wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

something I didn't notice earlier, based on IAWF's statement it seems AmirMohammad Yazdani wasn't in the original list because they thought he will wrestle at 70kg or 74kg after the Olympics. but he sent them a letter (through his city wrestling organization) that he is still a 65kg wrestler and therefore he will have the same chance as Ali Shaabani and Younes Emami. (those who lost the Olympic trials)

but they said first they have to see his physical situation and his bodyweight before taking any decision.

So this way they simply "justifies" changing their original decision about giving the spot to Yasar Dogu winner (which happened to be Ebadi)

Edited by wrestfan

23 hours ago, The Genius said:

GR guys to look out for (GR starts tomorrow):

Dehbozorgi (48kg): 2019 Cadet World Champion, 2019 Cadet Asian Champion

Esmaeili (51kg): 2019 Cadet World Champion, 2019 Cadet Asian Champion

Sohrabi (60kg): 2019 Cadet Asian Silver, 2019 Cadet World 5th place

Naghousi (77kg): returning 2019 Junior World Champion, 2019 Junior Asian Champion

after day 1 GR we have 1 finalist (Dehbozorgi), 3 guys in the repechage with a chance for bronze, and 1 guy out. the other 3 guys i mentioned above all wrestle tomorrow.

Edited by The Genius

4 hours ago, The Genius said:

after day 1 GR we have 1 finalist (Dehbozorgi), 3 guys in the repechage with a chance for bronze, and 1 guy out. the other 3 guys i mentioned above all wrestle tomorrow.

Does Dehbozorgi look as good as his credentials?

Who are the GR coaches?

On 8/19/2021 at 10:53 AM, Uwwdoc said:

Hmmm that sounds cool. Wonder who the US 4 would be Taylor, Valencia, Nickal if still active, Dean?  Would be fun. I reckon Iran would come out on top overall

Taylor , Valencia , Ringer and either Hall or Brooks , probably brooks

Day 2 GR

Esmaeili (60kg) defeated Nazaryan (2020 European Senior Champion) in a close first match and some other decent guys (two Cadet World Silver medalists), and is in the final vs Russia.  

Sohrabi (67kg) got teched in the first round by a Kazakh who lost his next match and is out.

Abdi (72kg) lost a close first round match to Russia. Russian dominated his way to the final so Abdi is pulled back into the repechage. Good chance for Bronze. 

Naghousi (82kg) the 2019 Jr World Champion got teched by a Dutchman who got to the final so Naghousi is pulled back into the repechage. He will have to beat Russia for Bronze.

Alghosi (87kg) got teched badly in the SF vs BLR who had pinned everyone on his way to the SF, and will wrestle for Bronze. 

Day 2 summary: 1 finalist, 1 bronze match, 2 repechage, 1 out. 

NB. There are two Dutch Sterkenburg brothers wrestling at 82kg and 87kg and both reached the final! 

Day 1/3 GR

All 3 repechage guys won their matches and will wrestle for Bronze soon (Mohammadi at 63kg, Rezali at 77kg and Bayat at 130kg), alongside Dehbozorgi (55kg) wrestling for gold. 

By the way I was wrong about Sohrabi, he never won anything before. So our top GR prospects here were Dehbozorgi, Esmaeili and Naghousi. The first two reached the final, Naghousi got teched and no one else really impressed. The next tier of guys is probably Abdi, Mohammadi and Bayat, but we'll have to see how they do in their bronze/repechage matches.

Edited by The Genius

1 hour ago, Shiraz123 said:

And Brooks is probably going to be the top guy at the weight in the world by 2024 

I agree...I think it will be tough for brooks to pass Taylor when they are training together and have the same coaches, I think whenever Taylor’s steps away ( or maybe brooks forces him too) that brooks is the next man up 

Mohammadi at 63kg just teched ROU and won Bronze. The Romanian coach wins the award for the dumbest challenge of all time, his guy is down 7-0 and I don't even know what he was challenging but he obviously lost the challenge (which the wrestler didn't even want) and went 8-0 and automatically lost by superiority lol.  Mohammadi teched USA and AZE (and ROU in his bronze match) and only lost to a very strong Russian, a pretty good tournament for him. 

