wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

is there anyway to find results from the GR event in Turkey (Vehbi Emre) ? I tried but found nothing, no results, no video.

all I know is the results IAWF posted. (3 Iranians advanced to the final etc) but it looks like a quality tournament with Russia A team + some other good wrestlers.

I believe this is the Greco Trials for 2021 Worlds in Norway, I mean for non-Olympic weights + 87kg.

Just realised Kyle Snyder and Hasan Yazdani have similar medal records when it comes to the Olympics and the World Championship medals-i.e. 1 Olympic Gold, 2 World Championship Gold, 1 Silver and 1 Bronze at the Worlds. I wonder who will be ahead after Tokyo ? Or will be still the same Tally?

3 hours ago, window12 said:

Just realised Kyle Snyder and Hasan Yazdani have similar medal records when it comes to the Olympics and the World Championship medals-i.e. 1 Olympic Gold, 2 World Championship Gold, 1 Silver and 1 Bronze at the Worlds. I wonder who will be ahead after Tokyo ? Or will be still the same Tally?

Good question. 

They both have a guy who could random draw into their side who is a relatively high favorite over them (Mohammadean and Taylor). Snyder is opposite Sadulaev, so he doesn’t factor in as much. 

97Kg is way deeper than 86kg though. 

It will depend on draw I think. 

7 hours ago, window12 said:

For Yaz it just depends if he gets drawn on the same bracket as Taylor. If not, virtually guaranteed silver or gold. If yes, virtually guaranteed at least bronze with a not terrible shot at gold. 

Yaz's medals are across two (technically 3 I think with 70kg 74kg and 86kg) different weight classes, which makes his resume a bit more impressive than Snyder IMO.

Either way, Yaz only has one realistic contender for gold, Snyder has three, so he needs a lot more luck (and good performances) than Yaz to get to the final. 

5 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Good question. 

They both have a guy who could random draw into their side who is a relatively high favorite over them (Mohammadean and Taylor). Snyder is opposite Sadulaev, so he doesn’t factor in as much. 

97Kg is way deeper than 86kg though. 

It will depend on draw I think. 

Why is 86 kg so bad? Its not even close. Every other weight class has so much more talent. 

2 hours ago, The Genius said:

For Yaz it just depends if he gets drawn on the same bracket as Taylor. If not, virtually guaranteed silver or gold. If yes, virtually guaranteed at least bronze with a not terrible shot at gold. 

Yaz's medals are across two (technically 3 I think with 70kg 74kg and 86kg) different weight classes, which makes his resume a bit more impressive than Snyder IMO.

Either way, Yaz only has one realistic contender for gold, Snyder has three, so he needs a lot more luck (and good performances) than Yaz to get to the final. 

I agree-Yazdani looks more probable path to success.

I would argue the 86Kg is like most other weights. Yazdani is probably making almost everyone look not so great same as Sadullaev at 97 Kg. David Taylor was the exception back in 2018. Similar to Sadullaev and Snyder in 2017 but things changed in 2018 in that regards. Taylor sadly could not wrestle in 2019 so we dont know what would have happened then.  

http://iwf.ir/Content/Content.aspx?PageCode=60835

Procedure for 2021 worlds. No way I can be bothered writing all that in English.

And I think a lot of the best 86kg guys are just from the same countries, so at the world level with 1 entry the weight doesn't look great. In 2017 Hassan had Ghasempour and Karimi as his backups, that's crazy depth for a domestic weight class. Ghasempour was his backup for the whole last cycle actually but Karimi moved up. Cox had Taylor as his backup and then you have all the Russian 86kg guys who seem to always have extremely close matches with each other.

Also adding 92kg didn't help cause a lot of 86 guys just went there, and I really do think 92 is a kind of pointless weight.  But Iran will always win a medal there for the foreseeable future so I can't complain too much. Still if I was in charge of UWW I would not have 92kg.

Edited by Shiraz123

this is the most complicated trial process I ever seen! but I try to give a short summary but I have to say there are lots of ifs

in most of these weights if someone shines at the World Juniors, he will have a chance too.

57:
Atri is not going to Norway even if he wins the gold in Tokyo! (because he cuts weight) it will be between Alireza Sarlak and Ali Gholizadegan.

61:
Rahman Amouzad is already selected. still they monitor his performance at the World Juniors.

65:
if Ghiasi medals in Tokyo he goes to Norway! if not Abolfazl Hajipour is the main candidate to go, he has to win the gold in Aliyev tournament, otherwise an extra trial between him and World Juniors team member is possible.

70:
Mehdi Yeganeh-Jafari and Amir Hossein Maghsoudi will wrestle in Aliyev event.

74:
if Hosseinkhani wins a medal in Tokyo he goes to the Worlds, if not there will be trials between Younes Emami and Sadegh Firouzpour

79:
Bahman Teymouri and Hamidreza Zarinpeykar will wrestle in Aliyev

86:
if Yazdani wins a medal he will go to Norway as well but if he doesn't he has to wrestle Takhti Cup winner Hadi Vafaeipour. if Yazdani gets injured or doesn't want to go to the Worlds for any reason he will be replaced by Kamran Ghasempour.

92:
Arashk Mohebbi and Javad Ebrahimi will wrestle in Aliyev, they have to win the gold to stand a chance for wrestle-off against Alireza Karimi and later Kamran Ghasempour. (of course if Ghasempour doesn't go to 86kg) if nobody wins the Aliyev gold, it will be between Karimi and Ghasempour.

