wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

Hamdi Abbas has a shot at Bronze, however pretty slim as he has to win two matches just to get to the bronze match.

Last year was pretty dismal for Iran as well. 1 gold in FS and 3 bronze in GR. This year 3 bronze in FS and likely 0 medals in GR.

Whats going on? 

4 minutes ago, krazzy said:

Hamdi Abbas has a shot at Bronze, however pretty slim as he has to win two matches just to get to the bronze match.

Last year was pretty dismal for Iran as well. 1 gold in FS and 3 bronze in GR. This year 3 bronze in FS and likely 0 medals in GR.

Whats going on? 

who are you talking about?????

Sounds like Khadem is out again. Can any of our Iranian friends shed some light on this news? I'm just trying to translate IG posts with google but sounds like Khadem wanted to quit last March but came back out of respect to the provincial coaches but now is done and so are a few other people in the Iranian Wrestling Federation. From what I can tell, Khadem was saying that the government does not give them enough support and resources to live up to expectations. 

1 hour ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

Sounds like Khadem is out again. Can any of our Iranian friends shed some light on this news? I'm just trying to translate IG posts with google but sounds like Khadem wanted to quit last March but came back out of respect to the provincial coaches but now is done and so are a few other people in the Iranian Wrestling Federation. From what I can tell, Khadem was saying that the government does not give them enough support and resources to live up to expectations. 

Yes he quit once again, this time due to the poor financial resources available to the wrestling federation.  I don't think he will come back this time. He quit a few months ago over the Karimi - Israel thing but then was convinced to come back. Now he quit again and after the news came out a lot of others also resigned, not only in FS but even the GR coaches are gone and also the entire technical committee. 

If the financial and training conditions are as poor as they say I doubt anyone else will be able to do much better.  Maybe some wrestlers who were not friendly wth Khadem will be used more but not much other than that. 

16 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Yes he quit once again, this time due to the poor financial resources available to the wrestling federation.  I don't think he will come back this time. He quit a few months ago over the Karimi - Israel thing but then was convinced to come back. Now he quit again and after the news came out a lot of others also resigned, not only in FS but even the GR coaches are gone and also the entire technical committee. 

If the financial and training conditions are as poor as they say I doubt anyone else will be able to do much better.  Maybe some wrestlers who were not friendly wth Khadem will be used more but not much other than that. 

other countries have terrible funding too but still have done better lately, how much funding you need to wrestle on a mat and do training exercises or go run in the moutains?

On 11/1/2018 at 7:51 AM, The Genius said:

other countries have terrible funding too but still have done better lately, how much funding you need to wrestle on a mat and do training exercises or go run in the moutains?

Funding is critical, especially for a home grown team like Iran's. With the current political situation with Iran, their currency is devalued as well, meaning it is even more difficult for them to travel internationally.

Lets look at the US. We became a powerhouse recently a few years after wrestling funding dramatically increased. Granted, this was mostly private funding, but it doesn't change the merit of the argument.

Edited by Housebuye

Iranian fans - what would've happened this year if an Iranian wrestler ended up against an Israeli wrestler? There were 2 Israelis in the field this year, so it was possible.

Not trying to stir up anything political - just trying to understand if any changes were made since the debacle.

Also (sorry for the multiple posts) I actually thought Iran did better than most expected this year. 4 bronze medals from that team is solid. Plus, you scored that huge win over Turkey at heavyweight. 

Iran is also doing very well on the junior stage. I expect Iran to be on par with where they used to be within 2-3 years.

5 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Iranian fans - what would've happened this year if an Iranian wrestler ended up against an Israeli wrestler? There were 2 Israelis in the field this year, so it was possible.

Not trying to stir up anything political - just trying to understand if any changes were made since the debacle.

Nothing changed, they will still forfeit the match. This goes beyond the wrestling federation all the way to the top of the corrupt Islamic Republic, who do not care about wrestling. However now the IOC is aware of it and I believe Iran will be punished more severely than what happened last time (Karimi banned for 6 months and his coach for 2 years). It didn't happen this year but it's inevitable (unless UWW starts fixing the brackets to avoid controversy) that they will draw Israel again at some point. 

I think the big issue last time is that the Iranian coach had their wrestler purpose lose in the middle of a match so they didn't have to wrestle Israel.  That's what set UWW off.  I don't think the forefit before the match starts is going to have the same level of punishment. 

