57 - DNP

61 - Gold

65 - DNP

70 - Bronze

74 - DNP

79 - DNP

86 - Silver

92 - Gold

97 - Silver/Bronze (He can probably beat Russia's B guy if Sadulaev doesn't go,  but Snyder is a terrible match up for him)

125 - Gold,  but I like the way Parris wrestles a lot when I saw him that time at junior worlds, i'll be rooting for him if he makes the American team lol. If Geno shows up then silver.  I assume Akgul definitely isn't going. 

A coupe of bold predictions in 61 and 92.  Of course, given your powers, this means Amouzad and Ghassempour are completed Jinxed now

I just hope your 86 prediction also Jinxes DT, and Yazdani wins. :)

FS:

57kg: DNP

61kg: Bronze

65kg: DNP

70kg: DNP (small chance of Bronze)

74kg: DNP 

79kg: DNP 

86kg: Silver / Bronze (depending on draw)

92kg: Silver / Bronze (depending on draw)

97kg: Bronze

125kg: Gold 

Edited by The Genius

GR:

55kg: DNP (but I hope it is Dehbozorgi and not Abbaspour that goes, maybe small chance at Bronze although he's only 18)

60kg: DNP

63kg: DNP

67kg: Gold (if Borrero isn't going, otherwise Silver / Bronze)

72kg: DNP

77kg: Bronze

82kg: DNP

87kg: DNP

97kg: Silver / Bronze (depending on draw, assuming Evloev is going)

130kg: Bronze 

20 minutes ago, The Genius said:

FS:

61kg: Bronze

70kg: DNP (small chance of Bronze)

74kg: DNP 

79kg: DNP 

86kg: Silver / Bronze (depending on draw)

92kg: Silver / Bronze (depending on draw)

125kg: Gold 

Taylor is seed 1 and Yaz seed 2, so I believe they won't meet before the final, you feel Yaz may not even get to the final?

2 hours ago, The Genius said:

GR:

55kg: DNP (but I hope it is Dehbozorgi and not Abbaspour that goes, maybe small chance at Bronze although he's only 18)

60kg: DNP

63kg: DNP

67kg: Gold (if Borrero isn't going, otherwise Silver / Bronze)

72kg: DNP

77kg: Bronze

82kg: DNP

87kg: DNP

97kg: Silver / Bronze (depending on draw, assuming Evloev is going)

130kg: Bronze 

67 kg: Geraei did win in Tokyo but there is so much more parity at 67 kg than only Borrero stoping him. He could lose to a number of people. The field almost always beats the champions in these lower weights. 67/66/69 kg hasn't had a repeat champion since 2001?  Geraei would need to be a once in a couple decades talent to consistently beat the field. He could win Gold, but he'll need luck. 

130 kg: Absolutely no idea who is going to worlds from 130 kg. . Do I think Amin is among the top 4 in the world? No. Could he medal in a depleted field, not  to mention a depleted field with an easy draw? Yes. 

16 minutes ago, HawkY said:

67 kg: Geraei did win in Tokyo but there is so much more parity at 67 kg than only Borrero stoping him. He could lose to a number of people. The field almost always beats the champions in these lower weights. 67/66/69 kg hasn't had a repeat champion since 2001?  Geraei would need to be a once in a couple decades talent to consistently beat the field. He could win Gold, but he'll need luck. 

130 kg: Absolutely no idea who is going to worlds from 130 kg. . Do I think Amin is among the top 4 in the world? No. Could he medal in a depleted field, not  to mention a depleted field with an easy draw? Yes. 

At 67kg the top guys off the top of my head are Borrero Surkov El-Sayed Stabler Nemes Ryu and Geraei. Surkov looked very bad in Tokyo, El-Sayed should lose to Geraei most times, Stabler has retired I think, Geraei can beat Nemes, Geraei consistently beats Ryu who is quite old now. So I think Geraei has a very good chance to medal and if Borrero isn't there then he has a shot at gold too.

