wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

Final thoughts:

57 - Is that the end of Atri's career? He tried but he wasn't good enough. He won the trial and he was the best we had these past few years so can't complain.

65 - Not much to say but this was a funny headline quote from Ghiasi after he lost to Bajrang:

https://www.varzesh3.com/news/1772640/قیاسی-قرار-نیست-همه-با-مدال-برگردند

Keep in mind he said this before Bajrang even lost in the semi final to Haji Aliev, so technically he still had a medal chance. Funny stuff. Good for Ghiasi to be an Olympian. 

74 - Hosseinkhani did what he could but he doesn't have the skills to medal at this weight

86 - Talked about a 100 times now so no need to elaborate. Right game plan for what Hassan's skill set is but too technically weak in many areas to get it done. We actually lose a lot of matches that look just like this from cadet level to senior level because of this style of wrestling. 

97 - Worst guy. He really embarrassed himself. I can see why coaches like Karimi. He is consistent at least, probably would have won a medal here. They should work on Karimi more at 97 the next years. I think he can get some medals. 

125 - This was the most surprising to me after Mohammadian. I knew he could lose, but not like that. If Geno had taken him down in the first period and teched him with turns or a leg lace I would not be surprised. If Geno got a big lead in the first period and held on as Zare slowly scored pushouts I would not be surprised. But he got exactly the match he wanted by not having Geno score on him at all in period 1 and taking it to the second period and he ended up gassing. Huh? So what's the point of your style then? I duno that still shocks me, maybe it's just me but that match still has me surprised. Good for him to get the bronze but we saw his limits here. Or I should say his limits were confirmed.

Edited by Shiraz123

Mohammadian is the biggest disappointment. Would love to see what he has to say about that. From pinning Snyder and thinking of giving Sad a run for his money to going out like that 1st match.

I don't buy that he was an overhyped fluke. He consistently not just beat but smashed forcing competition in 3 tournaments in 18 months. Pinning snyder and teching bo. This performance against Georgia was more bizzare. Would love to hear the explanation. He looked off as he was running towards the mat.

Overall very sad to see how Iran has done in FS and where they are at. Compare this to US and Russia. Poor.

1 hour ago, Shiraz123 said:

Final thoughts:

57 - Is that the end of Atri's career? He tried but he wasn't good enough. He won the trial and he was the best we had these past few years so can't complain.

65 - Not much to say but this was a funny headline quote from Ghiasi after he lost to Bajrang:

https://www.varzesh3.com/news/1772640/قیاسی-قرار-نیست-همه-با-مدال-برگردند

Keep in mind he said this before Bajrang even lost in the semi final to Haji Aliev, so technically he still had a medal chance. Funny stuff. Good for Ghiasi to be an Olympian. 

74 - Hosseinkhani did what he could but he doesn't have the skills to medal at this weight

86 - Talked about a 100 times now so no need to elaborate. Right game plan for what Hassan's skill set is but too technically weak in many areas to get it done. We actually lose a lot of matches that look just like this from cadet level to senior level because of this style of wrestling. 

97 - Worst guy. He really embarrassed himself. I can see why coaches like Karimi. He is consistent at least, probably would have won a medal here. They should work on Karimi more at 97 the next years. I think he can get some medals. 

125 - This was the most surprising to me after Mohammadian. I knew he could lose, but not like that. If Geno had taken him down in the first period and teched him with turns or a leg lace I would not be surprised. If Geno got a big lead in the first period and held on as Zare slowly scored pushouts I would not be surprised. But he got exactly the match he wanted by not having Geno score on him at all in period 1 and taking it to the second period and he ended up gassing. Huh? So what's the point of your style then? I duno that still shocks me, maybe it's just me but that match still has me surprised. Good for him to get the bronze but we saw his limits here. Or I should say his limits were confirmed.

"but we saw his limits here. Or I should say his limits were confirmed."  Seriously Shiraz?  The kid is 20 years old winning a bronze medal in the Olympics.  He lost a close match to an tremendous wrestler 3X WC - Man are you a tough audience.  I expect Zare's best days are ahead of him.

5 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

"but we saw his limits here. Or I should say his limits were confirmed."  Seriously Shiraz?  The kid is 20 years old winning a bronze medal in the Olympics.  He lost a close match to an tremendous wrestler 3X WC - Man are you a tough audience.  I expect Zare's best days are ahead of him.

I agree. And if Gable is really going to pursue other ventures by 2024 he probably will be one of the favourites for gold.

47 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

I agree. And if Gable is really going to pursue other ventures by 2024 he probably will be one of the favourites for gold.

