wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

On 8/16/2021 at 3:39 PM, Uwwdoc said:

Don't really know him. He does this kinda stuff before? That was awful.

There was a French documentary about wrestling in Iran in 2016 and he was featured -probably as he was a promising  wrestler in Tehran available to the filing crew.

Here is the link- With  Persian or French  it should be fine to follow....

So we have a bit more clarity on the Oslo team now

57: Ali Gholizadegan will face Alireza Sarlak

61: Rahman Amouzad is already selected

65: Hassan Ebadi is supposed to go on Paper.  I hope they will do some of kind trial, perhaps give younger Yazdani a third chane

70Amir Hossein Maghsoudi will wrestle off Erfan Elahi 

74: there will be trials between Younes Emami and Sadegh Firouzpour 

79: Mohammad Nokhodi is going

86: Hassan Yazdani is going

92: Javad Ebrahimi has to wrestle Alireza Karimi first and the winner will face Kamran Ghasempour for the world team spot. if Ghasempour goes to 86kg. it will be just between Karimi and Ebrahimi

97:  trials between Ali Shabani and Mojtaba Goleij

125:Amir Hossein Zare  is going

so trials in 57, 70, 74, 92, and 97, and we hope in 65

61, 79, 86 and 125 are all set.  65 is set on paper, but we hope they will reconsider

No Yazdani won't wrestle 65 again. I would have given him a chance to wrestle 70 to at least thank him for qualifying the weight but that didn't happen.

If I was them, and I know they are allergic to this in Iran, I would host a full trial tournament at 65. Big bracket, like 20 guys or more. Who ever wins goes to worlds.  

3 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

No Yazdani won't wrestle 65 again. I would have given him a chance to wrestle 70 to at least thank him for qualifying the weight but that didn't happen.

If I was them, and I know they are allergic to this in Iran, I would host a full trial tournament at 65. Big bracket, like 20 guys or more. Who ever wins goes to worlds.  

I like your idea, but as you said it will not happen.

The truth is, I don't really care who we send to Oslo in 65, my hopes are with Amouzad for 65 in Paris

3 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Yeah absolutely. The US has Gable and then Parris though, both of whom turned out to be excellent. Parris has wins over our former rep 2 time Bronze Gwiz, and Gable is the best is the world. 

wyatt is good for a high schooler but wouldn’t be top 15 in college even (right now)

Wyatt was the 17 seed at ncaas and went 3-2 and made the blood round...he lost to Gable top side and knocked off mutiple time AA and cadet world finalist Jordan wood in wrestlebacks before dropping a tough one to Hilger in the R12 as a freshman....going into this season I’d say he’s one of the top 10 college heavyweights ...he’s definitely a level or 2 below Parris, Kerk  and Cass but definitely can be a mutiple time AA ...Wyatt was the number 2 guy at his weight in his recruiting class and won senior nationals, Flo NAts and super 32 his senior year

3 hours ago, Housebuye said:

I cannot believe the American almost made the finals. He is good domestically I guess, but he is probably the worst guy on the team. Good for him for almost pulling that off

He’s accomplished more than hawks, Richie Figs and a few other guys on the team but is rather unknown being at Air Force

Edited by Antitroll2828

Question for my Iranian friends....how does your country go about finding the top cadet guys? Do they travel the country and recruit or do they have some type of camp where the athletes try out? Or is it similar to the US and you have a trials type competition? 

7 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Question for my Iranian friends....how does your country go about finding the top cadet guys? Do they travel the country and recruit or do they have some type of camp where the athletes try out? Or is it similar to the US and you have a trials type competition? 

Trials

24 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Wyatt was the 17 seed at ncaas and went 3-2 and made the blood round...he lost to Gable top side and knocked off mutiple time AA and cadet world finalist Jordan wood in wrestlebacks before dropping a tough one to Hilger in the R12 as a freshman....going into this season I’d say he’s one of the top 10 college heavyweights ...he’s definitely a level or 2 below Parris, Kerk  and Cass but definitely can be a mutiple time AA ...Wyatt was the number 2 guy at his weight in his recruiting class and won senior nationals, Flo NAts and super 32 his senior year

He’s accomplished more than hawks, Richie Figs and a few other guys on the team but is rather unknown being at Air Force

I mistyped. Meant top 5. Top 15 is such a random number. I was trying to draw a comparison to making the bronze match but losing. 

After a spectacular first day, Azerbaijan went 0-3 in the finals, losing twice to Iran and once to Russia

At the moment, Iran and Russia have two gold medals each, and USA has one gold

By my count, Iran has 4 more in the finals, USA has 3 more, Russia and Azerbaijan have zero!

12 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Elahi wins Gold at 70kg, Nokhodi wins Gold at 79kg, and Abdollahi wins Bronze at 97kg. Good haul for the first day wrestlers. 

Let's hope that tomorrow is even better. 

Elahi is fun to watch and a bit of a character on the mat. I’m a fan

8 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Elahi is fun to watch and a bit of a character on the mat. I’m a fan

The guy he beat in the final is the 2021 U23 European Champ and Junior European Champ and 2019 Cadet World Champ, I didn't expect Elahi (2019 Cadet Silver) to win to be honest. 

