wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

1 hour ago, The Genius said:

Thanks, will be good to see Mohammadnejad Ghiasi and Mohammadian. 

The Russian FS team:

Naifonov is coming. Interesting. Vafaei has been one of Hasan's main training partners last few months. Let's see how he gets on

57 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

Naifonov is coming. Interesting. Vafaei has been one of Hasan's main training partners last few months. Let's see how he gets on

Yazdani and Ghasempour are so young that I almost don't care about Iranian prospects at 86kg. Same for 125kg. Sadly it seems those are where the prospects are concentrated too lol

On 11/18/2021 at 5:30 PM, The Genius said:

Yazdani and Ghasempour are so young that I almost don't care about Iranian prospects at 86kg. Same for 125kg. Sadly it seems those are where the prospects are concentrated too lol

But it will give an indication of the gap between naifonov and Yaz and Taylor. He is the clear number 3 in the division, and younger than both yaz and Taylor. Some people (not me) thought Naifonov would close the gap on Yazdani in Norway after their match in Tokyo. If Vafaei and such beat him then it shows that on the international scene that he won't probably be a threat in the years to come for those 2. I would like to see Taylor and Naifonov soon as well and get a gage of that too.

Ghiasi and Mohammadian won the gold, the rest won 2 silver and 1 bronze.

complete results
http://iawf.ir/Public/iawf.ir/1/results/FS CISM World Military Wrestling Championship- 02.pdf

Mohammadian beat Dzhioev twice 10-0 ! Mohammadnejad almost beat Tuskaev but lost it narrowly

here is the live TV coverage for the morning session, not much to watch, only few interesting matches between Iran and Russia

https://telewebion.com/episode/2700849

Naifanov is an interesting wrestler. He can put in a respectable performance against Yazdani or at least not get destroyed, even had a very good chance to beat him in Tokyo, but he is very unimpressive against everyone else. Couldn't get a takedown on Makoev  Amine at euros and won 2 - 0 off back to back shot clock points (Taheri over Zare style), beat Dauletbekov 3 - 0 in Norway with the only takedown being  off of a terrible Dauletbekov shot attempt. Even his 2 - 0 win in the bronze medal match at the Olympics against the Uzbek that Hassan beat in his opening match. 

Anyway he's 24 now so probably in his prime or just before it, so don't see him catching Hassan unless Hassan really falls off. Actually  I'd be surprised if he made the Russian team too many more times. Seems to have barely made it the past few years winning some very close matchups in the trials, and that doesn't seem sustainable. The guy he beat 8-7 or something in the Olympic trials transferred to Romania though so at least 86kg will get more interesting from next year. 

Edited by Shiraz123

17 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Naifanov is an interesting wrestler. He can put in a respectable performance against Yazdani or at least not get destroyed, even had a very good chance to beat him in Tokyo, but he is very unimpressive against everyone else. Couldn't get a takedown on Makoev  Amine at euros and won 2 - 0 off back to back shot clock points (Taheri over Zare style), beat Dauletbekov 3 - 0 in Norway with the only takedown being  off of a terrible Dauletbekov shot attempt. Even his 2 - 0 win in the bronze medal match at the Olympics against the Uzbek that Hassan beat in his opening match. 

Anyway he's 24 now so probably in his prime or just before it, so don't see him catching Hassan unless Hassan really falls off. Actually  I'd be surprised if he made the Russian team too many more times. Seems to have barely made it the past few years winning some very close matchups in the trials, and that doesn't seem sustainable. The guy he beat 8-7 or something in the Olympic trials transferred to Romania though so at least 86kg will get more interesting from next year. 

I don’t think he makes the Russian team many more times. He is good, but there is probably some Russian 18 year old who will take him out before 2024

5 hours ago, Housebuye said:

I don’t think he makes the Russian team many more times. He is good, but there is probably some Russian 18 year old who will take him out before 2024

I'd be interested to see the match between Naifonov and Punia myself. Or do you think Punia will fall of the radar too?

Teymouri and Mohebbi won the gold, Iran finished with 4 gold medals. Russian won 5, the remaining gold went to Andreasyan of Armenia.

I see Mohebbi is trying a new style. he beat Baran in the final who is a good wrestler but unfortunately for him with Zare and other younger wrestlers around I don't see any chance for him. but it's still good to have several contenders in this weight.

3 hours ago, wrestfan said:

Teymouri and Mohebbi won the gold, Iran finished with 4 gold medals. Russian won 5, the remaining gold went to Andreasyan of Armenia.

