wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

5 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

no , not completely

all 3 teams still have a chance for the team title. and considering the matches I believe Russia has a better chance but it's still completely possible for Iran and USA too. Iran needs 2 bronze medals + Snyder losing. US only needs Snyder winning. Russia needs to win both medal matches.

Iran and Russia can't win the title if they even lose one match, USA can lose and still wins the title. (USA is guaranteed a 2nd place finish at least with Green 100% finishing 7th and earning 8pts)

The US doesn't need Snyder to win. They only need Russia Iran to not fulfill their one exact  scenario.

3 minutes ago, irani said:

So, by the time the 97 Kg final takes place, either Iran or Russia, possibly both, will be out of contention for first place

If Elahi wins the bronze, there will be even more pressure on Goleji to win bronze

If Russia wins the bronze in 70, Iran will be out of contention, and Snyder and Sad will decide who wins the championship

If Elahi loses, and whoever beats him, beats the Russian, it's over, US wins

Yes. Russia needs that bronze. They can't win without it. And Iran needs their two bronzes as well. 

Iran's problem is they are behind in points and need Bronzes to make it up.

Russia's problem is that they don't have enough second place finishers to beat a tie breaker scenario. 

Edited by HawkY

Just now, HawkY said:

The US doesn't need Snyder to win. They only need Russia Iran to not fulfill their one exact  scenario.

yeah I'm aware of other scenarios, I said USA can lose and still wins the title.

but Snyder winning is the only realistic way for US to win the title, I really don't think that Armenian guy is capable of beating both Iran and Russia and Goleij is not going to lose the bronze. that's a very unlikely scenario. but yes nothing is impossible on the mat.

Just now, wrestfan said:

yeah I'm aware of other scenarios, I said USA can lose and still wins the title.

but Snyder winning is the only realistic way for US to win the title, I really don't think that Armenian guy is capable of beating both Iran and Russia and Goleij is not going to lose the bronze. that's a very unlikely scenario. but yes nothing is impossible on the mat.

Call me crazy but Arman is a bronze euro and indiv world cup guy and Batzul....  these Mongolians can get really tough. One of them over performing isn't that far fetched.  

4 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

What happened in the repechage match? I missed it.

he went down 4-0 and then started to attack, scored few points but lost it 6-5. probably could win the match with 20 more seconds. he started very late. the Armenian was a tough matchup for his underhooks. but that was winnable and he probably can beat the guy if they wrestle once again today. he just had no idea about this guy.

3 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

What happened in the repechage match? I missed it.

Great tournament for Iran.  For me, there were a few outcomes of consequence

• Yazdani solved the Taylor puzzle, we have a true rivalry
  • ZaRe proved himself as a top wrestler
  • Ghassempour is as good as we thought
  • Amouzad has work to do to reach his potential
  • Sarlak is a medal contender
  • Nokhodi can be a medal contender 
  • Amir Yazdani is not good ehough to be our Olympics guy
  • We need to find our guy in 74
  • We need to find our guy in 97

Man that was disappointing with Elahi. Hard to criticise him for losing two very close matches against world level guys that are older than him since he's only 19 and this is his first senior tournament and anyone can lose close matches at the lower weights. 

Elahi and Nokhodi are both 19 and both did pretty well and can win medals in the near future, so that's very encouraging. 

If Goleij wins bronze that's 3 gold, 3 silver and 1 bronze. A lot of luck with weak weights and lucky draws but I would say that is excellent regardless. 

Goleij techs the Mongolian 10-0 and wins Bronze.

The commentators are hilariously stupid, first they said Goleij lost to Snyder 3-3 on criteria then they thought the Mongolian was Nurov for the first 30 seconds of the match. 

43 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Goleij techs the Mongolian 10-0 and wins Bronze.

The commentators are hilariously stupid, first they said Goleij lost to Snyder 3-3 on criteria then they thought the Mongolian was Nurov for the first 30 seconds of the match. 

Which announcers?  what channel are you watching?

32 minutes ago, irani said:

Which announcers?  what channel are you watching?

Probably theofficial stream from UWW, and I disagree they are pretty good, outside of occasional mistakes and pronunciation errors which are understandable.  Much better than the Scottish guy they bring sometimes, or even worse in 2014 when they had the french & scottish guy. Actually I enjoy these American commentators better than Hadi Amel and his nonsense  catchphrases. 

19 hours ago, irani said:

Great tournament for Iran.  For me, there were a few outcomes of consequence

• Yazdani solved the Taylor puzzle, we have a true rivalry
  • ZaRe proved himself as a top wrestler
  • Ghassempour is as good as we thought
  • Amouzad has work to do to reach his potential
  • Sarlak is a medal contender
  • Nokhodi can be a medal contender 
  • Amir Yazdani is not good ehough to be our Olympics guy
  • We need to find our guy in 74
  • We need to find our guy in 97

One thing I will quickly say is that I spoke to a bunch of the wrestlers and I was really surprised how many of them really rate Goleij chance to beat Sadulaev. A lot of them said this and they genuinely felt with the camp they had and the improvements made that he could do this. Obviously hearing such a thing is quite a statement especially since I am sure he lost not too long ago (few months), but they were all really praising him, and it was genuine. Although hard for me to believe, I have to respect what they see day in day out and wrestle with him.