Finals tomorrow:

Amouzad at 61kg (2x Cadet World Champion) defeated Poland (10-0), Azerbaijan (12-2) and Russia (FALL) so far. He wrestles India in the final.

Firouzpour at 86kg (2019 Cadet World Champion) defeated a German senior wrestler (11-6), Russia (9-4) and Georgia (14-4) so far. He wrestles a Russian wrestling for France in the final.

Hajilou at 92kg defeated Turkey (10-0), Armenia (10-0) and South Africa (10-0) so far. He wrestles America in the final. 

Akbarpour at 125kg defeated KGZ (12-2), Russia (6-3) and America (8-5). He wrestles Armenia in the final.

Iran is guaranteed 7 medals overall. I really hope Amouzad and Hajilou win Gold tomorrow. This could be a break out tournament for Hajilou, he has looked incredible and I'm very excited. (Now I say this he will probably get teched by Rocky Elam.)

5 hours ago, irani said:

So we have a bit more clarity on the Oslo team now

57: Ali Gholizadegan will face Alireza Sarlak

61: Rahman Amouzad is already selected

65: Hassan Ebadi is supposed to go on Paper.  I hope they will do some of kind trial, perhaps give younger Yazdani a third chane

70Amir Hossein Maghsoudi will wrestle off Erfan Elahi 

74: there will be trials between Younes Emami and Sadegh Firouzpour 

79: Mohammad Nokhodi is going

86: Hassan Yazdani is going

92: Javad Ebrahimi has to wrestle Alireza Karimi first and the winner will face Kamran Ghasempour for the world team spot. if Ghasempour goes to 86kg. it will be just between Karimi and Ebrahimi

97:  trials between Ali Shabani and Mojtaba Goleij

125:Amir Hossein Zare  is going

so trials in 57, 70, 74, 92, and 97, and we hope in 65

61, 79, 86 and 125 are all set.  65 is set on paper, but we hope they will reconsider

Ebadi goes without even medalling? I like the mass trial idea but it won't happen. Mini Yaz ain't going. Surely someone else should go

What was Gadzhiev's problem? Stepped to him and stamped on the mat at the end of the first period (Elahi didn't even look lool) then charged at Elahi and grabbed him after the end of the match loool 

Edited by The Genius

23 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

Ebadi goes without even medalling? I like the mass trial idea but it won't happen. Mini Yaz ain't going. Surely someone else should go

That was the idea before the event.  They said Amouzad, Ebadi and Nokhodi will go to seniors regardless of the outcome in the juniors.

Amouzad and Nokhodi validated their respective decisions, Ebadi, not so much.

I understand and agree with the spirit of the decision for those three guys.  they are saying, look, we don't have any seniors who are capable of medaling, let's give the junior guys a chance, they will gain valuable experience, and in case of Amouzad, might actually medal.  However, Ebadi is not ready, he will lose one or two matches at the senior level and if anything get discouraged.

6 minutes ago, irani said:

That was the idea before the event.  They said Amouzad, Ebadi and Nokhodi will go to seniors regardless of the outcome in the juniors.

Amouzad and Nokhodi validated their respective decisions, Ebadi, not so much.

I understand and agree with the spirit of the decision for those three guys.  they are saying, look, we don't have any seniors who are capable of medaling, let's give the junior guys a chance, they will gain valuable experience, and in case of Amouzad, might actually medal.  However, Ebadi is not ready, he will lose one or two matches at the senior level and if anything get discouraged.

Great to give the junior stars a chance. Such as champs like amouzad and nokhodi. But if you are not medalling at juniors then probably not the best to go to senior worlds in a month. 

I wouldn't be surprised if all Iran finalists win gold tomorrow. Looking strong

Edited by Uwwdoc

Just now, Uwwdoc said:

Great to give the junior stars a chance. Such as champs like amouzad and nokhodi. But if you are not medalling at juniors then probably not the best to to senior worlds in a month. 

Yup, no argument here.

Just now, irani said:

Yup, no argument here.

It's not even just champs or medalists, but any junior who showed us something.  Gholizadegan did not medal, but his performance was not terrible, and I fully support giving him a shot to wrestle off Sarlak for a shot to go to seniors

6 minutes ago, irani said:

It's not even just champs or medalists, but any junior who showed us something.  Gholizadegan did not medal, but his performance was not terrible, and I fully support giving him a shot to wrestle off Sarlak for a shot to go to seniors

I wouldn't even mind if he went straight cause he has a much higher ceiling than Sarlak

Just now, Uwwdoc said:

I wouldn't even mind if he went straight cause he has a much higher ceiling than Sarlak

Again we agree, but I kind of like to see how he will do against Sarlak

I'll be there in Oslo so will be good to see how some of these young guns do live. Reckon Zare has a good shot at gold with no Gable and Akgul. Dunno if geno is going.

Still not sure if Yaz will go for sure.