wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

42 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Yazdani loses like 18 - 4, lol. Yeah we just how lopsided the bracket was. Good for Yazdani for getting a senior medal but that was all time bracket trickery. Losses piling up now. 

First medal at this weight since Mohammadi in 2015, to clarify. 

Edited by Shiraz123

1 minute ago, jross said:

In real-time watching, why no challenge?  Yazdani initiated more exposures and seemed to have the lead before the leg laces.  Still may lose by tech but nothing from Iran coaches?

How does it work if they end the match when a wrestler can clearly continue lacing if they wanted to?

Like if they stopped the match when Russian could clearly continue lacing him, said Russia won by tech, then restarted the match after a challenge in neutral it would seem unfair to me. Cause he most likely could have made it 24 - 4.

I had 8-6 Iran before the lace sequence began.  Russia gets four laces to make it 8-14.  Once the ref stops the match, the challenge comes in and score is corrected.  Sorry Russia, match resumes.  Agree that Russia could win by 20 points if the match was to continue without break.  That did not occur though and these mistakes/setbacks are part of all competitive sports.

Edited by jross

Just now, jross said:

I had 8-6 Iran before the lace sequence began.  Russia gets four laces to make it 8-14.  Once the ref stops the match, the challenge comes in and score is corrected.  Sorry Russia, match resumes.

Yeah maybe, on first watch I had it 6 for Yazdani instead of 4 but you might be right. Not overly bothered cause it was probably just delaying the inevitable and he is already extremely fortunate to get silver but wouldn't have hurt for the coaches to challenge for the sake of it. 

1 minute ago, The Genius said:

That was pathetic from Nokhodi. I don't care that he's 19, how can you not shoot for a TD even once in a major worlds final match?

Self-confidence issues and respect for the JB reshot.  

6 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Nokhodi losing 3 - 0, hasn't looked close to scoring so far

correction, hasn't looked close to scoring try to score so far 

To be honest, every thing has gone as expected today.

I am anxiously waiting for the one match that I have high hopes for.  Go Ghassempour

5 minutes ago, irani said:

correction, hasn't looked close to scoring try to score so far 

To be honest, every thing has gone as expected today.

I am anxiously waiting for the one match that I have high hopes for.  Go Ghassempour

What's Hadi saying about all the losses haha

Wow, Ghassempour was great!  I almost got a heart attack in the last 10 seconds, but he managed to score again when I  thought he was about to give up 2 and lose

I was also amazed at how good Cox looked in the semi

Here is my take

Everyone, other than Sarlak did as well or better than I hoped

57 - Sarlak might be our best guy, and may have a shot at bronze in the Olympics

61 - Amouzad was disappointing, but he is young and I am still hopeful that he will be our guy in 65 for the olympics

65 - Yazdani is not our future.  he is not from the same cloth as his cousins or his sister who is a world champion Zahra Yazdani

70 - Not sure we have found our guy here, it's a non olympic weight anyway

74 - We need to find someone to fill in this weight

79-  Nokhodi will be a medal contender in world chmapions

86 - Yazdani MAY be able to become the best Iranian wrestler in history if he can win gold in Paris

92 - Ghassempour is our guy.  He is undersized for 92, but his skills make up for it

97 -  Goleji is not it -  I think Karimi may be our best chance, if he continues to wrestler, otherwise hopefully some young stud will show up.  Mohammadian MAY be an option if consistent

125 - we should be good for a few years

I imagine Ghasempour will want to move up to 97kg in time for Paris. Maybe unpopular opinion but I think Mohammadian deserves another shot. Worst case scenario is Goleij and he can win Bronze, and he's still young enough to improve. 

I wonder if Cox will try to move up again next year or stay at 92kg now. 

Zare can win many golds if Gable doesn't return, and maybe even if he does. 

Hope Elahi and Goleij can win Bronze tomorrow. But 3 golds and 3 silvers is already much better than anyone was expecting. 

Edited by The Genius

20 minutes ago, The Genius said:

I imagine Ghasempour will want to move up to 97kg in time for Paris.

I think Ghassempour is already undersize at 92.  I just can't see him move up to 97

If it wasn't for Yazdani, Ghassempour would be wrestling at 86

Think Ghasempour was a lot more on the ball yesterday, that never should have been that close. Maybe thought the same thing I did after he beat Cox. 

Anyway good performance. Don't see Sarlak holding the spot at 57 until Paris but that was good for him getting a silver. Maybe I just underrate him. And Yazdani won the lottery with his medal. He should go up in weight I think. 

We can still win the team title if Elahi, Goleij and Sadulaev win. Goleij and Sadulaev are big favourites, we'll see with Elahi. 

24 minutes ago, irani said:

I think Ghassempour is already undersize at 92.  I just can't see him move up to 97

If it wasn't for Yazdani, Ghassempour would be wrestling at 86

Ghasempour seems bigger than Karimi. Ghasempour doesn't really have a choice, he's 0-4 against Yazdani so probably better fancies his chances at a relatively weak domestic 97kg. 

59 minutes ago, irani said:

Wow, Ghassempour was great!  I almost got a heart attack in the last 10 seconds, but he managed to score again when I  thought he was about to give up 2 and lose

I was also amazed at how good Cox looked in the semi

Here is my take

Everyone, other than Sarlak did as well or better than I hoped

57 - Sarlak might be our best guy, and may have a shot at bronze in the Olympics

61 - Amouzad was disappointing, but he is young and I am still hopeful that he will be our guy in 65 for the olympics

65 - Yazdani is not our future.  he is not from the same cloth as his cousins or his sister who is a world champion Zahra Yazdani

70 - Not sure we have found our guy here, it's a non olympic weight anyway

74 - We need to find someone to fill in this weight

79-  Nokhodi will be a medal contender in world chmapions

86 - Yazdani MAY be able to become the best Iranian wrestler in history if he can win gold in Paris

92 - Ghassempour is our guy.  He is undersized for 92, but his skills make up for it

97 -  Goleji is not it -  I think Karimi may be our best chance, if he continues to wrestler, otherwise hopefully some young stud will show up.  Mohammadian MAY be an option if consistent

125 - we should be good for a few years

Can Nokhodi make 74kg?

3 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Ghasempour seems bigger than Karimi. Ghasempour doesn't really have a choice, he's 0-4 against Yazdani so probably better fancies his chances at a relatively weak domestic 97kg. 

really?  to me karimi seems bigger, although he is also undersize for 97

Looking at it from Ghassempour's point of view, you are absolutely right, his only option for olympics is 97

Looking at it from what's best for Iran, I hope Mohammadian can get back into his 2019 shape, or Karimi can bulk up, or Ghassemi can bulk up, or some new young stud shows up