wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

3 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

LOL you weren't impressed with Nokhodi of all people? I thought he looked very good especially by his standards. Now I am thinking his previous performances may have been a weight cutting thing.

Elahi isn't wrestling Emami, he is wrestling Maghsoudi at 70kg. I agree he is mostly a pushout guy and i'm not overly confident he will be a good senior, but he does have some other stuff (watch his match against America) 

Based on the last two minutes of the finals only, I did not see anything impressive from Nokhodi.  To be fair, he had the lead and was trying to protect his lead.  

Thanks for correcting me on Elahi.  Of all the wrestlers I have seen so far in this tournament, I am least impressed with him

I will watch the other finals matches tonight, and share my un-expert opinion later

2 minutes ago, irani said:

Based on the last two minutes of the finals only, I did not see anything impressive from Nokhodi.  To be fair, he had the lead and was trying to protect his lead.  

Thanks for correcting me on Elahi.  Of all the wrestlers I have seen so far in this tournament, I am least impressed with him

I will watch the other finals matches tonight, and share my un-expert opinion later

All of them? What about the guy at 65? 

I think it was good. Main thing is most of them seemed happy and full of energy, unlike the Olympic team. Was nice to see Firouzpour laughing as he came to that mat for his 86kg final, Akbarpour does that funny power walk also.

I don't know the details obviously but I read on a few instagram pages that are reliable that due to covid they spent less time in these long training camps (the ones the senior world team does) and more time training in their own towns. 

Overall a strong performance, I hope Gholizadegan makes the senior team. Amouzad was definitely improved. 65 guy was bad, wrestles like a HW with the pushing but he's at 65, lol. Elahi was pretty good to me despite his limitations. 74 weak as is tradition. I thought Nokhodi did very well. He won't get the chance to prove it cause he can't make the Iran team but Firouzpour would medal at 86kg seniors I am sure (unless he gets Taylor and Naifanov in his bracket). he is better than guys like Amine and the rest even right now. 92kg had a fun style at least even though I def overrated him. Didn't know about his prior results either until @wrestfan said. Abdollahi at 97 did about as expected. Heavyweight guy should wrestle off with Foroutan for the U23 spot. I assume Foroutan beats him but we'll see, he seems to be able to pull out the results. 

Nokhodi and Abdollahi are no longer juniors. Amouzad, Firouzpour, Elahi, Gholizadegan still have 1 more year of juniors. Not sure about the rest. 

I watched the remaining gold medal matches

Here are my reviews

• Amouzad -
    • He is the real deal, and only 20
    • Definitely our future at 65Kg, assuming he continue to fill out
    • His opponent was really tough
    • Amouzad  showed patience while behind most of the match, and did not panic
    • India wins the award for the ugliest singlets
  • Firozpour
    • Better than I thought based on what I read on this board
    • He actually wrestled, it was not all push outs
    • His opponent seemed easy
    • Firouzpour seems really really physically strong, he got two takes downs by just throwing his opponent down
  • Hajilouian
    • Was too cautious and defensive
    • ashame to lose in the last few seconds like that
    • If he continues to improve, he might have potential
  • Akbarpour
    • Nice to see an Iranian wrestler pull one out of their ass in the last few seconds and win for a change
    • He is grossly overweight, they need to put him on a nutrition and exercise program, he can probably go down to 97 and have a better shot there, if he loses lots of weight

they invited a group of wrestlers to the national camp. first list for Dorostkar as head coach, it seems Sadegh Goudarzi and Ehsan Amini are his assistants.

those who named last are mostly youngsters invited as training partners, don't be surprised if they are unknown for you guys

57: Sarlak, Gholizadegan, Veisi, Javan
61: Amouzad, Dastan, Nemati, Shakeri
65: A.Yazdani, Ebadi, Mahmoudjanloo
70: Maghsoudi, Elahi, Esmaeilnejad
74: Emami, S.Firouzpour, Yari, Kouchnejad
79: Nokhodi, Zarinpeykar
86: H.Yazdani, A.Firouzpour
92: Ghasempour, Karimi, Ebrahimi, Hajiloueian
97: Shaabani, Goleij, Abdollahi
125: Zare, Foroutan, Akbarpour

having Amir Mohammad Yazdani in this list means he is the first candidate to make the world team. Mahmoudjanloo who was supposed to make the junior team (but lost the extra trials to Ebadi) is there too. it will be between these 3 guys. still we don't know with trials or not.

2 hours ago, wrestfan said:

they invited a group of wrestlers to the national camp. first list for Dorostkar as head coach, it seems Sadegh Goudarzi and Ehsan Amini are his assistants.

those who named last are mostly youngsters invited as training partners, don't be surprised if they are unknown for you guys

having Amir Mohammad Yazdani in this list means he is the first candidate to make the world team. Mahmoudjanloo who was supposed to make the junior team (but lost the extra trials to Ebadi) is there too. it will be between these 3 guys. still we don't know with trials or not.

