Jump to content
wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, LJB said:

i don't know who i would pick between yaz and dake, but, i would watch it with no hesitation...

It would be nice if there were more of these "exhibition" matches made, beat the streets style etc. Yaz Vs JB now at 86 or a catchweight. All the others just mentioned, Dake etc.

 

JB wrote on twitter commending Yazdani and probably wrote in 140 characters what I feel generally speaking about it.

 

20210805_164458.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

I would agree, except for years we have seen Dake consistently beat Taylor. He even went up a weight and took Cox to a very tight best of 3 series. The guy he lost to yesterday also was at 79 kg last year (I think). We also saw Dake convincingly beat JB at Olympic trials on full rest after the weigh in. I’m not calling Dake the favorite, but I’d say it’s 50/50.

 

With all that said, Yaz is an Olympic gold and silver, his credentials dwarf Dake’s, and he is 3 years younger. So I’d say your argument is probably better supported than mine and based more in reality. Mine is based more on just my opinion and my high regard for Dake. 

These matchup scenarios are pretty common. Sometimes someones style is just perfect against a far more decorated opponent. 

Bruce had a match up problem against Shumilin. On paper a far inferior wrestler who Bruce should have won against. Shumilin got pinned by Erikson, while Erikson could never get past Bruce. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HawkY said:

These matchup scenarios are pretty common. Sometimes someones style is just perfect against a far more decorated opponent. 

Bruce had a match up problem against Shumilin. On paper a far inferior wrestler who Bruce should have won against. Shumilin got pinned by Erikson, while Erikson could never get past Bruce. 

Based on my paper predictions, I am batting about 30% accuracy :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, irani said:

Based on my paper predictions, I am batting about 30% accuracy :)

I did decently at predicting finalists,  but I've only gotten one weight right so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, irani said:

Based on my paper predictions, I am batting about 30% accuracy :)

ha...

i am the absolute worst at "predicting" wrestling matches...

i would take 30% in a cocaine heartbeat...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HawkY said:

I did decently at predicting finalists,  but I've only gotten one weight right so far. 

I'm the same. Predicted Kumar Uguev and Yaz and Taylor. But I only called Uguev right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have some potentially great matches coming up, I am very much looking forward to

  • Geno vs Gable -  I predict Gable will win
  • Sadulaev vs Mohammadian -  Assuming it happens, I expect a close match, but Sadulaev should win

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

My friend just told me Taylor said he will be in Oslo, lol. This guy is gonna finish his career 7 - 0 over Yazdani. He doesn't stop. I thought he would relax for a bit. 

Nah, I figured he would be, his prime is only for another year and a half most likely and he has only 1 world title to his now gold olympic medal. He's hungry to get as many worlds as possible and I am sure he will shoot for Paris too.

But 7-0? I'll tell the jokes here man. Lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Dake should think about going up to 86 for olympic reasons, I never thought he suits the cut to 74 and the disaster here may have had the weight cut playing a part. 79 obv his ideal weight but it isn't an olympic weight. And considering 86 isn't too deep a division and he has the better track record vs Taylor it might be a thought.

Edited by Uwwdoc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Folks are down on Yazdani.  But what would have been the talk if Taylor didn’t get that TD?  Big if I know.  But it seems that the tune would be tremendously change.  Yaz is a super star.  I’d love to see him and Taylor wrestle 10 more times.

Edited by nom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nom said:

Folks are down on Yazdani.  But what would have been the talk if Taylor didn’t get that TD?  Big if I know.  But it seems that the tune would be tremendously change.  Yaz is a super star.  I’d love to see him and Taylor wrestle 10 more times.

This is exactly my point, some of the chat you would think DT teched him. There really is nothing much between these 2 and I would happily see them wrestle more. I also don't feel if they wrestled 10 times then Yaz loses 10 times either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Yazdani has to go to Oslo. He said he wants as many gold medals as possible and he would look weak if he didn't go. The best way to recover from a mentally damaging loss is to get back out there and get some wins and start rebuilding. 

In a nightmare scenario, DT keeps wrestling until 2024 and keeps beating Yazdani. I'm not sure what he would do if that happened, but maybe that could force him to add new skills. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 7 - 0 is an exaggeration, I doubt they even wrestle 3 more times. 4 - 0 if he beats him in Oslo, which he probably will. Then maybe one more time. I think Yazdani beats Taylor 2/3 times out of 10 with the strategy he used today. 0 times out of 10 with the strategy he used the first two times of course.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the book is out on how to beat taylor. Yazdani watched dake and cox tapes. They slowed him down and played defense. The only difference is he didn't execute down the stretch. Taylor doesn't set up his shots well and is more easily able to be stopped than you think. Couldn't score on an injured cox for the last half of his match. Surprised Yazdani gave it up at the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, alliseeisgold said:

the book is out on how to beat taylor. Yazdani watched dake and cox tapes. They slowed him down and played defense. The only difference is he didn't execute down the stretch. Taylor doesn't set up his shots well and is more easily able to be stopped than you think. Couldn't score on an injured cox for the last half of his match. Surprised Yazdani gave it up at the end.

Those guys can actually take him down, Yazdani doesn't have that ability at all. And to be fair to Taylor he had 3 matches with Cox, he dominated the first one and the other two were razor thin losses. Cox did get hurt in the last one though as you said. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Those guys can actually take him down, Yazdani doesn't have that ability at all. And to be fair to Taylor he had 3 matches with Cox, he dominated the first one and the other two were razor thin losses. Cox did get hurt in the last one though as you said. 

