wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

22 hours ago, wrestfan said:

Takhti Cup qualifiers , complete results
http://iawf.ir/Public/iawf.ir/1/results/entekhabi FS takhti cup 1400-results.pdf

Reza Atri won the 60kg competition, not convincingly though, other winners in the 2nd day are Omid Khedmati (70), Ali Gholami (79), Arashk Mohebbi (92) and Mohammad Alitabar (125)

Is there a version of these results translated into English?  Also, from what I've seen of the results it looks like Iran was the only country there and the field was a bit weak. 

2 hours ago, Jon_Kozak said:

Is there a version of these results translated into English?  Also, from what I've seen of the results it looks like Iran was the only country there and the field was a bit weak. 

that's not the Takhti Cup , but Takhti Cup qualifiers . and of course that was only between Iranian wrestlers. mostly 2nd/3rd tier wrestlers.

Takhti Cup itself will be held in 3 months (for some reasons that's not in UWW calendar)

we were supposed to send the Nationals winners to the Asian Championships in April but looks like after Mohsen Mostafavi's poor performance in Bulgaria they decided to have a trial for him.

officially they say since Alireza Karimi was injured during the nationals (and he won the Takhti Cup qualifier previous weekend) he will be allowed to wrestle Mostafavi (nationals winner at 86kg) in 2 weeks. Karimi has to beat him twice to make the team while Mostafavi just needs 1 win. (I assume it will be easy for Karimi to beat this guy twice)

personally I think they just wanted to improve the Asian Championship team. there will be lots of newcomers in this team (57, 61, 70), they just wanted to make sure of one more gold medal. Asian Champs isn't usually a very big deal but Iran always wants to win the team title and win 3-4 gold medals at least.

On 3/7/2022 at 6:08 PM, wrestfan said:

officially they say since Alireza Karimi was injured during the nationals (and he won the Takhti Cup qualifier previous weekend) he will be allowed to wrestle Mostafavi (nationals winner at 86kg) in 2 weeks. Karimi has to beat him twice to make the team while Mostafavi just needs 1 win. (I assume it will be easy for Karimi to beat this guy twice)

Alireza Karimi withdrew from this trial match, he is not interested in the Asian Championships. he wants to focus on the Takhti Cup

PS: by my count we have at least 3 wrestlers with the same name "Alireza Karimi" all of them around the same weight! they had to write his full name "Alireza Karimi Machiani" to not get confused with someone else. only writing his state/province next to his name is not enough anymore since one of these new guys is from the same town !

lol, must be a big relief for the nationals  winner (forgot his name) that he gets to go to an international championship at least. No way this guy makes another team even at Asian level again. 

Edited by Shiraz123

5 hours ago, wrestfan said:

Alireza Karimi withdrew from this trial match, he is not interested in the Asian Championships. he wants to focus on the Takhti Cup

PS: by my count we have at least 3 wrestlers with the same name "Alireza Karimi" all of them around the same weight! they had to write his full name "Alireza Karimi Machiani" to not get confused with someone else. only writing his state/province next to his name is not enough anymore since one of these new guys is from the same town !

What a strange decision by Karimi.

1 minute ago, irani said:

What a strange decision by Karimi.

He probably just wanted to qualify for the actual Takhti and they surprised him by trying to get him to a do a trial for asian champs. I definitely have not memorised how the the point system works, but i'm guessing asian champs isn't too important. Anyway he's won the asian championships twice already that I remember and has world medals, plus been to an olympics, so random asian champs probably means nothing to him. Will mean more to the guy that won the nationals. Karimi's goal for this year must be asian games.

2 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

He probably just wanted to qualify for the actual Takhti and they surprised him by trying to get him to a do a trial for asian champs. I definitely have not memorised how the the point system works, but i'm guessing asian champs isn't too important. Anyway he's won the asian championships twice already that I remember and has world medals, plus been to an olympics, so random asian champs probably means nothing to him. Will mean more to the guy that won the nationals. Karimi's goal for this year must be asian games.

Asian Champs almost has the same importance as the Takhti Cup. it differs weight by weight but in case of 86kg, only Asian Champs gold medalist and Takhti Cup gold medalist will earn a chance to wrestle Yazdani for the spot.

I don't know which tournament will be easier. I believe Karimi could win both without much trouble and still I think in this situation an Asian Champs gold has more value than Takhti Cup gold, I'm a bit surprised by his decision too. but surely an Asian Champs medal (even if that's just a bronze) will mean much more for the other guy Mostafavi. it somehow helps then when they apply for a job later. Karimi doesn't need that.

I also think Karimi isn't even interested to wrestle Yazdani, he just wants the 2nd spot. I won't be surprised if he fakes an injury when that day arrives.

14 hours ago, wrestfan said:

Asian Champs almost has the same importance as the Takhti Cup. it differs weight by weight but in case of 86kg, only Asian Champs gold medalist and Takhti Cup gold medalist will earn a chance to wrestle Yazdani for the spot.

I don't know which tournament will be easier. I believe Karimi could win both without much trouble and still I think in this situation an Asian Champs gold has more value than Takhti Cup gold, I'm a bit surprised by his decision too. but surely an Asian Champs medal (even if that's just a bronze) will mean much more for the other guy Mostafavi. it somehow helps then when they apply for a job later. Karimi doesn't need that.

