wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

11 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

that was another Shapiev. Isa ! probably his brother. Javrail won Aliev recently and he is better than his brother.

Yazdani beat him once in 2018 Asian quite easily. but looks like he is improved a bit since then. still I expect an easy win

Oh wow, you're right. J went to Asia and qualified the weight. Yeah Deepak beat Isa at Asian champs. Javrail is the one that Yazdani wrestled here:

We will see the rematch in a few hours. They look extremely similar. 

Edited by Shiraz123

8 minutes ago, The Genius said:

thanks. welcome back. what are your thoughts on the team's GR performance? 

I usually stay away from social media during the big events. can't stand possible negative comments.

I think they did OK, it would be a "very good performance" with 3 medals but Ali Geraei threw away his medal. except him the rest of the team is very young.

it could be much better, Nejati lost to someone weaker than himself. Saravi could wrestle in the final, Mirzazadeh could win a medal if he was on the other side of the draw but overall I'm satisfied with the results specially if Geraei junior ends up winning the gold.  this is the first final for Iran in Greco-Roman in Worlds/Olympics since 2015!

1 hour ago, The Genius said:

Does anyone know if Atri has wrestled Atli before?

I know Atri recently lost to Bekhbayar (but has also beat him more than once) and has lost to Gilman and Ravi and Uguev, but not sure about Atli. Either way, the fact all those guys have previously beat him and 3 of those are in his bracket is not a good sign. 

Atri did win the most recent meeting with Gilman, but Gilman owns the series 2-1. First wrestled at junior worlds way back in the day. Haven't wrestled in a few years though.

Atri needs to give everything in a few hours cause his career is:

2014 Junior worlds - DNP

2017 U23 worlds - DNP

2017 Senior worlds - DNP

2018 Senior worlds - DNP

2019 Senior worlds - DNP

2021 Olympics ?

16 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I know absolutely nothing about greco scoring so I am genuinely interested in your take on the scoring of the 67 kg bout between Armenia and Egypt. I have never seen a pin taken off the board before. 

i just went back and watched...

it was a leg foul on the second turn which led to the "pin"...

he jumps in between the legs of EGY and uses EGY legs to fulcrum his body up and turn him to his back...

absolutely the right call...

that is why the took the 2 for turn off as well...

i came into the match during the challenge so i totally missed that...

i had to watch it 3 times just now to see what exactly they saw on tape...

again...

fantastic officiating on the challenge...

ref missed it... judge missed it...

challenge made...

the review got it 100% right...

what more could anyone ask for?

3 hours ago, The Genius said:

Does anyone know if Atri has wrestled Atli before?

I know Atri recently lost to Bekhbayar (but has also beat him more than once) and has lost to Gilman and Ravi and Uguev, but not sure about Atli. Either way, the fact all those guys have previously beat him and 3 of those are in his bracket is not a good sign. 

I do not know the answer, but here is my assessment

• When Atri wrestles people he has lost to before, he will be an underdog
  • When Atri wrestles people he has not wrestled before, he will be an underdog
  • When Atri wrestler people he has defeated before,  he will be an underdog.

I cannot wait for Yazdani matches,  Which weights wrestle tomorrow?

2 minutes ago, irani said:

Tomorrow (4 August):

• 67kg GR (medal matches)
  • 57kg FS
  • 86kg FS

5 August:

• 57kg and 86kg FS (medal matches)
  • 74kg FS
  • 125kg FS

6 August:

• 74kg and 125kg FS (medal matches)
  • 65kg FS
  • 97kg FS

7 August:

• 65kg and 97kg FS (medal matches)

I'm unsure how DT v Shabanu match will pan out.  Shabanu is multiple world medalist and DT last title was back in 2018. Is there a reasonable chance of an upset or is it all going to go as expected for DT? 

7 minutes ago, window12 said:

I'm unsure how DT v Shabanu match will pan out.  Shabanu is multiple world medalist and DT last title was back in 2018. Is there a reasonable chance of an upset or is it all going to go as expected for DT? 

Zero chance of an upset. DT 10-0 win virtually certain. No one else is on his level, not even Naifonov. Only Yazdani is close to DT's level, and even Yazdani is 0-2 against DT (soon 0-3 unless DT isn't the wrestler he was in 2018). 

6 minutes ago, LJB said:

....smash kill destroy...

Sounds like an episode of Rocky and Bullwinkle rather than events at women's style wrestling match at 2020 Tokyo Olympics but I get what you mean... I think

1 minute ago, The Genius said:

Zero chance of an upset. DT 10-0 win virtually certain. No one else is on his level, not even Naifonov. Only Yazdani is close to DT's level, and even Yazdani is 0-2 against DT (soon 0-3 unless DT isn't the wrestler he was in 2018). 

I quite agree

2 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Ah ..well just have to hop Yaazdani does not slip up en route then..

3 minutes ago, window12 said:

Sounds like an episode of Rocky and Bullwinkle rather than events at women's style wrestling match at 2020 Tokyo Olympics but I get what you mean... I think

**brofist**

Just seen there is an Israeli referee here, they put his name and country on the screen kind of like they would for a wrestler. How does that work with the rules Iran has for athletes? 

UWW doesn't show this stuff at normal worlds so for all I know maybe he has officiated a 100 matches for Iranian wrestlers before but it's just something I noticed. 

Yazdani beats Shapiev 11-2 and advances to the QF. 

Very cautious and measured approach from Yazdani, marked difference to his usual relentlessly attacking pressure style. I thought there were a few moments where he went for 1 point where he could have gone for 2 and 2 when he could have gone for 4. Nothing incredible but overall an energy efficient victory. 

His next match likely against Reichmuth should be easier than this one, giving him time to rest for Naifonov. 

4 minutes ago, irani said:

Well Yazdani won, but to me, he was not as dominating as he usually is.

how did you guys see it?

The same as you. Hard to interpret how much is a conscious change in approach, the opponent itself, the layoff. But yes not the same blitzing domination.

4 hours ago, irani said:

I apologize to Atri and any of his fans