wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

On 10/25/2021 at 2:39 PM, Uwwdoc said:

There is another team that has Taheri, Karimi, Hosseinkhani, mini Yaz, Akbari, Nokhodi, and Sarlak too I believe, they seem not bad on paper too.

Which Akbari is that-Ezzatollah?

I did not know he was still active but a good wrestler

1 hour ago, window12 said:

Which Akbari is that-Ezzatollah?

I did not know he was still active but a good wrestler

Ezzatollah akbari. Yes. 

They have a strong team. Probably the strongest overall if you are talking about across all weights to be honest. Some pharmaceutical company. Also have Shabazi, Amir hossein Maghsoudi an otherw. Alireza Rezaei is the headcoach. Strong team my tip to win the whole thing. 

They are in action tomorrow

Finally an interview with Mohammad Hossein Mohammadian after the Olympics, he was quiet until this, he teched his opponent in the league in less than a minute.
https://www.tasnimnews.com/fa/news/1400/08/05/2596139/محمدیان-المپیک-برای-من-مثل-یک-کابوس-بود-گفتم-خدایا-2-ماه-بخوابم-و-این-روزها-فقط-بگذرد

obviously he was under huge pressure, (being Askari Mohammadian's son didn't help to lift the pressure at all) here he says he locked himself in his room after the defeat.

and about his poor performance in Tokyo he says "maybe it was overtraining" he says his dream was to wrestle Sadulaev and he still hopes to wrestle him one day.

he also said he didn't want to go the worlds and never asked to wrestle at the trials. he will wrestle in World Military Championships in Tehran in less than a month.

Edited by wrestfan

1 hour ago, wrestfan said:

Finally an interview with Mohammad Hossein Mohammadian after the Olympics, he was quiet until this, he teched his opponent in the league in less than a minute.
https://www.tasnimnews.com/fa/news/1400/08/05/2596139/محمدیان-المپیک-برای-من-مثل-یک-کابوس-بود-گفتم-خدایا-2-ماه-بخوابم-و-این-روزها-فقط-بگذرد

obviously he was under huge pressure, (being Askari Mohammadian's son didn't help to lift the pressure at all) here he says he locked himself in his room after the defeat.

and about his poor performance in Tokyo he says "maybe it was overtraining" he says his dream was to wrestle Sadulaev and he still hopes to wrestle him one day.

he also said he didn't want to go the worlds and never asked to wrestle at the trials. he will wrestle in World Military Championships in Tehran in less than a month.

The thing with Mohammadian is that he has been quite inconsistent. Even before the Olympics when Shabani, Karimi and him went to this tournament as part of selection criteria (was it Poland?) he wrestled cautiously and won on criteria on shot clock points against karimi and Shabani if I remember correctly. At the time I was ok with it as thinking he was our best shot at Sadulaev- but really to be a potential competition for him you need to offer more in terms of consistency as well. At this stage I feel safer with Golij. Hopefully they will in due course have a decent and fair selection process and whoever proves the best wrestler will get the chance to represent Iran at 97 Kg.

Edited by window12
edit

This is what I think of Mohammadian. That Matteo Pellicone tournament where he smoked all his opponents including Kyle Snyder. After that performance, I was beginning to think that this would be the one to stop Sadulaev’s reign. But instead, Mohammadian seemed to shut down a lot. It makes me wonder how was he so dominant at that tournament with a good number of past World and Olympic Medalists and dominating them. And after that, slowed down and was never the same. It would have been a far better deal if either Goleij or Shabani were at Tokyo. I’m beyond excited for Goleij to be Iran’s entry till at least 2024. He just missed a win over Snyder by 3 seconds that obviously ticked him off terribly. But I’m confident he’s going to use that defeat as motivation to do better down the road. I can see him beat Snyder. I know it’d take more work to beat Sadulaev, but I can count on him. I like Goleij for Iran at 97kg. The whole team is consistent of winning medals. 

today we have the 3rd group of the competition, this group with 3 teams has 2 very weak teams + 1 strong team

Sarlak and Nokhodi wrestled today (I thought they are going to rest for a while) Hosseinkhani, Karimi and Taheri teched their opponents but Maghsoudi lost to some unknown guy!!

