wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

13 hours ago, irani said:

@Uwwdocwere you the doctor who was massaging Ghassempour’s hamstrings after his match?

tell us what you are seeing there in Oslo.  Is the mood in the camp best you have ever seen?

God, I haven't had a chance to write anything cause I have literally been flat out since I got here. Long days from 7 to 10 at night. But it has been absolutely unreal this tournament from an Iranian perspective and so much has happened don't even knownwhere to start.

I didn't do what you mention, but I am mat doctor everyday.  Maybe if I get time I can write some interesting insights or answer questions.

All I will say for now is that loads of folk are now saying "who would have thought Cox would lose to Ghasempour", "what a shock". But I've been singing Kamran's praises for a while and Cox is very hard to score against. Massive well done, but not surprised at all.

Elahi loses the QF to Akmataliev 7-8. A very close match - WAIT: chaos ... not clear who won but I thought Elahi lost...

Score updated to 9-8 for Elahi... Now Akmataliev challenges... 

Akmataliev wins 8*-8. Annoying. Probably the difference between a Bronze and nothing for Elahi. That match was there to be won.

Edited by The Genius

Not sure how the challenge plays out but this was frustrating. Akmataliev is weak to leg attacks but strong upper body, we remember how Yazdani terrorised him at the qualifier with shots but got thrown bunch. Unfortunately Elahi is also upper body for the most part. Elahi Took him down pretty much every time he shot.

Edited by Shiraz123

Goleij leads Yergali 2-0 after the first period. Sumo dominance. Not sure how Goleij was the one to get put on the shot clock though, Yergali has done nothing.

Goleij wins 6-1 and is in the SF v Snyder. 

Can someone explain to me how Goleij got put on the shot clock but Yergali did not? Goleij controlled the entire match and was the only one who ever looked like scoring (albeit purely from push outs).

Zare should teach Goleij how to be a more complete wrestler, he'll need to do more than just push outs to have a chance against Snyder.

Edited by The Genius

11 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Right winner I think, not sure how Elahi went from 5 points to 8 points. 

Yeah and we can't be too upset about it given how easy his bracket was compared to the other half. He's only 19 and overall did pretty well for his age given this is first seniors. Let's see what he does in the next few years.

Edited by The Genius

Does this put as likely to place third then? I assume Sarlak, Nokhodi and Goleij are going to lose to Gilman, Burroughs and Snyder. Elahi has less chance of being pulled back in to the repechage than James Green does on the other side. That just leaves Ghasempour who will likely get gold (or I will be very upset, lol) and Goleij's bronze. 

Edit: Completely forgot 65kg Yazdani. Think the final may be a showcase of how uneven that bracket was.

Edited by Shiraz123

Zare is the first heavyweight (100kg+/130kg/120kg/125kg) world champion for Iran since 1989 (Alireza Soleimani won Gold by beating Bruce Baumgartner in the 1989 World Championships held in Switzerland). 

Ghasemi won (joint) Olympic Gold but was never world champion. 

2 minutes ago, The Genius said:

How did Goleij manage to **** that up? There was no need to go for that push out. 

Probably wanted to stick to him tie him up so he doesn't shoot from distance and end up like Yazdani in Tokyo. Backfired and he got thrown by lol.

never liked Goleij but this is the best version of him. what a stupid mistake at the end. he just had to hold Snyder for few more seconds and Snyder could do nothing.

his defense was great though. you rarely see that from the Iranians to defend the leg like that (I mean in last minute when Snyder was close to score)

16 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Probably wanted to stick to him tie him up so he doesn't shoot from distance and end up like Yazdani in Tokyo. Backfired and he got thrown by lol.

Looked like he was going for a push out for no reason when he had the win in the bag, unbelievable stupidity

Well that was closer than I thought, was like a greco match with the caution - caution - caution. Seems Snyder struggles with the brute force guys more than I would have expected. Iran is the underdog in all these matches except 92 so hopefully more of them can surprise me. 

Sarlak is definitely getting teched or pinned, isn't he?

Sarlak loses the final 3-5 to Gilman and wins Silver. 

Better than I expected, who would expect Sarlak to be a world silver medalist? Lol. But still it felt he underperformed and didn't start to attack (for leg attacks at least) until the last 30 seconds, usually when he attacked he scored. Can Sarlak improve more? Seems like he's close to the top 5. 

Edited by The Genius

Have to see how 57 plays out. Uguev is still clearly the top of the weight for me. I heard the Indian is going to go up, so that's one obstacle gone. If they can find a good 57 from juniors in the new couple years I think Iran can do well, these guys seem beatable. I'm sure the weight will be tougher next year. 

Sarlak did better than I thought he would. Would have won a medal on the other side also.