Jump to content
wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

Recommended Posts

Finals

Sanaye beat Fooladin Zob 6-4

57, Abasgadzhi Magomedov beat Reza Atri 10-0
61, Rahman Amouzad beat Peyman Nemati 10-0
65, Farzad Amouzad beat Morteza Ghiasi 2-2
70, Magomedrasul Kazimagomedov beat Erfan Elahi 6-0
74, Jamal Ebadi lost to Timur Bizhoev 6-0
79, Ali Savadkouhi beat Magomedkhabib Kadimagomedov 6-5
86, Ahmad Bazri beat Hadi Vafaeipour 11-0
92, MohammadJavad Ebrahimi lost to AmirHossein Firouzpour by walkover
97, Mojtaba Goleij lost to MohammadHossein Mohammadian 3-2
125, Esmaeil Nejatian lost to AmirHossein Zare 5-0

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will have the freestyle national championships next week from Wednesday to Friday

in Iran the nationals usually don't mean much but this time it's an important part of the trials process. only 2021 World medalists are exempt here and everybody else should wrestle here to stand a chance.

the Nationals winners will go the 2022 Asian Championships for sure and if they win the gold they will be in a very good position to make the 2022 Worlds team. (specially in those weights we don't have a 2021 World medalist)

on other news all 2021 World team members went to Dubai for the US visa process. which means Iran will most probably send the same team for that Dual

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, wrestfan said:

We will have the freestyle national championships next week from Wednesday to Friday

in Iran the nationals usually don't mean much but this time it's an important part of the trials process. only 2021 World medalists are exempt here and everybody else should wrestle here to stand a chance.

the Nationals winners will go the 2022 Asian Championships for sure and if they win the gold they will be in a very good position to make the 2022 Worlds team. (specially in those weights we don't have a 2021 World medalist)

on other news all 2021 World team members went to Dubai for the US visa process. which means Iran will most probably send the same team for that Dual

Not just the world team. Firouzpour went, majid Dastan. Even GR 97kg champ Saravi funnily enough. The line up will probably mostly be the world team, but a few others are there too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Uwwdoc said:

Not just the world team. Firouzpour went, majid Dastan. Even GR 97kg champ Saravi funnily enough. The line up will probably mostly be the world team, but a few others are there too.

from what I know from the world team members Amouzad and A. Yazdani are changing weight. no problem at 65kg. Amouzad is going there but Dastan is probably going because 61kg position is vacant now.

and A. Firouzpour going probably means Ghasempour is not still ready to wrestle (or at least that's still a possibility) he missed the league finals because of an injury. Cox will be pissed off if he doesn't see Ghasempour in front of him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What weight will Amouzad and A.Yazdani change to if you know? I’d assume it’s unlikely that they’d go down. Therefore I probably believe Amouzad will go 65kg and A.Yazdani 70kg? If that’s so, I’d like Reza Atri at 61kg and Sarlak retain at 57kg. I wonder if either Ali Savaadkouhi or Mohammad Nokhodi can go 74kg since both can do great at 79kg? I doubt if Mostafa Hosseinkhani can make the team again whichever weight he chooses to participate. 74kg is our weakest at the moment. The rest have a good back up aside from the number 1’s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seena said:

What weight will Amouzad and A.Yazdani change to if you know? I’d assume it’s unlikely that they’d go down. Therefore I probably believe Amouzad will go 65kg and A.Yazdani 70kg? If that’s so, I’d like Reza Atri at 61kg and Sarlak retain at 57kg. I wonder if either Ali Savaadkouhi or Mohammad Nokhodi can go 74kg since both can do great at 79kg? I doubt if Mostafa Hosseinkhani can make the team again whichever weight he chooses to participate. 74kg is our weakest at the moment. The rest have a good back up aside from the number 1’s. 

Yes that's correct. Amouzad is going 65kg and A. Yazdani for 70kg. even though from the pics I saw from Dubai. A. Yazdani and S. Firouzpour are also with the team. so still no idea who is going to wrestle at 70 and 74.

the trial process is a bit complicated

but at 61kg, 65kg, 70kg, 74kg where Iran didn't medal (Iran medalled at 65kg but Yazdani is moving up and will lose his advantage) whoever wins the Nationals will go to the Asian Champs and if he wins the gold in Asia he will automatically advance to the final trial match. he has to wrestle the winner of Takhti Cup to make the world team, if a non-Iranian wrestler wins the Takhti cup, the nationals winner (who is also the Asian Champion) is already selected.