Also 67kg at worlds is weaker than at the Olympics, because at the Olympics you'll get 63kg/72kg guys moving into 67kg whereas they don't need to do that at worlds. 

Edited by The Genius

2 hours ago, Uwwdoc said:

Taylor is seed 1 and Yaz seed 2, so I believe they won't meet before the final, you feel Yaz may not even get to the final?

If that's the case, I change my 86kg prediction to Silver. I don't see him not making the final if he can avoid DT until then.

Edited by The Genius

FS:

61kg: Gold

70kg: DNP

74kg: DNP/bronze depending on draw

79kg: DNP, if good draw perhaps a bronze

86kg: Gold

92kg: Gold

125kg: Gold if Geno isn't there. Silver if he is.

Edited by Uwwdoc

86kg Firouzpour, Foroutan and Veisi are going to Medved next week along with some other  guys. Oh yeah and the guy who beat Amouzad in the junior trials is also going. 

http://iwf.ir/Content/Content.aspx?PageCode=61583&th=

2 of our 3 recent cadet world champs, Masoumi (110kg)  and Khoramdel (51kg), are going to a junior tournament in Latvia the week after, this time in their new weights of 125kg and 57kg of course. The other cadet world champ at 71kg had a surgery which is why he isn't going. Some of the other guys from that cadet team are also going.

http://iwf.ir/Content/Content.aspx?PageCode=61584&th=

Bit of an update. Head coach Gogi of Russia's greco team said that their olympic medalists are NOT going.

So that means no Emelin, Evloev, or Semenov.

Russia is not deep at 130 kg. They have got Zaurabi and Shchur. No world medals or Euro championships  between them. Zaurabi has never won anything Senior level? Just a bronze from an easy draw at euros.  Shchur is big , awkward, and old. He doesn't look like a wrestler. A pot belly and not ripped or massive.  Its like someone took a large middle aged employee from a corporate office and put him in a singlet. He is tough esp defensively . He has hung in there with Riza and Pino. Not that talented though so lots and lots of losses over his career.  There U23 didn't do well either and no one at Juniors is ready. Boost for Iran's chances here.

For 97 kg on paper it should be Sargsyan. He has won three tournaments in a row including Russian champs.  Maybe Nikita will get a shout for being the only one to beat Evloev in forever (teched him even).

Edited by HawkY

23 minutes ago, HawkY said:

Bit of an update. Head coach Gogi of Russia's greco team said that their olympic medalists are NOT going.

So that means no Emelin, Evloev, or Semenov.

Russia is not deep at 130 kg. They have got Zaurabi and Shchur. No world medals or Euro championships  between them. Zaurabi has never won anything Senior level? Just a bronze from an easy draw at euros.  Shchur is big , awkward, and old. He doesn't look like a wrestler. A pot belly and not ripped or massive.  Its like someone took a large middle aged employee from a corporate office and put him in a singlet. He is tough esp defensively . He has hung in there with Riza and Pino. Not that talented though so lots and lots of losses over his career.  There U23 didn't do well either and no one at Juniors is ready. Boost for Iran's chances here.

For 97 kg on paper it should be Sargsyan. He has won three tournaments in a row including Russian champs.  Maybe Nikita will get a shout for being the only one to beat Evloev in forever (teched him even).

@HawkYI really appreciate your great contributions to this thread

10 hours ago, HawkY said:

I saw both of them in Ivanovic tournament in Serbia, Yousefi (who lost Iranian trials to Mirzazadeh) beat both of them quite easily. no way they can win a medal in Norway.

I believe Russia sent almost all of its top wrestlers to Serbia (except Olympic guys) interestingly they won only half of gold medals against 2nd/3rd tier Iranian and Hungarian wrestlers.

Dadmarz who won 55kg (beating Russia #1 and #2) is probably 3rd in Iran, Arami who won 60kg (beating Russia #2) is probably 5th in Iran, Arsalan who won 72kg is also 3rd.

bottom line, never saw Russia this weak in Greco-Roman!