I would like to see what Mohammadian does. Most of these guys are going to be wrestling in the league next and signing for clubs. To me he is still from what we have seen in the recent times, the guy who can give Sad a run for his money out of our 97kg lot. Karimi is too small for the weight unfortunately, Kamran is also too small for 97kg. Shabanni at present seems worse than Goleij. Goleij looks better, but he is still an improved version of what he was in my opinion. I still say Mohammadian is the best we have. But this team are very high on Goleij.

GR draw (only the weights I'm interested in):

67kg: R. Geraei has the harder bracket, with Galstyan (ARM) and Zoidze (GEO) on his side. Geraei beat Zoidze 6-1 in Tokyo and Galstyan should be an easier match than that. So he has a good chance to get to the final and win Gold. Quite weak.

77kg: M. Geraei has Vlasov and Nemes in his bracket but otherwise it's quite weak. He can get to the final.

Poshtam at 82kg could have an issue because he could face an Israeli if he (the Israeli) wins his first round match v BUL. 

Ramin Taheri is back at 87kg after his recent disasters. Maybe he can win Bronze.

97kg: Saravi has somehow managed to draw the Russian Sargsian in the first round. If he wins that he should win Gold. If not, Bronze. Saravi is my favourite GR wrestler so I will back him for Gold.

130kg: Looks very weak - Yousefi should make the final, and should win Gold really. 

Overall prediction: 2 Gold, 1 Silver, 2 Bronze. 

Edited by The Genius

23 minutes ago, The Genius said:

67kg: R. Geraei has the harder bracket, with Galstyan (ARM) and Zoidze (GEO) on his side. Geraei beat Zoidze 6-1 in Tokyo and Galstyan should be an easier match than that. So he has a good chance to get to the final. Quite weak. 

77kg: M. Geraei has Vlasov and Nemes in his bracket but otherwise it's quite weak. He can get to the final.

Poshtam at 82kg could have an issue because he could face an Israeli if he (the Israeli) wins his first round match v BUL. 

Ramin Taheri is back at 87kg after his recent disasters. Maybe he can win Bronze.

97kg: Saravi has somehow managed to draw the Russian Sargsian in the first round. If he wins that he should win Gold. If not, Bronze.

130kg: Looks very weak - Yousefi should make the final, and should win Gold really. 

You think Yousefi is that good? Kajaia and Aocsta are in the same league as everyone but the surely retired Lopez and Riza. So other than one man, weak field or not. 

36 minutes ago, The Genius said:

67kg: R. Geraei has the harder bracket, with Galstyan (ARM) and Zoidze (GEO) on his side. Geraei beat Zoidze 6-1 in Tokyo and Galstyan should be an easier match than that. So he has a good chance to get to the final. Quite weak. 

97kg: Saravi has somehow managed to draw the Russian Sargsian in the first round. If he wins that he should win Gold. If not, Bronze.

Any reason Alizadeh is not here instead of Taheri?

5 minutes ago, HawkY said:

You think Yousefi is that good? Kajaia and Aocsta are in the same league as everyone but the surely retired Lopez and Riza. So other than one man, weak field or not. 

Well there will probably be some close matches especially with those two but there's no one there that Yousofi can't beat. There's also the American Schultz who Yousofi beat in the junior world finals 2-1 I think. 

Super impressed by Iran in MFS.  I recall someone saying that the 'age' level success hadn't translated over, aside for Yazdani much recently.  It appears regardless of how the weights end up, or who at them, that you guys will have a serious Senior Men's team for many years.  Yazdani is the Old Lion of the bunch, and he is 26.  Super impressed.

2 hours ago, The Genius said:

Well there will probably be some close matches especially with those two but there's no one there that Yousofi can't beat. There's also the American Schultz who Yousofi beat in the junior world finals 2-1 I think. 

Schultz looks like he is a full sized 130kg guy now.  He has gotten considerably larger compared even to this last collegiate folkstyle season of his.  I don't know how that will translate here at worlds, but just a FYI that he's gotten big compared to that match.

Some weight picks for Iran. 

67: Geraei did win an olympic gold but he wasn't the favorite and thats just the nature of Greco sub 70 odd kilograms. The field wins a lot and its like predicting successive coin tosses. No Ismael helps but prediction from me is Bronze. 

130: Yousefi has a cakewalk to the semis. There he will prob meet acosta. Acosta is big and boring. Really hard to score on. Its winnable. After that he probably faces Kajaia who is solid all around but not great. I hope Yousefi does get past Acosta to make it a better final. 

97: Sargsyan is a hammer. Terrible first round opponent, If Saravi wins 1st round he should get gold. Greco is a lot more predictable at higher weights (*Hancock if he sorts himself out could be an interesting finals opponent). But I'm picking Sargsyan for Gold. 

image.png.9b2f549ec4d17b9f7e1e4338327dce54.png

4 hours ago, Uwwdoc said:

Any reason Alizadeh is not here instead of Taheri?

one simple reason he sucks lol

but seriously speaking he lost to Lorincz in Vehbi Emre tourney in Turkey and Lorincz lost to some random Russian wrestler and Taheri beat that guy in the final.