wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

Holy **** that was crazy. Geraei was 5-1 down with around 30 seconds to go then gets a push out, injury point because the Croat needed some kind of treatment, then a massive 4 pt throw in the last 5 seconds (which is challenged down to 2 pts), so Geraei wins 5*-5 and is in the SF against Tamas Lorincz (2019 World champion). 

Saravi beats Milov (2018 Worlds silver) 6-0 and is in the SF! He will wrestle the winner of Arvi (FIN) and Aleksanyan (ARM) - both are extremely tough matches for Saravi. 

Both Geraei and Saravi in the SF.

Geraei has recent wins over both guys in the other SF, but unfortunately he faces Lorincz and so is not the favourite to win that. 

Saravi has losses to both Arvi and Aleksanyan, but his loss against Aleksanyan was much closer. 

Update: Saravi will wrestle Aleksanyan (3x world champion, 2016 Rio Gold, 2012 London Bronze) in the SF. Unfortunately for him, he will have to beat Aleksanyan or Arvi to win a medal, and one is the reigning Olympic champion and the other beat him 9-1 the last time they wrestled. 

Edited by The Genius

3 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Saravi beats Milov (2018 Worlds silver) 6-0 and is in the SF! He will wrestle the winner of Arvi (FIN) and Aleksanyan (ARM) - both are extremely tough matches for Saravi. 

Both Geraei and Saravi in the SF.

Does Aleksanjan look healthy and in form? He has been erratic over the last cycle. 

I actually fancy Geraei's chances over Lorincz more than Saravi over AA. Both can go all.the way though. Geraei actually makes Greco-Roman fun to watch and exciting so he is a real credit to the sport and I reckon it would do the sport good for him to pick up gold.

Geraei loses 5-6 to Lorincz and will wrestle for Bronze tomorrow. 

If he didn't pointlessly lose that challenge about the foul contact near the end I think he would have won on criteria...

Unfortunately Geraei was probably our best GR hope for gold. But it was a close match and he gave a good account of himself against the current world champion. 

67kg Geraei has a pretty rough draw for tomorrow: if he wins his first match against the refugee team, he faces the winner of Frank Stabler (3x world champ) and Nemes (2019 World bronze and 2021 European champ). And if he manages to win that he'll face the major gold favourite, Cuba's Ismael Borrero, in the SF.

Edited by The Genius

Saravi loses 1-4 to a very injured Aleksanyan and will wrestle for Bronze tomorrow.

That match was bull****. How many passivity points so quickly? Saravi lost a challenge and was put back down for another parterre which ruined his chances. But Aleksanyan's injury helped him get lots of extra recovery time, he was gassed, but no point for Saravi for Aleksanyan needing treatment mid-match!

Just watched both SF matches. Feel so bad for both guys. Objectively I feel both guys got shafted by some bad officiating. That 2 and caution for Geraei for what foul exactly? It was awful. The whole way it seemed like an uphill battle. Such a shame cause the Olympics mean everything to these guys.

Saravi equally deserved much better. Poor call for the 2 and he wasn't passive at all yet kept getting the passivity against him. Aleksanyan done nothing to get into the final. What a shame.

Hopefully no injustice will occur in FS. Tomorrow we find out the draw for Hassan Yazdani.

In case anyone doesn't know yet, Mirzazadeh lost to Kayaalp in the bronze match 7-2, as I expected. It wasn't close, he's not on the same level.

Some small respite: many of the top guys who beat our guys (Lopez, Kayaalp, Aleksanyan, Lorincz) are in their 30s and close to retirement, compared to 27 yo Ali Geraei, 22 yo Saravi, 23 yo Mirzazadeh (and 22 yo Nejati and 25 yo Reza Geraei). 

I think Saravi in particular could be a medal favourite in every worlds/Olympics going forward, and there's an opening at 130kg which I hope Yousofi (21 yo) will grow into. Obviously there are always new guys coming up who could change the landscape.

Where did this 60kg Luis Orta come from? He has never medalled before and he came and dominated everyone. Cuba has been incredible with Orta Lopez and Borrero at 67kg to come. Very impressive. 

59 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

Just watched both SF matches. Feel so bad for both guys. Objectively I feel both guys got shafted by some bad officiating. That 2 and caution for Geraei for what foul exactly? It was awful. The whole way it seemed like an uphill battle. Such a shame cause the Olympics mean everything to these guys.