Zagir Shakhiev and Elizbar Odikadze are the first foreign wrestlers in the league, both will wrestle for "Sari" club and will wrestle on Friday.

7 hours ago, wrestfan said:

today we have the 3rd group of the competition, this group with 3 teams has 2 very weak teams + 1 strong team

Sarlak and Nokhodi wrestled today (I thought they are going to rest for a while) Hosseinkhani, Karimi and Taheri teched their opponents but Maghsoudi lost to some unknown guy!!

Zagir Shakhiev and Elizbar Odikadze are the first foreign wrestlers in the league, both will wrestle for "Sari" club and will wrestle on Friday.

Can Odikadze wrestle Mohammadian?

it was a very interesting dual, finished 5-5 and 19-19 on classification points but "Setaregan Sari" managed to win the dual thanks for having more technical points. (42 to 36) that was a big loss for Reza Yazdani (Sanaye Mazandran's head coach) but still they have the 2nd round to make up for this defeat and advance to the final 4.

Sari wrestlers are first in this list

57: Ali Khanzadeh lost 6-5 to Nader Hajaghania
61: Dariush Hazratgholipour lost 4-0 to Rahman Amouzad
65: Zagir Shakhiev beat 5-0 Farzad Amouzad
70: Erfan Elahi beat 11-1 Mohammad Reza Sargoo
74: Saeid Dadashpour beat 7-2 Nima Eshfaghi
79: Saeid Gholami lost 4-1 to Jamal Ebadi
86: Arash Nayyerabadi lost 7-0 to Kamran Ghasempour
92: Mehdi Hajiloueian lost 6-4 to Ahmad Bazri
97: Elizbar Odikadze beat 5-4 Mohammad Javad Ebrahimi
125: Erfan Jafari beat 4-2 Esmaeil Nejatian

we had 3 wrestlers from the world team in this dual + 2 foreign wrestlers. there were 2 world champions (Ghasempour and Shakhiev) but Ghasempour wrestled in his normal bodyweight (86kg) still funny how people already consider him a 92kg (or even 97kg) wrestler.

Ebrahimi was actually better than Odikadze but made a mistake and gave up 4pts on his own attack.

Odikadze is such a spoiler for Iranian wrestlers. What's that now? Wins over reza yazdani, mohammadian, shabani and Ebrahimi? Anyone else?

Well done Goleij for beating him.

Goleij and Mohammadian are the 2 top 97kg in Iran for now, Shabani might get there if he makes some advances.

Kamran and Karimi are too small for 97 unfortunately. I would love to have Yazdani and Kamran in the same olympic team but they are both 86kg wrestlers. We just need more weights at olympics, so we can see what happened in Oslo. 92kg is fine for Kamran.

Edited by Uwwdoc

13 hours ago, Uwwdoc said:

Odikadze is such a spoiler for Iranian wrestlers. What's that now? Wins over reza yazdani, mohammadian, shabani and Ebrahimi? Anyone else?

Well done Goleij for beating him.

Goleij and Mohammadian are the 2 top 97kg in Iran for now, Shabani might get there if he makes some advances.

Kamran and Karimi are too small for 97 unfortunately. I would love to have Yazdani and Kamran in the same olympic team but they are both 86kg wrestlers. We just need more weights at olympics, so we can see what happened in Oslo. 92kg is fine for Kamran.

I’m content with Goleij sticking at 97kg. I say Shabani would be the 2nd Best in Iran. Even though every year with Goleij-Shabani battling it to make the team. Shabani can beat Goleij. But I like Goleij’s chances vs. the World more than Shabani’s. Goleij just missed a win over Snyder by 4 seconds. I know he can beat him if they square off again. It’ll take a miracle for anyone in the globe to beat Sadulaev at the moment. But it’s only Snyder and Goleij that would have the best chance at the moment. Iran is looking very strong for the next who knows how many years. As a number of them at Oslo won Medals and are quite young. Plus won medals in 5/6 Olympic Weights. They are looking bright for Paris 2024! I know their are a number of good Iranian wrestlers that’s challenging to make the team (Javad Ebrahimi, Amin Taheri). Will be challenging when Alireza Karimi-Ghasempour square off just as Shabani-Goleij. Their are others too but the first ones that I think about.

