wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

2nd Greco day was better. even though I'm still upset about those 2 defeats. Mokhtari lost to someone he could beat blindfolded! and Mardani had a wrong strategy and also faced some bad calls from the refs like some other wrestlers yesterday.

still 2 in the final and 2 bronze medals is a good result for the first 2 days.  Saravi had a brutal draw but he was great all day, dominated his matches. the Russian was lucky that he didn't go down in parterre in middle of the mat. he gave his everything to avoid the first caution (as he probably guessed Saravi will 9-0 him) and that almost worked for him but once Saravi passed the early storm it wasn't that hard from there. Szoke in the final is probably easier than all those 3 guys he beat before but this is Greco and nothing is guaranteed.

and Yousefi who wasn't supposed to be here (late replacement for Mirzazadeh) is now in the final. clearly this is a weak tournament without Cuba, Kayaalp and Semenov but Yousefi beat wherever was in front of him. he beat this Russian guy 10-2 a month ago. so this is suppose to be easy but still you would be a fool to underestimate Russia in wrestling.

2 hours ago, irani said:

Looks like Iran has a good shot of finishing in the top 3rd in GR, perhaps even 2nd.  

Is this correct?

So far (not including today's weights that are yet to finish):

1. RWF - 80 pts

2. AZE - 66 pts

3. TUR - 40 pts

4. IRI - 40 pts

5. ARM - 35 pts

Today's weights of 60/97/130 (final matches tomorrow):

60kg: AZE/ARM in bronze medal match (+10 for AZE/ARM). Russia in repechage (+8 for RWF). 

97kg: IRI in final (+20 IRI). Russia in repechage (+8 RWF).

130kg: IRI in final (+20 IRI) vs Russia (+20 RWF). Turkey in repechage (+8 for TUR).

This gives:

1. RWF - 116 pts

2. IRI - 80 pts 

3. AZE - 76 pts

4. TUR - 48 pts

5. ARM - 45 pts

Subject to the final results for 60/97/130. Then we have 63/67/87 to take place over the next two days (Geraei, Dalkhani and Taheri).

So I'd say Iran is virtually guaranteed top 3 with a very strong chance of coming second. Obviously I might have missed some results but that gives a good idea of final standings in my opinion. 

we had the rest of U23 team trials today

65kg, Hassan Ebadi 2-1 Peyman Nemati / 2-4, 9-4, 10-0
74kg, Mohammad Sadegh Firouzpour 2-0 Hossein Abouzari / 4-2 , 6-2
92kg: Amir Hossein Firouzpour 2-0 Mohammad Mobin Azimi / 6-5, 7-2
125kg: Mehdi Hashemi 2-0 Abbas Foroutan / 6-3, 8-0

Foroutan losing twice by that scoreline to someone like Hashemi was a huge surprise or maybe Hashemi is this good! we already knew the team member in 6 other weights, so Iran is going to send this team to Serbia

57kg: Ahmad Mohammadnejad (Khorasan Razavi)
61kg: Majid Dastan (Tehran)
65kg: Hassan Ebadi (Mazandaran)
70kg: Ali Akbar Fazli (Mazandaran)
74kg: Mohammad Sadegh Firouzpour (Mazandaran)
79kg:Ali Savadkouhi (Mazandaran)
86kg: Sajjad Gholami (Alborz)
92kg: Amir Hossein Firouzpour (Mazandaran)
97kg: Amir Ali Azarpira (Tehran)
125kg: Mehdi Hashemi (Mazandaran)

once again Mazandaran dominates with 6 team members which is a low for them lol they had 80% of the senior team in Oslo.

Taheri lost to Denmark 3-1 (really 1*-1 until Taheri just laid on the mat and gave up when he knew he lost). I knew he was bad but I didn't know he was this terrible. They should forget about Taheri and send Alizadeh next time, he won 2021 Asian Championships and came third in that Olympic qualifier and he's a lot younger than Taheri too.

Edited by The Genius

Dalkhani beat Temirov 3*-3 and will wrestle Abbasov (AZE) in the SF. 

I thought he was going to lose after he messed up the parterre but he found a late takedown. Good result for young Dalkhani, Temirov is 2018 World Bronze and came 5th in Tokyo.

Geraei beats Jafarov (AZE) 11-0 in the QF and will wrestle Zoidze (GEO) in the SF - Geraei beat Zoidze 6-1 in Tokyo if I remember correctly.

The Geraei brothers are just so insanely good from parterre, it's amazing to watch.

Edited by The Genius

The Geraei's  do make watching greco more interesting. Hopefully the younger one can defend his Tokyo gold medal which would be  a great achievement when matches can throw up a lot of unpredictable outcomes...

Wow Dalkhani (63kg) destroys Mammadov (AZE) 9-0 in the SF and will wrestle for Gold tomorrow against Abuladze (GEO) in the final. 

Mammadov won 2019 European Bronze and 2021 European Silver, though was otherwise very inconsistent in worlds etc. Abuladze has won 2021 European Bronze and was 2016 Cadet world champion. 

Edited by The Genius

HOLY **** how did Geraei win that match ?! 

He's down 6-2 with 10 seconds left and gets two push outs each called as a caution for fleeing, so 2 pts for each and wins 7-6 (after a failed Georgian challenge)!

He really messed up his parterre and let Zoidze just stand up without even trying to link his arms around Zoidze, but somehow still managed to win in the last 1 second. 