I am not sure Taylor has gotten even a single takedown or point on Dake the last few times they wrestled. I mean Taylor can get absolutely shut down. Last 2 matches with Cox and last few with Dake, I'd be interested to see what his takedowns are. But I know he's had a 0 in 6 minutes.  

So I think Yazdani can win without a takedown but his defense wasn't as good. He's right there with the gameplan today. I'm surprised taylor scored at the end honestly. In that situation he hasn't in those type of matches.

IMO if I'm Yaz I come out early and get a better working margin before shutting it down. He got up on taylor last 2 times but kept going and got wore out. Either that or wait to make your aggressive moves toward the end. I kind of feel Yazdani had enough in the tank to go get a score at the end but already had committed to playing defense. ......and again, if he just plays defense better he wins. That may be all he has to improve on there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, alliseeisgold said:

I am not sure Taylor has gotten even a single takedown or point on Dake the last few times they wrestled. I mean Taylor can get absolutely shut down. Last 2 matches with Cox and last few with Dake, I'd be interested to see what his takedowns are. But I know he's had a 0 in 6 minutes.  

So I think Yazdani can win without a takedown but his defense wasn't as good. He's right there with the gameplan today. I'm surprised taylor scored at the end honestly. In that situation he hasn't in those type of matches.

IMO if I'm Yaz I come out early and get a better working margin before shutting it down. He got up on taylor last 2 times but kept going and got wore out. Either that or wait to make your aggressive moves toward the end. I kind of feel Yazdani had enough in the tank to go get a score at the end but already had committed to playing defense. ......and again, if he just plays defense better he wins. That may be all he has to improve on there.

 

This is what I was hoping for from his gameplan and I think I posted about this months ago, he changed his style to be defensive and that was fine but he should have had some bursts of attack to try and get a bigger lead than what he had so that if something like what happened happens it wouldn't hopefully mean he loses the whole match and has a bigger gap to protect rather than 1 or 2 points. This worried me when in the semis Yaz was 3 1 up and with about 15 seconds Nafionov got a leg but Yaz managed to counter it, but it is too close leaving things like that. That cost him today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, The Genius said:

The best way to recover from a mentally damaging loss is to get back out there and get some wins and start rebuilding. 

 

Yes and no. He can take a few months off to relax, recharge, refresh the mind, skipping the Oslo tournament won't be a bad thing given how close it is to Tokyo. It's gruelling what he has been through, I think he could do with a mental and physical recharge. And then come back with a better mindset to rebuild. Really depends how he feels in himself, but wouldn't be bad or look bad to take a few months

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, alliseeisgold said:

I am not sure Taylor has gotten even a single takedown or point on Dake the last few times they wrestled. I mean Taylor can get absolutely shut down. Last 2 matches with Cox and last few with Dake, I'd be interested to see what his takedowns are. But I know he's had a 0 in 6 minutes.  

So I think Yazdani can win without a takedown but his defense wasn't as good. He's right there with the gameplan today. I'm surprised taylor scored at the end honestly. In that situation he hasn't in those type of matches.

IMO if I'm Yaz I come out early and get a better working margin before shutting it down. He got up on taylor last 2 times but kept going and got wore out. Either that or wait to make your aggressive moves toward the end. I kind of feel Yazdani had enough in the tank to go get a score at the end but already had committed to playing defense. ......and again, if he just plays defense better he wins. That may be all he has to improve on there.

 

Yeah Yazdani has never been the type to manage a match like what Cox or Dake would do. He goes full force with the pressure and runs up the score, and if he gives something up here and there it happens because the score at the end will be wide. Taylor's just a terrible matchup for him. Can barely score on him, if he does score it's a pushout and it takes a lot out of him. I agree he can beat Taylor now with this game plan, but Taylor is still the favourite until age catches up with him and I am sure with this improved approach to the match he's still going to lose more often than not. 

Knowing Yazdani and his skillset it's not realistic to expect him to completely shut out Taylor from scoring a TD or two on him for 6 minutes. Just isn't going to happen. That means he's either going to have to get a takedown of his own which won't happen unless Taylor wrestles stupidly (like he did at times in their match in Budapest) or slowly accumulate pushouts point by point. Problem there is he'd need to get 2/3 pushouts for every 1 takedown Taylor gets in order to have criteria. Possible but won't happen most times they wrestle. 

Edited by Shiraz123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the book is out on how to beat taylor. Yazdani watched dake and cox tapes. They slowed him down and played defense. The only difference is he didn't execute down the stretch. Taylor doesn't set up his shots well and is more easily able to be stopped than you think. Couldn't score on an injured cox for the last half of his match. Surprised Yazdani gave it up at the end.

Yazdani shoots, he gets flattened, out scrambled, and Taylor gets 2. It might work once a match, but he’ll give up 6 and gas out in the process.

Using J’den and Dake as blueprints for beating Taylor is a horrible idea. Yazdani isn’t in their level offensively and defensively, respectively.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cannot imagine the pressure he was under and how badly he wanted to win. 

For others, he says he knows how much people care about him and he's sorry he didn't win (then leaves because he is overcome with emotion). Quite emotional. 

Edited by The Genius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...