wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

23 hours ago, wrestfan said:

Iran had to make a change in the Greco team, Amin Mirzazadeh at 130kg (5th place Olympics) tested positive for COVID and while there is still time for him to recover still he will miss the worlds because he will miss lots of training sessions. instead they are going to send World U23 Champion and 2021 Asian Champion Ali Akbar Yousefi.

we also had extra trials at 55kg between Abbspour and World Junior Champion Dehbozorgi, Abbaspour beat him twice to make the world team. (Dehbozorgi beat Abbaspour earlier this year to make the junior team, they are both U20)

so this is the final Greco squad

55: Sajjad Abbaspour
60: Mehrdad Mardani
63: Meysam Dalkhani
67: Mohammad Reza Geraei
72: Mohammad Reza MokhtarI
77: Mohammad Ali Geraei
82: Pejman Poshtam
87: Ramin Taheri
97: Mohammad Hadi Saravi
130: Ali Akbar Yousefi

Looked at some matches of Yousefi. I don't see a generational talent there.  Interested in how he'd react to Semenov. Some people can't handle his offense and get destroyed.  Others can stifle him. I'd really like new young great 130 kg person to emerge. Semenov failed and I don't believe Yousefi or Amin are more than one cycle type champs at best.  

4 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Naifanov beat Kurugliev today in the world team trial, so Hassan will be separated from him and Taylor. 

based on the primary startlist Myles Amine won't wrestle in Norway, if he really doesn't show up. Yazdani will have Naifonov in the semifinal once again.

1 hour ago, wrestfan said:

based on the primary startlist Myles Amine won't wrestle in Norway, if he really doesn't show up. Yazdani will have Naifonov in the semifinal once again.

lol, wow. Kind of good, I want to see that match again actually. 

U 23 trials with lots of surprises,

57: Ahmad Mohammadnejad
61: Majid Dastan
65: Peyman Nemati
70: Ali Akbar Fazli
74: Hossein Abouzari
79: Ali Savadkouhi
86: Sajjad Gholami

92: Mohammad Mobin Azimi
97: Amir Ali Azarpira
125: Mehdi Hashemi

57, 61, 70, 79, 86 and 97 winners (those in bold) are already selected. other 4 guys have to wrestle another trial in 2 weeks, 65 vs Hassan Ebadi, 74 vs M.S. Firouzpour, 92 vs A.H. Firouzpour and 125 vs Foroutan

Ali Gholizadegan who was in race to make the senior team lost the first round of 57kg to Amir Hossein Shami! Amir Hossein Maghsoudi also lost to someone named Hossein Mohammadaghaei

have to say some of these guys are completely unknown to me. or at least their name don't sound familiar before any googling.

Edited by wrestfan

24 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

U 23 trials with lots of surprises,

57: Ahmad Mohammadnejad
61: Majid Dastan
65: Peyman Nemati
70: Ali Akbar Fazli
74: Hossein Abouzari
79: Ali Savadkouhi
86: Sajjad Gholami

92: Mohammad Mobin Azimi
97: Amir Ali Azarpira
125: Mehdi Hashemi

57, 61, 70, 79, 86 and 97 winners (those in bold) are already selected. other 4 guys have to wrestle another trial in 2 weeks, 65 vs Hassan Ebadi, 74 vs M.S. Firouzpour, 92 vs A.H. Firouzpour and 125 vs Foroutan

Ali Gholizadegan who was in race to make the senior team lost the first round of 57kg to Amir Hossein Shami! Amir Hossein Maghsoudi also lost to someone named Hossein Mohammadaghaei

have to say some of these guys are completely unknown to me. or at least their name don't sound familiar before any googling.

Did you see any of the matches?  If so, do any of the new guys look impressive?

31 minutes ago, irani said:

Did you see any of the matches?  If so, do any of the new guys look impressive?

https://www.instagram.com/iawf.ir/channel/

You can watch them all here if you have your binoculars, I was gonna watch but thenI saw how bad the stream was. Just wait till first of november for worlds to see how they do. They should get that idiot who takes the pointless pictures of them training every week that they upload to their site and tell him to switch his camera to video mode. A wrestling match has to be one of the easiest things on the planet to film but these guys can't get it right, I am not asking for deep sea wildlife footage. 

