Jump to content
wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Uwwdoc said:

Iran doing pretty bad in GR on day 1 on the whole.

One gold and 2 bronze medals for first day..On par with what we expected although our expectations was not high to begin with.

Did not see any of the matches though. Was the Gold medal match ok?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there were some disappointments in this Greco team but they did OK in general by winning 4 golds. yeah losing the team title is always disappointing but it was a quality competition with other teams bringing their A teams while Iranian team was without last year world medalists.

I was expecting 3 or 4 golds. Mokhtari, Alizadeh and Bali were expected to win the gold. Garmsiri surprised me a bit. this guy was around forever and never impressed me before. on other hand I was expecting more from Iman Mohammadi. he beat the world bronze medalists from Japan but was hopeless in his SF match.

Mohsennejad won another silver. I don't know what's wrong with him but he is always good only before the final! I think Nejati is a much better wrestler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, krazzy said:

Why didn't Iran bring their gold medalists from the worlds?

 

 They have a months long trial process where you wrestle or don't wrestle at certain tournaments or events based off your results in previous tournaments, in this case world medalists are exempt from asians.

 

Btw I thought Bana picked his team and refused to work unless he could do so. Did they get him to agree to a trial procedure, even one like this which is far from a normal trial like you would see in America or Russia?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wrestfan said:

it was a quality competition with other teams bringing their A teams 

really?! didn't one guy win a bronze without even winning a match... 

a few weights had some good guys but lots of weights had nobody good at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

 They have a months long trial process where you wrestle or don't wrestle at certain tournaments or events based off your results in previous tournaments, in this case world medalists are exempt from asians.

 

 

That's a strange regulation. Does this apply to all UWW tournaments? Like say Russian gold winners at the worlds can't compete in the Euros?

For instance Kayaalp wins a Gold at worlds and wrestles at the Euros for instance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, krazzy said:

That's a strange regulation. Does this apply to all UWW tournaments? Like say Russian gold winners at the worlds can't compete in the Euros?

For instance Kayaalp wins a Gold at worlds and wrestles at the Euros for instance.

By "they" I meant the Iranian wrestling federation and their procedure for determining the world team every year. This is an internal thing in Iran, nothing to do with UWW and other countries. 

Edited by Shiraz123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

By "they" I meant the Iranian wrestling federation and their procedure for determining the world team every year. This is an internal thing in Iran, nothing to do with UWW and other countries. 

Oh I see. Do you like the idea? I mean the Asians can be a good tune up for the back ups for sure. And Iran usually wins the team titles anyway

apparently with the B team though not this year in GR. Though it did win the most golds.

Edited by krazzy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, The Genius said:

really?! didn't one guy win a bronze without even winning a match... 

a few weights had some good guys but lots of weights had nobody good at all

name one quality Asian wrestler (except Fumita) who is not retired after the Olympics and was missing in this competition ? Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, South Korea they all bring everything they had to this competition.

only 7 or 8 countries can win medal in Asia and they all bring their top wrestlers, except China which was absent for COVID reasons. yeah the numbers weren't good with 8 or 9 wrestlers in each weight but even with 20 wrestlers only these 8 countries would be good for winning medals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Btw I thought Bana picked his team and refused to work unless he could do so. Did they get him to agree to a trial procedure, even one like this which is far from a normal trial like you would see in America or Russia?

I believe he still picks up him his Worlds/Asian Games team based on his own criteria. he just followed the trial procedure for the Asian Championship to not create another unnecessary drama.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wrestfan said:

name one quality Asian wrestler (except Fumita) who is not retired after the Olympics and was missing in this competition ? Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, South Korea they all bring everything they had to this competition.

only 7 or 8 countries can win medal in Asia and they all bring their top wrestlers, except China which was absent for COVID reasons. yeah the numbers weren't good with 8 or 9 wrestlers in each weight but even with 20 wrestlers only these 8 countries would be good for winning medals.

was there a single top 10 wrestler in 63kg (which the Iranian won a bronze without winning a single match, amazing) or 72kg? probably not in some other weight classes too. very weak competition. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, krazzy said:

Oh I see. Do you like the idea? I mean the Asians can be a good tune up for the back ups for sure. And Iran usually wins the team titles anyway

apparently with the B team though not this year in GR. Though it did win the most golds.

