wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

55 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Isn't his name Yousofi? Yousefi is the FS cadet isn't it? 

Either way, Mirzazadeh had his chance and failed to medal so if they are consistent they should at least have another trial. But it's okay, Mirzazadeh will probably not medal again and then they will have no choice to send Yousofi next time.

By the time why isn't Abdevali in the team? 

his name is یوسفی you can transliterate it to English as Yousufi or Yousefi . they are both correct. it just depends on who is writing

there is no "next time" this year was unique because of having both Worlds and Olympics. next year will be a different story with a new "trial" system.

as I said I would send Yousefi because they are almost in the same level and he probably deserved a chance too. but having another trials involving Olympic wrestlers was never an option. they still need time to recover.

at least for the coaches Mirzazadeh did OK in Tokyo. nobody expected him (or Yousefi) to beat Lopez and Kayaalp.

about Abdevali, when they invited a group of wrestlers for the first time during COVID, he was in the list but he said no, I'm not coming. he killed his chance there. even though he also once wrestled in the league and he wasn't in a good shape. I remember Bana once said he is not going to invite "this Abdevali" to the camp. he has to improve massively to stands a chance. it seems he didn't. I assume we won't see him on the mat anymore.

btw while I don't like at least 2 of Bana's picks for the worlds (82 and 130) but they had trials for non-Olympic weights. Takhti Cup and Vehbi Emre tournament were their trials. these guys in the teams did good in those 2 events.

7 hours ago, The Genius said:

Isn't his name Yousofi? Yousefi is the FS cadet isn't it? 

Either way, Mirzazadeh had his chance and failed to medal so if they are consistent they should at least have another trial. But it's okay, Mirzazadeh will probably not medal again and then they will have no choice to send Yousofi next time.

By the time why isn't Abdevali in the team? 

Mirzazadeh had the hardest draw possible. Kajaia and Semenov wouldn't have medaled with his draw either. 

Alireza Karimi withdrew from the trials !! so it will be only 6 wrestlers for 3 spots this Friday (start 11am local time)

74: Younes Emami vs Mohammad Sadegh Firouzpour
92: Kamran Ghasempour vs Mohammad Javad Ebrahimi
97: Ali Shabani vs Mojtaba Goleij

they also added something else to the rules, if Emami, Ghasempour and Shabani win the first match they are selected, but if they lose the trials continue with best of 3 format!

Edited by wrestfan

4 hours ago, wrestfan said:

Alireza Karimi withdrew from the trials !! so it will be only 6 wrestlers for 3 spots this Friday (start 11am local time)

74: Younes Emami vs Mohammad Sadegh Firouzpour
92: Kamran Ghasempour vs Mohammad Javad Ebrahimi
97: Ali Shabani vs Mojtaba Goleij

they also added something else to the rules, if Emami, Ghasempour and Shabani win the first match they are selected, but if they lose the trials continue with best of 3 format!

I am SO disappointed to rea that Karimi has dropped out.  I was so hoping to watch him westle Ghassempour.  I wonder why he dropped out, is he injured, not in shape, or just lost confidence?  he is the defending world silver medalist after all

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Without reading back, why no Mohammadian at 97?  Apologies if I spelled his name incorrectly.

Is it due to his performance at Olympics or did he flat out decide he was not competing?

that was part of the "trial" process. with a medal in Tokyo he would go to Norway as well. but since he failed he won't get a second chance this year.

only Yazdani and Zare (exactly those 2 guys who medaled in Tokyo) had this advantage, for the rest it was win a medal in Olympics (and go to the worlds as well) or nothing.

They also changed the date for the remaining trials , it will be held next Friday, on 3 September between these 6 guys with 3kg allowance

57: Alireza Sarlak vs Ali Gholizadegan
65: Amir Mohammad Yazdani vs Kian Mahmoudjanloo
70: Amir Hossein Maghsoudi vs Erfan Elahi

Hassan Ebadi withdrew because of an injury, it will be best of 3 with no advantage for anybody

So 61kg, 86kg, 125kg is set with Rahman, Hassan Yazdani and Zare. Looks like Yaz seems he won't have a break and we will get him and Taylor 4 most likely.

Predictions for other weights:

57kg: Gholizadegan

65kg: Yazdani (3kg will help him a lot)

70kg: Maghsoudi

74kg: Emami

92kg: Ghasempour

97kg: Shabani

Looking forward to the last 3 weights being decided tomorrow. 3 really good bouts. Would have rather seen Kamran face Taylor at 86kg but if he wins then I think him.vs Cox at 92 will be interesting.

On 8/24/2021 at 4:55 PM, irani said:

I am SO disappointed to rea that Karimi has dropped out.  I was so hoping to watch him westle Ghassempour.  I wonder why he dropped out, is he injured, not in shape, or just lost confidence?  he is the defending world silver medalist after all

Would have been great but Karimi has not been training recently and has been in Karbala so that is why, nothing much more to it than that. He will be back to it afterwards.

I didn't realise he actually has a win over Kamran I believe from a few years ago.

Would have been great to have had that mini tournament. But Ebrahimi vs Kamran is still a massive domestic match up. Best one out of all 6 for the trials in my opinion.

8 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

And who was the guy in the yellow shirt in the background cheering for Shabani? Amir Yazdani?

Yes. His brother in law.

Good on Goleij. Didnt expect him to make it 2 in a row against Shabani. He obviously has perfected his style. It's just a shame as I struggle to see him do well against the top guys at the weight, but depending who goes he has a chance of placing.

Shabani was far from his best shape. I don't know why but it seems he wasn't training properly. Goleij didn't even push him too much! he was read to go out of bound.

but at least Kamran managed to beat Ebrahimi, having both Ebrahimi and Goleij in the same team would be a nightmare for me.

a summary of results:
74: Emami beat Firouzpour 4-3
92: Ghasempour lost the first match to Ebrahimi 2-1 but won the next two matches 3-2 and 4-0
97: Goelij beat Shabani twice 3-1 and 3-2

so this is our team for the Worlds so far

57: ?
61: Rahman Amouzad
65: ?
70: ?
74: Younes Emami
79: Mohammad Nokhodi
86: Hassan Yazdani
92: Kamran Ghasempour
97: Mojtaba Goleij
125: Amir Hossein Zare

Goleij should win a medal in my opinion. This  is the last time I will make this prediction if he doesn't but I think any of our 97kg should win a medal at this weight full of old men and not very good  guys like Karadeniz or the Cuban Italian. 

Two matches that I look forward to the most

Yazdani vs Taylor 4

Ghasempour vs Cox

I reckon no matter who goes in the other 3 weights i would expect 61kg and 86kg and above to place. 5 medals would be least expectation. Depends who else shows from the other countries to see how well everyone does. 

3 hours ago, Uwwdoc said:

Two matches that I look forward to the most

Yazdani vs Taylor 4

Ghasempour vs Cox

I reckon no matter who goes in the other 3 weights i would expect 61kg and 86kg and above to place. 5 medals would be least expectation. Depends who else shows from the other countries to see how well everyone does. 

I agree with you, but will Ghassempour really get to go?

I also look forward to the Zare Matches against any top guys if any top guys attend

I also hope someone in 57, 65, 70 or 74 breakout and pleasantly surprises us

34 minutes ago, irani said:

I agree with you, but will Ghassempour really get to go?

I also look forward to the Zare Matches against any top guys if any top guys attend

I also hope someone in 57, 65, 70 or 74 breakout and pleasantly surprises us

I am sure you are looking forward to a Parris rematch, providing Parris can earn the US spot