Yazdani, Ghasempour and Zare (last year world gold medalists) are exempt from the Nationals and also the Takhti Cup. they will only face the winner of the Asian Champs and/or Takhti Cup but only if an Iranian wrestler wins gold in those two events. for example if Iranian representative fails to win the gold at 86kg in Asia and a foreign wrestler wins the gold in Takhti Cup at this weight Yazdani is already selected without trials

it's way too complicated with lots of ifs, I just tried to give an idea about how it works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

Yes that's correct. Amouzad is going 65kg and A. Yazdani for 70kg. even though from the pics I saw from Dubai. A. Yazdani and S. Firouzpour are also with the team. so still no idea who is going to wrestle at 70 and 74.

the trial process is a bit complicated

but at 61kg, 65kg, 70kg, 74kg where Iran didn't medal (Iran medalled at 65kg but Yazdani is moving up and will lose his advantage) whoever wins the Nationals will go to the Asian Champs and if he wins the gold in Asia he will automatically advance to the final trial match. he has to wrestle the winner of Takhti Cup to make the world team, if a non-Iranian wrestler wins the Takhti cup, the nationals winner (who is also the Asian Champion) is already selected.

Yazdani, Ghasempour and Zare (last year world gold medalists) are exempt from the Nationals and also the Takhti Cup. they will only face the winner of the Asian Champs and/or Takhti Cup but only if an Iranian wrestler wins gold in those two events. for example if Iranian representative fails to win the gold at 86kg in Asia and a foreign wrestler wins the gold in Takhti Cup at this weight Yazdani is already selected without trials

it's way too complicated with lots of ifs, I just tried to give an idea about how it works.

All the weight classes then are very much granted a Medal favorite except 74kg. Emamali can’t go back to 70kg and not very experienced for 74kg. So 74kg is our least chance of Medalling. Our team is strong for who knows how many years to come and proud of them.

Edited by Seena
Correct a name

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can any statements by public figures in Iran be taken literally and sincerely? I'm assuming everyone has to go through the motions of repeating the government's opinions when speaking about America, rather than their own, the same way Iranian wrestlers are forced to forfeit matches against Israeli opponents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jon_Kozak said:

Can any of our Iranian friends give their opinion on this? Is he really saying "Death to America"...anything lost in translation?

After doing a quick google search, I understand the slogan as protesting the American government and their interference or influence with Iran.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jon_Kozak said:

Can any of our Iranian friends give their opinion on this? Is he really saying "Death to America"...anything lost in translation?

"death to America" Yes, that's the exact word he is using

it's hard to explain for non-Iranian people but nowadays it has a different meaning after being used for 40 years. obviously a country can't die, it's just a slogan ( a disgusting one without doubt)

I think if you listen to the whole interview in that part he is talking about something like "if everybody does his job our country will be good and that way we can beat US policy against Iran". when he says "act on it" he doesn't mean killing America, he means doing your job as a doctor or whatever job you are doing. to make the country better and show the USA (the US government obviously) that we can live even under your very strict sanctions. he actually means stop just shouting that slogan and do your best for the country.

that was my best try to explain what's the meaning. word to word translation isn't accurate sometimes

and btw Dabir isn't just a former wrestler, he was into politics before so no he is not under pressure. (nobody is really) he says these kind of things sometimes. he pretends to be super religious (I don't believe he is, he just pretends)

Edited by wrestfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

"death to America" Yes, that's the exact word he is using

it's hard to explain for non-Iranian people but nowadays it has a different meaning after being used for 40 years. obviously a country can't die, it's just a slogan ( a disgusting one without doubt)

I think if you listen to the whole interview in that part he is talking about something like "if everybody does his job our country will be good and that way we can beat US policy against Iran". when he says "act on it" he doesn't mean killing America, he means doing your job as a doctor or whatever job you are doing. to make the country better and show the USA (the US government obviously) that we can live even under your very strict sanctions. he actually means stop just shouting that slogan and do your best for the country.

that was my best try to explain what's the meaning. word to word translation isn't accurate sometimes

and btw Dabir isn't just a former wrestler, he was into politics before so no he is not under pressure. (nobody is really) he says these kind of things sometimes. he pretends to be super religious (I don't believe he is, he just pretends)

thanks you for this explanation, very much appreciated! 