Very interesting.  So do you think they decided against the original idea of Ebadi being the 65 Kg guy?  I have bolded the ones that I believe are already selected, please correct me if I am wrong

Edited by irani

25 minutes ago, irani said:

Very interesting.  So do you think they decided against the original idea of Ebadi being the 65 Kg guy?

Yes I believe so and I highly doubt anybody complains.

nothing is officially announced yet but yeah I think those guys in bold are already selected.

We will have trials at 74, 92 and 97 on 27 August. 57 and 70 (and maybe 65) on 10 September

2 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

We will have trials at 74, 92 and 97 on 27 August. 57 and 70 (and maybe 65) on 10 September

I assume they are doing some of the trials in September to let the junior contenders rest and recover.  If that is the case, 74 should also be in September, no?

1 minute ago, irani said:

I assume they are doing some of the trials in September to let the junior contenders rest and recover.  If that is the case, 74 should also be in September, no?

yes sure

and no, I think you made a mistake here, that's Sadegh Firouzpour. not his brother Amir Hossein who wrestled in Russia yesterday

2 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

yes sure

and no, I think you made a mistake here, that's Sadegh Firouzpour. not his brother Amir Hossein who wrestled in Russia yesterday

You are correct, thanks

GR guys to look out for (GR starts tomorrow):

Dehbozorgi (48kg): 2019 Cadet World Champion, 2019 Cadet Asian Champion

Esmaeili (51kg): 2019 Cadet World Champion, 2019 Cadet Asian Champion

Sohrabi (60kg): 2019 Cadet Asian Silver, 2019 Cadet World 5th place

Naghousi (77kg): returning 2019 Junior World Champion, 2019 Junior Asian Champion

Is 86kg potentially Iran's strongest weight division? If tournaments like worlds and olympics allowed multiple national entries would they feature quite predominantly? Yazdani, Ghasempour, Alireza Karimi, Firouzpour. I reckon a top 3 placing would be 2 of the 4 plus Taylor if multiple entries were allowed.

Just now, Uwwdoc said:

Is 86kg potentially Iran's strongest weight division? If tournaments like worlds and olympics allowed multiple national entries would they feature quite predominantly? Yazdani, Ghasempour, Alireza Karimi, Firouzpour. I reckon a top 3 placing would be 2 of the 4 plus Taylor if multiple entries were allowed.

A tournament with Iran's top 4 vs USA top 4 86 Kg,  would be far more competitive and interesting than the Olympics

5 minutes ago, irani said:

A tournament with Iran's top 4 vs USA top 4 86 Kg,  would be far more competitive and interesting than the Olympics

Hmmm that sounds cool. Wonder who the US 4 would be Taylor, Valencia, Nickal if still active, Dean?  Would be fun. I reckon Iran would come out on top overall

So this is my take for potential of our junior wrestlers to be successful at the senior level

• A (high expectations)
    • Amouzad
  • B (cautious optimism)
    • Golizadeghan
    • Nokhodi
    • Firoozpoor
    • Hajilhoueian
    • Abdolahi
  • C (would be very surprised if they do well)
    • Elahi
    • Akbarpour

I know I put two gold medalists in the last category, and  silver/bronze medalists and non medalist in the second category, but I am basing my opinion not just on the results, but on how they wrestled

Edited by irani

12 minutes ago, The Genius said:

That seems harsh on Elahi and Akbarpour, but generous to Abdollahi. 

I think we can have high expectations for Firouzpour too. 

Perhaps I am generous to Abdolhai, and I also have high expectations of Firouzpour, but Firouzpour has so many talented people ahead of him at the seniors both in 86 and 92

In regards to elahi and akbarpour, Can share a video or describe one wrestling move they performed that gives you hope about their future?

44 minutes ago, irani said:

In regards to elahi and akbarpour, Can share a video or describe one wrestling move they performed that gives you hope about their future?

With regards to Akbarpour when watching his bouts, particularly the final when he was behind I got the impression that he was managing the bout and executing a strategy, so his last second win did not come as a surprise even though he did not wrestle in a spectacular fashion. On the instagram account story of UWW today there is a link to interviews to all the junior free style champions, and what stood out for me in Akbarpours interview was is relative eloquence for his age. I may be wrong but he seems quite intelligent and he may owe his gold medal more to his temperament and wrestling brain than his athleticism or technical ability. Perhaps a good future coach material but that is a couple of stages ahead of the game and of course life happens in between.

The other thing that stood out for me in the interviews was  amouzad's interview-in the way he was quoting hassan Yazdani. Looks like he has a role model to follow. Sometimes its useful to just follow the blue print already laid out...

1 hour ago, irani said:

Can share a video or describe one wrestling move they performed that gives you hope about their future?

Just though the videos of these interviews may be of interest too...