wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

Greco World Cup draw

Group A: Russia, Iran, Germany, Kazakhstan

Group B: Turkey, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Ukraine

fair draw this time comparing to freestyle world cup, I see Iran in bronze medal match vs Turkey and Azerbaijan

Greco World Cup draw

Group A: Russia, Iran, Germany, Kazakhstan

Group B: Turkey, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Ukraine

fair draw this time comparing to freestyle world cup, I see Iran in bronze medal match vs Turkey and Azerbaijan

I see Iran in the gold medal match against either Turkey or Azerbaijan... if this was a chest and back hair competition. Although I would protest the omission of Armenia. Minus their dude at 98kg those guys sport some nice year round sweaters.

crazy-body-hair-designs-5.png

Edited by Smedley

I see Iran in the gold medal match against either Turkey or Azerbaijan... if this was a chest and back hair competition. Although I would protest the omission of Armenia. Minus their dude at 98kg those guys sport some nice year round sweaters.

It's a good thing for this guy they don't have Velcro mats Edited by gimpeltf

I would put my money on Georgia in such a contest, all day long!

new list for the national training camp, they are preparing for the Asian Championships in India and the Islamic Solidarity Games in Baku. apparently they were told by the Iran NOC to send a strong team to Baku. so I guess most of top tier wrestlers will go to Baku.

57, Rahimi, Sarmasti, Atri

61, Esmaeilpour, Ehsanpour, Sadeghi

65, Nassiri, Yeganeh-Jafari, Aghajani

70, Hosseinkhani, Rashidi, Ebadi

74, Yarahmadi, Hassantabar, Teymouri

86, Yazdani, Ebrahimi, Karimi

97, Mohammadi, Shahbazi, Goleij

125, Ghasemi, Mohebbi, Sadeghzadeh, Amiri

new list for the national training camp, they are preparing for the Asian Championships in India and the Islamic Solidarity Games in Baku. apparently they were told by the Iran NOC to send a strong team to Baku. so I guess most of top tier wrestlers will go to Baku.

57, Rahimi, Sarmasti, Atri

61, Esmaeilpour, Ehsanpour, Sadeghi

65, Nassiri, Yeganeh-Jafari, Aghajani

70, Hosseinkhani, Rashidi, Ebadi

74, Yarahmadi, Hassantabar, Teymouri

86, Yazdani, Ebrahimi, Karimi

97, Mohammadi, Shahbazi, Goleij

125, Ghasemi, Mohebbi, Sadeghzadeh, Amiri

Seems like overkill to me.  Besides Azerbaijan and Turkey, who else is strong in those games?  Are the Russians sending a Dagestan team perhaps?

Edited by irani

Seems like overkill to me.  Besides Azerbaijan and Turkey, who else is strong in those games?  Are the Russians sending a Dagestan team perhaps?

No, only members of the "Organisation of Islamic Cooperation" are eligible to participate, Russia is not. and they can send whoever they want, the participating athletes don't have to be Muslim.

when Turkey team was in Iran for the world cup, they had interviewed their head coach Adam Bareket and he said they will send a strong team (probably their A team) . Azerbaijan as host will take it seriously for sure.

here is the list of members

http://issf.sa/en/?page_id=3892

I see Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan here but not sure if they participate, since they didn't send a delegation to the 2013 edition (wrestling wasn't included that time) Asian Wrestling Championships will be held almost at the same time, another reason for some Asian countries to not participate.

I think they will let the veterans like Rahimi and Ghasemi rest, (not sure if they rest Yazdani , he needs more competition in his new weight) beside them they will probably send the A team to Baku. because Iran NOC asked them to do so. just my guess though.

I'm quite sure Khadem and his team are not interested in this event but they have to listen to the NOC since the wrestling federation receives financial help from them sometimes.

Iran squad for the Asian Championship and Islamic Solidarity Games

Asian Championships

57 Sarmasti or Atri
61 Ehsanpour
65 Nasiri or Yeganeh-Jafari
70 Rashidi
74 Teymouri
86 Karimi
97 Shahbazi
125 Ghasemi or Mohebbi

Islamic Solidarity Games

57 Rahimi or Sarmasti
61 Esmaeilpour
65 Nasiri
70 Hosseinkhani
74 Yarahmadi
86 Yazdani
97 Mohammadi
125 Ghasemi or Mohebbi

so they are almost sending the A team to Baku and B team to India

and the Greco team

Asian Champs

59 Abdevali
66 Arsalan
71 Biabangard or Belfakkeh
75 Poshtam
80 Taheri
85 Nouri
98 Salehizadeh
130 Ghourehjili

Islamic Solidarity Games

59 Nourbakhsh
66 Zeidvand
71 Geraei
75 Garmsiri
80 Ghaderian
85 Fallah
98 Aliyari
130 Mehdizadeh
Edited by wrestfan

Is Mohammadian done?

he is serving his 4 years ban, apparently they are trying to cut it to 2 years, (I don't know based on what) I remember he said somewhere that he probably won't wait 4 years and will quit wrestling if they fail to reduce his ban

and the Greco team

Asian Champs

59 Abdevali

66 Arsalan

71 Biabangard or Belfakkeh

75 Poshtam

80 Taheri

85 Nouri

98 Salehizadeh

130 Ghourehjili

Islamic Solidarity Games

59 Nourbakhsh

66 Zeidvand

71 Geraei

75 Garmsiri

80 Ghaderian

85 Fallah

98 Aliyari

130 Mehdizadeh

wrestfan do you know if Mehdizadeh is related to Mansour Mehdizadeh, the legendary freestyler who was a multiple world champion in the 1960s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What happened with Mohammadi? I believe he was at one of the training camps a few months ago (after Rio) and then he disappeared again. I see videos of him at the gym on his instagram. Very sad that they can't find someone better than Nasiri while he is gone. 

Edited by Shiraz123

What happened with Mohammadi? I believe he was at one of the training camps a few months ago (after Rio) and then he disappeared again. I see videos of him at the gym on his instagram. Very sad that they can't find someone better than Nasiri while he is gone. 

The last update I had on him was from about 3 months ago from coach Talaei who said they invited Mohammadi to the camp and he is training with them but still not ready to wrestle ! his name is not in the new list of the national camp, still doesn't mean he is not training with them.

he was injured for most of 2016 right?

yeah he was, despite his injury he tried his chance at the world cup (lost to Molinaro) and the Iranian Olympic trials (lost to Nasiri) , after losing his Olympic chance he went through a surgery and not recovered yet.

Iran squad is now final for the Asian Championships

Atri

Ehsanpour

Nassiri

Rashidi

Teymouri

Karimi

Shahbazi

Mohebbi

two interesting points here, they are sending Nassiri here and most probably they will send him again few days later to the Islamic Games ! which means Iran is in big trouble in this weight.

and sending Atri (who is #3 in Iran) to Asia means they will send Sarmasti to the Islamic Games and Rahimi will take a rest. there are also rumors that Ghasemi will not go to Baku as well, and Jaber Sadeghzadeh will take his place. apparently both Rahimi and Ghasemi don't feel they are in good shape.