wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

1 hour ago, Shiraz123 said:

Apparently Steveson is coming at 125, not Gwiz. That surprises me. A lot of respect to Steveson for putting it on the line, he doesn't really need to do this seeing as he's won his olympic gold and gone/going to WWE and those fans won't know/care. Does more for Zare if anything. 

Mostly agree with you, but think USA is a good favourite over us at 65. Their 65s aren't medal calibre but they're a step up from Yazdani and Ghiasi. 

This will be interesting though, i'm sure they're not going to force them to make the actual weights (nor should they, i'm not complaining), so I wonder how that will impact the matches. Cox at 92 with a weight allowance will be tough for Ghasempour. But you could say not having to make 65 helps Yazdani since he fades hard. 

To be honest, looking at it, there's not a weight where Iran is a huge favourite. 

Steveson is coming back?  Really?  Where did you read that?  Man if that happens, 86, 92, 97 and 125 will all be must watch matches, and you are right, iran is not really a favorite in any weight classes, and heavy underdogs in 57, 74 and 79.

I will change my assessment in 61, and say US is a slight favorite, not a heavy favorite.  I think Amouzad will continue to get better

11 minutes ago, irani said:

Steveson is coming back?  Really?  Where did you read that?  Man if that happens, 86, 92, 97 and 125 will all be must watch matches, and you are right, iran is not really a favorite in any weight classes, and heavy underdogs in 57, 74 and 79.

I will change my assessment in 61, and say US is a slight favorite, not a heavy favorite.  I think Amouzad will continue to get better

He said on instagram on the post about this event that he wants to be included. I'm sure they will do that because Zare - Gwiz is not interesting.  And i'm assuming the organiser has some guarantee/word from the Iranian federation that Iran will send their number 1 team, if not I wouldn't invite them. No one wants to see Taylor vs Bazri, lol. 

1 hour ago, irani said:

The USA-Iran match is after an Oklahoma State-Iowa college folkstyle dual.  I doubt Fix wrestles.

2 hours ago, wrestfan said:

A.M. Yazdani claims will wrestle at 70kg from now on. it's still hard to believe he is a world silver medalist.

Any links to recent interviews buddy link you provided before with Dabir post Olympics?

Not had chance to catch any and I ain't good with aparat etc. But I know there have been loads of interviews recently 

10 hours ago, Uwwdoc said:

Any links to recent interviews buddy link you provided before with Dabir post Olympics?

Not had chance to catch any and I ain't good with aparat etc. But I know there have been loads of interviews recently 

it's hard to find those interviews after more than few days. yeah they said lots of things lol for example Dabir said we are #1 in the World in Greco but in freestyle we are still behind USA and Russia even though they were probably one win (by Amouzad or Elahi) away from winning the team title

here is a TV show with R. Geraei and Delkhani as guests. nothing really special though , the host sucks but that's all I could find for now
https://www.telewebion.com/episode/2676632

btw if you use telegram you should follow IWF's account. they are always quick in posting anything related to Dabir lol one of his comments before the 3rd day finals (when he is talking to the wrestlers and one of his own guys recorded it) got controversial. he is sometimes too religious in a VERY annoying way. he says something like "let's go and make Shia people happy" and he never apologized for that, only tried to somehow explain it in most of his interviews.

Edited by wrestfan

World U23 entries

https://uww.org/article/wrestlebelgrade-u23-world-championship-entries

this list is different than what IWF is going to send to Belgrade so I assume we can't fully trust it. this is just a preliminary list

do you guys know when was the last time Azerbaijan didn't send Turan Bayramov to a wrestling competition? he is everywhere lol

Edited by wrestfan

7 hours ago, wrestfan said:

World U23 entries

https://uww.org/article/wrestlebelgrade-u23-world-championship-entries

this list is different than what IWF is going to send to Belgrade so I assume we can't fully trust it. this is just a preliminary list

do you guys know when was the last time Azerbaijan didn't send Turan Bayramov to a wrestling competition? he is everywhere lol

Yeah they send him to everything lol. He's a very talented wrestler I think, just seems to lose in stupid ways. Maghsoudi beating him at junior worlds is one of the biggest fluke wins I have ever seen. No disrespect to Maghsoudi but he was nowhere near Bayramov's level.

How is the league this year in FS? Did one team buy all the good wrestlers like last time or will we see some interesting matches? And when does it start?

