Jump to content
wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, The Genius said:

he got Iran's entire judo team (his former teammates) suspended from all international competitions, and then dedicated his medal to Israel! Not to Iran, not to Iranian people, not to Iranian people in Khuzestan, not to his family, but to Israel. 

At least Kimia Alizadeh and Alireza Firouzja conducted themselves better after defecting, but I have zero respect for Mongolian Mollaei. 

He decorated his medal to Israel?? That does not sound right.  What is your source for that information?  I would understand if he dedicated it to Mongolia, his new country, but why Israel?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, irani said:

He decorated his medal to Israel?? That does not sound right.  What is your source for that information?  I would understand if he dedicated it to Mongolia, his new country, but why Israel?

https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/sport/1627394550-tokyo-olympics-iranian-defector-dedicates-silver-medal-to-israel

He trained in Israel before the Olympics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, The Genius said:

he got Iran's entire judo team (his former teammates) suspended from all international competitions, and then dedicated his medal to Israel! Not to Iran, not to Iranian people, not to Iranian people in Khuzestan, not to his family, but to Israel. 

At least Kimia Alizadeh and Alireza Firouzja conducted themselves better after defecting, but I have zero respect for Mongolian Mollaei. 

LOL, he dedicated it to Israel? Not gonna lie that's pretty funny. 

https://www.timesofisrael.com/winning-judo-silver-in-tokyo-iranian-defector-mollaei-dedicates-medal-to-israel/

Yeah I searched it and he actually did. I dunno that's amusing to me personally. He would make a good online troll. I don't really care about that. 

Edit 2: In his story he says it's fake news and he only dedicates it his family and those close to him. So maybe not as funny as I thought it was, or he is lying in his instagram story.

As for him getting Iran banned, I don't know the details. From a quick wikipedia search it seems Israel is more of a force in Judo that it is in wrestling, they have a world champ in his weight class. I didn't know Israel is good at any sports, but seems like this isn't wrestling where Israel is probably getting eliminated as soon as they face anyone decent. He was at a higher risk of losing medals with a legitimately tough guy in his own weight class from what I am reading. Wikipedia says he did an interview and said he was under pressure to lose to Israel and thought he could get in trouble for speaking out about it. I don't see any lie there unless there is more details I am unaware of. And I don't think it's his job to cover for Iran's policy on sport. Khadem also spoke out about it, UWW just didn't do anything. His was to Iranian media and maybe his tone was less harsh, so maybe that is the difference. I haven't listened to either ones exact words.  But in general I agree. From a biased perspective obviously I want to watch wrestling and want to watch people from where I was born wrestle, so I would not want them to get banned. However If I was completely unbiased I would also ban Iran. 

Let's say Israel had qualified at 86kg. First round Yazdani wrestles Naifanov. For 2 years since Naifanov got pinned he has been watching tape, training hard, and dedicating his life completely to beating Yazdani. He ends up losing a close match. Next round Yazdani hits Israel and pretends he's injured. Not only is Naifanov's goal of Olympic gold gone, he can't even win a bronze because he lost to a guy that is wrestling for a federation that is forfeiting matches for political reasons. Is it fair? When you play these stupid games you don't just impact yourself or even your own country, you are ruining the hard work of other athletes who are completely unrelated also. This stuff happens, Emami beat James Green then lost to Turkey on purpose to avoid Israel. Now James Green has flew all the way from America to Italy to wrestle one match against a tough guy at 70kg who then turned around and had a pretend wrestling match in the next round. 

Not sure how Kimia Alizadeh conducted herself or who Firouzja even is so I can't comment on those. 

Edit: He thanked his family here

https://www.instagram.com/p/CR16pL_Ly0a14eaQAltHaGWY-LnUZAZBb11IR40/

 

Edited by Shiraz123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boycotts are morally justified and effective. I don't want to hear any country say anything about Iran's boycott of a country that has implicitly threatened to nuke them unless they didn't boycott any Olympic games in the 1980s. 

But I believe boycotting should be an individual decision and not blanket policy imposed from the top.  

I don't doubt that Mollaei was forced to lose the game and that should not have happened. But he went very public with it with constant public comments and the head of the international Judo federation (some information came out showing he's personally/politically very pro-Israel) made it his personal crusade to punish Iran. As a result, no Iranian judokas can compete now. Obviously the policy is primarily to blame but other athletes that defected to compete freely (totally understandable) managed to do so far more quietly, and without dedicating their subsequent wins to Israel (they are even making Israeli tv shows about Mollaei). 

