wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

On 7/3/2019 at 4:46 PM, wrestfan said:

there is a list on UWW website for Yasar Dogu tournament but the Iranian team is completely different than the provisional list. mostly younger/unknown wrestlers

57 Erfan Jafarian, Amir Parasteh

61 Majid Dastan

70 Meisam Nasiri

What happened to Amir, Dastan and Nasiri - I only see Jafarian on the website of results from today?

18 minutes ago, The Genius said:

What happened to Amir, Dastan and Nasiri - I only see Jafarian on the website of results from today?

they made the list much shorter , they didn't explain why

but the team is just Jafarian, Shaabani, Teymouri,  Forutan and Mohebbi.

On 7/7/2019 at 9:44 AM, Shiraz123 said:

7 gold, 1 silver and 1 bronze for the Iranian FS cadet team at the Asian championships.

Iran's failure to develop its cadet champions into future senior contenders is very disappointing

Iranian friends, a question off topic.  My family's name is Jafaryan (Armenian), but I've been told it has Iranian roots.  I see the Iranian wrestler named Jafarian and it's very similar.  Does the name have a root meaning in your language (like the English names Baker, Miller, Glover, etc.)?  Thank you in advance.

6 minutes ago, Coach_J said:

Iranian friends, a question off topic.  My family's name is Jafaryan (Armenian), but I've been told it has Iranian roots.  I see the Iranian wrestler named Jafarian and it's very similar.  Does the name have a root meaning in your language (like the English names Baker, Miller, Glover, etc.)?  Thank you in advance.

most Iranian family names are consisted of a name + suffix . there are some common suffix you see in Iranian names. "i", "ian", "nejad", "zadeh", "pour"

so Jafarian is Jafar + ian. there are so many Arabic names in Iran these days and Jafar is one of them.

40 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

they made the list much shorter , they didn't explain why

but the team is just Jafarian, Shaabani, Teymouri,  Forutan and Mohebbi.

Thanks, that's disappointing... 

2 hours ago, Coach_J said:

Coach J, Jafar has Arabic roorts, and in Arabic it means Stream.  Jafar happens to be the name of one of the Shia Imams, and also the name of the brother of Ali, perhaps the most revered Imam for Shias, so Jafar is a very popular first name among Shias.  As wrestfan correctly said, Iranians make up last names names by taking a first name and adding ian, I, Pour, Zadeh or Nejad to the end of end similar to adding Sen or Son in Stevenson or Stevensen.

Edited by irani

1 hour ago, irani said:

Coach J, Jafar has Arabic roorts, and in Arabic it means Stream.  Jafar happens to be the name of one of the Shia Imams, and also the name of the brother of Ali, perhaps the most revered Imam for Shias, so Jafar is a very popular first name among Shias.  As wrestfan correctly said, Iranians make up last names names by taking a first name and adding ian, I, Pour, Zadeh or Nejad to the end of end similar to adding Sen or Son in Stevenson or Stevensen.

Thank you my friends.

Yasar Dogu FS update:

57kg: Jafarian lost to Kiziltas 4-3 in first round. No repechage (Kiziltas lost next match 10-0). 

79kg: Teymouri lost in SF 4-0 to Dieringer (US). Will wrestle against Abakarov (AZE) for Bronze.

97kg: Nothing yet: Foroutan drawn against Olinyk (HUN) in QF. Shabani vs Ruano (ITA) in Qualification. (If Foroutan beats Olinyk he will face Snyder in SF.)

125kg: Mohebi lost in SF 10-0 to Taha (TUR). Will wrestle against Ligeti (HUN) for Bronze. 

Edited by The Genius

Unfortunately today our two representatives from Kermanshah failed to make the finals. To be fair to them neither or them was expected to. In fact I thought Teymouri would lose by more to Dieringer who is very in form at the moment.

The real Kermanshah wrestler is that Ghiasi guy who won cadet worlds last year. He has everything he needs to go to the top of the sport in a few years if they develop him right. 

Teymouri was very disappointing, not because of the result but because he didn't even try in 2nd period. if you could listen to the coach, Mohammadi was furious I'm sure I heard the word "lamassab" few times lol (don't know what's the equal word for that in English, probably nothing) I think he is good in general but he needs more matches against tough wrestlers. even in his QF despite the lead, Mohammadi was pushing him to score a takedown in "the way they trained before"

today we had U23 team trials, interestingly we had some familiar names in the competition. we had Ghasempour and Yakhkeshi winning 86 and 61. I also can name Shahbazi (92), Sarlak (57) and Savadkuhi (79). Arashk Mohebbi was also there at 92 but he lost in semifinal (and not to Shahbazi)

Shaabani made it to the final after couple of good wins, it will be interesting to see him vs Snyder. this guy is really improved from what I heard last year Worlds U23 was his first international tournament.

his semifinsl vs Alborov .what he hell is that ! you see sometimes they lose control and do stupid things once or twice but Alborov deserved caution something like 5-6 times here. they had to disqualify him earlier.