1 hour ago, The Genius said:

No Evloev at 97kg (GR) for Russia in Oslo. Do we know if Aleksanyan will be attending or the seeding yet?

I doubt Aleksanjan is attending. He is getting older and has not had luck with injuries. More good news for Saravi eh. 

Yeah it looks like Gogi and the coaches won out.  97 is one of the few weight classes where Russia has legit depth. They are sending Sargsyan who is legit, will test Saravi. Weak at 130 kg. Semenov likes to take time off and he can be a mess if he isn't properly prepared. They are stuck with Zurabi. 

This quote  of PR from  Russian coaches made me chuckle.   "Yes, but this is a great chance for us to prove that there was a misunderstanding in Tokyo, and our team was able to win more medals, more gold. Our fighters in any condition must be better than their rivals. Let's go ahead."  This is not a great Russian team. They have no dominant favorite and they are plain average at certain weights. They may end up winning more medals because of the weakness of the field, that being besides the point. 

Great opportunity for Yousefi to medal. No Riza, Lopez,  or Semenov.  

Edited by HawkY

61kg FS entry list - (at least) 8 really tough guys, Amouzad has his work cut out and a Bronze would be a very good achievement. 

Arsen HARUTYUNYAN (ARM)
Akhmednabi GVARZATILOV (AZE)
Andrei BEKRENEU (BLR)
Alibeg ALIBEGOV (BRN)
Georgi Valentinov VANGELOV (BUL)
Arman Norik ELOYAN (FRA)
Beka LOMTADZE (GEO)
Nico MEGERLE (GER)
Ravinder RAVINDER (IND)
Rahman Mousa AMOUZADKHALILI (IRI)
Toshihiro HASEGAWA (JPN)
Adlan ASKAROV (KAZ)
Kenneth KOECH (KEN)
Ulukbek ZHOLDOSHBEKOV (KGZ)
Sunggwon KIM (KOR)
Chakir ANSARI (MAR)
Leomid COLESNIC (MDA)
Tuvshintulga TUMENBILEG (MGL)
Eduard GRIGOREV (POL)
Ivan GUIDEA (ROU)
Abasgadzhi MAGOMEDOV (RUS)
Stevan Andria MICIC (SRB)
Emrah ORMANOGLU (TUR)
Yaroslav HURSKYY (UKR)
Daton FIX (USA) 

Both Geno and Taha will be at Oslo. I would like to see Zare v Taha but I'm not sure about their seeding. 

At GR, Geraei will be the only 67kg Tokyo medalist in Oslo and Saravi will be the only 97kg medalist. Kajaia will be the only Tokyo medalist at 130kg. Great opportunities for Geraei Saravi and Yousefi to win gold. 

2 hours ago, The Genius said:

Both Geno and Taha will be at Oslo. I would like to see Zare v Taha but I'm not sure about their seeding. 

At GR, Geraei will be the only 67kg Tokyo medalist in Oslo and Saravi will be the only 97kg medalist. Kajaia will be the only Tokyo medalist at 130kg. Great opportunities for Geraei Saravi and Yousefi to win gold. 

Taha and Zare have never hit. It is possible that Taha would have beaten Geno at tokyo. I'd like to see Zare Taha,  plus a look at if Zare has stagnated or  is still jumping levels. 

Saravi will prob have to beat Sargsyan to get gold. Sargsyan is no pushover. He beat the guy who tech'd Evloev. I've felt that 130 kg has been weak for a while. Its a weight class that is traditionally dominated by a single wrestler who has a couple year long "reign" and I think that Riza has been fortunate that it was him from 2017-2021. With all these absences,  Kajaia is not good enough  to step up to fill that roll. I was happy that he got his silver but the wait for a heir continues. 

Edited by HawkY

2 hours ago, The Genius said:

Taha is 2nd seed and Zare is 3rd seed.  Geno will be the 1 seed.

As an American I am hoping that Gwiazdowski is in the top half (less likely due to unbalanced brackets), because I believe he matches up better with Geno than Akgul or Zare.

14 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Taha is 2nd seed and Zare is 3rd seed.  Geno will be the 1 seed.

As an American I am hoping that Gwiazdowski is in the top half (less likely due to unbalanced brackets), because I believe he matches up better with Geno than Akgul or Zare.

