Sign in to follow this  
wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

will the new US-IRAN travel bans have an impact on the wrestlers?

Looks like Iran is now banning US citizens from entering their country until the US rescinds the order signed by that child who lives at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue that bans Iranian citizens from entering the US. Unless cooler heads prevail, its safe to assume Iran won't send anyone to the Dave Schultz tourney and the US won't send a team to the men's freestyle World Cup.

Worse case scenario if this sh!t escalates more is that Iran will likely boycott events hosted in the US with other nations and international governing bodies following suit. Might want to hold off travel plans for 2018 World Cup in Iowa City. That event might get stripped.

Looks like Iran is now banning US citizens from entering their country until the US rescinds the order signed by that child who lives at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue that bans Iranian citizens from entering the US. Unless cooler heads prevail, its safe to assume Iran won't send anyone to the Dave Schultz tourney and the US won't send a team to the men's freestyle World Cup.

Worse case scenario if this sh!t escalates more is that Iran will likely boycott events hosted in the US with other nations and international governing bodies following suit. Might want to hold off travel plans for 2018 World Cup in Iowa City. That event might get stripped.

It needs to get stripped. So does the 2017 cup in Iran. Move both to countries that will not limit competition.

It needs to get stripped. So does the 2017 cup in Iran. Move both to countries that will not limit competition.

I feel where you are coming from with your logic, but considering that the US has sole blame for this fiasco I have no problem with keeping the 2017 Cup in Iran. 

Edited by Smedley

Guest Kingsland

The Iron Sheik has given his two cents worth of this sh!t show.

DoiojCQ.png

Trump vs. Sheik, steel cage death match.

I feel where you are coming from with your logic, but considering that the US has sole blame for this fiasco I have no problem with keeping the 2017 Cup in Iran. 

the US does not have sole blame for this "fiasco", governments who sponsor terrorism or support Wahhabism and Salafism are at fault. 

Edited by newyorkwrestler

the US does not have sole blame for this "fiasco", governments who sponsor terrorism or support Wahhabism and Salafism are at fault. 

Sports must be kept apolitical.  The U.S. has sole blame for this stupid decision.  Iran takes blame if they match it with their own stupidity, just like they are to blame for their policy to forfeit to Israeli wrestlers. There need to be exceptions for athletic Visas.  

No the US is being retarded. Sanctions against those countries is acceptable. A ban on those country's citizens is pointless and essentially walks back years of progress we have made on the diplomatic front with Iran.

While being a child and making statements and actions like "America First" might be very pallatble to the morons who voted him into office, this approach will have a lot of pushback and heavens forbid blowback from others in the world.

Sports must be kept apolitical.  The U.S. has sole blame for this stupid decision.  Iran takes blame if they match it with their own stupidity, just like they are to blame for their policy to forfeit to Israeli wrestlers. There need to be exceptions for athletic Visas.  

Very well put!  Agree with everything, specially the part about forfeiting to Israeli wrestlers.

Iran just banned all US visitors in retaliation , but the foreign ministry issued a statement declaring that the US wrestlers are exempt from the stupid policy. 

Some decent results for Iran at the Yarygin. Ebrahimi did pretty good beating Kudyamagomedov (who beat Karimi at world cup) who everyone was saying is the best 86 after Sadulaev, but lost a close match in the final due to an escaping the hold call. Sadeghzadeh got a bronze at HW. Ebrahimi has the best recent results of any Iranian 86kg wrestler after this tournament even though he didn't win it. 

Sadeghi was very bad again, losing 11-0 to a nobody. An embarrassing senior career for a guy who won junior worlds twice in a very tough weight class. 

https://youtu.be/bM0GIzDZTJA Ebrahimi against the Mongolian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyXE8Wyxec0 Ebrahimi in the finals

Iran squad is now final for the world cup

57, Hassan Rahimi (Tehran), Younes Sarmasti (East Azarbaijan)
61, Behnam Ehsanpour (Mazandaran), Masoud Esmaeilpour (Mazandaran)
65, Meisam Nassiri (Zanjan), Mohammad Mehdi Yeganeh-Jafari (Mazandaran)
70, Mostafa Hosseinkhani (Tehran), Hamed Rashidi (Kermanshah)
74, Peiman Yarahmadi (Lorestan), Bahman Teymouri (Kermanshah)
86, Hassan Yazdani (Mazandaran), Alireza Karimi (Alborz)
97, Amir Mohammadi (North Khorasan), Hossein Shahbazi (Tehran)
125, Komeil Ghasemi (Mazandaran), Yadollah Mohebbi (Kermanshah)

Some decent results for Iran at the Yarygin. Ebrahimi did pretty good beating Kudyamagomedov (who beat Karimi at world cup) who everyone was saying is the best 86 after Sadulaev, but lost a close match in the final due to an escaping the hold call. Sadeghzadeh got a bronze at HW. Ebrahimi has the best recent results of any Iranian 86kg wrestler after this tournament even though he didn't win it. 

Sadeghi was very bad again, losing 11-0 to a nobody. An embarrassing senior career for a guy who won junior worlds twice in a very tough weight class. 

I think Kudiya is the second best at 86 kg, I heard he was ill (if not on the matches, some weeks before).

I think Kudiya is the second best at 86 kg, I heard he was ill (if not on the matches, some weeks before).

They always make some excuse when he loses. He lost to Lashgari last year and they said something similar. This is the second time he has lost to Ebrahimi (he also lost to him at junior worlds). 

Another thing, Kudiyamagmoedov is a great wrestler but the Russian coaches seriously love this guy. Sazhidov was on some TV program a while back saying he is just as good as Sadulaev, I think it was after 2015 worlds. What is he talking about? LOL! 

Edited by Shiraz123

Another thing, Kudiyamagmoedov is a great wrestler but the Russian coaches seriously love this guy. Sazhidov was on some TV program a while back saying he is just as good as Sadulaev, I think it was after 2015 worlds. What is he talking about? LOL! 

Shirazi, do you watch every interview on wrestling and every wrestling match on the planet?  You seem to know everything about everything!

A bit update on Greco

Iran's squad for Greco World Cup

59 Mohammad Nourbakhsh, Saman Abdevali, Mohsen Hajipour / two of them

66 Amin Souri, Ali Arsalan, Mehdi Zeidvand / two of them

71 Mohammad Ali Geraei, Afshin Biabangard

75 Saeid Abdevali, Rasoul Garmsiri

80 Yousef Ghaderian, Ramin Taheri

85 Hossein Nouri, Mehdi Fallah

98 Mostafa Salehizadeh, Ali Akbar Heidari (or Mehdi Aliyari)

130 Amir Ghasemi-Monjazi, Behnam Mehdizadeh

unlike freestyle world cup this time Russia will send a very strong and scary team to Iran, including Vlasov, Chakvetadze and the rest of their top wrestlers, I won't surprise if they beat "this" Iranian team 8-0.

Iran used to be mediocre in Greco but since 2005 all of a sudden they became a top team in the world with coach Bana. now after 10 years, most of those "golden generation" wrestlers are retired and semi-retired and the current team is mediocre again. out of Olympic wrestlers, Akhlaghi is officially retired and Abdevali is here to wrestle again (even though not in shape at all) but 3 former Olympic champions, Sourian, Norouzi and Rezaei are not still sure about their future.

Reza Yazdani had his surgery today in Germany. we will find out soon if he can wrestle again or not but he wants to continue his career if he can.

I assume its his knee? Hope its not an upper body injury. It would be a shame if had to shave the taco meat off his chest.