97:
if Mohammadin wins a medal in Tokyo he will go to the Worlds. if he doesn't Ali Shabani is next in line. but they will also give a chance to Mojtaba Goleij. if he wins gold in Aliyev tournament he can wrestle Shabani for the spot.

125:
same as other Olympic weights for Amir Hossein Zare, if he doesn't medal he still has a chance for wrestle-off against Abbas Foroutan only if Foroutan wins the gold in Aliyev.

-----------------

from the Olympic team members, only Yazdani and Zare still have a chance even if they don't medal in Tokyo. interestingly no chance for Taheri (no surprise when you lose to KGZ and Egypt)

so It will be something like this, just my prediction based on these rules
57: Sarlak
61: Amouzad
65: Hajipour
70: Maghsoudi
74: Emami
79: Teymouri
86: Yazdani
92: Ghasempour
97: Mohammadian
125: Zare

Thanks for the breakdown wrestfan.

For the most part it all makes sense. But what really stands out is the absence of Young Yazdani at 65 or 70 to be in the selection process. Giving some of the more promising members of the junior team a shot here is not bad either.

A very interesting year too as usually there is no worlds in an Olympic year but with how things are there will be opportunities for revenge and rematches from the Olympics only 3 months afterwards.

I think I personally prefer Ghasempour to go at 92 to face Cox. If Yaz doesn't want to go at 86 and Ghasempour chooses to go instead then I at least hope Taylor is there too. But let's see what happens in Tokyo. Not long now.

It's interesting because they named Gholizadegan but he didn't win the junior trials, Veisi did. But then Veisi was not at Takhti. They did write at the end that whatever they wrote regarding Gholizadegan will apply to who ever goes to junior worlds for Iran at 57 if it's not him. 

I have seen them change junior team members before if someone does particularly bad at asians ( when Dastan lost to China at junior asians they took him off the world team if I remember right) but asian juniors is cancelled this year. So as of now I am assuming what they wrote about Gholizadegan and 57 actually applies to Veisi. 

I can see them taking that Nemati guy off the junior team for losing to Amouzad at Takhti after beating him in the world team trials. Still a bit sneaky of them but this is Iran lol. Different situation than 57 because Amouzad actually beat Nemati recently. 

And I wonder who our junior 65 is and if he is good. 

Btw according to instagram we may see Goleij vs Sadulaev this friday in Russia. Goleij did say he thinks right now he doesn't see any wrestler in the world stopping him.

Edit: Seems Sadulaev going is official, the Russian head coach said it.

Edited by Shiraz123

25 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Btw according to instagram we may see Goleij vs Sadulaev this friday in Russia. Goleij did say he thinks right now he doesn't see any wrestler in the world stopping him.

oh I didn't know Aliev tournament is only few days away.

so if Rashid-khan participates, Goleij has to beat him and win the gold to have a chance for wrestle-off against Shabani. good luck with that lol

26 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Goleij would be the guy to randomly beat Sadulaev. His list of wins is ridiculous, considering he hasn’t made a senior world team. 

They did put him on the senior world team in 2018 despite him losing pretty badly in the trials. I can't fault you missing him at that tournament though considering he got teched in 2 minutes of his first match and the guy who did it didn't make the finals. I think Goleij is better now, though. Would be pretty great if he bullied a tired Sadulaev around the mat in the second period for the underhook to pushout tech. 

The loss is interesting because Shabani beat Albarov easily a year after this with a very similar heavy forward pressure style. 

Edited by Shiraz123

some of the wrestlers didn't get the visa in time to travel to Russia for Aliev tournament. they are going to Turkey instead (alongside the junior team) so we have some changes

Abolfazl Hajipour is going to Yasar Dogu. he will go there alongside two junior team members, whoever wins the gold (or beat the other two) will be Iran's rep. in Norway. of course if Ghiasi doesn't medal in Tokyo.

Teymouri, Zarinpeykar and also Mohammad Nokhodi will go to Turkey. whoever wins the gold (or beat the rest) will make the world team

Abbas Foroutan is also going to Turkey. if he wins the gold he will have chance for wrestle-off with Zare but only if Zare doesn't medal in Tokyo.

Stranger things have happened. It would be a shock if Sad lost. But I was more shocked when Cox lost a couple weeks ago to the random dude that didn't even get Gold.

Great opportunity for Goleij though. Hopefully he pulls off the massive upset.

17 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

Great opportunity for Goleij though. Hopefully he pulls off the massive upset.

I'm not holding my breath there as Gloeij is  barring an injury to Sadulaev is certain to lose . But will be an interesting match and a very invaluable experience for Goleij nonetheless.

This explain what Sadulaev has been looking a bit nervous the last few days.:)

Kidding aside, Goleji can impress not necessarily by winning, but by wrestling a good competitive match against arguably the best wrestler on the planet.  I hope he makes the most of this opportunity

1 hour ago, The Genius said:

Has Saravi wrestled Aleksanyan again since their close match in 2019 worlds?

Saravi avoiding the same bracket at Evloev is good news, I think he can beat everyone else.

No don't think so not since. I rate on his best day and with some luck and them 2 underperforming he can best them both. But he would need to be on point and those guys to have an off day.