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 3:54 AM, The Genius said:

I didn't know there was an Iran section, all this time I was posting with the Americans 

Salaam everyone

Geraei looks good, but has a tough QF draw, same with Nouri. Abdevali will have a tough bronze match presumably against Manukyan 

Welcome to this thread.  Wrestfan and Shirazi are encyclopedia's of Iran Wrestling news, and we learn a lot from them.

It's also great to post and exchange ideas with our non Iranian friends on this board.  They are mostly knowledgeable wrestling fans, and it's great to interact with them. 

Summary of day 1 FS:

Sarlak in the repechage against Mueller (USA) at 57kg 

Ghiasi is in the bronze medal match at 65kg (Ghiasi lost 4-4 on criteria against last year's senior world champion from Japan in the SF)

Shabani is in the bronze medal match at 97kg (Shabani got teched 10-0 in the SF)

70kg and 79kg are over

Edited by The Genius

Summary of U23 FS:

57kg: Sarlak went 0-2, lost to the gold medalist Hasegawa (JPN) 1-2 then lost to Mueller (USA) 15-16 in the repechage in a crazy match

61kg: former Junior champ Sadeghi went 3-2, ultimately lost to Liu (CHN) 3-3 on criteria in the Bronze medal match after a very dodgy challenge won by Liu in the last 3 seconds... 

65kg: Ghiasi went 3-2, lost 4-4 on criteria against gold medalist Higuchi (JPN), then lost 6-0 to Duduev (RUS) in the Bronze medal match 

70kg: Amiri went bust 0-1

74kg: Zanganeh went 2-1 and won Bronze 

79kg: Asghari went bust 0-1

86kg: Ghasempour went 4-0 and won Gold, beating Naifonov (RUS) 4-1 in the final (Naifonov won European Gold but then lost to Kurugliev in the Russian trials who was chosen above Naifonov for world's, after Kurugliev lost to Taylor and Yazdani many Russians were saying Naifonov should have gone instead, but looks like Kurugliev deserved it), Ghasempour looks like a real talent 

92kg: Shahbazi went 3-1 and won Bronze, lost to Sotiev (RUS) 10-10 on criteria after a challenge in the last 2 seconds... Then beat Mtsituri (GEO) 4-2 in the Bronze medal match 

97kg: Shabani went 3-1 and won Bronze, lost to gold medalist Givi (GEO) 10-0 but beat Yang (CHN) 11-0 in the Bronze medal match

125kg: Taheri went 3-1 and won Bronze, lost to gold medalist Gamidov (RUS) 2-3 but beat Kamil (POL) 8-0 in the Bronze medal match

Overall: 5 medals (1 gold and 4 bronze), 2 losses in the Bronze medal match and some unlucky losses too, a good showing in the FS overall (at the U23 GR Iran won 4 medals, all bronze).

Out of the 40 wrestlers to be sent to senior and U23 worlds Iran had one finalist and one gold. Ghasempour is an incredible  young wrestler and would be the favourite against anyone at the 86 outside of Taylor and Yazdani.  

One of the coaches, Jokar, talked about the results and i'm not sure if he is delusional and believes what he says or he's just talking to make it seem like they did a better job. He claims they could have got 4 golds. 

Sadeghi 61 - Yes, the robbed him in the semi final vs America. This is what happens when you have no lobby in UWW and go up against a country that does. However it has to be said that Sadeghi is a horrible wrestler. I have no idea how this guy won junior worlds twice and not even with much trouble. I'm not sure what his style is. If it's defensive why does he give up points at crucial moments? If it's offensive why doesn't he do anything  the entire match unless he's about to lose? They have given him a lot of chances over the past few years and I think after this tournament it is enough. No way he would have beat the Russian if he made the final. 

Ghiasi 65 - Higuchi has to be the smallest 65 I have ever seen. Jokar claims Higuchi apologised to them after the match and admitted Ghiasi should have been given 2 points. Ghiasi then lost to Russia 6 - 0 for bronze. Higuchi won the gold over Azerbaijan 7 - 4. 

Shahbazi 92 - The Russian took him down in the last seconds to win on criteria. I'm not sure what they are complaining about. It looked like a clear takedown to me. The Russian then lost to Azerbaijan in the final. 