Unbelievable. He got very very lucky. Only Geraei could win like that, LOL. Zoidze really threw that match away in an almost Iranian fashion. 

Geraei will wrestle Abdullaev (RWF) in the final for Gold tomorrow. 

I still back him to win Gold here, as long as he doesn't mess up his parterre attack again lol.

Edited by The Genius

HOLY **** how did Geraei win that match ?! 
He's down 6-2 with 10 seconds left and gets two push outs each called as a caution for fleeing, so 2 pts for each and wins 7-6 (after a failed Georgian challenge)!
He really messed up his parterre and let Zoidze just stand up without even trying to link his arms around Zoidze, but somehow still managed to win in the last 1 second. 
Unbelievable. He got very very lucky. Only Geraei could win like that, LOL. Zoidze really threw that match away in an almost Iranian fashion. 
Geraei will wrestle Abdullaev (RWF) in the final for Gold tomorrow. 
I still back him to win Gold here, as long as he doesn't mess up his parterre attack again lol.

That was absolutely amazing!!

YOUSOFI WINS GOLD AT 130KG 

ALI AKBAR YOUSOFI - 2021 WORLD CHAMPION

Yousofi (21 years old) is Iran's first ever GR world champion at 130kg (or its former equivalents). 

What a star. I knew he would be better internationally than Mirzazadeh and I'm so glad he got to go to Oslo instead. 

Yousofi won Bronze at 2018 U23 Worlds (at the age of 18), then became both Junior World and U23 World champion in 2019 (at the age of 19), became the Asian Champion earlier in 2021 and now is the 2021 World Champion (at 21).

This guy is incredible and will win a lot of medals in his career.

Edited by The Genius

11 minutes ago, The Genius said:

YOUSOFI WINS GOLD AT 130KG 

ALI AKBAR YOUSOFI - 2021 WORLD CHAMPION

Yousofi (21 years old) is Iran's first ever GR world champion at 130kg (or its former equivalents). 

What a star. I knew he would be better internationally than Mirzazadeh and I'm so glad he got to go to Oslo instead. 

Yousofi won Bronze at 2018 U23 Worlds (at the age of 18), then became both Junior World and U23 World champion in 2019 (at the age of 19), became the Asian Champion earlier in 2021 and now is the 2021 World Champion (at 21).

This guy is incredible and will win a lot of medals in his career.

yes, you have been calling this for a while, and you got very lucky that @shiraz123 did not post any positive comments about Yousofi.

I know this is a diluted tournament with a couple of key guys missing, but this is still a monumental achievement for a 21 year old.

We have two gold matches tomorrow, what is your prediction for each of those?

Dabir and Soruian must feel like stars now based on the performance of the GR and FS teams in these championships

16 minutes ago, irani said:

yes, you have been calling this for a while, and you got very lucky that @shiraz123 did not post any positive comments about Yousofi.

I know this is a diluted tournament with a couple of key guys missing, but this is still a monumental achievement for a 21 year old.

Dabir and Soruian must feel like stars now based on the performance of the GR and FS teams in these championships

At 130kg I assume Lopez has retired, so it was only really Riza and Semenov that were missing. Admittedly they are two of the best but I think Yousofi could beat Semenov. Riza could be a problem, but he's 10 years older than Yousofi and must be near the end of his career. 

I think Geraei should win 9 times out of 10, but he is extremely unpredictable, even here he went 6-1 down twice and found ways to win (actually not unusual for him lol). But otherwise his parterre looks very good. Dalkhani is a bit harder to predict but I think his match is very winnable too, so I'm hoping for two more golds (but of course anything is possible in GR).

27 minutes ago, irani said:

LOL. I would have said something nice about him but watching 130kg greco, no lol, i'd rather set myself on fire. Not for me. So he luckily escaped lol. Lopez winning 4 was cool but outside of that I don't care. I saw a bit of his match against Norway or some Scandinavian country the other day and I think that's enough for the next 4/5 years. That's a tough division to watch. Maybe UWW should let those big guys just trip each other or something. 

Good for him though. He is definitely a big strong boy, If I was him i'd try get into movies as a background bodyguard type character or be one of those big guys that does security for the celebrities. Probably pays better. 

12 hours ago, irani said:

It will be interesting to see if the GR guys can come home with 4 Golds, and 2nd place.

That will give them bragging rights over the FS guys

Bragging rights ha-Well the free style guys may just say they said all the negative stuff and the rest of the sh*t just not to jinx their their fellow GR guys. lol

Dalkhani wins gold at 63kg. Who would have thought Dalkhani would be world champion before this tournament? Not me lol but he did very well. He was close in 2019 too but lost a few close matches and didn't medal. 

Dalkhani is Iran's 10th ever GR world champion. Technically that puts him in our top 10 ATG GR wrestlers... lol

Geraei 1-0 after the first period

He made the exact same mistake on the parterre as before, very very annoying since his parterre is his biggest strength. Geraei is way too relaxed on top sometimes and loses the position entirely. 

REZA GERAEI WINS THE FINAL 5-2 AND WINS GOLD

REZA GERAEI 2021 OLYMPIC AND WORLD CHAMPION AT 67KG

THE THIRD IRANIAN GR WRESTLER EVER TO BECOME OLYMPIC AND WORLD CHAMPION. HISTORY HAS BEEN MADE.

Edited by The Genius