• ZaRe proved himself as a top wrestler
  • Ghassempour is as good as we thought
  • Amouzad has work to do to reach his potential
  • Sarlak is a medal contender
  • Nokhodi can be a medal contender 
  • Amir Yazdani is not good ehough to be our Olympics guy
  • We need to find our guy in 74
  • We need to find our guy in 97

You are pretty tough on your Iranian guys.  I thought your junior world champs at 70 and 79 did amazingly well.  Both are only 19 right?   To come out into their 1st senior tournament and be that competitive is impressive.  I wouldn't expect any of the USA's junior champs from this past August to make any noise at this tournament.

I think you are being very rough on Goleij - he took Snyder to the brink and beat 3 legit guys at 97 (4 wins total but I don't know much about the Moldavan)  The Georgian, the Kazak, and the Mongolian are all tough 97kg guys.  I know Goleij gets a lot of criticism on this thread about not having great leg attacks but his style seems to work well for him. 

65 kg Yazdani has some work to do to reach the top echelon in that weight - he had the easy side of the bracket and the weight was missing some studs - but with that said he is fairly young and I think he shows promise.  He could make improvements to where he can compete with the best at that weight.  

27 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

You are pretty tough on your Iranian guys.  I thought your junior world champs at 70 and 79 did amazingly well.  Both are only 19 right?   To come out into their 1st senior tournament and be that competitive is impressive.  I wouldn't expect any of the USA's junior champs from this past August to make any noise at this tournament.

I think you are being very rough on Goleij - he took Snyder to the brink and beat 3 legit guys at 97 (4 wins total but I don't know much about the Moldavan)  The Georgian, the Kazak, and the Mongolian are all tough 97kg guys.  I know Goleij gets a lot of criticism on this thread about not having great leg attacks but his style seems to work well for him. 

65 kg Yazdani has some work to do to reach the top echelon in that weight - he had the easy side of the bracket and the weight was missing some studs - but with that said he is fairly young and I think he shows promise.  He could make improvements to where he can compete with the best at that weight.  

You are right!  I am pretty tough on them.  It's because I hold them to a very high standard.  Let me give you a more balanced summary

1. Goleij -  I have to give him credit for his world class defense, and his ability to tech a pretty good Mongolian wrestler.  Disappointed in his judgement in the last second against Snyder, and also his unwillingness to attack
  2. Nokhodi -  the guys here can attest that I am a big fan.  I was ready to rave about how right I was about him, until he mailed it in against JB.  I did not expect him to win, but I wanted him to at least try
  3. Elahi -  Pretty impressive performance for a 19 year old against seniors.  I actually hope he will grow into 74 kg, and become our representative there in Paris
  4. Little Yazdani -  Took advantage of a good draw, but deserves credit for that.  Getting tech'd in the final is bad though, no matter how young
  5. Hassan, ZaRe, and Ghassempour -  Highlights of the tournamnet, all exceeded my expectations, nothing but praise
  6. The non medalist -  Disappointed in Amouzad, still hopeful that he will develop into a world class contender in time in Paris

1 hour ago, irani said:

Little Yazdani -  Took advantage of a good draw, but deserves credit for that.  Getting tech'd in the final is bad though, no matter how young

Is 65 kg Yazdani related to The Greatest?

77kg Geraei beat 2x World Bronze medalist Mnatsakian 6-1 in the first round and is in the R16. He has a tough match against Georgia there, then Vlasov/Pyshkov in the QF and Nemes in the SF. Brutal. 

Edited by The Genius

13 hours ago, lu1979 said:

I know Goleij gets a lot of criticism on this thread about not having great leg attacks but his style seems to work well for him.

Saw him against KS -and now i have to follow him, he  have interesting style,  for example Adam Saytiev - one of the best wrestler of his generation have similar style - was unable to make leg attacks иге compensated with excellent handwork. Also Golij was first wrestler who weared out Snyder. Yes he got trapped at the end bus KS just was unable to do anything against him

72kg Mokhtari destroys his South Korean opponent 12-2 (not sure why they gave the Korean the 2) in under one minute and will wrestle AZE/GEO in the QF. Very tough match but if he wins that he should win at least Bronze overall.