FYI, it's not relevant but the Israeli judoka in that division actually didn't medal at all and, separately, Mollaei finally wrestled him earlier this year and beat him anyway. https://www.timesofisrael.com/exiled-iranian-judoka-finally-faces-israeli-competitor-and-wins/

Edited by The Genius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Boycotts are morally justified and effective. I don't want to hear any country say anything about Iran's boycott of a country that has implicitly threatened to nuke them unless they didn't boycott any Olympic games in the 1980s. 

But I believe boycotting should be an individual decision and not blanket policy imposed from the top.  

 

While complete mandatory boycott like in the 80s is still stupid in my opinion, it at least only impacts your athletes. If Iran didn't even send a team to any tournament where Israel has an athlete entered then that is better than going and hoping the brackets align correctly. If you want to boycott at your own personal cost by not even entering the tournament then go ahead. But don't waste the time and efforts of some random Polish wrestler or whatever because of a dispute that has nothing to do with them. Any country that does that fully deserves to be banned.  And if you are going to waste someone's time and effort at least actually make a stand.

Iran's "boycott" is extremely ineffective for the simple reason that they don't even admit to the world that they are boycotting, they just round up some government officials and pat each other on the back in private when the athlete gets home. If you're going to make a stand then it's kind of important to actually let the world know why you're making a stand.  Pretending you're not competing  because you're hurt kind of defeats the whole purpose. If they want to make a statement they should go ahead and say i'm not going to compete with this guy because I believe the country they are competing for is committing genocide against Palestinians.  

Quote

Other athletes that defected to compete freely (totally understandable) managed to do so far more quietly, and without dedicating their subsequent wins to Israel (they are even making Israeli tv shows about Mollaei). 

Meh, government put him in a bad position and he lashed out. Everyone has their own personality and way of dealing with things. I'm not seeing any reason to get mad at the guy. 

If he's pro Israel personally then whatever, that's his business. He can love Israel and the next guy can love Palestine. It's all fine.

 

Quote

FYI, it's not relevant but the Israeli judoka in that division actually didn't medal at all and, separately, Mollaei finally wrestled him earlier this year and beat him anyway. https://www.timesofisrael.com/exiled-iranian-judoka-finally-faces-israeli-competitor-and-wins/

Yeah it looks like he flopped. But he's a world champ in 2019, I don't follow Judo but I assume he must be at least somewhat decent and a threat to progress in the bracket and ruin the tournament for him if he's still competing for Iran. Even the fact that he qualified to be in the Olympics is a threat.

 

 

 

 

Edited by Shiraz123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Boycotts are morally justified and effective. I don't want to hear any country say anything about Iran's boycott of a country that has implicitly threatened to nuke them unless they didn't boycott any Olympic games in the 1980s. 

But I believe boycotting should be an individual decision and not blanket policy imposed from the top.  

I don't doubt that Mollaei was forced to lose the game and that should not have happened. But he went very public with it with constant public comments and the head of the international Judo federation (some information came out showing he's personally/politically very pro-Israel) made it his personal crusade to punish Iran. As a result, no Iranian judokas can compete now. Obviously the policy is primarily to blame but other athletes that defected to compete freely (totally understandable) managed to do so far more quietly, and without dedicating their subsequent wins to Israel (they are even making Israeli tv shows about Mollaei). 

FYI, it's not relevant but the Israeli judoka in that division actually didn't medal at all and, separately, Mollaei finally wrestled him earlier this year and beat him anyway. https://www.timesofisrael.com/exiled-iranian-judoka-finally-faces-israeli-competitor-and-wins/

Let's assume for a second that boycotts are the right thing to do (which I don't think is true)

Rasul Khadem said it perfectly, "if we must boycott Israel, we should not ask the individual athletes and coaches to carry the burden on their shoulders"

If Iran wants to boycott, they should honestly and transparently do so, and live with the consequences.  It is completely unfair to athletes like Karimi to lose two years of their prime for something that is not their fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, irani said:

Let's assume for a second that boycotts are the right thing to do (which I don't think is true)

Rasul Khadem said it perfectly, "if we must boycott Israel, we should not ask the individual athletes and coaches to carry the burden on their shoulders"

If Iran wants to boycott, they should honestly and transparently do so, and live with the consequences.  It is completely unfair to athletes like Karimi to lose two years of their prime for something that is not their fault.

