wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

1 minute ago, wrestfan said:

from what I can see from the draw numbers, Ghasempour has Cox in the first round. Zare has Khramiankov. Goleij has .. guess who ? Odikadze ! lol

Yazdani avoided the Israeli guy (the most importnat thing)

I thought that too but thankfully Goleij got the Indian that Mohammadian and Shabani destroyed in the same week. Otherwise Odikadze likely would have sent him back to Iran empty handed again. With this draw that I am seeing Goleij's bronze is guaranteed.

2 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

I thought that too but thankfully Goleij got the Indian that Mohammadian and Shabani destroyed in the same week. Otherwise Odikadze likely would have sent him back to Iran empty handed again. With this draw that I am seeing Goleij's bronze is guaranteed.

by my count, he has Odikadze first and the great Indian wrestler has to beat Korea and then Kazakhstan to have the privilege of maybe facing the great Goleij in the QF

I think first match is his real medal match

15 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

by my count, he has Odikadze first and the great Indian wrestler has to beat Korea and then Kazakhstan to have the privilege of maybe facing the great Goleij in the QF

I think first match is his real medal match

I was looking at that, but actual UWW says you are right and Goleij is with Odikadze. Not sure what is going on.

https://uww.org/event/world-championships-55?tab=brackets&weight-category=181676a4-22a0-11ec-8a0c-08002745f808

Brackets got reset for some reason, so this is our actual draws:

Sarlak rests first round, then has winner of Yemen and Ecuador, if he can beat them he probably has Erdenbat. I assume he loses here but if not Abe of Japan (2019 Junior world champ) and Atli are also on his side and potential semi final opponents. Russia and USA on the other side.

Amouzad - Starts off with a Hungarian with a Russian name, not sure who he is. If he wins that he has 2018 57kg U23 world champ Hasegawa of Japan. His quarter should be manageable  and if he wins there he gets the world cup champ and favourite Magomedov of Russia in the semi final 

65 Yazdani got a nice draw for himself. Opens up with Austria. Really this is about a good a draw as you can get at 65, might be his best chance to medal. Russia, USA, Japan and the Armenian who was terrorising everyone for a couple months are on the other side. 

Elahi opens up at 70kg with 2019 junior world silver from Japan Motoyama, who seems to be losing weight for some reason. He lost a close match in the junior world final at 74kg against the American who beat Nokhodi. Russia is also on his side of the bracket. 

Emami starts with a Mongolian who I don't recognise off the top of my head, but then has a 2019 world semi rematch with Kaipanov, if he wins there he will have Kenchadze. Bizhoev, Umarpashaev and Salkazanov are all on his side for a potential semi final match.

Nokhodi starts with Italy. He completely avoids Burroughs, Russia and Gulaev (this years euro champ) who are on the other side of the bracket. The other Kenchadze brother is on his side but he can't ask for a luckier bracket than that. 

At 86 due to a seeding redraw Yazdani has Tayor first round. No, just joking. He has a rest first round, then the winner of Poland and Kazakhstan. Seems like he should stroll to the semi against Naifanov. 

Ghasempour likely has a Mtisuri quarter than a Cox semi final. His first match is against the winner of Urkraine and CRC  (no idea where that is) after he rests in the first round.

The legend Goleij opens up with the man no Iranian can beat even going back to prime Reza Yazdani losing to him at world cup. Yes, it is Odikadze again. Can Goleij break the curse and beat Mr 5th place? If he loses to Odikadze then he can't expect to be pulled back in. If Goleij makes it to the semi final he will face Snyder. Sadulaev is on the other side.

Zare, my favourite wrestler, has Khramiankou first round, Khramiankou is pretty decent but Zare should beat him. If he does then he has the winner of Gwizdowski and Dhesi of Canada. Then he'd have an Akgul semi final. Pretty bad draw for Zare but he should get a bronze at the least if he can win his first match. 

Edited by Shiraz123

This is weird that they changed the numbers, but it wasn't bad for Iran, most Iranian wrestlers received a "better" draw after that.

interestingly who who needed a good draw to stand a chance for medal got it and better wrestlers (Yazdani, Ghasempour and Zare) are in the toughest half.

based on the brackets I believe Emami has the lowest chance to make the podium.