Yasar Dogu FS update:

79kg: Teymouri won BRONZE after beating Abakarov (AZE) 7-4 in repechage.

97kg: Foroutan lost on criteria 4-4 against Olinyk (HUN) in QF. Shabani beat Alborov 10-0 but then by DQ... Absolutely disgusting performance from Alborov, straight out hit Shabani 2-3 times then attacks him at the end after the match is over. Should be banned. Shabani will wrestle against Snyder for Gold tomorrow. 

125kg: Mohebi lost in repechage against Ligeti (HUN) 10-1. 

2 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Lol I have to see this Mohebi match when I get home. Great job by Shabani.

Mohebi was manhandled on two separate occasions and lucky not to get pinned near the end, very little offence. Very disappointing. 

Shabani was fantastic against Alborov. Alborov is 2-2 against Snyder but that doesn't mean anything and I don't think Shabani and Snyder have ever wrestled before but I can't wait to see it. 

23 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Mohebi was manhandled on two separate occasions and lucky not to get pinned near the end, very little offence. Very disappointing. 

Shabani was fantastic against Alborov. Alborov is 2-2 against Snyder but that doesn't mean anything and I don't think Shabani and Snyder have ever wrestled before but I can't wait to see it. 

Saw the Mohebi match and it did not disappoint. Multiple four point moves. It's actually funny how bad Mohebi is. 

12 minutes ago, irani said:

where do you watch it?  The post video is not available in the US

I'm not in the US but you can probably watch it using a European VPN (try Windscribe for 10GB free per month)

4 hours ago, The Genius said:

Yasar Dogu FS update:

. Shabani beat Alborov 10-0 but then by DQ... Absolutely disgusting performance from Alborov, straight out hit Shabani 2-3 times then attacks him at the end after the match is over. Should be banned. Shabani will wrestle against Snyder for Gold tomorrow. 

Perhaps if he does something truly outrageous, such as go to the podium with a short sleeve shirt, they will ban him

Shabani lost 2-1 to Snyder in the final, he takes Silver. 

Snyder got a very early TD then Shabani got a push out (just about) at the start of the second period. Rest of the match there was little offence from Shabani, but he showed really good defence throughout (after the first 10 seconds). Snyder is really on form and Shabani is only 21, he can be proud. 

Have Snyder and R. Yazdani wrestled before? 

On 6/28/2019 at 11:56 AM, wrestfan said:

Atri 57, Ehsanpour 61, Emami 70, Teymouri 79, H. Yazdani 86, Karimi 92, R. Yazdani 97 and Hadi 125

questions are about 65 and 74, I think Afzali will be the 74kg guy (unfortunately) but 65 is still a mystery. none of them were convincing today.

What about Ebrahimi at 92kg and Mehran Nasiri at 65kg (is this same or different guy to Meisam Nasiri? I am a bit confused)? And Akbari for 74kg?

The lower weights are a disaster but I feel a bit better about Teymouri after his Yosar Dogu performances. Yazdani should get gold. Karimi beats everyone apart from Cox so that's a silver/bronze. Reza Yazdani should get bronze but I'm very excited to see him against the top 2. Hadi same as Reza. 

Shame about Yakheshi.

Alireza Dabir became the new president of Iran Wrestling Federation. he won the election today in the 2nd round. Khadem's vice president "Hamid Banitamim" who was supposed to be the main candidate was third in the first round. Dabir won the 2nd round 31 votes to 12 against a guy named Nassirzadeh (who was apparently a wrestler before but it looks like he was just a guy with connections, sounds like a dirty guy to me, glad he didn't win)

I wonder if Dabir is going to change anything, I know he has good relationship with Banna (doesn't necessarily mean he is OK with Bana's style) . no idea what he thinks about the freestyle team.

for some reasons nobody knows, other big names (Amir Reza Khadem and Abbas Jadidi) weren't allowed to be in the election, Dabir himself rejected in first place but they let him participate only in last 2-3 days. Alireza Heidari withdrew himself. usually only people with criminal background are rejected in such elections, which is weird because Amir Khadem was chancellor to sport minister only few months ago !!

Dabir was smart as a wrestler, let's see if he is smart here too or not, he lost his popularity when he entered into the politics, he was in bed with some bad people (by bad I mean so called hardliners in Iran) and the last time he entered into the election (for Tehran city council where reformists won every seat, 100%) he and his friends lost it badly. he lost his place in politics, so he came back to wrestling where he still has credibility.