wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

6 minutes ago, irani said:

Does anyone know anything about Za-Re’s Chinese opponent?

he looks ok against Geno

have the two wrestled before?

Deng. Yeah he is a world bronze and silver(easy draw)  His best wins at the world level are against Gwiz and Kozyrev. Lost to Hadi convincingly and never challenged the big 2. 

He is Khots level guy. Maybe a bit better. Zare should be fine. 

Just as it looks like Ghiasi might genuinely pull off an upset after doing quite well vs Bajrang he only goes and messes it up and puts himself in an awful position to get pinned. Sums up Iran entire performance. Wtf

Just now, Billyhoyle said:

Damn that's a brutal way to go down.  Great heart to take a shot when his opponent was on the clock though.  

Shows heart snd also lack of strategy

Ghiasi  has two great single legs snd could not finish the job

Bajrang shower world class defense

Just now, irani said:

Shows heart snd also lack of strategy

Ghiasi  has two great single legs snd could not finish the job

Bajrang shower world class defense

I don't know . . . better wrestler finishes those . . . Bajrang isn't known for world class defense. 

Just now, TripNSweep said:

So I wonder how the Iranian team's showing that isn't up to their usual standard will be handled back in Iran. 

This is usual standard.  Around 3 medals for Iran is average with 10 weights. Yazdani had  luck with Taylor injuring himself. 2 non gold medals out of 6 weights is exactly in line with how Iran performed this cycle. Only disapointment is not getting bronze at 97.

1 minute ago, Shiraz123 said:

This is usual standard.  Around 3 medals for Iran is average with 10 weights. Yazdani had  luck with Taylor injuring himself. 2 non gold medals out of 6 weights is exactly in line with how Iran performed this cycle. Only disapointment is not getting bronze at 97.

But the matches they are losing seem like they gas out too easily and just aren't up to the same standard. Watching the guy at 97 just basically die out there wasn't what I'm used to seeing. 

2 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

But the matches they are losing seem like they gas out too easily and just aren't up to the same standard. Watching the guy at 97 just basically die out there wasn't what I'm used to seeing. 

Actually we  lost against the exact same guy last worlds, lol. That wrestler lost 1 - 1 to Migammadian in the trial for this Olympics. Migammadian then repeated the process by losing to Odikadze again 

Edited by Shiraz123

Here is my realistic review of Iran's FS performance

• 57 - Atri 5th place, 2 wins, 2 losses - Slightly better than expected
  • 65 - Ghiasi one win, got pinned - as expected, but the pin was painful
  • 74 - Hosseinkhani, one loss and out.  Actually did better against Dake than I expected
  • 86 - Yazdani - Silver, as expected.  Pleased with the change in strategy.  Losing in the last 15 seconds was painful
  • 97 - Mohammadian - complete disater
  • 120 - Zare - Bronze, really as expected, pretty good for a 20 year old, last second loss to Geno was painful

In general, the coaches did a good job of strategizing, they did a really poor job on conditioning.  While it feels like the whole thing was a disaster, other than Mohammadian, we should not be surprised with any of the results

13 minutes ago, irani said:

Here is my realistic review of Iran's FS performance

• 57 - Atri 5th place, 2 wins, 2 losses - Slightly better than expected
  • 65 - Ghiasi one win, got pinned - as expected, but the pin was painful
  • 74 - Hosseinkhani, one loss and out.  Actually did better against Dake than I expected
  • 86 - Yazdani - Silver, as expected.  Pleased with the change in strategy.  Losing in the last 15 seconds was painful
  • 97 - Mohammadian - complete disater
  • 120 - Zare - Bronze, really as expected, pretty good for a 20 year old, last second loss to Geno was painful

In general, the coaches did a good job of strategizing, they did a really poor job on conditioning.  While it feels like the whole thing was a disaster, other than Mohammadian, we should not be surprised with any of the results

Mostly agree but I think you remember Zare match wrong, he was done after first period and was behind for around the last minute and half. No last second loss. Geno had the last second loss in the next match, lol. 

Edited by Shiraz123

Just now, Shiraz123 said:

Mostly agree but I think you remember Zare match wrong, he was done after first period and was behind for around the last minute and half. No last second loss. Geno had the last second loss in the match, lol. 

Thanks for correcting me once again.  You are right as always.  I should have written "it was painful to be ahead and then lose"

But the point I am trying to make is that the FS performance was really not disappointing, outside of Mohammadian.

What we should be disappointed about is that Iran wrestling has fallen so far that we went into the Olympics knowing we have no short in 57, 65 and 74.  In 86, our star is the second best on the planet, in heavyweight, we have a young kid who did really well (although he is also the second best young kid on the planet now), and in 97 we had a disaster