wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

4 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

79: Nokhodi. Your wrestler Carr beat him  easily at the last junior words at 74kg. @irani likes him a lot but he's not good lol

What @Shiraz123 (aka Mr. positivity or Mr. Optimism) left out is that Nokhodi took silver in the 2019 U23 worlds , and a bronzer in the 2019 Asia Seniors, and  he was much younger than his opponents,  he will also be representing Iran on the senior's team in Oslo, so someone besides me likes him

To be clear, is it not that I like him, but in the absence of strong senior talent, I always favor giving younger wrestler opportunities to improve

I went back and watched one of Nokhodi's matches U23 match

On the negatives side,

• He is tall, and vulnerable to single leg attacks, and gives up single legs too easilly

On the postiive side

• He has endurance, does not gas
  • He has the mental toughness to fight back from being behind
  • He displayed more than underhooks and push outs

Mohamadian surprised all in negative sense but he looked copletely like Boltukaev at previous olimpics 
Both crushed everyone before and both failed at it. 
There are rumors about Boltukaev that he was on PEDs and cleared himself before games - so that was effect when you chanceled PEDs 
Iran have to choose diferent guy if Mohamadian have same issues - He wouldnt be same wrestler without it 

44 minutes ago, Gio said:

Mohamadian surprised all in negative sense but he looked copletely like Boltukaev at previous olimpics 
Both crushed everyone before and both failed at it. 
There are rumors about Boltukaev that he was on PEDs and cleared himself before games - so that was effect when you chanceled PEDs 
Iran have to choose diferent guy if Mohamadian have same issues - He wouldnt be same wrestler without it 

Mohammadian was already caught using an illegal substance, and paid a hefty price for that, by missing out four years of his wrestling career.

It would take a special kind of stupid for him to use Illegal substances again.  I doubt very much that using PED again and giving them up for the Olympics was his issue.

On 8/8/2021 at 4:39 PM, Jaroslav Hasek said:

Any insight on the Iranian Junior team? Tournament is fast approaching. Any info on the team and who might be favorites would be most appreciated! 

And what's your junior team? Who are the good wrestlers? 

looks like Iran will have a new freestyle coach, they are not going to continue with G. Mohammadi.

I think freestyle results were kind of expected, just Mohammadian failed miserably (3 medals would be OK, 2 medals is now considered a bad result) and losing lots of matches in the 2nd period means coaches did something wrong in the preparations. except Hosseinkhani who was losing anyway, the other 5 guys lost in the 2nd period. 4 of them were leading before the last 2 minutes. even Atri had a very good start against Uguev.

btw I don't think Ghiasi gassed or something, he did the best he could do. that was a technical mistake. he could defend his 2-0 lead (Bajrang was on shotclock) in the last minute but he went for something he is not good at it.

1 hour ago, wrestfan said:

looks like Iran will have a new freestyle coach, they are not going to continue with G. Mohammadi.

I think freestyle results were kind of expected, just Mohammadian failed miserably (3 medals would be OK, 2 medals is now considered a bad result) and losing lots of matches in the 2nd period means coaches did something wrong in the preparations. except Hosseinkhani who was losing anyway, the other 5 guys lost in the 2nd period. 4 of them were leading before the last 2 minutes. even Atri had a very good start against Uguev.

btw I don't think Ghiasi gassed or something, he did the best he could do. that was a technical mistake. he could defend his 2-0 lead (Bajrang was on shotclock) in the last minute but he went for something he is not good at it.

To be expected and the right call really. Who will be the main candidates for the job? And anyone folks hope for?

And to touch on your point I see a lot of people on social media, here and on TV talking about all our guys gassing. Actually apart from Zare who gassed vs Georgia did any of our guys actually really gas? Or was it more poor strategy/technique/mistakes, even mental aspect that made all of the guys who did not medal contribute to their loss. It's a solid point that 4 of the 6 were leading before 2 minutes left on the clock.

1 hour ago, Uwwdoc said:

To be expected and the right call really. Who will be the main candidates for the job? And anyone folks hope for?

And to touch on your point I see a lot of people on social media, here and on TV talking about all our guys gassing. Actually apart from Zare who gassed vs Georgia did any of our guys actually really gas? Or was it more poor strategy/technique/mistakes, even mental aspect that made all of the guys who did not medal contribute to their loss. It's a solid point that 4 of the 6 were leading before 2 minutes left on the clock.

no name mentioned yet.

in Iran whoever loses in the last minute(s) = by default gassing lol

but I agree with you it wasn't about gassing for all of them. even Zare didn't gas brutally, he still could win the match. personally I believe it was mostly the mental aspect. and lack of proper defense. and also having poor strategies sometimes. I mean nobody expected Ghiasi to do anything in Tokyo but that was "his lucky day" he could win a medal in Tokyo. who the hell told him to attack while his opponent was on the shotclock. Atri looked in complete control for 2 and half minutes against Uguev, why he fell apart like that against the weakest Uguev ever.

