wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

26 minutes ago, irani said:

Some history to share

with this word medal, Hassan ties the great Takhti for the most total medals in the olympics and worlds 

With 5 total gold medals, he is second behind Movahed’s amazing 6 golds (all consecutively)

I think he had a great shot of exceeding both Takhti and Movahed I. The two categories 

I think Yaz has 4 total golds not 5 (2016 74kg 2017 86kg 2019 86kg 2021 86kg)

IAWF (they officially changed the name to IWF) uploaded a video about how Dorostkar, Dabir and Sourian are talking to Yazdani and making plans about beating Taylor in past 40 days. worth watching. kind of funny to see Sourian is giving advises to a freestyle Olympic Champion lol

https://hajifirouz2.cdn.asset.aparat.com/aparat-video/106e658f1a9211ae02ff5381cd402a7d38234689-720p.mp4?wmsAuthSign=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJ0b2tlbiI6ImI3ODRkM2Q3Mzk4MThjYTY3YTAwMmU2NzFiYWU3YmZjIiwiZXhwIjoxNjMzMzA4ODc3LCJpc3MiOiJTYWJhIElkZWEgR1NJRyJ9.ihyuqxSz6dH41T2seF4utZNCFtq6feGK4pv_l_OuWh4

12 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

IAWF (they officially changed the name to IWF) uploaded a video about how Dorostkar, Dabir and Sourian are talking to Yazdani and making plans about beating Taylor in past 40 days. worth watching. kind of funny to see Sourian is giving advises to a freestyle Olympic Champion lol

https://hajifirouz2.cdn.asset.aparat.com/aparat-video/106e658f1a9211ae02ff5381cd402a7d38234689-720p.mp4?wmsAuthSign=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJ0b2tlbiI6ImI3ODRkM2Q3Mzk4MThjYTY3YTAwMmU2NzFiYWU3YmZjIiwiZXhwIjoxNjMzMzA4ODc3LCJpc3MiOiJTYWJhIElkZWEgR1NJRyJ9.ihyuqxSz6dH41T2seF4utZNCFtq6feGK4pv_l_OuWh4

Interesting- goes to show the wisdom of crowd can be powerful. I would have thought Sourian would have some general  expertise on the conditioning and preparation side of things to transfer to Yazdani

32 minutes ago, window12 said:

Do his Junior medals count?

No, Takhti and Movahed did not have the opportunity to wrestler in Juniors, so they don't count for comparison purposes

47 minutes ago, The Genius said:

I think Yaz has 4 total golds not 5 (2016 74kg 2017 86kg 2019 86kg 2021 86kg)

You are correct, so this win puts Yazdani ahead of Takhti, Mehdizadeh, Khadem who each had three golds, and ties him with Habibi and Javadi who had 4 each.  He is still two behind Movahed who had 6

I am going by memory, too lazy to look it up, so I may very well be mistaken again

21 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

Could you imagine if Hemmat Moslemi was in the room oh my goodness he might have teched Taylor

3 minutes ago, window12 said:

So Nokhodi vs Burroughs- Is it completely hopeless  for Nokhodi then? I have heard JB say before that he has never lost to an Iranian...

Nokhodi is like 19 years old and his best result was junior worlds earlier this year, before then he wasn't rated very highly. So no chance. But maybe Sarlak has a chance, even though Gilman looks great

1 minute ago, irani said:

JB is correct.  Up to a few hours ago, Cox could make the same claim

I see what you mean. I feel JB is far too experience and accomplished wrestler to lose to a 19 yr old. Cox is a different story, I think he is not iin the same league as JB. But at any rate its worth cheering on Nokhodi for me just as a fan.

9 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Nokhodi is like 19 years old and his best result was junior worlds earlier this year, before then he wasn't rated very highly. 

I agree he is not a match for JB- at this time anyway...BUT

I do remember him winning Asian Championship Bronze in 2019 when he was 17-18 and remember thinking they must see future potential to take a kid to the senior continental championship. So they can  not have rated him that low. 

How oftener 17-18 year olds are taken to senior continental championships?

10 minutes ago, window12 said:

I agree he is not a match for JB- at this time anyway...BUT

I do remember him winning Asian Championship Bronze in 2019 when he was 17-18 and remember thinking they must see future potential to take a kid to the senior continental championship. So they can  not have rated him that low. 

How oftener 17-18 year olds are taken to senior continental championships?

asian championships are weak, iran usually sends younger guys there. the bronze he won there was pretty worthless he went 1-1 and got bronze because his opponent was injured

between Sarlak, Yazdani junior and Nokhodi if anybody has a chance for the gold tomorrow I believe that's Nokhodi. he will be the huge underdog though. Burroughs is a tough matchup for any Iranian wrestler, let alone a 19 years old kid but I really like what he did today. I believe I wrote something about him before that I don't expect anything from him in the future , I have to take it back.

but unfortunately he will grow up to 86kg where Iran already has lots of good guys.

