wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

33 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

I think there are 2 main different categories. Those who don't really know wrestling and just wish/feel Yaz can destroy everyone and have an ignorant viewpoint or base it more on emotion. But also those that probably see that Yaz definitely is more than capable of beating Taylor but that it is a very difficult matchup and needs the right modifications in order to do so. I am in the latter but there are loads in the former.

Give moslemi more of a role in the coaching though for Yaz. What's the harm. He knows him well from childhood

I agree Yazdani can beat Taylor, I definitely don't think that Yazdani's better than Taylor though unless we are talking about entire career perspective. If they wrestle 10 times Yazdani wins some. Not as many as Taylor wins, but I do think he wins a minority of the matches if he follows the same strategy he had in Tokyo. And Dabir is completely right, it was the perfect strategy for Yazdani's skillset. But to say he's 5 points better or some of the other stuff I heard from Iranian coaches/wrestlers and stuff like Yazdani is better technically than Taylor. To be honest these guys themselves sound like random fans with some of the stuff they say.

And I agree, I would make a change where wrestler can choose their coach. It's better than having someone like Mohebi who's own son has 0 technical ability being the head coach. If Yazdani wants Moslemi to be his coach at worlds he should be allowed that. I'm sure it won't make a difference and i'm not even sure Yazdani himself wants that but they should be allowed that. 

48 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

fascinating! as always I appreciate the posters on this thread for allowing so many others to glimpse inside the Iranian wrestling community! 

Thank you!

15 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

I agree Yazdani can beat Taylor, I definitely don't think that Yazdani's better than Taylor though unless we are talking about entire career perspective. If they wrestle 10 times Yazdani wins some. Not as many as Taylor wins, but I do think he wins a minority of the matches if he follows the same strategy he had in Tokyo. And Dabir is completely right, it was the perfect strategy for Yazdani's skillset. But to say he's 5 points better or some of the other stuff I heard from Iranian coaches/wrestlers and stuff like Yazdani is better technically than Taylor. To be honest these guys themselves sound like random fans with some of the stuff they say.

And I agree, I would make a change where wrestler can choose their coach. It's better than having someone like Mohebi who's own son has 0 technical ability being the head coach. If Yazdani wants Moslemi to be his coach at worlds he should be allowed that. I'm sure it won't make a difference and i'm not even sure Yazdani himself wants that but they should be allowed that. 

I don't know if he actually believes that or is just not articulating himself well with the 5 point thing. I don't actually think the gameplan was perfect. My perfect gameplan would have been to at least get a takedown to have a 3 or so point lead on top of the pushouts and stuff and then do what he was doing. Easier said than done, but it can be done and he should have at least tried! I would have been satisfied if he ag least tried once even if he was unsuccessful, but he didn't, if he timed that one opportunity we could maybe have had a double olympic champ. This is what I was saying pre match too.

Who knows maybe Moslemi has the solution, he sure sounds confident enough lol. And if Yaz wants yeah let him make it happen.

I hope he rests and skips Norway.

Also not a big fan of Dabir talking in absolutes. "America have the best conditioning so let's forget about making them tired." I mean, it isn't natural, they train hard for that and a proper good s&c programme could make Iran the same alongside nutrition and also the mental side. To be honest I would rather more is invested from a psychology point of view but I won't get into that here.

4 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

I don't know what Dabir thinks deep down but he has to give confidence to his best freestyle wrestler, but during that show he said few times that Yazdani was not in a good shape at the Olympics, (unlike when they wrestled in 2018 and Yazdani was physically ready but still gassed and lost) so it seems he believes if a not-prepared Yazdani can lead Taylor for almost the entire match (except the last 20 seconds) a prepared Yazdani is probably 4-5 pts better than him! (I just tried to explain his point of view, not necessarily mine, people sometimes forget that Taylor will also make some adjustments next time they wrestle)

and not that it makes a huge difference, but Yadollah (and his brother Arashk) is nephew of both famous Mohebbi brothers, his dad Kazem wasn't a notable wrestler and he picked up wrestling very late when he was 18 or 19. probably too late to teach him any technical lesson, he is just using his natural power and his big body.

and about Moslemi, if you watch him talking for 30 seconds, you won't take him serious at all. I thank him for coaching Yazdani when he was a kid but that's it.

Edited by wrestfan

so let's discuss the candidates.

• Mohebi -  I am not sure if he has any coaching experience at very high levels, but based on the performance of his younger relatives, I would disqualify him.  I assume the was coaching them
  • Mohsen Kaveh -  He has been part of the establishment for a long time. If he could add value, he would do it by now
  • Pejman Doroskar -  I actually like giving him a shot.  He has done well coaching at the club level.  I do not know how he performed the one year he was in charge of the youth team, but at least he has that experience.  He lived in Germany for while, and wrestled in the German league, so I like the fact that he has real life experience interacting with people outside of Iran
  • Majid Torkan - Good wrestler, does he even have any coaching experience at high levels?
  • Gholam Mohammadi -  Another solid choice with good credentials at the highest level, probably my second choice
  • Ali Reza Rezaie -  Seems like he has been an assistant coach for Iran forever, I am not sure he has done anything to justify elevating him to the head coach status

3 hours ago, wrestfan said:

and not that it makes a huge difference, but Yadollah (and his brother Arashk) is nephew of both famous Mohebbi brothers, his dad Kazem wasn't a notable wrestler and he picked up wrestling very late when he was 18 or 19. probably too late to teach him any technical lesson, he is just using his natural power and his big body.