U23 World Champs in Serbia had its first finals today (in GR)

55kg Dad Marz won Silver, losing to Russia 3-1 in the final

63kg Nejati won Bronze, losing only to the gold medalist and beating Russia 8-0 for Bronze

77kg Kaviani unfortunately lost in the final 5-1 to Tamas Levai (the guy who lost to M.A. Geraei 9-0 in Oslo)

87kg Alizadaeh won Bronze, losing only 3-1 to Russia in the first round (Russian dominated everyone else won gold)

130kg Mirzazadeh won Gold, beating Ovaspyan 2-1 in the final (Yousofi beat him 6-1 in Oslo)

Tomorrow's finals

60kg Mohsennejad is in the final vs Russia (2019 Jr World Champion)

67kg Rezaei is in the final vs Jafarov (AZE) (2021 Jr World Champion)

72kg Abdi is in the repechage after losing to Russia early

82kg Naghousi (2019 Jr World Champion) lost a close match 5-3 to GEO in the SF and will wrestle for Bronze

97kg Alghosi is the worst performer, losing to Austria in the first round and is out

I think the GR team title is between Russia and Iran 

I was expecting more from the Greco team. half of these guys were in race to make the senior team. some of them made the senior team before . gold for Mirzazadeh was almost a sure thing, he was good, never had serious problems ins his matches. Dadmarz was disappointing, his par-terre attack doesn't exist at all. Kavianinejad simply lost to a better wrestler.

I see some improvements in Alizadeh, but he has to learn to not start slow. he usually does absolutely nothing in the first period. Nejati also could win the gold, he lost a very close match to Abuladze.

let's see what Mohsennejad and Rezaei can do tomorrow in the final. they were very good in the first day

Can we send Savadkouhi to labor camps in North Korea? damn this guy sucks big time. he was like someone put a gun on his head and forced him to wrestle. I'm OK with the rest of the team losing, most of them are younger than 20 but Savadkouhi was senior team member.

32 minutes ago, The Genius said:

the 97kg kid is the only hope from today, pretty impressive for a 19 year old

For 97 we had Abdollahi at World juniors in August who got Bronze- sounds like he  is better than Abdollahi- I did not get a chance to watch the matches today...

Mohammadnezad at 57kg looked potentially promising. Only 18 yo with a very exciting style, lots of leg attacks and good cardio. He only lost to the 23 yo KGZ and I thought the loss was closer than the score suggested.

Fazli at 70kg didn't do too bad against Akmataliev (3 years older), I'm interested to see how he does tomorrow. But he's not as good as Elahi (who is actually slightly younger than him). 

The 97kg guy was the only guy to reach the final and he looked promising, he's only 19 years old and beat three 23 yos. 

Tomorrow will be exciting. Nurmagamedov (2021 World Bronze) should be a tough match for big Firouzpour, I would be very impressed if he can defeat him at 19 yo and moving up to 92kg. A lot of hope on little Firouzpour at 74kg too, in the same bracket as Kaipanov. 86kg Gholami will probably lose in the first round. The 125kg guy was great in cadets although we already have a lot of great young guys at 125kg. I don't have any hopes for Dastan. 

Have Elahi and little Firouzpour wrestled before? 

Edited by The Genius

Little Firouzpour has really bad leg attacks. In his match against the Austrian he didn't take a shot until 5 mins in and he missed badly and got easily countered and gave up 2. He is strong, technical and relentless with good pressure and cardio, but I'd be surprised if he won gold.

Gholami is in the SF after Abakarov pulls out of the first match with an injury. Very lucky.

Big Firouzpour looks good but has Nurmagamedov in the SF next.

4/5 from today make the SFs, coming up now. 

Edited by The Genius

Big Firouzpour loses as expected in the SF to Nurmagamedov (AZE) 10-7. Firouzpour was down and out 10-0 after 20 seconds but won a challenge to make it 8-0 and came on strong in the second period. 

Nurmagamedov (23 yo) is the #4 guy in the world at 92kg (after Ghasempour Kurbanov and Cox), so there is no shame in that defeat from 19 year old Firouzpour. 

Edited by The Genius