Jump to content
wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

Recommended Posts

looks like we had some fights between the fans and police after 92kg and also 125kg finals. (it was supposed to be behind the closed doors with no spectators allowed but the stadium wasn't obviously empty)

the 92kg final specially became very controversial because of that last call. today they reviewed the match by 8 international referees and confirmed the original result. A.H. Firouzpour is going to the Asian Championships.

I still think the call was NOT correct, but who I am if 8 UWW referees say something else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

.......today they reviewed the match by 8 international referees ......

Oh- 8 Referees?! That was a close shave what if 4 said the result is suspect and 4 upholding the result?

Personally I would have gone with 3 or 5 or 7 ( presumably 9 will be overdoing it?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

the 92kg final specially became very controversial because of that last call. today they reviewed the match by 8 international referees and confirmed the original result. A.H. Firouzpour is going to the Asian Championships.

 

This also begs another question- Bazri is a tall guys so has the frame to go up to 97 Kg even- Will that be a good move? could he pose competition for Golij et al? or even have a shot at favourable international results against Snyder or Sadulaev?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, window12 said:

Oh- 8 Referees?! That was a close shave what if 4 said the result is suspect and 4 upholding the result?

they say it was 5-3 in favor of Firouzpour

no idea what would happen in case of 4-4. probably keeping the initial score

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dabir had a press conference today, talking about so many things. talking about so many things but most questions were about the US dual

he made it clear that even if one person denies visa he will cancel the whole trip. he also said he gave up his green card 7 years ago

he also said he wants to invite the US team for the Takhti Cup and if they come he will guarantee giving them visa at the airport.

when he was asked if this whole trip benefits the team or not, he said USA and Russia have stronger teams, any match with them will benefit Iran, and we can learn. doesn't matter if we lose.

he also talked about sending A or B teams to the Worlds and the Asian Games. he said the NOC can't decide for them. he, coaches and wrestlers will decide about it later. which means it's up to the wrestlers to pick a tournament.
Dabir himself went to the 2002 Asian Games few weeks after winning the silver at the World Championship in Tehran and got injured there. which eventually ended his career. today he said he won't let that happen again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dabir has been a member of the City Council since 2006 and we know that all of them take part in the Quds Day rally every year and chant Death to America. So why did he give up his green card only seven years ago? Why did he keep it all these years? Of course I think he is lying. His green card may be revoked based on grounds (of which I am not aware). any way, whatever happens is in his favor...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iran is going to send a team to "Dan Kolov" event in Bulgaria. it's the "Sahand Aras" club which finished 3rd at the league but IAWF managed to add few other wrestlers to the list. to somehow test them in international competitions

Momeni, Hazratgholizadeh and Mostafavi those who won the nationals and will wrestle at the Asian Championships will have their international debut in Bulgaria. beside them Aras club will bring some other guys like Taheri, Shahbazi, Hajiloueian, Azarpira, A.H. Hosseini and Ramezanpour.

on other news Alireza Karimi who missed the nationals officially asked for a chance to wrestle at the Takhti Cup trials. per rules whoever missed the Nationals will miss the whole 2022 season but Karimi claims he was injured and apparently has enough proofs for that. he will most probably allowed to wrestle in Takhti Cup qualifiers (still don't know 86 or 92)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it looks like the US Iran match will not be as exciting as we had hoped.  If this article is correct مبارزه تیلور و یزدانی منتفی شد! (khabarvarzeshi.com)

There is no Taylor, so no Yazdani/Taylor rematch.

Also, heavyweight US is TBD, so no guarantee that that Gable Stevenson will wrestle

So in my mind, the only interesting matches will be Cox/Ghassempour, and Snyder/Golej.

65 kg will also be interesting Yani vs Amouzad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, irani said:

So it looks like the US Iran match will not be as exciting as we had hoped.  If this article is correct مبارزه تیلور و یزدانی منتفی شد! (khabarvarzeshi.com)

That article is correct. The US lineup was officially announced (except for 125).