If Gable does retire from competitive wrestling let's hope Parris, Kerkliviet, Cass or other lesser known guys step up big time to fill the gap.  Like most American fans I hope this Gold whets Gable's appetite and he decides to compete through 2024 before pursuing other options.  

2 hours ago, lu1979 said:

I wouldn't say it was too close. He was getting pinned at 1 point and thankfully they stopped it, and Geno scored 6 unanswered in the second period. Zare got the match he wanted and it made him tired. If he lost in a different way then I would see it as a better result. He's a good wrestler still, if 125 ends up being left between him and the young Russian Kozyrev then he can win many golds. In any case it's HW so he can rack up world medals, I just think we saw the limitations of his style with this loss and the 3 others he has had in the past year or so.

Actually I think Geno benefits most from Gable leaving. I heard Akgul's also going to retire now, so with those two gone Geno has a nice path to 2024. 

And to be honest I don't like the way Zare wrestles so i'm probably biased lol. I hope more HWs that rely on leg attacks and takedowns immerge in the future now that Akgul/Steveson are probably gone and Geno is most likely in his last cycle. 

Anyway good Olympics guys, see you in October for Yazdani - Taylor round 4. I'm going to go ahead and confidently say Yazdani wins this time. 

2 hours ago, lu1979 said:

If Gable does retire from competitive wrestling let's hope Parris, Kerkliviet, Cass or other lesser known guys step up big time to fill the gap.  Like most American fans I hope this Gold whets Gable's appetite and he decides to compete through 2024 before pursuing other options.  

Cass! That's hilarious!

By the way, I want to point out the obvious

The performance by the US men freestyle team was simply amazing. All five men's freestyle wrestlers earned medals, and produced a 16-3 overall record

Other than Dake, everyone did better than or as expected, and even Dake managed to redeem  himself by defeating Chamizo and winning bronze.

So who is going to Oslo for Iran?  I copy and pasted @wrestfandetail post from a few weeks ago.  I crossed out those who are no longer contenders in the weight class.  Is my list accurate?

Man, we have a rich team in 92 kg, and almost all of them would be in 86 if it wasn't for Yazdani

57: Ali Gholizadegan will go to Norway if he wins a medal in World Juniors. if he fails he has to face Alireza Sarlak

61: Rahman Amouzad is already selected

65: Hassan Ebadi won the trials in Turkey, he will go to the Worlds if Ghiasi fails to medal in Tokyo. (fair to say Ebadi is going to both World Juniors and Seniors this year)

70: Amir Hossein Maghsoudi outranked his opponent in Aliev but still has to wait for World Juniors result. if Erfan Elahi wins the gold he will earn himself a trial against Maghsoudi.

74: there will be trials between Younes Emami and Sadegh Firouzpour but only if Mostafa Hosseinkhani fails to medal in Tokyo

79: Mohammad Nokhodi won the trials in Turkey and is already selected (for both juniors and seniors teams)

86: Hassan Yazdani is already selected unless he doesn't want to go. in that case Kamran Ghasempour

92: Javad Ebrahimi has to wrestle Alireza Karimi first and the winner will face Kamran Ghasempour for the world team spot. if Ghasempour goes to 86kg. it will be just between Karimi and Ebrahimi

97: Mohammad Hossein Mohammadian will go to Norway if he wins a medal in Tokyo. if he doesn't there will be trials between Ali Shabani and Mojtaba Goleij

125: if Amir Hossein Zare wins a medal in Tokyo he will be selected for the Worlds as well. even if he doesn't he will have another chance to wrestle Abbas Foroutan for the spot.

My wishlist

57: Ali Gholizadegan 

61: Rahman Amouzad 

65: Hassan Ebadi 

70: Erfan Elahi 

74: Sadegh Firouzpour 

79: Mohammad Nokhodi

86: Hassan Yazdani 

92: Kamran Ghasempour 

97:  Ali Shabani and Mojtaba Goleij (I don't really care, I don't think either has a shot, I would actually like to give Karimi another shot)

125: Amir Hossein Zare

Edited by irani

Agree 100%. Karimi needs to be the 97 going forward. Technical unlike Goleij and Shabani who just do step outs. Maybe this trial for worlds just let Goleij and Shabani sumo each other around and decide the spot between them but for 2022 I want to see Karimi at 97, he can medal in this weight for sure. After what happened today Shabani might lose to Odikadze again assuming Odikadze didn't retire. Iranian fans must apoligise to Karimi for the mistreatment, lol. 

If there is an explanation to the complete disaster against Georgia thar has merit, then based on all other tournaments that he had then Mohammadian probably still is our best 97kg and if it was just a one off and we can see the Mohammadian that we saw in Rome that would be great. Like him or not he beat the silver medalist at 97kg this year and the bronze medalist.

