wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

On 4/8/2019 at 2:35 AM, wrestfan said:

7 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

1 - Yakhkeshi wins gold at 61 but is disqualified for wearing a T shirt on the podium. Apparently you have to be wearing the full track suit. Firstly I am not sure when this rule came about or started to be enforced, as I have seen multiple wrestlers wear a T shirt on the podium and not be disqualified, including Hajaghania in this same tournament when he recieved his bronze. Second, why have this stupid rule? And third, UWW  claims they warned Yakhkeshi multiple times. We all know that in the past 40 years Iranian people are very good at listening when somebody tells them how they are allowed to dress! So i am surprised if they told him and he refused.

So does Iran get a qualification slot for 61 or does the disqualification null the slot that he won?

Edited by irani

Apparently they got into an argument with one of the Iranian coaches at some point during the tournament and so they did this out of retribution. I knew there was a little more to it. Still, Tedeev pushed an official at the last world championships in the 61kg final and his wrestler was still allowed to keep his silver medal. Very unfair but we know how UWW is against the Iranian man.

Have to feel for Yakhkeshi, total nonsense. 

Karimi and Talebi looked good.

Taylor is definitely out of worlds 2019, which is a shame. Will there be trials to decide who competes between Yazdani/Ghasempour or will one just be chosen? 

1 hour ago, The Genius said:

Have to feel for Yakhkeshi, total nonsense. 

Karimi and Talebi looked good.

Taylor is definitely out of worlds 2019, which is a shame. Will there be trials to decide who competes between Yazdani/Ghasempour or will one just be chosen? 

Gholam Reza Mohammadi had a press conference today and said they will try and hold a trial at some weights in the end of June, but did not specify further. With Taylor out, either Ghasempour or Yazdani will be a big gold favourite. 

2 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Gholam Reza Mohammadi had a press conference today and said they will try and hold a trial at some weights in the end of June, but did not specify further. With Taylor out, either Ghasempour or Yazdani will be a big gold favourite. 

Thanks, hopefully the trials are decisive and not overruled like in the past sometimes.

Do you think it would have been better if DT was there so Yazdani could have the chance for revenge (but risk losing again), or better to boost his confidence for 2020 by getting the gold instead?

Edited by The Genius

10 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Thanks, hopefully the trials are decisive and not overruled like in the past sometimes.

Do you think it would have been better if DT was there so Yazdani could have the chance for revenge (but risk losing again), or better to boost his confidence for 2020 by getting the gold instead?

I agree, Yazdani's chance to win World gold just went way up.

Iran's other 86kg, Ghasempour dominated the bracket to win gold at Asian championships a couple of months ago.  

35 minutes ago, The Genius said:

If they want Yazdani to wrestle Taylor before the Olympics i'm sure they can find him in some other tournament. I remember after 2017 worlds Taylor wrestled at world cup, Yarygin and Yasar Dogu . All tournaments they could have entered Yazdani in. Instead Yazdani didn't even wrestle outside of Asia ( Asian championships, Iran world team trials, Asian games). World team trials were against guys he wrestles all the time anyway and the two Asian tournaments were obviously very weak. So just because Taylor is out of worlds doesn't mean Yazdani won't wrestle him again until the Olympics, assuming they both even make the Olympic teams. I assume they will wrestle at some other tournament. In the short term it's probably good for the team. I don't see them competing for gold at any other weight so it's good to get at least one. 

they announced a list of wrestlers for the World Team trials only in 5 weights !

65kg: Peyman Biabani, Amir Mohammad Yazdani, Morteza Ghiasi, Iman Sadeghi

74kg: Mostafa Hosseinkhani, Reza Afzali, Mohammad Nokhodi, Ahmad Mohammadi, Hamed Rashidi

86kg: Hassan Yazdani, Kamran Ghasempour

97kg: Reza Yazdani, Hamed Talebi, Alireza Goudarzi, Ali Shaabani

125kg: Parviz Hadi, Komeil Ghasemi, Yadollah Mohebbi

no comment about the format,  but I assume they will follow the old one, double elimination with best of 3 for the finalists.

nothing about the other weights, I assume Atri and Karimi are already selected for 57kg and 92kg. and most probably Teymouri at 79kg. no idea what they have in mind for 61kg, there are two candidates Ehsanpour and Yakhkeshi. and for 70kg it will be stupid to just give the spot to Emami, he was terrible in Sassari. maybe they have other things in mind for non-Olympic weights, something like sending them to another tournament but we will have the trials in Iran in 25 days in those 5 weights.

they decided to give another chance to Alireza Goudarzi, he left the national camp (MJ Ebrahimi did the same) and was penalized for that but sent a letter and apologized for that. no other chance for Foroutan. yet we have Shaabani in the list ! also no second chance for Bazri, he won the Sassar tournament, we know he had no chance but still I think he deserved a chance here . it was also interesting and surprising to see Ahmad Mohammadi in a new weight. he was great at first when he jumped to 66kg maybe they were hoping for something like that at 74kg. lol 65kg is definitely the weakest weight in Iran, even weaker than 74.

On 5/30/2019 at 6:07 AM, Shiraz123 said:

In the short term it's probably good for the team. I don't see them competing for gold at any other weight so it's good to get at least one. 

yeah if you mean the Olympic weights but Karimi at 92kg has a good chance for gold if someone beats Cox before the final. as you probably already know G. Mohammadi said in his press conference that was the reason they sent Karimi to Italy. to collect more ranking points and avoid Cox before the final.