U.S. men’s freestyle team

57 kg: Thomas Gilman (State College, Pa./Nittany Lion WC/Titan Mercury WC)

61 kg: Daton Fix (Sand Springs, Okla./Cowboy RTC/Titan Mercury WC)

65 kg: Yianni Diakomihalis (Rochester, N.Y./Spartan Combat WC/Titan Mercury WC)

70 kg: James Green (Blacksburg, Va./Southeast RTC/Titan Mercury WC) 

74 kg: Jason Nolf (State College, Pa./Nittany Lion WC)

79 kg: Jordan Burroughs (Philadelphia, Pa./Pennsylvania RTC/Sunkist Kids)

86 kg: Zahid Valencia (Tempe, Ariz./Sunkist Kids)

92 kg: J'den Cox (Colorado Springs, Colo./USOPTC/Cliff Keen WC/Titan Mercury WC)

97 kg: Kyle Snyder (State College, Pa./Nittany Lion WC/Titan Mercury WC)

125 kg: TBA

G'Angelo Hancock was also announced as the US rep for the single Greco match slated for the event. His opponent is TBD but the plan is an Iranian. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Gilman will beat Sarlak like 7 - 2 or something, then Fix will tech/destroy Dastan and get the crowd hyped up, no idea what will happen with the Amouzad match, can he control Yianni like Tevanyan did? Either way USA will have momentum at this point so I will just pick Yianni. Not sure who's going at 70, Yazdani vs Green would be very entertaining but Elahi can probably beat him in a more boring match with his underhook, I'll say Nolf beats Emami, Burroughs beats Nokhodi, Yazdani beats Valencia, Ghasempour beats Cox, Goleij beats Snyder, who will be coming off the Yarygin and always loses outside of worlds, and we'll see who wrestles HW. If Steveson doesn't go hopefully they don't send Gwiz. 

3 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

 

G'Angelo Hancock was also announced as the US rep for the single Greco match slated for the event. His opponent is TBD but the plan is an Iranian. 

It's Saravi, he just won worlds and got bronze in the olympics. He was in Dubai to get the visa with the FS team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

That article is correct. The US lineup was officially announced (except for 125).

U.S. men’s freestyle team

57 kg: Thomas Gilman (State College, Pa./Nittany Lion WC/Titan Mercury WC)

61 kg: Daton Fix (Sand Springs, Okla./Cowboy RTC/Titan Mercury WC)

65 kg: Yianni Diakomihalis (Rochester, N.Y./Spartan Combat WC/Titan Mercury WC)

70 kg: James Green (Blacksburg, Va./Southeast RTC/Titan Mercury WC) 

74 kg: Jason Nolf (State College, Pa./Nittany Lion WC)

79 kg: Jordan Burroughs (Philadelphia, Pa./Pennsylvania RTC/Sunkist Kids)

86 kg: Zahid Valencia (Tempe, Ariz./Sunkist Kids)

92 kg: J'den Cox (Colorado Springs, Colo./USOPTC/Cliff Keen WC/Titan Mercury WC)

97 kg: Kyle Snyder (State College, Pa./Nittany Lion WC/Titan Mercury WC)

125 kg: TBA

G'Angelo Hancock was also announced as the US rep for the single Greco match slated for the event. His opponent is TBD but the plan is an Iranian. 

Why is Taylor missing the match?  Injury or bad timing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shiraz123 said:

I think Gilman will beat Sarlak like 7 - 2 or something, then Fix will tech/destroy Dastan and get the crowd hyped up, no idea what will happen with the Amouzad match, can he control Yianni like Tevanyan did? Either way USA will have momentum at this point so I will just pick Yianni. Not sure who's going at 70, Yazdani vs Green would be very entertaining but Elahi can probably beat him in a more boring match with his underhook, I'll say Nolf beats Emami, Burroughs beats Nokhodi, Yazdani beats Valencia, Ghasempour beats Cox, Goleij beats Snyder, who will be coming off the Yarygin and always loses outside of worlds, and we'll see who wrestles HW. If Steveson doesn't go hopefully they don't send Gwiz. 

It's Saravi, he just won worlds and got bronze in the olympics. He was in Dubai to get the visa with the FS team. 

What are people expecting for Saravi v Hancock.  Competitive? Not the same level?

The US head coach said that Hancock beats Szoke 19 times out of 20. Thats the public face US greco is putting on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HawkY said:

What are people expecting for Saravi v Hancock.  Competitive? Not the same level?