I don't disagree: I said "boycotting should be an individual decision". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, irani said:

Volleyball disaster

canada 3 Iran 0

now I am not even sure we’ll make it out of the group stage

Italy and Japan will be tough

I'm confident we will. Japan are currently losing to Italy and face Poland next, then Iran. As long as we beat Italy or Japan we will get through.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Is that an upset?

Yes, I would say so

other than a couple of months ago, Iran has beat Canada  easily

In other news, Iran lost 120-66 to USA in basketball.  That is NOT an upset :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Genius said:

I'm confident we will. Japan are currently losing to Italy and face Poland next, then Iran. As long as we beat Italy or Japan we will get through.  

Italy beat Japan 3-1

There are now 4 teams that are 2-1 Poland, Italy, Japan and Iran

IF we can beat at least one of the two teams (Italy, Japan) we have a good shot of advancing.  Other than a match during Iran's downward spiral, Iran usually beats Japan easily.  But this is in Japan's home turf.

Italy beats Iran more often than Iran beats Italy.  Let's hope for the best

We could have eliminated Canada, and confirmed advancement to the next round, it was a terrible outcome against Canada, and losing3-0 means we got no points for the match

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, irani said:

Italy beat Japan 3-1

There are now 4 teams that are 2-1 Poland, Italy, Japan and Iran

IF we can beat at least one of the two teams (Italy, Japan) we have a good shot of advancing.  Other than a match during Iran's downward spiral, Iran usually beats Japan easily.  But this is in Japan's home turf.

Italy beats Iran more often than Iran beats Italy.  Let's hope for the best

We could have eliminated Canada, and confirmed advancement to the next round, it was a terrible outcome against Canada, and losing3-0 means we got no points for the match

I read an interview with (I think) Ebadipour after the match and he said they didn't have much time to rest and recover, Canada had to win to survive so they performed well, and it was a good shock for the Iranian players to motivate them to do better in their next games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, The Genius said:

I read an interview with (I think) Ebadipour after the match and he said they didn't have much time to rest and recover, Canada had to win to survive so they performed well, and it was a good shock for the Iranian players to motivate them to do better in their next games.

Their recovery time was the same as Canada's.  As he said in that interview, they just had a terrible, terrible day.

https://www.khabarvarzeshi.com/news/318975/واکنش-عجیب-ملی-پوش-والیبال-پس-از-شکست-مقابل-کانادا-عبادی-پور

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, irani said:

Their recovery time was the same as Canada's.  As he said in that interview, they just had a terrible, terrible day.

https://www.khabarvarzeshi.com/news/318975/واکنش-عجیب-ملی-پوش-والیبال-پس-از-شکست-مقابل-کانادا-عبادی-پور

Yeah and Iran's previous game was around 10 hours earlier than Canada's, so they actually had more time to recover so that's not a very good excuse lol

Edited by The Genius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, irani said:

He decorated his medal to Israel?? That does not sound right.  What is your source for that information?  I would understand if he dedicated it to Mongolia, his new country, but why Israel?

 

 

 

In the interview on I saw on theNBC Olympic channel, I heard him thank Mongolia and his "ex-country" Iran, and after he blew kisses and then walked off (I am assuming to avoid controversy or tough questions). The audio in frequently low quality during the interviews and his accent wasn't terrible but still mad eit a little hard me me to understand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

Iran got smoked by Team USA in basketball. 

Yes, already reported 

5 hours ago, irani said:

Yes, I would say so

other than a couple of months ago, Iran has beat Canada  easily

In other news, Iran lost 120-66 to USA in basketball.  That is NOT an upset :)

We are all trying to overcome the shock :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Does anyone know when they will do the draws for GR? I think I read it somewhere but now I can't find it. 

First draw happens saturday for 60 and 130kg.  1pm Japan time the day before competition they will do the draws for the weights being contested, so from saturday onwards they will put out draws for a few weights everyday until it ends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

First draw happens saturday for 60 and 130kg.  1pm Japan time the day before competition they will do the draws for the weights being contested, so from saturday onwards they will put out draws for a few weights everyday until it ends.

The draws will all be day before each comp?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Uwwdoc said:

The draws will all be day before each comp?

Yes, I know recently in many tournaments they release the complete draws for all 10 weights the day before competition even for those not wrestling on the first day, but here they will only do draws for weights that are going to happen the day after. So you will get 3 draws a day - 2 men's weights and 1 women's. They will do 1 women's weight everyday alongside greco and men's freestyle as their women's team is very strong so they are trying to showcase that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...