NB. That Russian (Bakaev) quickly teched his opponent in the final and he looks like a future star. 

Dehbozorgi beats Abdullaev 3-1 in the final and WINS GOLD! A good performance from him. He's now a cadet and junior world champion.

Edited by The Genius

Rezali at 77kg beat Egypt 8-4 and wins Bronze. He gave up 1 pt for passivity, Egyptian couldn't gut wrench, Rezali tries a throw but ends up on bottom and almost gets pinned, 3-0 after first period. Rezali gets two push out points, loses a challenge, down 4-2. Gets a late takedown and gut wrenches him twice, wins 8-4. Good win and good performance. 

Bayat at 130kg beats Greece 6-3 and wins Bronze. Nothing to be excited about. I don't think he has any chance to beat Yousofi or Mirzazadeh. 

Overall day 1 GR: 1 Gold (Dehbozorgi), 3 Bronze (Mohammadi, Rezali and Bayat). 4/5 winning a medal is strong but no one really stood out as very impressive or ready for seniors like they have in the past (Mirzazadeh, Saravi etc). 

Edited by The Genius

Looks like Russia has first place secured, and Iran has second place in the grasp

1 hour ago, The Genius said:

Rezali at 77kg beat Egypt 8-4 and wins Bronze. He gave up 1 pt for passivity, Egyptian couldn't gut wrench, Rezali tries a throw but ends up on bottom and almost gets pinned, 3-0 after first period. Rezali gets two push out points, loses a challenge, down 4-2. Gets a late takedown and gut wrenches him twice, wins 8-4. Good win and good performance. 

Bayat at 130kg beats Greece 6-3 and wins Bronze. Nothing to be excited about. I don't think he has any chance to beat Yousofi or Mirzazadeh. 

Overall day 1 GR: 1 Gold (Dehbozorgi), 3 Bronze (Mohammadi, Rezali and Bayat). 4/5 winning a medal is strong but no one really stood out as very impressive or ready for seniors like they have in the past (Mirzazadeh, Saravi etc). 

So Dehbozorgi was not very impressive?

7 hours ago, The Genius said:

Day 2 GR

Esmaeili (60kg) defeated Nazaryan (2020 European Senior Champion) in a close first match and some other decent guys (two Cadet World Silver medalists), and is in the final vs Russia.  

Almost all of Esmaeilli's matches were close.  His opponent, on the other hand, had teched everyone so far with out giving up a point.

Esmaellli's work is cut out for him against the Russian

Iran's Greco team for the 2021 World Championships in Norway

55: will be decided between Sajjad Abbaspour and Amir Reza Dehbozorgi
60: Mehrdad Mardani
63: Meysam Dalkhani
67: Mohammad Reza Geraei
72: Mohammad Reza Mokhtari
77: Mohammad Ali Geraei
82: Pejman Poshtam
87: Ramin Taheri
97: Mohammad Hadi Saravi
130: Amin Mirzazadeh

4 from the Olympic squad including the Olympic Champion Reza Geraei

53 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

why the hell are they still sending Mirzazadeh instead of Yousofi? What is the difference between Mirzazadeh and Nejati? Neither of them medalled at Tokyo and yet here Nejati is automatically not going but Mirzazadeh somehow is still going

30 minutes ago, The Genius said:

why the hell are they still sending Mirzazadeh instead of Yousofi? What is the difference between Mirzazadeh and Nejati? Neither of them medalled at Tokyo and yet here Nejati is automatically not going but Mirzazadeh somehow is still going

I would send Yousefi too but I guess they "claim" Nejati cuts weight and since he was unsuccessful in Tokyo they had a trial between 4 other wrestlers today, Mardani beat the rest.

Alghosa at 97kg wins Bronze. Not impressive and I don't like his conduct after the matches either. 

