wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

Gholizadegan (18 yo) loses his QF match 6-5 (losing 5-5 on criteria then loses last sec challenge) against the most annoying and whiniest Armenian of all time (20 yo). 

Gholizadegan deserved to win. 

Edited by The Genius

3 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Gholizadegan (18 yo) loses his QF match 6-5 (losing 5-5 on criteria then loses last sec challenge) against the most annoying and whiniest Armenian of all time (20 yo). 

Gholizadegan deserved to win. 

actually the refs won the match, not the Armenian

never saw this amount of dubious calls in one match! plus 10 minutes delay for one challenge, the whole match took something like 20-25 minutes. they gave lots of time to Armenian to rest.

that was one of the UWW's finest officiating jobs

wooooooooow. I rewinded it to be sure it was on time as I was watching live, when I saw it I relaxed and thought they would give us the point upon challenging. And yeah the match lasted 12 years because of challenges. Basically every decision they could make against him they did. He had a takedown in the last 20 seconds but they didn't give it cause of fingers, the clash of heads, the pushout. 

Unfortunately that was the guy I was most looking forward to seeing on day 1. 65 and 70 are not interesting wrestlers. 

Edited by Shiraz123

Elahi beats the Kazakh 4-0 in the QF and is in the SF. Underhook-pushout game was strong, did not see him go for a single leg attack, lol. 

That makes it 4/5 of our first day wrestlers in the SF (Gholizadegan being robbed of his place in the SF) - everything going very well so far. 

We still have Amouzad and Firouzpour to come tomorrow too. 

Looking at the bracket from Euro juniors to assess Gholizadegan's chances of being pulled back, the Armenian wrestler was second in Euro juniors this year but his path to the final was Greece, Italy and then Switzerland (he teched his way through them). The Turk he has to wrestle in today's semifinal came 5th at the same tournament, but he had a much harder bracket. Both of them seem to have lost to Russia's backup junior 57 pretty badly, Armenian lost 8 - 2 and Turk got teched. So not sure, maybe Armenian is a slight favourite? 

Edited by Shiraz123

Ebadi at 65kg lost the SF match v Mamedov (RUS) 14-8. 

That match was an almost comical case study of the limits of push outs. I think Ebadi got 6 push out points and one TD from a push out. The Russian was better, but Ebadi was competitive and if he was capable of leg attacks he maybe could have won (story of Iranian wrestling lol).

24 minutes ago, The Genius said:

The Armenian that beat Gholizadegan lost 4-8 to the Turk so Gholizadegan is out. He will have to go through the trials to take part in Oslo Worlds now (if he medalled he would have been automatically selected). 

Junior world medalists automatically make the senior team?

Just now, The Genius said:

Ebadi at 65kg lost the SF match v Mamedov (RUS) 14-8. 

That match was an almost comical case study of the limits of push outs. I think Ebadi got 6 push out points and one TD from a push out. The Russian was better, but Ebadi was competitive and if he was capable of leg attacks he maybe could have won (story of Iranian wrestling lol).

I was pretty impressed with Ebadi. That russian is excellent and Evadi was very competitive. 

1 minute ago, Housebuye said:

Not for all of them of course, it depends on previous trial/competition results. 

Ebadi Nokhodi and Amouzad will be going to seniors even if they don't medal here. Gholizadegan will go if he medals. Elahi will win the right to wrestle Maghsoudi if he wins gold. Etc.

How can you be wrestling 65kg (probably most competitive weight in the world) and all you can do is underhook pushing. This is why I can't blame senior head coach too much, this is the type of wrestlers the original coaches are giving them to work with. He did what he could with his terrible style and made it somewhat close but you can't wrestle like that.

4 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

In some weights for this year, yes. 

11 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Not for all of them of course, it depends on previous trial/competition results. 

Ebadi Nokhodi and Amouzad will be going to seniors even if they don't medal here. Gholizadegan will go if he medals. Elahi will win the right to wrestle Maghsoudi if he wins gold. Etc.

Thanks. Makes sense. I try ink worlds will be weaker this year as many Olympians sit out. I hope one of these juniors medals for Iran. That would be fun

3 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

This Moldova guy is pretty good. Is he a native Moldovan? Do they have good wrestling? He has some technical issues, but the talent is there

They have a decent guy every now and then at the junior level. They beat us at this weight last junior worlds I think.

the Indian was pretty good actually. I'm surprised how Nokhodi relatively easily beat him and yes he beat Russia in previous round

he also finished 5th in 2020 Senior World Cup and also won an Asian Championships Silver medal in 2020

Nokhodi wasn't "nokhodi" today. (Nokhodi = someone you don't take serious)

This 97kg match is fun. Lot of action. Iran almost got pinned with a double overhook throw. But Iran came back almost pinned Turkey a few times. Both look like they left it all out at end of the first lol.