I thought they are going to wait until the 2021 Worlds, but it seems we will have a new coach soon.

another news they changed the dates for the trials. it will be on 27 August for 74, 92 and 97kg. those weights involving junior team members (57 and 70) will be held 2 weeks later on 10 September. and that means no more trials in 5 other weights, Amouzad, Ebadi, Nokhodi, Yazdani and Zare are already selected. but I wonder what they do if for example Ebasi loses in the first round of World Juniors?! still sending him to Norway?

Edited by wrestfan

On 8/9/2021 at 10:47 AM, Shiraz123 said:

And what's your junior team? Who are the good wrestlers? 

57 Figueroa and 61 Mendez have cadet world experience. Figueroa has I think a silver. I like 74 O'Toole & 92 Elam, who happen to be college teammates. 97 Amos will wrestle in both freestyle and Greco. 65 Bartlett and 70 Andonian are also both very dangerous. the whole freestyle team seems pretty strong to me but we'll see.

2 hours ago, wrestfan said:

no name mentioned yet.

in Iran whoever loses in the last minute(s) = by default gassing lol

but I agree with you it wasn't about gassing for all of them. even Zare didn't gas brutally, he still could win the match. personally I believe it was mostly the mental aspect. and lack of proper defense. and also having poor strategies sometimes. I mean nobody expected Ghiasi to do anything in Tokyo but that was "his lucky day" he could win a medal in Tokyo. who the hell told him to attack while his opponent was on the shotclock. Atri looked in complete control for 2 and half minutes against Uguev, why he fell apart like that against the weakest Uguev ever.

I thought they are going to wait until the 2021 Worlds, but it seems we will have a new coach soon.

another news they changed the dates for the trials. it will be on 27 August for 74, 92 and 97kg. those weights involving junior team members (57 and 70) will be held 2 weeks later on 10 September. and that means no more trials in 5 other weights, Amouzad, Ebadi, Nokhodi, Yazdani and Zare are already selected. but I wonder what they do if for example Ebasi loses in the first round of World Juniors?! still sending him to Norway?

Yeah. That's the point. Folks are like we just need a strength and conditioning coach and then we are sorted. I agree that would be good, but it isn't as much a priority as better tacticians, analysts, and sports psychologists. I also wonder if they aren't cutting weight correctly.

I was a massive fan of Khadem. I doubt he will be at the helm again. 

8 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

Yeah. That's the point. Folks are like we just need a strength and conditioning coach and then we are sorted. I agree that would be good, but it isn't as much a priority as better tacticians, analysts, and sports psychologists. I also wonder if they aren't cutting weight correctly.

I was a massive fan of Khadem. I doubt he will be at the helm again. 

All and all, Rasul Khadem was not perfect, but probably the best coach we have had in a long time.

I wonder if it would helpful to do what the US did, which was allow each wrestler to have their personal coach along side the mat with them

some websites claim these 4 guys are the main candidates for freestyle head coach postision

Pejman Dorostkar
Majid Torkan
Alireza Rezaei
Mohsen Kaveh

my first reaction, can we please keep Mohammadi? lol

at least Amin Taheri will be happy if his brother in law takes the top position lol

19 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

some websiteOther s claim these 4 guys are the main candidates for freestyle head coach postision

Pejman Dorostkar
Majid Torkan
Alireza Rezaei
Mohsen Kaveh

my first reaction, can we please keep Mohammadi? lol

at least Amin Taheri will be happy if his brother in law takes the top position lol

Other than Alireza Rezaie, I do not know much about the others and their coaching credentials.  I know Kaveh has been in management of wrestling for years

Can you please share what you know about them?

I was pleasantly surprised to read that Bana will stay on as the GR coach.  I always assumed he would retire after the Olympics.

@wrestfan, if you had your wish, who would be the candidates for the FS wrestling coach?

Edited by irani

14 minutes ago, irani said:

I was pleasantly surprised to read that Bana will stay on as the GR coach.  I always assumed he would retire after the Olympics.

@wrestfan, if you had your wish, who would be the candidates for the FS wrestling coach?

to be honest I have no idea. there are not much good options left.

btw Dabir is guest in a TV show right now. lots of interesting points I will post the whole interview later (hopefully) he says nothing is final and in next couple of days he will talk to Mohammadi about this. but he was clearly upset about the freestyle team preparations. he praised Bana once again.

