghzade probably would have lost if not for the long break. He pinned Amiri as well. I also heard he destroyed Goleij in a practice match before worlds, similar to how Albarov beat Goleij. I know Goleij is not great but when you combine all these things and consider he was just in his first year of juniors then it seems he has a bright future as a 97.

Interview with Coach Bana  (in Persian).  He warns that if Iran does not deal with its GR issues, it will fall behind 10-20 years.

He has decided to return to take on the task of fixing the issues.  he also said he almost had a heart attack watching the recent world championship

Edited by irani

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 4:27 PM, wrestfan said:

sometimes you are too harsh,  he says they were "capable" of winning 4 gold medals which I agree with him. all those 4 guys you mentioned were capable of winning the golds if they were just a bit smarter. yeah I believe only Sadeghi got robbed. for others it was 50/50 calls which always go against Iranians.  even though in Ghiasi's case I wonder how come they annulled his 2pts gut wrench. I assume they see the same video we see on live stream and from that camera angle it was impossible to judge. the center ref who was watching it closely gave him the points.

and as you know wrestling is not math, just because the Russian guy won his final easily that doesn't mean he could beat Sadeghi easily too. Sadeghi enjoys to makes his matches close but yeah I agree with you he is a horrible wrestler.

I don't know what to say about Shahbazi. he made all of his last 3 matches close. if you remember he almost lost to Japan in QF. he was leading 2-1 and the Japanese guy grabbed his leg but the clock just saved him. he could finish off all of those 3 matches earlier. this is unbelievable to come back from being 7-0 down and still lose that match ! when he took the lead he could easily score another takedown to finish Sotiev. he is a good wrestler but if he wants to continue like this there is no future for him. and btw how come he lost weight at this age !? he won the Worlds Junior at 97kg.

I like to see Foroutan in the senior team next year, he wrestled in the league final in super heavyweight (because they had Baitsaev in Foroutan's weight, he had to move up) against Sadeghzadeh probably 30kg heavier than himself and almost beat him. lost only 8-7.

one more thing, they Russian-Slovak guy who beat Emami at the Worlds by a last second controversial call (to me BS call) won this tournament quite easily. even at the Worlds that guy lost only 1-1 to Jakubishvili (both points by cautions). maybe Emami wasn't that bad after all lol

GholamReza Mohammadi was the youth coach.  His results as the youth coach are pretty impressive, so let's hope he can transition to Seniors successfully.

Bana is a proven GR coach, let's hope he can pull a miracle in time for the olympics

14 hours ago, irani said:

GholamReza Mohammadi was the youth coach.  His results as the youth coach are pretty impressive, so let's hope he can transition to Seniors successfully.

Bana is a proven GR coach, let's hope he can pull a miracle in time for the olympics

Mohammadi had been there before. more than once. he was probably the only option with both experience and the character. I'm not necessarrily sure he can get great results (after all he doesn't have bunch of great wrestlers in his team) but he is less stubborn than Khadem . and unlike Khadem I don't think he is going to use the exact same training method for everybody ! from Yazdani to Atri and Hadi !

but Bana doesn't need a miracle to get good results, Iran got some great results in World Juniors in past couple of years. they have to add those youngsters into the senior team. we have some fundamental problems in Greco which Bana easily accepts. he claimed "if we wrestled their way we could not win those medals. we have our own tricks" our wrestlers are mostly tough, good in pushing , some of them good in par terre but when you push too much there is always a chance to give up 4pts throw. and if that happens, it will be really hard to score pushout five times to beat that !

as for freestyle they have to find someone for 65kg and 74kg. we are very weak in those 2 Olympic weights. the only half good wrestler I can see in these 2 weights is Emami. it will be hard to even qualify those weights for the Olympics. 86kg and 125kg look better with multiple candidates to make the team so I'm not going to talk about them.

Atri is getting better but slowly. he was unlucky at the Worlds. when he beat the Mongolian. I left the room to make a cup of coffee and when I came back they called his name on another mat against someone who had "bye" in the first round. I know at the end he lost to his own stupid mistake but still you can't ignore the fact he didn't have enough rest between his matches. I think he will be our guy for the Olympics unless Rahimi miraculously comes back and makes the weight .

as for 97kg. Karimi is probably an  option   he did good in the Worlds despite being underweight for 92kg. (yeah he still can't solve Cox's problem) so challenging big guys at 97kg will be much harder for him. I like to see Foroutan more in senior competitions, he is looking good so far.

btw they are sending a team to Alrosa Cup in Russia. in Olympic weights, Hajaghania, Biabani, Kavousi, Bazri, Foroutan and Mohebbi.

Would have been nice if they sent them to the Alans tournament instead of Alrosa. I have heard Alans will be like the new Yarygin now that UWW killed the Yarygin with the 3 Russian rule. It is only a few days after Alrosa, I would have liked to see Foroutan wrestle there but it will still be interesting. I think this guy has a big chance to be the 97. Even though I know Russia is paying for them to go to the Alrosa so maybe it was not up to them. Why is Hajaghania going, lol?

Btw I would not be surprised if they just stuck with Hosseinkhani at 74 and hoped his close loss against a wrestler like Burroughs turns to a close win.