4 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

How is the league this year in FS? Did one team buy all the good wrestlers like last time or will we see some interesting matches? And when does it start?

I think they limited teams to only 2 World Team members. so I assume that wasn't possible.

I think the league starts in 2 or 3 days in 4 groups in 4 different towns.

the league's poster

71-a9ecf350-d426-4bfd-aea8-4a1cf84f96d9.

1 hour ago, wrestfan said:

I think they limited teams to only 2 World Team members. so I assume that wasn't possible.

I think the league starts in 2 or 3 days in 4 groups in 4 different towns.

the league's poster

71-a9ecf350-d426-4bfd-aea8-4a1cf84f96d9.

And hilariously two of the people on the greco poster are not going to participate in the league.

Yaz is still waiting to see who will fork out the most for his signature.

Shabani and Mohammadian are team mates in the same club.

Ghasempour is in a club that has Reza Yazdani as coach. 

Kamran and Yaz may face each other at 86, will be interesting to see if Kamran can close the gap.

Has any Iranian ever beaten such an elite list of opponents by the age of 20 as Amir Zare?

He has defeated: Geno twice (3x world champ, 8x world and olympic medalist), Akgul (3x world and olympic champ, 6x world medalist), Gwiz three times (2x world medalist), Deng (2x world medalist), Makhov (4x world and olympic champion), Parviz Hadi (1x world medalist but 5x Asian Games/Champion and clear #3 in world at one point) and some other world level guys (Khrankou and the Ukrainian). There isn't really anyone else for him to beat right now other than Steveson if he returns. 

Yazdani beat Tsabalov and I think Gadzhiev (or did he lose? I don't remember exactly who won) by around that age I think but that's not as good. 

Maybe heavyweight is less competitive and Zare is rising at a good time when the two stars are ageing and the potential #1 Steveson has retired without wrestling him, but that's still a great list of names. Anyone's resume can be scrutinised like that: Yazdani never wrestled JB at 74kg, 86kg is the weakest olympic weight, he is 1-3 against his main rival at 86kg, etc. 

I'm going to say it: I think Zare could have a better career than Yazdani. He will certainly be Iran's best ever FS wrestler in the weight class (less controversial). Other than Gable no one has a good chance to beat him, and good heavyweights don't grow on trees, hence why Taha and Geno dominated for so long. 

Yazdani and Zare  have differing characters/styles also. Yazdani Is the type of character that on most  occasions does the right thing, says the right thing and perhaps in that respect is very much conventional and coforms with the role what Iranians want to see in wrestling Champion. Zare seems to have more personality and interested in  pushing the boundaries a bit which make him a bit more colourful compared to Yazdani. But I guess we are lucky to have both as elite wrestlers.

24 minutes ago, window12 said:

Yazdani and Zare  have differing characters/styles also. Yazdani Is the type of character that on most  occasions does the right thing, says the right thing and perhaps in that respect is very much conventional and coforms with the role what Iranians want to see in wrestling Champion. Zare seems to have more personality and interested in  pushing the boundaries a bit which make him a bit more colourful compared to Yazdani. But I guess we are lucky to have both as elite wrestlers.

Agreed, Yazdani is a bit too perfect and boring sometimes lol. But he's a humble servant of Iran and works hard to make his dear friends happy and that's nice. Zare is extremely young but works so hard to improve after setbacks and is a bit cocky, not in a disrespectful American way but in his own confident fun way, and I like that. 

2 hours ago, The Genius said:

Agreed, Yazdani is a bit too perfect and boring sometimes lol. But he's a humble servant of Iran and works hard to make his dear friends happy and that's nice. Zare is extremely young but works so hard to improve after setbacks and is a bit cocky, not in a disrespectful American way but in his own confident fun way, and I like that. 

He has swagger.  That's what we call that.  He has loads of swagger.  If Gable is out on the Worlds level and Parris doesn't get back on track to where he was, he might have a dominating swagger that lasts a decade or more.

15 hours ago, nhs67 said:

He has swagger.  That's what we call that.  He has loads of swagger.  If Gable is out on the Worlds level and Parris doesn't get back on track to where he was, he might have a dominating swagger that lasts a decade or more.

Thanks-Swagger that what it is - I knew there would be a proper word for that.By visiting this forum at least my English vocabulary is getting a bit of a boost...although shame my wrestling knowledge does not seem to improve much ;)