wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

4 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Is Jahanbaksh world class? I remember he came to the premier league as a big money transfer for Brighton and got kicked out after killing himself to score like 4 goals in 2 years. Lol not arguing with you I do not follow football much outside of very big matches like world cup or champions league and you likely know more than me but I just knew about his story because he was an Iranian in the big league. Is he better now?

I guess it depends on your definition of world class:

• He was a top scorer in the Dutch league
  • he was named best winger of the 2016–17 season in the Dutch League
  • He did spend most of his time on the bench at Brighton, but the few times he played, he did well
  • He was named player of the month at Brighton a few months before leaving Player of the month
  • He scored an amazing "world class" goal for Brighton against Chelsea Jahnbakhsh cracker of a goal
  • He has done well this year both at the club level and national level this year

So by my definition of world class, meaning someone who can compete with the best, yes, he is up there.  He is not a superstar like Ronaldo or Messi, but he is world class in my book.

32 minutes ago, irani said:

• He did spend most of his time on the bench at Brighton, but the few times he played, he did well
  • He was named player of the month at Brighton a few months before leaving Player of the month
  • He scored an amazing "world class" goal for Brighton against Chelsea Jahnbakhsh cracker of a goal
  • He has done well this year both at the club level and national level this year

So by my definition of world class, meaning someone who can compete with the best, yes, he is up there.  He is not a superstar like Ronaldo or Messi, but he is world class in my book.

They let the fans vote player of the month??? With Iranians being one of the most active online presences I am surprised he didn't win it every month. I hope the poll wasn't on instagram at least. 

2 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

They let the fans vote player of the month??? With Iranians being one of the most active online presences I am surprised he didn't win it every month. I hope the poll wasn't on instagram at least. 

First you have to be nominated by the club.  It is on their web page, not on Instagram.  This was a legitimate vote; the English fans were singing his name in the stands.  He had a really good month. 

We have Jahanbaksh. We have Beiranvand. We have Azmoun. We have Taremi. We will definitely progress out of the group stage I am sure. Only question beyond that is how far we get in the knock out rounds. I'll say we make it to the quarter final and lose a controversial match there. 

1 hour ago, Shiraz123 said:

We have Jahanbaksh. We have Beiranvand. We have Azmoun. We have Taremi. We will definitely progress out of the group stage I am sure. Only question beyond that is how far we get in the knock out rounds. I'll say we make it to the quarter final and lose a controversial match there. 

Oh no, the Shiraz123 jinx, now we are screwed.

I do not share your optimism.  While we were lucky to get England instead of say Brazil or France, and were lucky to get US instead of say Germany, Holland or Uruguay, the 4th seed will be a strong team, I would have preferred New Zealand instead of Wales/Ukraine/Scottland

Here is how I see it realistically, Iran will be a clear underdog against England, a slight underdog against the US, a clear underdog against Wales, a slight underdog against Ukraine, and a slight favorite against Scottland.  I am going to guess it will be Wales.

We would have to win at least one match, and tie at last another match.  That will be a tall order against this group.

By the way Beiranvard has been benched in his club in Portugal, and was bench on the national team as well until the last match.  It is not clear who will be Iran's goalkeeper at the world cup.  The young Abedzadeh  had the job until he made one mistake against South Korea, and he was benched after that

7 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Wow bullish af lol Iran has never made it out of the group stage before. I'm not sold on Skocic, I much prefer Queiroz, but most people seem to be happy with Skocic so far. 

Also Beiranvand is not the same guy anymore and he hasn't even been making it into the team for Iran lately, replaced mostly by Abedzadeh. 

Pahliwan pahliwan, that group is going to be tough to overcome.

How come no one is talking about Louis Finesilver? 

ha ha....

Anyway I hope Majid Hosseini has a successful run as he plays for Kayserispor.   

On 4/2/2022 at 7:18 PM, irani said:

Irani, did you ever get that singlet for your friend in the end?

Just now, Uwwdoc said:

Ah brilliant! Glad you got it.

I got it, and the kid is undefeated in the singlets :)

Thanks again.  @MJB is not on the board anymore, but he and his kid are very happy with the singlets

I didn’t think Iran were really going to send their best to the Asian Championships. Although they do have a number of wrestlers aside from the number 1’s that are skilled. Really only Mohammadian in freestyle is one who can potentially represent Iran at the World Championships that’s going to the Asian Championships. Same goes with Rahman Amouzad. 

@ 79 kg  for Iran - who is the better wrestler- Nokhodi or Savadkohi?

Nokhodi did reasonably well in Oslo and so did Savadkohi recently in Turkey.

is Savadkohi likely to come back with gold for Asia?

1 hour ago, window12 said:

@ 79 kg  for Iran - who is the better wrestler- Nokhodi or Savadkohi?

Nokhodi did reasonably well in Oslo and so did Savadkohi recently in Turkey.

is Savadkohi likely to come back with gold for Asia?

Definitely Nokhodi, he was U23 silver I think and Junior world champion (and obviously senior world silver), I don't remember Savadkouhi winning anything, and Nokhodi is a few years younger too.

Savadkouhi should definitely medal in the Asian Championships, I don't know about gold though.

Edited by The Genius

5 hours ago, The Genius said:

Do we know Iran's GR team for the AC? 

sure we do

all of Takhti Cup winners except one weight (67kg since the winner is in the junior team!)

Ali Nourbakhsh 55, Mehdi Mohsennejad 60, Iman Mohammadi 63, Shahin Bodaghi 67, Mohammad Reza Mokhtari 72, Aref Habibollahi 77, Rasoul Garmsiri 82, Naser Alizadeh 87, Mehdi Bali 97 and Amir Ghasemi-Monjazi 130

16 hours ago, wrestfan said:

sure we do

all of Takhti Cup winners except one weight (67kg since the winner is in the junior team!)

Ali Nourbakhsh 55, Mehdi Mohsennejad 60, Iman Mohammadi 63, Shahin Bodaghi 67, Mohammad Reza Mokhtari 72, Aref Habibollahi 77, Rasoul Garmsiri 82, Naser Alizadeh 87, Mehdi Bali 97 and Amir Ghasemi-Monjazi 130

thank you. terrible team 

19 hours ago, The Genius said:

thank you. terrible team 

if these trial rules stand, we will never see Iran tier 1 wrestlers at the Asian Championships. because whoever wins a medal at Worlds will be exempt from the Asian Championship next year.

what if a World Champion actually wants to wrestle at the Asian Championship? he won't be allowed apparently under these rules

22 hours ago, window12 said:

Expected medal haul?

many can probably compete for medals since the competition is not that strong, but i would very surprised with more than 2 golds. but i don't know 3-4 of those guys 

4 hours ago, wrestfan said:

if these trial rules stand, we will never see Iran tier 1 wrestlers at the Asian Championships. because whoever wins a medal at Worlds will be exempt from the Asian Championship next year.

what if a World Champion actually wants to wrestle at the Asian Championship? he won't be allowed apparently under these rules

Seems to be some pros and cons -pros would be more wrestlers will get experience of international wrestling and the cons presumably will be the ranking will not as high or for tier 1 wrestlers their resume is not bolstered as much. Overall though it may not be a bad thing to spread the opportunities and  rewards a bit more amongst the wrestlers which may be a good incentive to work and train harder. 

29 minutes ago, The Genius said:

many can probably compete for medals since the competition is not that strong, but i would very surprised with more than 2 golds. but i don't know 3-4 of those guys 

Thanks- that s a good rule of thumb now. I will be disappointed if we get less than 2, indifferent if we get 2-4 and delighted if we get more....