Overall Iran ends up with 1 Gold, 1 Silver and 5 Bronzes - going 7/10 for medals, which is pretty good for a team title (Iran came 2nd) but really you'd prefer a few dominant Gold guys to general Bronze breadth. 

Edited by The Genius

5 hours ago, wrestfan said:

I would send Yousefi too but I guess they "claim" Nejati cuts weight and since he was unsuccessful in Tokyo they had a trial between 4 other wrestlers today, Mardani beat the rest.

Was there a trial for 130kg GR too? Because the situation is almost identical but it seems Mirzazadeh gets some advantages compared to others. 

That seems overall quite a weak team, maybe 3-4 medal prospects. Although they said they expected Saravi to win gold in Tokyo so who knows what crazy expectations they have. Where is Abdevali? 

36 minutes ago, irani said:

In GR Juniors, Iran ended up with 1 gold, 1 silver, and 3 bronze medals, and second place behind Russia

Actually it's 5 Bronzes unless I'm mistaken (Mohammadi, Rezali, Naghousi, Alghosi and Bayat). Along with Dehbozorgi Gold and Esmaeili Silver. 

Abdi at 72kg won 2 repechage matches but lost his bronze medal match. 

Edited by The Genius

27 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Actually it's 5 Bronzes unless I'm mistaken (Mohammadi, Rezali, Naghousi, Alghosi and Bayat). Along with Dehbozorgi Gold and Esmaeili Silver. 

Abdi at 72kg won 2 repechage matches but lost his bronze medal match. 

I trust you are correct.  I was going by the UWW page https://uww.org/event/world-championships-54?tab=team-rankings&weight-category=43a87983-fda0-11eb-a3ef-080027263834, but it is probably just not updated yet

7 hours ago, wrestfan said:

This news article states that there will be trials for everyone other than Olympic medalists  https://www.khabarvarzeshi.com/news/323122/سیستم-انتخابی-تیم-ملی-کشتی-فرنگی-اعلام-شد-بنا-برنامه-چرخه-انتخابی

I will say that usually when there is a discrepancy between the news and what @wrestfan reports,  @wrestfan ends up being correct

21 minutes ago, irani said:

This news article states that there will be trials for everyone other than Olympic medalists  https://www.khabarvarzeshi.com/news/323122/سیستم-انتخابی-تیم-ملی-کشتی-فرنگی-اعلام-شد-بنا-برنامه-چرخه-انتخابی

I will say that usually when there is a discrepancy between the news and what @wrestfan reports,  @wrestfan ends up being correct

May be these are both correct bits of news but relating to different times-Bana has been having a lot of criticism  so perhaps he had to give in and go for trial for all but the olympic medalist.You would have to have  a bit of ability to compromise to manage a situation like this as the extensive  social media criticism perhaps forced  Bana's hand on the matter...... 

A lot of the greco wrestlers are unhappy from what I read with how the team is being picked for Norway. 

And even Atri is saying he wants to come back . He has no shame he even wants to go to Norway. I'm surprised I thought if he wasn't completely done he would at least be happy to take a break for a bit. He is right about some stuff though like coaches taking away the phones of wrestlers like they are little kids. Some of the olympic champs from other countries were posting on instagram inbetween matches, lol. 

2 hours ago, irani said:

the thing is your source (khabarvarzeshi.com) is usually one day late ! the Greco roster is all over other news websites. most importantly in IAWF's own website.

@The Genius I mean the 130kg trials in Poland. where Mirzazadeh beat Yousefi 3-1. that was for the Olympics though

1 hour ago, wrestfan said:

the thing is your source (khabarvarzeshi.com) is usually one day late ! the Greco roster is all over other news websites. most importantly in IAWF's own website.

@The Genius I mean the 130kg trials in Poland. where Mirzazadeh beat Yousefi 3-1. that was for the Olympics though

Isn't his name Yousofi? Yousefi is the FS cadet isn't it? 

Either way, Mirzazadeh had his chance and failed to medal so if they are consistent they should at least have another trial. But it's okay, Mirzazadeh will probably not medal again and then they will have no choice to send Yousofi next time.

By the time why isn't Abdevali in the team?