On 9/6/2021 at 7:22 AM, wrestfan said:

I saw both of them in Ivanovic tournament in Serbia, Yousefi (who lost Iranian trials to Mirzazadeh) beat both of them quite easily. no way they can win a medal in Norway.

I believe Russia sent almost all of its top wrestlers to Serbia (except Olympic guys) interestingly they won only half of gold medals against 2nd/3rd tier Iranian and Hungarian wrestlers.

Dadmarz who won 55kg (beating Russia #1 and #2) is probably 3rd in Iran, Arami who won 60kg (beating Russia #2) is probably 5th in Iran, Arsalan who won 72kg is also 3rd.

bottom line, never saw Russia this weak in Greco-Roman!

They just aren't as good anymore. The areas that used to produce great greco wrestlers are diminishing ( or gone) and Russia doesn't have the well run resource rich soviet system in pristine shape to produce talents either.  

The commonly held belief here that its harder to win a medal now because instead of one Russian you have to face several. Yeah thats true for Freestyle. But thats only the case because of how popular and high level  FS is in Ossetia and Dagestan. Nothing to do with Russia per say. There is no Greco Dagestan that Russia can tap into and they can't do much about it .  In most other sports, not just greco (gymnastics, weightlifting...) Russia is much weaker than the Soviet union.

IWF announced its trial process for U23 World team in freestyle

some interesting point

57: Gholizadegan, Veisi and two more guys
61: Dastan and 3 more guys
65: Mahmoudjanloo, Nemati (the guy who beat Amouzad earlier this year) and 2 more wrestlers will battle first and the winner will face the mighty Hassan Ebadi
70: Maghsoudi and 3 more wrestlers
74: 3 wrestlers will compete first and the winner will face M.S. Firouzpour
79: Savadkouhi and 3 more guys
86: 4 relatively unknown wrestlers including Gholami and Kavousi
92: Hajiloueian and 2 more wrestlers will battle first and the winner will get A.H. Firouzpour
97: Abdollahi and 3 more guys
125: Akbarpour, Hashemi and 2 more wrestlers first, the winner will get Foroutan

interesting point, Amir Hossein Firouzpour is already moved up to 92kg. I assume 97kg is his eventual target.

Firouzpour has a decent weight for his debut at 92kg at the Medev with Mtisuri and a bunch of Russians. Him vs Goleij at 97 in the future will be an incredible match, lol. 

And that's funny about Ebadi. Iranian coaches seem to think they always have to involve themselves somehow with these decisions. 

Edited by Shiraz123

Watched some of the Medved, Veisi at 57 who is the guy who actually won our junior trial (Gholizadegan came third) came 5th but didn't win a match due to small brackets. He came 5th by losing twice, lol. TBH he is pretty bad, I was wondering how he was considering Gholizadegan has done somewhat well recently winning two senior tournaments. From what I saw at the Medved he only does underhook pushing, never shoots and gets countered easily. 

Big Firouzpour came third, got teched by Mamedov in under a minute in his second match.

Foroutan came second at 125, Lost 7 - 1 in the final to Khramiankou from Belarus. Funny match, Foroutan literally must have got to his legs around 8 - 9 times but either gave up his own takedown from there or the Belarus wrestler just escaped. As I said ages ago in terms of finishing takedowns Foroutan must be 1 of the slowest wrestlers in history and he paid for it here. Foroutan would have been better off just trying to underhook push his way to a win. 

Gwiz easily beat Mason Parris in US trials and will be the US rep at 125kg in Oslo next month. That's a shame but basically means Zare is all but guaranteed at least a Bronze. 

Cox v Ghasempour is the dream 92kg match up, have to favour Cox to win that.

On 9/12/2021 at 11:48 PM, The Genius said:

Cox v Ghasempour is the dream 92kg match up, have to favour Cox to win that.