You're right it's his uncle, lol. To be honest I don't think they are even considering him. If I remember right the presenter was pressuring him to give a name during that part and Dabir just said something. Could be wrong but that's what it seemed like to me. I highly doubt Mohebi can be the head coach. Seeing these names, I would just keep Mohammadi. But no more weird trial procedure. Just do a straight trial and allow wrestlers choice of a coach. I know this will most likely never happen but that is what I would do. They went through all that trouble to get Mohammadian on the team and he did that. This won't fix the results it will just create a better atmosphere around wrestling in Iran in my opinion. 

I don't think they can fix much more beyond that in the next few years, no matter who the coach is. I see us being well behind going into Paris. That is a very strong American team, Russia is very good everywhere except HW. I don't see a coach fixing that. Perhaps the best thing for now is to not cause too many hurt feelings and drama with a bizarre team selection process. 

Edited by Shiraz123

21 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

I don't think they can fix much more beyond that in the next few years, no matter who the coach is. I see us being well behind going into Paris. That is a very strong American team, Russia is very good everywhere except HW. I don't see a coach fixing that. Perhaps the best thing for now is to not cause too many hurt feelings and drama with a bizarre team selection process. 

Paris is 3 years away.  In three years a great coach can

• Turn Amouzad into a viable gold Medal contender in 65
  • Continue to work with Yazdani to make him the favorite against Taylor
  • Continue to develop Za-Re so he is a gold medal contender
  • Turn one of our promising youngsters into a contender in 57
  • Pull something out of his Ass so we have a shot a a medal at 74

Amouzad is OK but from what I have seen I don't expect that of him at all no matter who the coach is.

Interesting thing about Amouzad actually, the kid he beat in the 2019 cadet world final at 48kg is still wrestling cadets and just won cadet worlds last month at 60kg. Meaning he was around 15 when he wrestled 17 year old Amouzad in that strange 4 - 4 match for the cadet world gold.

And 86 will most likely depend on if Taylor declines significantly or not. At his age is certainly possible. I doubt either him or Yazdani will improve significantly considering their age. 

1 hour ago, Shiraz123 said:

Amouzad is OK but from what I have seen I don't expect that of him at all no matter who the coach is.

Interesting thing about Amouzad actually, the kid he beat in the 2019 cadet world final at 48kg is still wrestling cadets and just won cadet worlds last month at 60kg. Meaning he was around 15 when he wrestled 17 year old Amouzad in that strange 4 - 4 match for the cadet world gold.

And 86 will most likely depend on if Taylor declines significantly or not. At his age is certainly possible. I doubt either him or Yazdani will improve significantly considering their age. 

So it makes no difference who the coach is?

3 hours ago, irani said:

So it makes no difference who the coach is?

The coach matters, although I think we need to put more blame on some of the original coaches of these wrestlers for their poor results when they get to seniors instead of putting it all on the head coach of the senior team.

But I am still optimistic. I think if we get the right coaching staff, get better at analysing foreign wrestlers, have a better trial procedure, bring in world class strength and conditioning experts  and develop our young talents better into seniors. If we do all of that, I think we can definitely get 3 bronze medals in Paris 2024.  

3 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

But I am still optimistic. I think if we get the right coaching staff, get better at analysing foreign wrestlers, have a better trial procedure, bring in world class strength and conditioning experts  and develop our young talents better into seniors. If we do all of that, I think we can definitely get 3 bronze medals in Paris 2024.  

I have to agree that based on your history, you are being unusually optimistic :)

31 minutes ago, steen-hooph said:

What if they brought in an American coach. Lol, this thread would instantly go to 200 pages.

It would never happen!

however, I , did one, would love to see an American snd Russian coach on the staff

Iran has used foreign coaches for soccer and volleyball fir decades.  The goalkeeper coach for the soccer team was in fact American.

But wrestling is different, Iran would have to admit that it has fallen behind US and Russia, and while thar is true,  admitting it is a different story.

Just now, Shiraz123 said:

Goleij vs Shabani. Predictions? Who wins? 

Do you know the time and date?  I am more interested in watching the 92 Kg, where there are some great wrestlers.

19 minutes ago, irani said:

Do you know the time and date?  I am more interested in watching the 92 Kg, where there are some great wrestlers.

another news they changed the dates for the trials. it will be on 27 August for 74, 92 and 97kg. those weights involving junior team members (57 and 70) will be held 2 weeks later on 10 September. and that means no more trials in 5 other weights, Amouzad, Ebadi, Nokhodi, Yazdani and Zare are already selected. but I wonder what they do if for example Ebasi loses in the first round of World Juniors?! still sending him to Norway?

2 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

Was really surprised Mohammadian lost pretty badly to Odikadze. What are your thoughts on his performance?

The kindest thing I have say is that he peaked at the wrong time.  Two years ago he looked like a world beater

He struggled to qualify for the national team, and then disappointed badly in the Olympics.  Mohammadian of 21 is not the same as Mohammadian of 2019

6 hours ago, irani said:

The kindest thing I have say is that he peaked at the wrong time.  Two years ago he looked like a world beater

He struggled to qualify for the national team, and then disappointed badly in the Olympics.  Mohammadian of 21 is not the same as Mohammadian of 2019

It’s strange as a year and a half shouldn’t make a significant difference. But somehow it managed to make a huge difference for Mohammadian. At that tournament where he beat Snyder. He was on fire and on a mission, I literally felt that Mohammadian would have given Sadulaev a run for the Gold. But instead it only took 18 months approximately for Mohammadian to slow down and not be anywhere close to where he was at that tournament in 2020.