31 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

yeah if you mean the Olympic weights but Karimi at 92kg has a good chance for gold if someone beats Cox before the final. as you probably already know G. Mohammadi said in his press conference that was the reason they sent Karimi to Italy. to collect more ranking points and avoid Cox before the final.

I didn't know that actually. That is interesting. Cox loses often to worse wrestlers than Karimi but the Iranian coaches can't figure him out. I think he is too big for Karimi. Cox could wrestle 97 no problem. The weight cut killed him at 86 after just 1 year and he ended up losing to Makoev. Sharifov has beat him twice and Marsagashvili is 2 - 1 against him.  

2 hours ago, wrestfan said:

So this ranking system actually works?  

They invited a list of wrestlers to the new camp. all those names for the trials plus some other names for other 5 weights, they said there won't be any trial for other weights. here is the list

57: Atri, Hajaghania, Sarlak

61: Ehsanpour, Yakhkeshi

70: Emami, Nassiri, Nouri

79: Teymouri, Savadkuhi, Hamidi

92: Karimi, Mohebbi

I think Atri, Teymouri and Karimi are 100% in. not sure if they are going to give a chance to Nassiri. but I think Emami will get the spot 80% . the only real question is 61kg. Ehsanpour and Yakhkeshi didn't wrestle each other recently (I can't remember if they ever wrestled) I guess they will send both of them to another tournament (Yasar Dogu maybe) to determine the World team member.

and in Greco they made it clear there will be "no trials" as we know coach Banna doesn't believe in trials like that ! they claim they already know their team member but even if there are questions they will send the candidates to a tournament (probably in Poland)

they invited a long list of wrestlers to the camp. it's hard to guess who is going to the Worlds in some weights. I think Saeid Abdevali (82), Mohammad Ali Geraei (77), Mehdi Aliyari (97) Amir Ghasemi-Monjazi (130) are almost safe. 72kg will be between Mohammad Reza Geraei and Amin Kavianinejad.

interesting interview with Mohammad Hossein Mohammadian (and his father Olympic silver medalist Askari Mohammadian)

https://www.tarafdari.com/sites/default/files/contents/user359161/video/avc_untitled_project.mp4

he still claims he is innocent and I somehow believe him. but that was very stupid from the federation's doctor telling him to lie and make things worse.

after 4 years of suspension he will be available from October 2019 and he claims he is up for the challenge at 97kg for the Olympics and he already has plans for Snyder and Sadullaev ! first let's see if he can make his own province (Mazandaran) team !

Hahahaha I wonder what his plan is for Sadulaev. Could you imagine if Mohammad Mohammadian ends up randomly beating Sadulaev for Olympic gold? I'm sure he will give him the famous Iranian kiss on the cheek after the match. 

Btw his dad is still very good physically. 

Edited by Shiraz123

Some interesting pictures from the Iran camp

Karimi doing curls with Ghasempour. Reza Yazdani squatting Komeil Ghasemi.

Pictures taken from a tweet by @irani, who is a different person than me

D8sY8DpWsAAlAlr.jpg
D8sY8WsXYAATj-G.jpg

Edited by irani

On 6/10/2019 at 7:13 AM, wrestfan said:

interesting interview with Mohammad Hossein Mohammadian (and his father Olympic silver medalist Askari Mohammadian)

https://www.tarafdari.com/sites/default/files/contents/user359161/video/avc_untitled_project.mp4

he still claims he is innocent and I somehow believe him. but that was very stupid from the federation's doctor telling him to lie and make things worse.

after 4 years of suspension he will be available from October 2019 and he claims he is up for the challenge at 97kg for the Olympics and he already has plans for Snyder and Sadullaev ! first let's see if he can make his own province (Mazandaran) team !

Thanks for the post.  I enjoyed watching it.   His father had some tough draws in the Olympics getting silver against Beloglazov in 88 and then again against John Smith in 92.

He sounds credible, and I want to believe him, but unfortunately, most dopers deny doping.  It's next to impossible, scientifically to get a false positive.

I feel bad for his father, I feel the pain in his voice when he talks about the doping.

I think in the history of all drug test failures in sport there have been like 10 times when the B sample came back different. It's the same sample as the A sample, so the chances it comes back as negative when you had a positive are incredibly low. So the team doctor was right in that sense. However obviously the lie they told him to tell made it even worse. So he probably should have just asked them to retest the B sample. After that almost certainly would have came back positive he should have just taken his 2 years or whatever.

At the very least you will not get any extra punishment for asking then to test the B sample.

Edited by Shiraz123

7 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

I think in the history of all drug test failures in sport there have been like 10 times when the B sample came back different. It's the same sample as the A sample, so the chances it comes back as negative when you had a positive are incredibly low. So the team doctor was right in that sense. However obviously the lie they told him to tell made it even worse. So he probably should have just asked them to retest the B sample. After that almost certainly would have came back positive he should have just taken his 2 years or whatever.

At the very least you will not get any extra punishment for asking then to test the B sample.

Yes, no argument there.  The incompetence and dishonesty of the team doctor cost him at least two years, possibly four years