I see Mohebbi is trying a new style. he beat Baran in the final who is a good wrestler but unfortunately for him with Zare and other younger wrestlers around I don't see any chance for him. but it's still good to have several contenders in this weight.

I heard they also announced the selection process for the next season for the Worlds and Asian Games.

Given Asian Games only had the Olympic 6 weights and obviously only limited to the Asian countries and coinciding with the Worlds, I reckon Iran can put a strong team at these games without compromising the number 1 guys who should by all in intents and purposes go to the worlds.

Perhaps something like

57kg-This wrestler who finished 2nd at the military games. Or Atri. I reckon Sarlak gets the nod to go to Serbia.

65kg-Amouzad or Ghiasi.

74kg-Hosseinkhani.

86kg-Karimi

97kg-whoever doesn't go to worlds between Goleij and Mohammadian. Heck even Shabani would get gold i reckon if we send him.

125kg-Taheri, Mohebi, our u23. Masoumi. All strong contenders.

I reckon a team like this all do very well without having to sacrifice guys like Yazdani and Ghasempour who should be going to Serbia. That lineup I suggested would get 3 golds minimum and should medal in all 6 imo.

21 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

97kg-whoever doesn't go to worlds between Goleij and Mohammadian. Heck even Shabani would get gold i reckon if we send him.

What about Azarpira the U23 champ? I suspect unfortunately  Mohammadian will ultimately prove a disappointing flash in the pan

37 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

I heard they also announced the selection process for the next season for the Worlds and Asian Games.

Given Asian Games only had the Olympic 6 weights and obviously only limited to the Asian countries and coinciding with the Worlds, I reckon Iran can put a strong team at these games without compromising the number 1 guys who should by all in intents and purposes go to the worlds.

Perhaps something like

57kg-This wrestler who finished 2nd at the military games. Or Atri. I reckon Sarlak gets the nod to go to Serbia.

65kg-Amouzad or Ghiasi.

74kg-Hosseinkhani.

86kg-Karimi

I reckon a team like this all do very well without having to sacrifice guys like Yazdani and Ghasempour who should be going to Serbia. That lineup I suggested would get 3 golds minimum and should medal in all 6 imo.

yes they did and that's indeed complicated, they gave too much advantage to 2021 World medalists IMO

I think you are underestimating Asian wrestlers and also overestimating some of our wrestlers at the same time. Taheri strong contender ? this guy lost to Kyrgyzstan and Egypt recently. U23 Hashemi almost lost to India 2nd tier wrestler. and there is a Mongolian who won bronze in Norway + Deng from China who is a multiple world medalist. our other wrestlers also have a chance to win the gold but only with Zare I'm confident. 97kg and 86kg are probably weaker in Asia but you never know when Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan hire another Russian wrestler.

IWF is trying to convince UWW into changing 2022 Worlds dates , but if that fails they have to think about it. they still don't know which one will have the priority. but I believe the NOC expects wrestling to bring 5 or 6 gold medals (Greco and FS together)

In league news Yaz joined Zob Amol in the league at 86kg.

Interestingly the pharmaceutical company who already has Karimi at 86kg also just signed Naifonov.

So we will likely have matches such as Naifonov Yaz. Karimi and Yaz. Ghasempour vs Karimi/Yaz/Naifonov.

12 hours ago, wrestfan said:

yes they did and that's indeed complicated, they gave too much advantage to 2021 World medalists IMO

I think you are underestimating Asian wrestlers and also overestimating some of our wrestlers at the same time. Taheri strong contender ? this guy lost to Kyrgyzstan and Egypt recently. U23 Hashemi almost lost to India 2nd tier wrestler. and there is a Mongolian who won bronze in Norway + Deng from China who is a multiple world medalist. our other wrestlers also have a chance to win the gold but only with Zare I'm confident. 97kg and 86kg are probably weaker in Asia but you never know when Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan hire another Russian wrestler.

IWF is trying to convince UWW into changing 2022 Worlds dates , but if that fails they have to think about it. they still don't know which one will have the priority. but I believe the NOC expects wrestling to bring 5 or 6 gold medals (Greco and FS together)

Yes. Strong medal contenders. A lineup such as the one I suggested should do well without any of them being the number 1 in the country.

18 hours ago, Uwwdoc said:

Perhaps something like

65kg-Amouzad or Ghiasi.

74kg-Hosseinkhani.