77kg Geraei beats the Georgian 6-1 and will wrestle Vlasov (2x Olympic Champion and 2x World Champion) in the QF... 

Edited by The Genius

77kg Geraei loses 10-1 to Vlasov in the QF. He can wrestle Nemes for Bronze if Vlasov beats Nemes in the SF.

72kg Mokhtari beats Ganizade (AZE) 9-0 and is in the SF v Amoyam (ARM). That was very impressive... Amoyan should pose a tougher challenge.

82kg Poshtam beats 2017 World Silver BLR 3-1 and makes the SF v Akbudak (TUR). Two separate parterre points and one for a lost challenge. Not impressed by his parterre attack at all. Doubt he can win the SF but probably can win Bronze.

Day 1 summary: 55kg Abbaspour eliminated, 77kg Geraei can get pulled back into repechage to face Levai for Bronze, 72kg Mokhtari and 82kg Poshtam make the semis. 

Edited by The Genius

17 hours ago, wrestfan said:

one simple reason he sucks lol

but seriously speaking he lost to Lorincz in Vehbi Emre tourney in Turkey and Lorincz lost to some random Russian wrestler and Taheri beat that guy in the final.

Did he not recently do not bad wt the oc last chance qualifier? He looked decent at the tournament

Was matside for Mokhtari. Never seen him before, but so far so good, been impressive. Tough draw for Geraei with Vlasov in the quarters but hopefully he can go on if Vlasov goes to the final and get bronze

Abbaspour surprised me big time, I mean for few minutes I couldn't believe what I witnessed !! Sefershaev (possible gold medalist) lost to our #3 and needed lots of helps from the ref to beat our #4 in Serbian tournament a month ago but then our #1 lost like that (10-1 !!!) to someone who got teched easily in the next round. I was hoping for gold in this weight.

I was expecting this defeat for Geraei, he had to go all out against Vlasov. we knew Roman will finish the match if he gets the chance on top. Geraei had to try much harder to avoid the first caution. I believe Vlasov will win the SF but then it will be hard for this Geraei (mentally broken) to come back for bronze. in Tokyo he only had to beat a mediocre Japanese for the bronze but failed.

Mokhtari did great as expected. I won't write more since I don't want to jinx him lol Poshtam also did much better than expectations specially after that shaky start against India. he is not fun to watch but he is tough and can push anybody around the mat. I think it will be 50/50 in the semis. he as to avoid the caution because the Turk looked really good in parterre

18 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

Abbaspour surprised me big time, I mean for few minutes I couldn't believe what I witnessed !! Sefershaev (possible gold medalist) lost to our #3 and needed lots of helps from the ref to beat our #4 in Serbian tournament a month ago but then our #1 lost like that (10-1 !!!) to someone who got teched easily in the next round. I was hoping for gold in this weight.

I was expecting this defeat for Geraei, he had to go all out against Vlasov. we knew Roman will finish the match if he gets the chance on top. Geraei had to try much harder to avoid the first caution. I believe Vlasov will win the SF but then it will be hard for this Geraei (mentally broken) to come back for bronze. in Tokyo he only had to beat a mediocre Japanese for the bronze but failed.

Mokhtari did great as expected. I won't write more since I don't want to jinx him lol Poshtam also did much better than expectations specially after that shaky start against India. he is not fun to watch but he is tough and can push anybody around the mat. I think it will be 50/50 in the semis. he as to avoid the caution because the Turk looked really good in parterre

Other than little Geraei, Saravi and Yousefi are you hopeful for any of the others? I think Mardani and Taheri have almost no chance to medal but Dalkhani can get bronze.

Poshtam easily defeated by Turkey too. Poshtam is equally terrible in parterre offence as he is in parterre defence, impressive. 

These guys are all useless. Bring back Dehbozorgi Abdevali and Kaviani.

Only little Geraei Saravi and Yousefi can realistically win gold now.