The US head coach said that Hancock beats Szoke 19 times out of 20. Thats the public face US greco is putting on. 

Personally I don't see it being competitive. I feel Saravi is on a whole other level tbh. Only really think Evolev and Aleksanyan can beat him. Good experience for Hancock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HawkY said:

What are people expecting for Saravi v Hancock.  Competitive? Not the same level?

The US head coach said that Hancock beats Szoke 19 times out of 20. Thats the public face US greco is putting on. 

I guess it depends on their physical situations, it matters a lot in Greco (more than freestyle) I don't know how prepared they are for this match to have a prediction.

but Hancock is a tough guy. he always can take a 1-1 win (or even better because he can actually score) against anybody including Saravi, Aleksanyan and Evloev. but he needs to survive Saravi's gut wrench which is his main weapon.

and no way Hancock beats Szoke 19 out of 20. I would say Szoke wins 11 out of 20. I still can't believe how come both of them lost to Michalik (who sucks in my opinion) in Tokyo.

Edited by wrestfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Uwwdoc said:

Personally I don't see it being competitive. I feel Saravi is on a whole other level tbh. Only really think Evolev and Aleksanyan can beat him. Good experience for Hancock.

Looks that way. Aleksanyan still around? He gave a cryptic answer at the Olympics. Wrestling careers are getting longer but his body falling apart for years now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wrestfan said:

I guess it depends on their physical situations, it matters a lot in Greco (more than freestyle) I don't know how prepared they are for this match to have a prediction.

but Hancock is a tough guy. he always can take a 1-1 win (or even better because he can actually score) against anybody including Saravi, Aleksanyan and Evloev. but he needs to survive Saravi's gut wrench which is his main weapon.

and no way Hancock beats Szoke 19 out of 20. I would say Szoke wins 11 out of 20. I still can't believe how come both of them lost to Michalik (who sucks in my opinion) in Tokyo.

I assume wrestlers are peaking and go all out for worlds/oly, continentals , domestic trials, and qualifiers. This match won't be in that category so regardless of what happens that hangs over it. 

So does Evloev. His lifts from par terre are his main weapon. It is also his biggest weakness. Saravi has turned him from top. 

Not much from Michalik. His best wins up to then were Tudliev and Saleev? His highest places at worlds were with weak draws and he got destroyed in matches.  

Just a Euro bronze for major silverware. Euro bronze has sort of become the bare standard of long term country rep at mediocre wrestling countries. Big present for him these games. I heard a lot of these countries give payments for life if you medal at the olympics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So why no official full line up from either team with just over 2 weeks to go? 

I assume Gable isn't coming/ they're having a hard time coming to an agreement. They'd want to promote that match far in advance. Hopefully me saying that jinxes it and he does come. 

Iran also. Is Ghasempour going or Firouzpour? I assume they don't take both to America and then decide in Texas who wrestles, but they both went and got the visa. Iran usually doesn't even send training partners to worlds, let alone a friendly dual meet. 

Edited by Shiraz123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, irani said:

In my opinion, there is no way that Gable will show up.  He is just using this to get publicity for his WWE career

Don't think WWE fans would know/care either way. I agree he likely has eyes on his other goals and isn't fully invested in wrestling anymore after accomplishing the biggest goal in the sport. He still wrestles for his college, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shiraz123 said:

Don't think WWE fans would know/care either way. I agree he likely has eyes on his other goals and isn't fully invested in wrestling anymore after accomplishing the biggest goal in the sport. He still wrestles for his college, though. 

being in the news helps sell tickets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, irani said:

being in the news helps sell tickets

Is he in the news? I don't think a freestyle dual between Iran and America in Texas is that big to the outside world, lol, especially if he doesn't even wrestle. Maybe Dabir went and helped him out by making his marg bar america comment, that definitely got a lot of mainstream media attention and raised the profile of the event, lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still waiting on visas and/or administrative issues, although from what I understand, an official announcement on the foreign opponents for the American men and women is coming very soon. 

I have no intel on America's rep at 125kg though. I hope it's Gable like everyone else but haven't heard anything on that possibility one way or another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...