When you say Dabir is not under pressure, am I correct and taking that to mean he has not been given strict orders by anyone to say specific things in the interview with harsh consequences if he does not comply? However, would it also be fair to say that he would face consequences if he spoke in more positive terms about the United States? Or more specifically, would it be possible for him to explain to an American audience more or less what you explained in your post? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

thanks you for this explanation, very much appreciated! 

When you say Dabir is not under pressure, am I correct and taking that to mean he has not been given strict orders by anyone to say specific things in the interview with harsh consequences if he does not comply? However, would it also be fair to say that he would face consequences if he spoke in more positive terms about the United States? Or more specifically, would it be possible for him to explain to an American audience more or less what you explained in your post? 

you are welcome

the politics in Iran is way too complicated, you are not free to say whatever you want but it's not North Korea nor China. people criticize the regime everyday.

yes that's very true. 99.99% of the times (there are very rare examples about forced confessions but that's a completely different story, national security matters, etc) nobody forces you to say something. low rank officials usually say those kind of things for their own benefit. that will help them to get promotions.

but yes if you are a famous person or a journalist you have to watch out what you are saying. I mean ordinary people can say whatever they want in their social media etc. nobody really cares but when you say something on TV or in your newspaper you have to be careful.

lots of people here say good things about US wrestling trial system, mostly believe that's something we should follow too. but praising the whole country of USA in general is something you shouldn't do if you are working directly or indirectly for the government. let's imagine what would happen if Dabir says "oh I love America, I love their lifestyle, I love everything about that country" if he is lucky his comments will go unnoticed but if not he would lose his job in 2 or 3 weeks. of course nobody is going to jail for just saying that. no way

and about the last question, I highly doubt he ever wants to do that. I doubt he cares about the American audience that much to go explain things (which will weaken his position in Iran) he will probably call off the whole trip if someone in US government tries to question him about that interview for example. and that's exactly what that guy with twitter account wants, I know him, he wants everything cancelled. that's his mission.

Edited by wrestfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The freedom of speech is not absolute anywhere really. There are always redlines, say  in a message board like this comments may be removed for example if you put forward speculative suggestions that may be against some corporate interests .  It is the degree by which freedom of speech is limited that varies from county to country sometimes through legal means in more 'normal' countries and  sometimes through political systems in more authoritarian systems. In case of Iran the limits to freedom of expression are far greater than the Western world of course and based on rancid self serving ideologies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure nobody forced him to say that, just seems it is his personality. There was that clip from worlds recently where he said something about Sunni Muslims that caused controversy also. I thought they were all meant to be Muslim brothers but I wouldn't know, i'm not involved in that stuff. And as Wrestfan said he won't make some big public apology or explanation because it doesn't benefit him to do so. Maybe if some of the American coaches/ federation people confront him about it in Texas he will explain himself privately but nothing more. 

Has to be awkward for him, though. I'm sure he isn't too happy (or won't be when he finds out) that all the American wrestling people will have seen that clip.  This isn't the 80s where you can say something in some random TV interview and everyone will forget it. Probably just said it to get some more favour with the government and it ended up on the internet.

Anyway maybe he promoted the event here. If the American fans know about it then I assume the wrestlers will also hear about it, maybe they will talk back and it will create more interest in the event. I know there has been trash talk in wrestling before but this has to be the first time the head of the federation is involved, and saying death to the other country of all things. LOL . In the end Iran is probably going to lose the dual anyway so you guys can make fun of Dabir's comment after, lol.

 

Btw it's not just negative comments, Mohsen Kaveh ( technical director of the freestyle team) claims America right now is even stronger than Russia! I don't agree ( I think Russia is the best team, then USA, then Iran) but that is a very positive comment lol. 

 

http://iwf.ir/Content/Content.aspx?PageCode=62624&th=

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, wrestfan said:

"death to America" Yes, that's the exact word he is using

it's hard to explain for non-Iranian people but nowadays it has a different meaning after being used for 40 years. obviously a country can't die, it's just a slogan ( a disgusting one without doubt)

I think if you listen to the whole interview in that part he is talking about something like "if everybody does his job our country will be good and that way we can beat US policy against Iran". when he says "act on it" he doesn't mean killing America, he means doing your job as a doctor or whatever job you are doing. to make the country better and show the USA (the US government obviously) that we can live even under your very strict sanctions. he actually means stop just shouting that slogan and do your best for the country.