I also think Karimi isn't even interested to wrestle Yazdani, he just wants the 2nd spot. I won't be surprised if he fakes an injury when that day arrives.

In that case then maybe he just doesn't want to go through the hassle of flying to Mongolia and back when he can get the same result wrestling in Iran. Him vs Yazdani is a pretty good match even though he has no chance of winning. As far as guys Yazdani can wrestle it's one of the more interesting ones at least. Hopefully we get to see it again. 

What is tougher, Asians or Euros in your opinion?

And yes you have Japan, but I'm not talking about LF. No disrespect.

I think it's a wash. Georgia, Russia, Turkey, Azerbaijan Ukraine, Armenia etc in Europe.

"Europe" isn't truly Europe it's more like Eurasia with the exception of Hungary, Serbia, Poland, Romania , Moldova, who

are eastern European.

And Asia has Iran, India and all the Turkic republics that end with "STAN" except Tajikistan ( Persian), Mongolia, S. Korea 

So tough both. 

Edited by krazzy

13 hours ago, krazzy said:

What is tougher, Asians or Euros in your opinion?

And yes you have Japan, but I'm not talking about LF. No disrespect.

I think it's a wash. Georgia, Russia, Turkey, Azerbaijan Ukraine, Armenia etc in Europe.

"Europe" isn't truly Europe it's more like Eurasia with the exception of Hungary, Serbia, Poland, Romania , Moldova, who

are eastern European.

And Asia has Iran, India and all the Turkic republics that end with "STAN" except Tajikistan ( Persian), Mongolia, S. Korea 

So tough both. 

Europe is undoubtedly harder. Agree about it not being actually Europe, though. Asia becomes a bit of a joke once you pass 74kg or so. 

In terms of continentals it would be

Europe

Asia

Pan America

Africa

In terms of toughness

Edited by Shiraz123

Yeah besides USA and Cuba, Pan Am is a wrestling wasteland. You'd think Brazil would have some wrestlers transition from BJJ and or MMA.

Usually it's the reverse though.

37 minutes ago, krazzy said:

Yeah besides USA and Cuba, Pan Am is a wrestling wasteland. You'd think Brazil would have some wrestlers transition from BJJ and or MMA.

Usually it's the reverse though.

Canada has the occasional wrestling immigrant

7 hours ago, irani said:

The son of our friend and resident Greco expert @LBJ just won gold in a regional event, after teching all his opponents

You have to love the singlet, though 

Way to go Otto.  The kid is a stud

image.png.936b7b3ebcd0c30417428853cb65cbe2.png

IMG_1212.heic 124.4 kB · 0 downloads

That was a cool singlet design, think they used it for 2019. Second best Iran one I have seen after the 2015 worlds singlets. 

Off topic but looks like USA and Iran are in the same World Cup group. How well will Iranian fans travel to Qatar considering the countries are so close to each other? That could potentially give Iran a big advantage which would be my fear. TIA and good luck.

54 minutes ago, DocBZ said:

Off topic but looks like USA and Iran are in the same World Cup group. How well will Iranian fans travel to Qatar considering the countries are so close to each other? That could potentially give Iran a big advantage which would be my fear. TIA and good luck.

In all honesty, Iranian fans will outnumber the opposition regardless if the venue.  Football is even more popular than wrestling.

Should be a great match.  Third time the two teams meet, second time in the World Cup 

19 hours ago, irani said:

In all honesty, Iranian fans will outnumber the opposition regardless if the venue.  Football is even more popular than wrestling.

Should be a great match.  Third time the two teams meet, second time in the World Cup 

Hopefully this upcoming match forces the government/federation to finally add some funding and support to the national team. 

1 hour ago, The Genius said:

Hopefully this upcoming match forces the government/federation to finally add some funding and support to the national team. 

I doubt if they can add funding.  Due to sanctions, there is just no money for sports.

I hope they can at least set up some good friendlies with European teams.  No more friendlies with Syria and Uzbekistan.

Iran's has three world class players upfront with Azmoun, Taremi and Jahanbakhsh.  I wish the coach would play the youngster Ghayeri.  Iran also has serious issues that they have to fix in their defense.  Lastly, if they can find a good playmaker that can feed the forwards, they will be a force to reckon with.  I was hoping Gholizadeh would be that playmaker, but he has disappointed. 

54 minutes ago, irani said:

I doubt if they can add funding.  Due to sanctions, there is just no money for sports.

I hope they can at least set up some good friendlies with European teams.  No more friendlies with Syria and Uzbekistan.

Iran's has three world class players upfront with Azmoun, Taremi and Jahanbakhsh.  I wish the coach would play the youngster Ghayeri.  Iran also has serious issues that they have to fix in their defense.  Lastly, if they can find a good playmaker that can feed the forwards, they will be a force to reckon with.  I was hoping Gholizadeh would be that playmaker, but he has disappointed. 

Is Jahanbaksh world class? I remember he came to the premier league as a big money transfer for Brighton and got kicked out after killing himself to score like 4 goals in 2 years. Lol not arguing with you I do not follow football much outside of very big matches like world cup or champions league and you likely know more than me but I just knew about his story because he was an Iranian in the big league. Is he better now?

Edited by Shiraz123