I will write about the rest of interview about wrestlers individually when I post the video. but he said the Olympic final was the best match of Yazdani's career. (or something like that)

2 hours ago, wrestfan said:

to be honest I have no idea. there are not much good options left.

btw Dabir is guest in a TV show right now. lots of interesting points I will post the whole interview later (hopefully) he says nothing is final and in next couple of days he will talk to Mohammadi about this. but he was clearly upset about the freestyle team preparations. he praised Bana once again.

I will write about the rest of interview about wrestlers individually when I post the video. but he said the Olympic final was the best match of Yazdani's career. (or something like that)

Will he grateful for you to post with cliff notes. I missed it.

This is the whole show, almost 2 hours, the host was stupid and had no idea about wrestling, and that so-called wrestling expert later came online and ask some questions also talked nonsense. for whatever reason most wrestling journalists in Iran hate Bana (probably because he never listens to their nonsense) and try every opportunity to blame him.

https://www.telewebion.com/episode/2632219

I watched it live yesterday, these are his important points as far as I remember

* he praised Bana, giving him 9 out of 10. while he thanked Mohammadi and tried to defend him sometimes it was very clear that he is upset about freestyle team's performance, specially their conditioning.
* he said those 4 guys mentioned earlier plus Gholam Mohammadi himself and Mohammad Hassan Mohebbi are his candidates for the freestyle head coach. but nothing is decided yet. they may even continue with Mohammadi (to me highly unlikely)
* while some "experts" blame Yazdani's strategy against Taylor (our expert oldman even said Yazdani can beat Taylor without a coach lol) Dabir defended that strategy and said that was the best match of Yazdani. you should not touch Taylor's leg, that's his trap. just score pushouts, never lower your guard. and according to Dabir, Yazdani had everything under control just made two mistakes in the whole match leading to Taylor scoring two takedowns. he said Yazdani lost the match because he thought the match is done.
* Dabir also blamed the past strategy of making everybody wrestles like Yazdani! he said you can't wrestle the same strategy against everybody. don't even dream about making American wrestlers gas that will never happen!
* he also talked about the huge pressure on Yazdani, after his not-so-good performance in semifinal against Naifonov that Yazdani was very worried and nervous "what if I lose ..." he also said after the defeat he had stay up until 2 am talking to Yazdani, ,making him calm.
* interestingly he said among all 11 freestyle and Greco wrestles they would considered Hadi Saravi as our best chance for the Olympic gold! and he is still upset about how Saravi lost the semifinal in a very cheap way.
* he also said R. Geraei and Zare were extremely relaxed before their matches unlike the rest of wrestlers. Geraei was even watching bronze medal matches before going to the mat for his own final!
* he said he believes the freestyle team had this potential to win 2 gold medals by Yazdani and Zare. and Zare will regret losing his semifinal when he gets older. according to Dabir, Zare was the only one "capable" of beating Steveson.

he talked about all Greco guys in details, but since the host was stupid , they jumped from this to that. he didn't say anything special about Mohammadian. (I would like to know his opinion) but he said even before the tournament they knew in freestyle they have 3 realistic medal chances and didn't count much on 3 lower weights.

Edited by wrestfan

3 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Lol, who said that? That Feiz guy they brought on? I watched most of it but have missed that part.

yep him, something like send Yazdani to Norway, let him wrestle his own attacking style without a coach, he will beat Taylor.

that's why I never take wrestling "experts" in Iran seriously.

15 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

yep him, something like send Yazdani to Norway, let him wrestle his own attacking style without a coach, he will beat Taylor.

that's why I never take wrestling "experts" in Iran seriously.

Why is everyone involved in Iranian wrestling  delusional regarding this match?  If i'm not wrong even Dabir said on this program that Yazdani is 5 - 6 points better than Taylor. Even Moslemi reappered to say he would fly with Yazdani to Taylor's home and with his coaching beat Taylor multiple times, lol. 

18 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Why is everyone involved in Iranian wrestling  delusional regarding this match?  If i'm not wrong even Dabir said on this program that Yazdani is 5 - 6 points better than Taylor. Even Moslemi reappered to say he would fly with Yazdani to Taylor's home and with his coaching beat Taylor multiple times, lol. 

I think there are 2 main different categories. Those who don't really know wrestling and just wish/feel Yaz can destroy everyone and have an ignorant viewpoint or base it more on emotion. But also those that probably see that Yaz definitely is more than capable of beating Taylor but that it is a very difficult matchup and needs the right modifications in order to do so. I am in the latter but there are loads in the former.

Give moslemi more of a role in the coaching though for Yaz. What's the harm. He knows him well from childhood