Edited by Shiraz123

52 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Would have been nice if they sent them to the Alans tournament instead of Alrosa. I have heard Alans will be like the new Yarygin now that UWW killed the Yarygin with the 3 Russian rule. It is only a few days after Alrosa, I would have liked to see Foroutan wrestle there but it will still be interesting. I think this guy has a big chance to be the 97. Even though I know Russia is paying for them to go to the Alrosa so maybe it was not up to them. Why is Hajaghania going, lol?

Btw I would not be surprised if they just stuck with Hosseinkhani at 74 and hoped his close loss against a wrestler like Burroughs turns to a close win.

Well I think that's the only reason they sent a team, because Russia paid everything for them. the financial situation is terrible for them.

maybe because he is the only 57kg guy available lol, actually I started to like Atri after I saw Hajaghania representing Iran somewhere !!

I hope not, Hosseinkhani wrestled better than expectations against Burroughs. but this is just his style. he always loses in last 20 seconds. they gave him so many chances and he wasted them all. but the worst thing is I can't see anybody better than him for the next year.

On 11/25/2018 at 1:56 AM, Shiraz123 said:

it seems they are also sending a team to that Alans tournament. again Russia is paying everything ! they are sending a team as "Mazandaran team" even though not a good team actually. notable names are Ehsanpour, Yakhkeshi, Mehran Nassiri, Hassantabar and Sadeghzadeh.

2 hours ago, wrestfan said:

it seems they are also sending a team to that Alans tournament. again Russia is paying everything ! they are sending a team as "Mazandaran team" even though not a good team actually. notable names are Ehsanpour, Yakhkeshi, Mehran Nassiri, Hassantabar and Sadeghzadeh.

I think they are making a mistake. The Mazandaran team should be going to Alrosa and the Iran team should be going to Alans. Most guys on that Mazandaran team ( probably all of them actually) will never win a medal at worlds or olympics, sending them to Alans is a waste. From what I am hearing in the Alrosa  tournament the Russian team will be a young team, similar to ours. Alans will be the far harder tournament. Hopefully they at least send that Russian wrestler who won 97kg at junior worlds this year to Alrosa, he killed everybody.

I looked at the list and they are not even sending a 97 to Alans, they should have just put Foroutan there. He is from Mazandaran anyway.

I am happy to see Ehsanpour, though. He is a good wrestler despite being mentally unstable.

Edited by Shiraz123

some results from Alrosa Cup. Iran beat Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan both of them 5-1. (Kavousi and Hajaghania dropped one match) they also beat Russia 3-3 (on criteria) we only have the results in Russia match. the Russian team is 2018 national bronze medalists. not a bad team.

Hajaghania 7 - Aryian Tyutrin 10

Biabani 0 - Nachyn Kuular 5

Kavousi 5 -  Nikita Suchkov 8

Bazri 10 - Slavik Naniev 0

Foroutan 11 - Zainulla Kurbanov 4

Mohebbi beat Magomedgadzhi Nurasulov (probably walkover or fall)

I saw the Uzebkistan match also. Foroutan pinned the Uzbek wrestler and Bazri won 10 - 0. Biabani won like 10 - 4 or something. Hajaghania got destroyed. Lost like 13  - 0. Kavousi 10  - 0 and Mohebi also tech.

G. Mohammadi a list of wrestlers to his first camp. it's not a big deal now at this time of the year but it just shows which wrestlers are in his mind

57: Atri, Hajaghania, Sarlak

61: Rahimi, Ehsanpour, Yakhkeshi, Sadeghi

65: Maghsoudi, Biabani, Ghiasi

70: A. Mohammadi, Emami, Nouri (who ?)

74: Taghavi, Afzali, Kavousi, Nokhodi

79: Hassantabar, Teymouri, Zarinpeikar

86: H. Yazdani, Ghasempour, Bazri

92: Karimi, Ebrahimi, Mohebbi, Shahbazi

97: R. Yazdani, Mohammadian, Foroutan, Talebi

125: Hadi, Ghasemi, Mohebbi, Taheri

interesting to see  Mehdi Taghavi, MH Mohammadian, Reza Yazdani, Hassan Rahimi and Ahmad Mohammadi in this list. I didn't know Taghavi is still "active" but Mohammadi was his favorite coach, he never got along with Khadem. (same as Reza Yazdani) and Mohammadian is finally eligible to wrestle after his long suspension.

Wow, Taghavi is back? Wonder what kind of shape he is in with all this time off plus he turns 32 in February. Guess he is making another Olympic run? He was fantastic winning 2 World championships at the always deep 65/66kg weight class.

As per some of the previous discussions here, perhaps Iran's wrestling team is having financial issues but would love to see Taghavi and other Iranians enter the Yarygin. Would be a great litmus test for Taghavi. 

Lol, did they give up on Hosseinkhani then?

Also Nokhodi was at cadet worlds at 70 this year and could not win a medal, so it's interesting to see him invited here when none of the cadet gold medalists were. 

What happened to that guy Mozafari in the end? He could have been a good 74. I know he went to 86 for a while but it was a bad idea. I believe he got married and fat after 2015 junior worlds if I remember right.