wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

4 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

loool respect to the American. C'mon guys Zare is Goleij in HW. Even if he won here I would not have expected much from him at the senior level. 

Paris is pretty good. He would’ve been well known but he played football and wrestled in high school (and was offered scholarships for both, which is rare). It means he wasn’t focused on either and was still one of the best in the country. Football is where most of our super athletic big guys go. 

Now he has been training at one of our top programs full time for over a year. It is difficult to tell how good he will be, but at a minimum he is super strong, fast, and can beat most guys just by being a better athlete. 

Paris is a talented wrestler, definitely the best guy in the weight today. I am aware of what most big guys athletes in America do I have some family in California and Washington D.C lol. Unfortunately for Zare he is easy to analyse and the American coaching staff obviously had him figured out (he only does one thing) and they had an athlete with the talent and technical ability to execute the game plan to beat him. 

I was surprised Zare ran over the Russian as easily as he did. I agree with wrestfan they had a poor team despite winning the title. 

Edited by Shiraz123

10 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Paris is pretty good. He would’ve been well known but he played football and wrestled in high school (and was offered scholarships for both, which is rare). It means he wasn’t focused on either and was still one of the best in the country. Football is where most of our super athletic big guys go. 

Now he has been training at one of our top programs full time for over a year. It is difficult to tell how good he will be, but at a minimum he is super strong, fast, and can beat most guys just by being a better athlete. 

I followed him in wrestling as much possible when he was a Jr and Sr in HS.  He was pretty dominate and very, 'un-polished.'  Now he's been polished up a bit as Housebuye mentions.  Baring an injury, he can only get better and I look forward to seeing how much better.  

54 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

I followed him in wrestling as much possible when he was a Jr and Sr in HS.  He was pretty dominate and very, 'un-polished.'  Now he's been polished up a bit as Housebuye mentions.  Baring an injury, he can only get better and I look forward to seeing how much better.  

When he and Cassar met in the dual this year, I thought it was one of the most athletic heavyweight match-ups I'd ever seen. 

What's nuts about Parris is that he's still been able to find success using a junior high barrel roll at heavyweight. He's freaky athletic and strong. His left side single is really good too, probably his best attack once opponents know to stay out of his dump. He really should have redshirted last year imo. He's a guy that really needed a year to develop technically.

2 hours ago, The Genius said:

Abdollahi lost the Bronze medal match 8-6 vs GER. Very disappointing performance.

Now Zare has to win at 125kg if we want to finish 2nd. 

I'm very happy for Agca, I met him a couple of times and he's gonna be the number 1 in Germany in a few years, if he joins the military or similar to focus on training. How was the match?

Edited by Graverobber

1 hour ago, qc8223 said:

He really should have redshirted last year imo. He's a guy that really needed a year to develop technically.

Definitely agreed.  There were quite a few whom I thought should have red shirted?  I was surprised to see him 'go.'  I figured those teams must have needed them now?

@irani you should edit your post because the formatting is messed up, to embed a tweet here just put the raw url of the tweet into the text box. If you're using the twitter app then I think if you go to share --> share tweet via --> copy link --> then paste that link in here maybe that will work (unless that's already what you're doing!) 

JW GR:

55kg: Marz won Bronze.

63kg: Badaghi won Bronze

77kg: Naghousi won Gold.

87kg: Forouzandeh lost his Bronze medal match 4-4.

130kg: Yousofi won Gold (beat USA Schultz in the final).

From today's weights the picture is less good. One in repechage and one in Bronze match, other 3/5 are out (although they all won at least 1 match before losing). 

1 hour ago, The Genius said:

JW GR:

55kg: Marz won Bronze.

63kg: Badaghi won Bronze

77kg: Naghousi won Gold.

87kg: Forouzandeh lost his Bronze medal match 4-4.

130kg: Yousofi won Gold (beat USA Schultz in the final).

From today's weights the picture is less good. One in repechage and one in Bronze match, other 3/5 are out (although they all won at least 1 match before losing). 

Do you have the preliminary team standings by chance?

4 minutes ago, irani said:

Do you have the preliminary team standings by chance?

That's the top 5 including just the 5/10 completed weights. The day 2 weight classes did not do as well though so I don't think we can beat Russia, but everyone scored some points so should stay in second.

Screenshot 2019-08-17 at 19.39.20.png

Edited by The Genius

According to my (very unreliable) calculations:

60kg: Rezan (out) is likely to finish 10th and get 2 points.

67kg: Mokhtari (out) is likely to finish 8th-10th and get 2-6 points.

72kg: Rostami likely to get 4-8 points if he loses repechage, 10/15 if he wins repechage.

82kg: Forouz will win 10/15 points if he loses/wins Bronze match. 

97kg: Mahdavi will finish 10th and get 2 points.