86kg-Karimi

Wasn’t there a tournament where Atri participated at 61kg? I could be mistaken. At 97kg, I say the battle will only be between Goleij - Shabani. Mohammadian doesn’t exist as he’s soft. Mohebi and Taheri are great at 125kg, but no chance against Zare. Their are some other great 2nd rated wrestlers in Iran that could also be world level medal contenders (Javad Ebrahimi 86 or 92kg), Ahmad Bazri. I hoped the Asian Games and World Championships were at least 3 weeks apart. They like the Olympic Medals more, so it tells me Iran will have their A Team at the AG and B team at the WC.

2 hours ago, Seena said:

Wasn’t there a tournament where Atri participated at 61kg? I could be mistaken. At 97kg, I say the battle will only be between Goleij - Shabani. Mohammadian doesn’t exist as he’s soft. Mohebi and Taheri are great at 125kg, but no chance against Zare. Their are some other great 2nd rated wrestlers in Iran that could also be world level medal contenders (Javad Ebrahimi 86 or 92kg), Ahmad Bazri. I hoped the Asian Games and World Championships were at least 3 weeks apart. They like the Olympic Medals more, so it tells me Iran will have their A Team at the AG and B team at the WC.

Hope not though. There is no reason a B team cannot be quite successful as I mentioned without compromising the worlds

Also I ain't willing to rule out Mohammadian like most are now

2 hours ago, Uwwdoc said:

Hope not though. There is no reason a B team cannot be quite successful as I mentioned without compromising the worlds

Also I ain't willing to rule out Mohammadian like most are now

Your right, a number of the B team are World level contenders. But the WC’s would be far more important than the AG’s. But as I mentioned, the country like the Olympic Medals more (despite that being only in Asia vs. the World Championships being the entire globe). I have no faith in Mohammadian. After that terrific performance at the tournament where he beat a number of World and Olympic Medalists including Kyle Snyder. He then slowed down after that. He was horrible at the Olympics, where they should have sent Shabani. Only for a little tournament where Mohammadian last beat Shabani, that was the reason Mohammadian was sent. Besides he’ll forever be a disgrace because of obviously a doping offense. But that’s my feelings about it.

we have the league's final round today

here is the first semifinal results

Fooladin Zob beat Sahand Aras 8-2

57, Reza Atri beat Alireza Sarlak 4-4
61, Peyman Nemati lost to Majid Ramezanpour 2-1
65, Morteza Ghiasi beat Zagir Shakhiev 6-4
70, Erfan Elahi beat AmirHossein Hosseini 7-4
74, Timur Bizhoev beat Mostafa Hosseinkhani 2-2
79, Magomedkhabib Kadimagomedov beat Mohammad Nokhodi 8-7
86, Hadi Vafaeipour lost to Artur Naifonov 12-1
92, AmirHossein Firouzpour beat Alireza Karimi 2-1
97, MohammadHossein Mohammadian beat AmirAli Azarpira 10-0
125, AmirHossein Zare beat Amin Taheri by walkover

H. Yazdani was supposed to wrestle Naifonov today but he didn't go to the weight-in yesterday. everybody was looking for Taheri/Zare but Taheri was a bit coward apparently
the younger Firouzpou also managed to beat Karimi even though it was all caution points.

Ghiasi beat the World Champion Shakhiev, Atri almost managed to lose to Sarlak (when he had 4-2 lead and had him in par-terre position in last 5 seconds)

and Nokhodi lost a big lead to Kadimagomedov. gave up the last takedown in the very last second

Congratulations to Reza Yazdani's team who won the league. I felt they would be slight outsiders to Zob Amol and the pharmaceutical team, but they smashed it.

Have won the league with 4 matches still to go.

One I am very looking forward to is Mohammadian vs Goleij. Imo the top 2 at 97kg and I wonder if Mohammadian will shine here.

Edited by Uwwdoc

Well that probably didn't really help clear things up in my mind more than before.

Mohammadian beats Goleij 3-2. Goleij gets a point in first period on shot clock. Mohammadian gets a point in 2nd period on the shot clock.

Mohammadian done great throughout the match spinning to avoid Goleij push outs but he ends up conceding with 20 seconds to go. Mohammadian goes for a push out/takedown. But the ref calls time. Goleij thinks he has won so does Reza Yazdani but Mohammadian's corner challenge saying Goleij foot went out. Challenge successful and Mohammdian wins on criteria and gets an extra point for the lost challenge. 3-2

Still between these 2 as to who is no 1. Youth is on Goleij side.

Edited by Uwwdoc