125 - Taheri controlled the match against Russia for six minutes and did nothing with it. When you control a guy for the whole match and move him around the mat if you can't get one takedown then you deserve to lose the match on a last second takedown. They claim the Russian should have been disqualified for punching Taheri. 

Edited by Shiraz123

I wasn't around for a while and I see nobody mentioned this but Rasoul Khadem resigned as IAWF president and also as the freestyle head coach. also the Greco coach resigned .

the new coaches are not new at all. Gholamreza Mohammadi for freestyle and guess who ? Mohammad Banna for the Greco team.

as much as I like Khadem but he was in a dead-end . he was too stubborn to change his style which wasn't working obviously. this will change so many things about the Iranian wrestling . positive or negative we will find out soon. so many people believe that having too much competitions really exhausted the wrestlers for the main competition. having pre-trial round. 1st round, final round. so many other competitions. some people think he killed their confidence by dictating them everything from the strategy, training style. etc. as you can see Iranian wrestlers lost SO MANY matches in last 10 seconds. I believe mostly because of lack of confidence.

Banna already announced he doesn't believe in trial system and he will chose his team. 

2 hours ago, wrestfan said:

I wasn't around for a while and I see nobody mentioned this but Rasoul Khadem resigned as IAWF president and also as the freestyle head coach. also the Greco coach resigned .

the new coaches are not new at all. Gholamreza Mohammadi for freestyle and guess who ? Mohammad Banna for the Greco team.

as much as I like Khadem but he was in a dead-end . he was too stubborn to change his style which wasn't working obviously. this will change so many things about the Iranian wrestling . positive or negative we will find out soon. so many people believe that having too much competitions really exhausted the wrestlers for the main competition. having pre-trial round. 1st round, final round. so many other competitions. some people think he killed their confidence by dictating them everything from the strategy, training style. etc. as you can see Iranian wrestlers lost SO MANY matches in last 10 seconds. I believe mostly because of lack of confidence.

Banna already announced he doesn't believe in trial system and he will chose his team. 

Wrestfan good to see you. I thought you had enough after the world championships LOL! 

Edited by Shiraz123

10 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Out of the 40 wrestlers to be sent to senior and U23 worlds Iran had one finalist and one gold. Ghasempour is an incredible  young wrestler and would be the favourite against anyone at the 86 outside of Taylor and Yazdani.  

One of the coaches, Jokar, talked about the results and i'm not sure if he is delusional and believes what he says or he's just talking to make it seem like they did a better job. He claims they could have got 4 golds.

sometimes you are too harsh,  he says they were "capable" of winning 4 gold medals which I agree with him. all those 4 guys you mentioned were capable of winning the golds if they were just a bit smarter. yeah I believe only Sadeghi got robbed. for others it was 50/50 calls which always go against Iranians.  even though in Ghiasi's case I wonder how come they annulled his 2pts gut wrench. I assume they see the same video we see on live stream and from that camera angle it was impossible to judge. the center ref who was watching it closely gave him the points.

and as you know wrestling is not math, just because the Russian guy won his final easily that doesn't mean he could beat Sadeghi easily too. Sadeghi enjoys to makes his matches close but yeah I agree with you he is a horrible wrestler.

I don't know what to say about Shahbazi. he made all of his last 3 matches close. if you remember he almost lost to Japan in QF. he was leading 2-1 and the Japanese guy grabbed his leg but the clock just saved him. he could finish off all of those 3 matches earlier. this is unbelievable to come back from being 7-0 down and still lose that match ! when he took the lead he could easily score another takedown to finish Sotiev. he is a good wrestler but if he wants to continue like this there is no future for him. and btw how come he lost weight at this age !? he won the Worlds Junior at 97kg.

I like to see Foroutan in the senior team next year, he wrestled in the league final in super heavyweight (because they had Baitsaev in Foroutan's weight, he had to move up) against Sadeghzadeh probably 30kg heavier than himself and almost beat him. lost only 8-7.

one more thing, they Russian-Slovak guy who beat Emami at the Worlds by a last second controversial call (to me BS call) won this tournament quite easily. even at the Worlds that guy lost only 1-1 to Jakubishvili (both points by cautions). maybe Emami wasn't that bad after all lol

Edited by wrestfan