Best case scenario: 40 more points up for grabs tomorrow. 

That was a bit of a waste of time because so much depends on the repechage results and there are many different permutations (that I probably missed), but a good mental exercise if nothing else lol.

Edited by The Genius

Is anyone seeing the situation America has for their 65kg representative at the world championships? Lawyers and courts are involved in  a legal proceeding over a controversial match in their trials. Makes me think how different their world is to Iran. Could you Imagine Ebrahimi  (just one example of many) taking Khadem to court because he sent Karimi to worlds even though he won the trials over him? In Iran they can literally do whatever they want with the athletes. Not so in the USA.

Edited by Shiraz123

2 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Is anyone seeing the situation America has for their 65kg representative at the world championships? Lawyers and courts are involved in  a legal proceeding over a controversial match in their trials. Makes me think how different their world is to Iran. Could you Imagine Ebrahimi  (just one example of many) taking Khadem to court because he sent Karimi to worlds even though he won the trials over him? In Iran they can literally do whatever they want with the athletes. Not so in the USA.

USA is the land of lawsuits/litigation, doesn't surprise me. 

2 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

they can do that because they have "clear rules" about that. even in Russia coaches have the last word.

I don't think that works in Iran, it was always up to the coaches / technical committee to pick the world team members.  if one day they install such system in Iran, it will take something like 10 years to actually work, most of Iranian top wrestlers always find a way to escape the trials. specially in Greco

I'm sure everybody knows Hamid Sourian, (the best Iranian wrestler ever with 7 World/Olympics titles) there is something unbelievable about him. he almost never wrestled inside Iran in his whole senior career !!! actually he wrestled only twice, once in World Cup (which was against foreign wrestlers) and one league match early in his senior career (it was either 2005 or 2006) which he lost by tech to Yasin Bahramipour (the match was fixed the opposite team had to win all matches by tech or fall to win the league title) in his whole career he always found a way to not wrestle in Iran.

2 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

I agree with you, as I think do most of the other people on this site. It's not good for lawyers., arbitrators, etc., to get involved. Nobody wants to see that.

I understand what you're saying about the situation in Iran. However, just wondering, if a wrestler or their coach feels that there has been an extreme  miscarriage of justice, is there any appeals process?

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux said:

I agree with you, as I think do most of the other people on this site. It's not good for lawyers., arbitrators, etc., to get involved. Nobody wants to see that.

I understand what you're saying about the situation in Iran. However, just wondering, if a wrestler or their coach feels that there has been an extreme  miscarriage of justice, is there any appeals process?

In general, the technical committee has the final word, and there is no appeal process.  The closest I can think of to such a situation was when in 1997, the idiot soccer coach decided he didn't like the best soccer player Iran ever had.  fans started online petition, and ultimately the coach was fired.  But the coach was fired not so much because of petitions, but because he was losing matches Iran should have won, and would have won with the superstar in the line up

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux said:

Well Parviz Hadi brought people to the streets in his hometown, even parliament members from his town/region brought the sport minister to the parliament trying to change that 2016 Olympics decision but nothing happened. (which turned out to be the right thing)

in general if there is a problem with an athlete/coach and a sport federation, they can appeal to the sport ministry. but nowadays most sport federations are somehow independent from the sport ministry. the sport ministry can't simply order them to do this and that. but they can strongly advise them lol but the sport ministry usually doesn't interfere with small matters like this. even in Hadi's case which became something serious, the still left it to the wrestling federation to decide and Khadem stood by his early decision.

2016 was Khadem's fault in a sense. He over complicated it sending them to these random tournaments like world cup and the Armenia one where they didn't even wrestle. In the end when  they finally had no choice and did the "fair" and normal 2/3 trials Ghasemi beat Hadi and he got the wrestler he wanted. 

A lot of things in our wrestling need to change. Random wrestlers who aren't even good making world teams without trials. Same general style in the majority of our wrestlers across all age groups and weights which becomes less and less effective as you progress from cadet to junior to senior.

Edited by Shiraz123

Also an interesting story regarding junior worlds. Talaei does an interview where he claims Maghsoudi is not a 65kg wrestler and will not be allowed to wrestle at 65 ever again due to cutting too much weight.

Now Maghsoudi says he has no problem at all making 65 and has no intention of going up as he wants to try for the Olympic team and it's not possible for him to build himself into a 74 in the short time left. He says he turned up weighing 68kg.

I wonder what this is all about and what will happen.

Rostami won Bronze at 72kg but Forouzandeh lost his Bronze medal match at 82kg. That's 15 + 10 points. 

Rezan (60kg) and Mokhtari (67kg) indeed got 2 pts each. Madhavi (97kg) should also get 2 pts.

That gives us 121 pts in total for the GR team race (2 Gold, 3 Bronze), finishing second behind Russia (157 pts). 

Edited by The Genius