Thanks, who's #4?

So Taha and Zare will face each other, great. There is a big gap between Taha Geno Zare and everyone else, so if Gwiz can avoid Taha/Zare's bracket he has an outside chance at a Bronze.  

Edited by The Genius

1 hour ago, The Genius said:

Thanks, who's #4?

So Taha and Zare will face each other, great. There is a big gap between Taha Geno Zare and everyone else, so if Gwiz can avoid Taha/Zare's bracket he has an outside chance at a Bronze.  

Per https://uww.org/ these are the seed 'rankings' that they have.  I pulled Steveson out, because USA isn't sending him.  It's just a matter of determining who is actually going:

01, STEVESON Gable, USA, 68 PTS

02, PETRIASHVILI Geno, GEO, 60 PTS

03, AKGUL Taha, TUR, 46 PTS

04, ZARE Amir Hossein Abbas, IRI 40 PTS

05, ABDELMOTTALEB Diaaeldin Kamal Gouda, EGY, 36 PTS

06, BOLTIN Oleg, KAZ, 28 PTS

07, KHRAMIANKOU Dzianis, BLR, 26 PTS

08, BATIRMURZAEV Yusup, KAZ, 22 PTS

09, SUMIT Sumit, IND, 21 PTS

10, DENG Zhiwei, CHN, 18 PTS

10, MUNKHTUR Lkhagvagerel, MGL, 18 PTS

10, KOZYREV Sergei, RUS, 18 PTS

10, LAZAREV Aiaal, KGZ, 18 PTS

EDIT: From what I seen on the last entries list, ABDEL of Egypt was not there (Nor is the Hemida, the US wrestler contending for the spot).  It appears BOLTIN of Kazahkstan is entered.  He will get the 4 seed, if ABDEL is not there.

Edited by nhs67

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

EDIT: From what I seen on the last entries list, ABDEL of Egypt was not there (Nor is the Hemida, the US wrestler contending for the spot).  It appears BOLTIN of Kazahkstan is entered.  He will get the 4 seed, if ABDEL is not there.

According to Spartan Combat, Hemida has the slot for Egypt.

1 hour ago, Red95 said:

According to Spartan Combat, Hemida has the slot for Egypt.

Then that answers it for us.  BOLTIN of Kazahkstan is the four seed then.

I wasn't aware that Hemida had moved from Ann Arbor to Ithaca.

18 minutes ago, HawkY said:

Are the Iranians confident that Zare can get past Akgul. They are in the same half. 

Hard to say how the styles will gel but I think he will. The size is a problem but Zare will be motivated after Tokyo. 

Edited by The Genius

25 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Hard to say how the styles will gel but I think he will. The size is a problem but Zare will be motivated after Tokyo. 

Is there any chance he gets much better (he is still young) or is this more or less finished product Zare. 

48 minutes ago, HawkY said:

Are the Iranians confident that Zare can get past Akgul. They are in the same half. 

Fresh Akgul is a lot better than fresh Geno so he might have some problems there, but he seems to get tired, or maybe just break mentally. This is how Geno has been beating him last few years and it surprises me every time. Wouldn't be surprised if Zare has success with the underhook bullying in the second. 

43 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Fresh Akgul is a lot better than fresh Geno so he might have some problems there, but he seems to get tired, or maybe just break mentally. This is how Geno has been beating him last few years and it surprises me every time. Wouldn't be surprised if Zare has success with the underhook bullying in the second. 

That he is even going to these worlds tells me that Taha is in form and has a chip on his shoulder, wants to show that he is the best in the world right now. If Taha wins gold I bet he will talk about Gable and insist he'd have him this time if they wrestled again. 

18 hours ago, HawkY said:

That he is even going to these worlds tells me that Taha is in form and has a chip on his shoulder, wants to show that he is the best in the world right now. If Taha wins gold I bet he will talk about Gable and insist he'd have him this time if they wrestled again. 

Well that seems stupid. Not like their first match was particularly close. 

And I think Zare can improve a lot. He is very reliant on one game plan and at his age he has time to add more to his arsenal. 

from what I can see from the draw numbers, Ghasempour has Cox in the first round. Zare has Khramiankov. Goleij has .. guess who ? Odikadze ! lol

Yazdani avoided the Israeli guy (the most importnat thing)