Saravi equally deserved much better. Poor call for the 2 and he wasn't passive at all yet kept getting the passivity against him. Aleksanyan done nothing to get into the final. What a shame.

Hopefully no injustice will occur in FS. Tomorrow we find out the draw for Hassan Yazdani.

Saravi was posting on Alexanyian's calf with his hand when Alexanyian was going for the lift that he pulled his hamstring on. It was the correct call.

Whatever happened in that bout, Aleksanyan still has a trashed shoulder--had surgery on it but he's taken some serious damage over the years.  Most likely very near the end of a great career.  Hoping he can pull it together for one final bout tomorrow.

Edited by Coach_J

3 minutes ago, Chet Hanson said:

Saravi was posting on Alexanyian's calf with his hand when Alexanyian was going for the lift that he pulled his hamstring on. It was the correct call.

100%...
there have been about 3 calls where I was WTF???

the replay on all proved these officials are on point...

1 minute ago, Chet Hanson said:

Hopefully we don't see reffing like the Gomez (PUR) vs UZB at Rio 2016!

I am cautiously optimistic...

greco is so much more difficult to officiate...

if they can do as good as they are right now, the women’s style should be gravy...

**insert straight face**

20 hours ago, The Genius said:

Holy **** that was crazy. Geraei was 5-1 down with around 30 seconds to go then gets a push out, injury point because the Croat needed some kind of treatment, then a massive 4 pt throw in the last 5 seconds (which is challenged down to 2 pts), so Geraei wins 5*-5 and is in the SF against Tamas Lorincz (2019 World champion). 

20 hours ago, irani said:

Holly crap

tbst is the most amazing last second come back I have ever witnessed in wrestling 

I like how the Croatian guy wasted 8 seconds of the clock complaining about it

46 minutes ago, LJB said:

FYI...

I have seen nothing but quality consistent officiating so far...

it has been a breath of fresh air so far...

Well that's nice, but why were there two passivity points in the second period within such quick succession? Especially when it did not look like Saravi was being passive at all. I don't doubt the 2 pt foul, but the second passivity point in the second period against Saravi seemed unjustified and that lost Saravi the match. 

5 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Well that's nice, but why were there two passivity points in the second period within such quick succession? Especially when it did not look like Saravi was being passive at all. I don't doubt the 2 pt foul, but the second passivity point in the second period against Saravi seemed unjustified and that lost Saravi the match. 

I can’t say for sure without watching again...

what I can say is that with no emotion and rooting interest, there has been absolutely no complaints with the reffing...

1 hour ago, The Genius said:

In case anyone doesn't know yet, Mirzazadeh lost to Kayaalp in the bronze match 7-2, as I expected. It wasn't close, he's not on the same level.

Some small respite: many of the top guys who beat our guys (Lopez, Kayaalp, Aleksanyan, Lorincz) are in their 30s and close to retirement, compared to 27 yo Ali Geraei, 22 yo Saravi, 23 yo Mirzazadeh (and 22 yo Nejati and 25 yo Reza Geraei). 

I think Saravi in particular could be a medal favourite in every worlds/Olympics going forward, and there's an opening at 130kg which I hope Yousofi (21 yo) will grow into. Obviously there are always new guys coming up who could change the landscape.

Where did this 60kg Luis Orta come from? He has never medalled before and he came and dominated everyone. Cuba has been incredible with Orta Lopez and Borrero at 67kg to come. Very impressive. 

130 kg is going to be in flux now. Riza is gone. That leaves Kajaia, Semenov, Oscar, and Acosta all of who are roughly the same level. Not enough separation between them to have a reign. Its a good window for someone new to establish themselves. 

Cuba does that. Aleksanjan's opponent in Rio was also an out of nowhere cuban. I feel like the avg Russian rep is still better than the avg cuban, but the Cubans produce more outlier talents. 

17 minutes ago, LJB said:

I can’t say for sure without watching again...

what I can say is that with no emotion and rooting interest, there has been absolutely no complaints with the reffing...

Well I have a complaint so that's already not true. And another American on the main thread agreed that the second passivity call was strange. Maybe you should watch it then you will be in a better place to comment.