that was my best try to explain what's the meaning. word to word translation isn't accurate sometimes

and btw Dabir isn't just a former wrestler, he was into politics before so no he is not under pressure. (nobody is really) he says these kind of things sometimes. he pretends to be super religious (I don't believe he is, he just pretends)

to add to this, it's my understanding that the "death to america" chant is a common mistranslation into english revolving around the farsi word "marg" which does mean "death." But the full chant is "marg bar amrika." the combination "marg bar" most correctly translates to "down." so the most accurate translation of the chant into english would be "down with america."

in the context of the clip, this is really similar to the way we all used to get jazzed up for sports matches with the soviets. iran and the u.s. are geopolitcal rivals with a long history. that rivalry extends naturally to sports. so he's actually just saying, we're going to put "down with america" into action on the mat by winning this dual. we also have a long history of mutual respect with the iranian wrestling community. iranian fans love american wrestlers. they don't love american sanctions or regime change. you have to do some crazy mental gymnastics to believe they want to murder american citizens.

i'm sure there will be some clowns out there that run with this like it's a death threat because it presses the political buttons in their brain that make them feel good, but that's unfortunate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

to add to this, it's my understanding that the "death to america" chant is a common mistranslation into english revolving around the farsi word "marg" which does mean "death." But the full chant is "marg bar amrika." the combination "marg bar" most correctly translates to "down." so the most accurate translation of the chant into english would be "down with america."

in the context of the clip, this is really similar to the way we all used to get jazzed up for sports matches with the soviets. iran and the u.s. are geopolitcal rivals with a long history. that rivalry extends naturally to sports. so he's actually just saying, we're going to put "down with america" into action on the mat by winning this dual. we also have a long history of mutual respect with the iranian wrestling community. iranian fans love american wrestlers. they don't love american sanctions or regime change. you have to do some crazy mental gymnastics to believe they want to murder american citizens.

i'm sure there will be some clowns out there that run with this like it's a death threat because it presses the political buttons in their brain that make them feel good, but that's unfortunate.

no

this interview has nothing to do with this dual or wrestling in general. it was the second anniversary of Soleimani's killing and apparently it was a show talking with people about how we can keep his memory alive. and Dabir (who apparently had a kind of friendship with Soleimani) is saying whoever does his job properly is making his country better and therefore that's how we can keep his memory alive instead of just shouting "Death to America" while doing nothing else for the country

some people intentionally cut only that part of the interview and used word by word translation to make it looks like something else and it seems that worked very well for them

Edited by wrestfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

no

this interview has nothing to do with this dual or wrestling in general. it was the second anniversary of Soleimani's killing and apparently it was a show talking with people about how we can keep his memory alive. and Dabir (who apparently had a kind of friendship with Soleimani) is saying whoever does his job properly is making his country better and therefore that's how we can keep his memory alive instead of just shouting "Death to America" while doing nothing else for the country

some people intentionally cut only that part of the interview and used word by word translation to make it looks like something else and it seems that worked very well for them

yes this was my point. i think we’re in agreement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wrestfan said:

no

this interview has nothing to do with this dual or wrestling in general. it was the second anniversary of Soleimani's killing and apparently it was a show talking with people about how we can keep his memory alive. and Dabir (who apparently had a kind of friendship with Soleimani) is saying whoever does his job properly is making his country better and therefore that's how we can keep his memory alive instead of just shouting "Death to America" while doing nothing else for the country

some people intentionally cut only that part of the interview and used word by word translation to make it looks like something else and it seems that worked very well for them

I agree-Dabir seems to be a victim of selective editing. it also happened a few months ago when he was having a meeting with some industrialists in Mazandaran- He was telling them that the standard of wrestling training and participation was going down in Mazandaran and they should help with building it back up by helping provide resources and money etc. They edited out the bit he was asking them for support and did really make it sound as if he was completely bad mouthing the standards of wrestling training and participation in Mazandaran in front of a group of influential people in the province. It was only when I saw the fuller discussion that the whole thing became more clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, I have a favor to ask 

I have a friend whose son really wants an Iranian wrestling singlet.  He wrestles 55 Kg.

Are you any of you in a position to get one for him and ship it the US?  I will reimburse you for all expenses.

@Uwwdoc, do you have any connections who could help?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, irani said:

Guys, I have a favor to ask 

I have a friend whose son really wants an Iranian wrestling singlet.  He wrestles 55 Kg.

Are you any of you in a position to get one for him and ship it the US?  I will reimburse you for all expenses.

@Uwwdoc, do you have any connections who could help?

 

Info@majidshop.ir

Drop them a line, it's a contact email for majid sportswear who makes most of the Iran singlets. I'm sure you can get it no problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...