We know Karimi struggles against Cox for whatever reason- Have Ghassempour and Karimi wrestled recently and if so  has Ghassempour done well against Karimi?

Just trying to get a feel where Ghassempour is in relation to Karimi... and what that could mean if/when Ghassempour faces Cox... 

Edited by window12

12 minutes ago, nom said:

Does the US team look as formidable to Iranian fans as it looks to US fans?  

Yes- US team is very impressive team for sure. Shame Gable Steveson could not be there- would have had the potential for more epic matches...

How do you rate the chances of Dake at 74 kg?

I can’t expect anything other than gold.  Just can’t see him losing.  Even with that glaring loss at the Olympics.  I suppose I have an irrational mental block.  I’m a huge fan, I’ve seen what he can do.  

5 hours ago, window12 said:

We know Karimi struggles against Cox for whatever reason- Have Ghassempour and Karimi wrestled recently and if so  has Ghassempour done well against Karimi?

Just trying to get a feel where Ghassempour is in relation to Karimi... and what that could mean if/when Ghassempour faces Cox... 

Karimi has a win over Ghasempour in the league a few years back, but don't think that will tell you anything about his chances vs Cox, I rate him to have a very good chance.

4 hours ago, nom said:

I can’t expect anything other than gold.  Just can’t see him losing.  Even with that glaring loss at the Olympics.  I suppose I have an irrational mental block.  I’m a huge fan, I’ve seen what he can do.  

Definitely helps that Chamizo, Sidakov and the guy he got teched to won't be at the comp at 74kg, he has a much more straightforward path.

5 hours ago, nom said:

Does the US team look as formidable to Iranian fans as it looks to US fans?  

I reckon it is probably the strongest team on paper of all countries. Russia is sending it's B team apart from at 97 and 86, and Iran has a mix of youth and some set guys like Yazdani. Definitely think most appreciate that.

In my personal opinion there are at least around 4 weights that Iran should challenge USA quite strongly. That is including of course Yaz vs Taylor 4.

Iran had to make a change in the Greco team, Amin Mirzazadeh at 130kg (5th place Olympics) tested positive for COVID and while there is still time for him to recover still he will miss the worlds because he will miss lots of training sessions. instead they are going to send World U23 Champion and 2021 Asian Champion Ali Akbar Yousefi.

we also had extra trials at 55kg between Abbspour and World Junior Champion Dehbozorgi, Abbaspour beat him twice to make the world team. (Dehbozorgi beat Abbaspour earlier this year to make the junior team, they are both U20)

so this is the final Greco squad

55: Sajjad Abbaspour
60: Mehrdad Mardani
63: Meysam Dalkhani
67: Mohammad Reza Geraei
72: Mohammad Reza MokhtarI
77: Mohammad Ali Geraei
82: Pejman Poshtam
87: Ramin Taheri
97: Mohammad Hadi Saravi
130: Ali Akbar Yousefi

15 hours ago, wrestfan said:

Iran had to make a change in the Greco team, Amin Mirzazadeh at 130kg (5th place Olympics) tested positive for COVID and while there is still time for him to recover still he will miss the worlds because he will miss lots of training sessions. instead they are going to send World U23 Champion and 2021 Asian Champion Ali Akbar Yousefi.

we also had extra trials at 55kg between Abbspour and World Junior Champion Dehbozorgi, Abbaspour beat him twice to make the world team. (Dehbozorgi beat Abbaspour earlier this year to make the junior team, they are both U20)

so this is the final Greco squad

55: Sajjad Abbaspour
60: Mehrdad Mardani
63: Meysam Dalkhani
67: Mohammad Reza Geraei
72: Mohammad Reza MokhtarI
77: Mohammad Ali Geraei
82: Pejman Poshtam
87: Ramin Taheri
97: Mohammad Hadi Saravi
130: Ali Akbar Yousefi

I got my wish after all