wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

Zare beats Geno 9-2 and WINS GOLD

AMIR HOSSEIN ZARE IS THE 2021 125kg WORLD CHAMPION 

Incredible TD defence from Zare. And he showed really good leg attacks which we all like. Just totally dominant. 

Geno seemed a bit too keen to shoot in the first which was very unlike him. Zare goes 2-1 against Geno. 

10-0 against Gwiz, 4-0 against Taha and 9-2 against Geno. 125kg has a new king and he's a 20 year old Iranian called Amir Hossein Zare.

Edited by The Genius

I want Zare to get even better. Jump a couple more levels. He is young enough to do it,  heavies strengthen and mature into their mid 20s. 

The Duopoly was nice. But its been a long enough wait. There hasn't been a dominant heavyweight since Sosslan in the 70s. Lets see a Zare reign and a push at some of those records. 

Team scores after day 2

1. Iran - 136 pts

2. USA - 125 pts

3. Russia - 103 pts

We have 4 finalists tomorrow but all in tough matches, Ghasempour clearly the best shot at Gold of those. Gilman will probably beat Sarlak and JB will beat Nokhodi, so that's +10 for USA. Hopefully Elahi can at least be pulled back into the repechage and wrestle for Bronze. Goleij's first match against Odikadze is basically a Bronze medal match. Snyder will probably win at least silver so if Goleij loses in the first round that could be +20 for the USA and decisive.

2013 was the last time Iran won the FS team title...

13 minutes ago, The Genius said:

yaz1.png.b59dfbaa587c438c70fa325f02920f64.png

Order is restored.

I've always felt like that by the eye test alone you could tell The Greatest was more talented than Taylor.  It was probably inevitable that once the stamina issue was sorted out, he'd get a win. 

when was the last time someone medaled in both world seniors and juniors in the same year ? I remember Sourian did that in 2005 but in freestyle I can't remember anybody. maybe Nokhodi is the first one.

I was most impressed by him today. also what about Sarlak?! lol Atri didn't medal after 4 tries. and Sarlak is now at least a world silver medalist.

Some history to share

with this word medal, Hassan ties the great Takhti for the most total medals in the olympics and worlds 

With 5 total gold medals, he is second behind Movahed’s amazing 6 golds (all consecutively)

I think he had a great shot of exceeding both Takhti and Movahed I. The two categories 

1 minute ago, irani said:

How much credit do you give to Pejman Doeostksr and  his coaching staff?

perhapd he was a mediocre wrestler and is a great coach?

he is coaching the team for 40 days. you can't give him the full credit but obviously they fixed some minor mistakes those were costly in Tokyo.

some people may say this is a weak World Championship, yes that's true for some Olympic weights but this is also probably the youngest ever team for Iran. most of them are around 20.

good job by Dorostkar but we can judge him better next year

Just now, wrestfan said:

he is coaching the team for 40 days. you can't give him the full credit but obviously they fixed some minor mistakes those were costly in Tokyo.

some people may say this is a weak World Championship, yes that's true for some Olympic weights but this is also probably the youngest ever team for Iran. most of them are around 20.

good job by Dorostkar but we can judge him better next year

86 and 125 had all the active contenders participating.  Those weights were not watered down .

92 had Cox, so Ghassempour’s win is also very meaningful 

That win does a lot for Yazdani's legacy, with it being only 2 months after losing to him. If he'd started finally getting a win over him in 2023 or something things would be different considering Taylor's more advanced age. Well done.