Tomorrow we'll have 61kg 74kg 86kg and 125kg up to (and including) the SF.

Amouzad's draw looks pretty good to me. He avoids Askarov, Harutyunyan, Fix (USA), Ravinder and Lomtadze! He will meet Magomedov in the SF if he gets that far which is a very tough match and he will be the underdog, but clearly the much easier half of the bracket. 

Emami got a quite bad draw although Kaipanov is not some unbeatable superstar so he has a small shot of making the final in my opinion. 

Yazdani vs Naifonov 3 SF is annoying but at least he has an easy path to get there. Interesting to see if Naifonov continues to apparently close the gap and how Yazdani wrestles this time. 

Zare has a tough first match but it will be great to see him hopefully wrestle Akgul tomorrow. Very interesting match. 

Highlights of tomorrow if everything goes well: Amouzad v Magomedov, Emami v Kaipanov, Yazdani v Naifonov III and Zare v Akgul. Not bad. 

1 hour ago, The Genius said:

Tomorrow we'll have 61kg 74kg 86kg and 125kg up to (and including) the SF.

Amouzad's draw looks pretty good to me. He avoids Askarov, Harutyunyan, Fix (USA), Ravinder and Lomtadze! He will meet Magomedov in the SF if he gets that far which is a very tough match and he will be the underdog, but clearly the much easier half of the bracket. 

Emami got a quite bad draw although Kaipanov is not some unbeatable superstar so he has a small shot of making the final in my opinion. 

Yazdani vs Naifonov 3 SF is annoying but at least he has an easy path to get there. Interesting to see if Naifonov continues to apparently close the gap and how Yazdani wrestles this time. 

Zare has a tough first match but it will be great to see him hopefully wrestle Akgul tomorrow. Very interesting match. 

Highlights of tomorrow if everything goes well: Amouzad v Magomedov, Emami v Kaipanov, Yazdani v Naifonov III and Zare v Akgul. Not bad. 

Khramiankou is in that "quality wrestler" tier with people like Khots, Deng. A top guy like Zare should beat that tier of wrestler in the big tournaments. Excited to see him vs Taha. 

8 hours ago, The Genius said:

Isnt Ghassempour v Cox also on the cards too?

Younes techs Mongolia

Amouzad beats Hungary 5 - 0. Hungarian wrestler should have been put on the clock at least once if not more, but I don't think Amouzad's takedown was worth 4 points so you can say it's even. 

Zare beats Khramiankou 6 - 0 

Younes techs Kaipanov

Amouzad out! Lost to Japan, to be fair he had no offense, usual tricks didn't work here aside from pushing. Which idiots picked him to win gold? lol, just joking. 

Edited by Shiraz123

Zare techs Gwiz in under 2 mins

Wonderful - we even saw some leg attacks

Taha beats Khizriev 5-0 and we have the Zare v Taha SF. Taha looks big strong and very physical, I think he might gas Zare out in the second period... But let's see. 

Edited by The Genius

Emami losing 6-1 after the first period to GEO

Should focus on push outs and being physical and hope he tires

Emami lost 10-1 to Kentchadze, can wrestle for Bronze if Kentchadze beats the Russian in the SF. I don't think he did as bad as the score suggests but he just wasn't as good.

Edited by The Genius

Hasegawa beats Grigorev in the QF but will need to beat the seemingly unstoppable Magomedov for Amouzad to be pulled back in.

Useful experience for Amouzad anyway, he's probably the youngest guy here and not like he got blown away or anything. He looks very skinny and needs to develop his man strength, he's at the age where he could rapidly improve a lot so nothing to get upset about. 

really disappointed with Amouzad. that Japanese guy was nothing special. but Amouzad managed to find a way to lose

and about Emami, I was expecting him to lose to Kentchadze but that was helpless. when was the last time an Iranian losing by 9pts gap in a World Championship ?

Yaz beats Naifonov 8-2 and is now 3-0 against Naifonov.  He did well to make Naifonov tired and managed the match very well.  The 2 pts he gave up were dubious. 

The real news is that DT keeps getting better and better but Yazdani looks exactly the same really. 

With the grounded rule going against Yaz he has to work on converting push outs to TDs or try something different on the edge instead when his opponent is grounded, he loses a lot of points (and energy) with failed push outs. 

Looks like DT's to lose unfortunately.