Sarlak beat two guys I was expecting him to lose. I clearly expect him to lose to Gilman (who is in a great shape lately) I hope I'm wrong again but I'm afraid he will settle for silver which is still a huge achievement for someone in his level.

and A. Yazdani probably didn't deserve to be in the final. Ghiasi beat this Kyrgyz guy easier at the Asian Championship. this is a dream draw where you face Kyrgyz #2 in a WCh semifinal. Shakhiev didn't impress at all too but I think he is good enough to beat Reza Yazdani's cousin and Ali Shabani's brother-in-law easily.

22 minutes ago, The Genius said:

asian championships are weak, iran usually sends younger guys there. the bronze he won there was pretty worthless he went 1-1 and got bronze because his opponent was injured

The match I remember when he won the bronze was pretty tough for a 17 year old  and washigh scoring-...

But at the end of the the day time will tell how well he gets on in his senior career, you are right

14 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

between Sarlak, Yazdani junior and Nokhodi if anybody has a chance for the gold tomorrow I believe that's Nokhodi. he will be the huge underdog though. Burroughs is a tough matchup for any Iranian wrestler, let alone a 19 years old kid but I really like what he did today. I believe I wrote something about him before that I don't expect anything from him in the future , I have to take it back.

but unfortunately he will grow up to 86kg where Iran already has lots of good guys.

Sarlak beat two guys I was expecting him to lose. I clearly expect him to lose to Gilman (who is in a great shape lately) I hope I'm wrong again but I'm afraid he will settle for silver which is still a huge achievement for someone in his level.

and A. Yazdani probably didn't deserve to be in the final. Ghiasi beat this Kyrgyz guy easier at the Asian Championship. this is a dream draw where you face Kyrgyz #2 in a WCh semifinal. Shakhiev didn't impress at all too but I think he is good enough to beat Reza Yazdani's cousin and Ali Shabani's brother-in-law easily.

Gilman destroyed Russia's Mutaliev. It was not one of these flash pins. Think Sarlak loses.

Yazdani's match looks like a coin flip. Shakiev almost lost to Singh and tulga. On the other hand he has wrestled Rashidov close. 

What is Erfan like? 70 looks like a weird weight class. 

UWW Instagram post on Yazdani getting gold has over 10k comments. LOL.  

Dake getting gold post by UWW has comments as well (far fewer) … and they are almost all about Yazdani it seems.  LOL.  Iranian fans are passionate and ‘vocal!’  Love it.

39 minutes ago, HawkY said:

Gilman destroyed Russia's Mutaliev. It was not one of these flash pins. Think Sarlak loses.

Yazdani's match looks like a coin flip. Shakiev almost lost to Singh and tulga. On the other hand he has wrestled Rashidov close. 

What is Erfan like? 70 looks like a weird weight class. 

I believe Erfan Elahi is a better, younger and lighter version of Goleij, underhook pushout is his biggest weapon. interesting that he and Goleij (they are from the same town and apparently the same club) both will wrestle tomorrow. we will see lots of pushing tomorrow from the Iranian team.

I checked some backgrounds on the Iranian team, 8 out of 10 are from the same province and 4 are from a small town called Juybar. and all 4 of them are guaranteed a silver tonight (H. Yazdani already won the gold) I assume the whole town had a very pleasant night celebrating lol

Some interesting facts

• All 4 gold medals so far, went to Iran, US or Russia
  • 2 out of silver the 4 silvers went to US and Russia
  • All 4 golds tomorrow will go to Iran, US or Russia
  • All 4 silvers tomorrow will go to Iran, US or Russia

In summary, these championships are dominated by three countries, everyone else gets a participation trophy

10 hours ago, irani said:

Tell us more pleasr

happened to randomly follow Yazdani and most of the Iranian team out of the arena last night. it's been raining every day here in Oslo and last night was no exception. It was 10pm local time and an hour or so past when Yazdani wrestled and there were still a couple dozen Iranian fans waiting in the rain, holding umbrellas, just to watch Yazdani get in the team bus going back to the hotel. 

the Iranian fans have had one of the most impressive performances I've seen here in Oslo. I wish they didn't have *quite* so much to cheer about but I can't fault them for reveling in their country's incredible success. looking forward to seeing how things go once Greco gets started. 

Goleij techs MDA 10-0 in the first period and will wrestle Yergali in the QF. Goleij beat Yergali 6-4 in Asian Championships last year.

The Mongolian that Snyder just beat 14-4 got to Kyle's legs quite easily and completed a few good leg attacks. Shame Goleij won't do that but interesting nonetheless. 

Edited by The Genius