5 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

If there is an explanation to the complete disaster against Georgia thar has merit, then based on all other tournaments that he had then Mohammadian probably still is our best 97kg and if it was just a one off and we can see the Mohammadian that we saw in Rome that would be great. Like him or not he beat the silver medalist at 97kg this year and the bronze medalist.

The way it is set up for Oslo, Mohammadian or Karimi are not in contention, it's between Goleji and Shaabani.

I have no problem with Mohammdian trying to redeem himself in time for the 2022 world championship.  In terms of wrestling skills, Mohammadian and Karimi are head and shoulders above Goleji and Shaabani

15 hours ago, irani said:

The way it is set up for Oslo, Mohammadian or Karimi are not in contention, it's between Goleji and Shaabani.

I have no problem with Mohammdian trying to redeem himself in time for the 2022 world championship.  In terms of wrestling skills, Mohammadian and Karimi are head and shoulders above Goleji and Shaabani

The latest I have heard is that he was so preoccupied mentally about facing Sad potentially that he completely messed up against the Georgian. Although I find this really poor for a variety of reasons, if it really was a mental lapse and he can now learn from that so it does not happen again I would personally give him another shot as I don't think at 97 we have better, and as I said before he has had some excellent showings making some think he has an outside chance at gold.

I don't think the IAWF will view it like this, but if Sad and Snyder and co are coming to Norway then it would be good to see how he does with mental focus. If he goofs again at least we know where we stand.

But yeah apparently it will be likely Shabani at 97 for Oslo. Which is fine I suppose.

On a different topic, here is another story about how Qatar and other countries are importing athletes Qatar Imports athletes

I am surprised Qatar does not have a wrestling team.  I think it may be because they mostly limit themselves to Arabic speaking athletes, and when it comes to wrestling, there are not too many good Arab speaking wrestlers.

1 minute ago, irani said:

On a different topic, here is another story about how Qatar and other countries are importing athletes Qatar Imports athletes

I am surprised Qatar does not have a wrestling team.  I think it may be because they mostly limit themselves to Arabic speaking athletes, and when it comes to wrestling, there are not too many good Arab speaking wrestlers.

Forgive my potential linguistic and cultural ignorance, could they snag some egyptian wrestlers then? Egypt has had a few very good guys over the years, including this year.

19 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

Forgive my potential linguistic and cultural ignorance, could they snag some egyptian wrestlers then? Egypt has had a few very good guys over the years, including this year.

Yes, Egypt would be pretty much the only potential source.  They did a get a weightlifter out of Egypt

5 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

Any insight on the Iranian Junior team? Tournament is fast approaching. Any info on the team and who might be favorites would be most appreciated! 

My only insight is that two of them have extra incentive to do well.  If they perform well, they will be rewarded by representing Iran in the senior team at Oslo

57 Kg : Ali Gholizadegan will go to Norway if he wins a medal in World Juniors. if he fails he has to face Alireza Sarlak

70 kg. if Erfan Elahi wins the gold he will earn himself a trial against Maghsoudi.

12 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

Any insight on the Iranian Junior team? Tournament is fast approaching. Any info on the team and who might be favorites would be most appreciated! 

57: Ali Gholizadegan - Came third in the junior trials but then won the Takhti senior cup in Iran, after this they sent him and Veisi (the winner of the junior trials) to Yasar Dogu. Gholizadegan won gold and Veisi didn't get any medal so he's on the team. Gholizadegan came 5th at cadet worlds in 2019.

61: Rahman Amouzad. 2 x cadet world champ, was in the running for the olympic team but lost a close one to Atri at 57 in the trial. Bronze at the world 2020 world cup/championship thing. Won gold at Yasar Dogu beating a recent U23 world champ from Kyrgzstan in the final

65: Hassan Ebadi. Won the trials at Yasar dogu by placing the best out of the other Iranians. Don't know much about him, guessing he isn't very good.

70: Erfan Elahi: 60kg cadet world silver in 2019, won the trial

74: Forgot his name, didn't do anything except win the trial

79: Nokhodi. Your wrestler Carr beat him  easily at the last junior words at 74kg. @irani likes him a lot but he's not good lol

86: Firouzpour, cadet world champ in 2019 at 80kg. Yasar dogu champ, teching world silver Fatih Erdin (I think that's his name, same guy Taylor teched for his gold in 2018 world final) in the final.

92: Hajilouyan. Teched his way through the trial but don't know much more about him. Tall guy. 

97: Abdollahi - Won cadet worlds at 92 in 2018. 

125: Akbarpour - won the trial

Edited by Shiraz123