Better than what they used to have which was no set criteria I suppose. It is also interesting to see how the guys progress and get points as the months and tournaments go on. Old system of coaches suddenly adding random trials and picking losers of trials created a lot of drama and hurt feelings, lol. At least now they have some process on paper. Although according to @wrestfan Bana (our GR head coach) still is allowed to pick the team as he wants. Freestyle now though has some procedure for picking the world team. 

 

8 hours ago, wrestfan said:

I believe he still picks up him his Worlds/Asian Games team based on his own criteria. he just followed the trial procedure for the Asian Championship to not create another unnecessary drama.

I see. So end goal for this new trial point system in freestyle is being on the world team. What is the end goal of it in greco? You get to go to Asian championships? 

Edited by Shiraz123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Genius said:

was there a single top 10 wrestler in 63kg (which the Iranian won a bronze without winning a single match, amazing) or 72kg? probably not in some other weight classes too. very weak competition. 

well. Iman Mohammadi beat a 2021 World bronze medalist from Japan and lost to a 2018 world bronze medalist from Kazakhstan. maybe you were expecting to see Russian or Turkish wrestlers here but I have to tell you they wrestle in Europe and only Asian wrestlers can participate. and this is the very best Asia can bring. only top Iranian wrestler were missing .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

I see. So end goal for this new trial point system in freestyle is being on the world team. What is the end goal of it in greco? You get to go to Asian championships? 

it's a bit complicated. in some weights 55, 60, 72 and 87 Iran didn't medal last year and everybody had to participate in Takhti Cup. those guys who won these 4 weights were in a pretty good situation to make the World team. Mokhtari 72 and Alizadeh 87 most probably already made the world team by winning the Asian title. I mean they proved they are the best in Iran and they can also get results in international competitions.

in other weights, whoever did good in Asia will have a chance to challenge the last year world medalist but Bana doesn't believe in direct trials. he will most probably send them to an international competition. but for example 130kg,  67kg and 77kg trial winners did terrible here, I highly doubt Bana gives them another chance.

but this will be a busy year. we know about World Championship and Asian Games being almost in the same time. they have to prepare two teams. also I have to say there is another event. "Islamic Solidarity Games" the NOC cares about that too. last time in 2017 they even sent Yazdani ! not possible this time because it's very close to those two major events but still they are going to prepare a 3rd team for that too. won't be easy with Turkey (host), Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan. my point is even if you don't make the World team there are other competitions to try for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Better than what they used to have which was no set criteria I suppose. It is also interesting to see how the guys progress and get points as the months and tournaments go on. Old system of coaches suddenly adding random trials and picking losers of trials created a lot of drama and hurt feelings, lol. At least now they have some process on paper. Although according to @wrestfan Bana (our GR head coach) still is allowed to pick the team as he wants. Freestyle now though has some procedure for picking the world team.

yep it's very clear (yet complicated) in freestyle. based on the "rules" Emami will make the world team if he wins the Asian title. I heard somewhere that Amouzad, Yeganeh-Jafari and Hazratgholizadeh will have the same advantage because they won the nationals at weights Iran didn't medal last year. (or the medalist moved up weight and gave up his spot) BUT from what I read that's not correct only last year world team member who didn't medal (Emami) has this chance. for the rest winning the Asian title will qualify them for the last round of trials. if they don't win the gold they have to participate in Takhti Cup.

we will have a better idea about the trial process in freestyle weight by weight on Sunday after the end of the Asian Championship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wrestfan said:

we will have a better idea about the trial process in freestyle weight by weight on Sunday after the end of the Asian Championship.

I am wondering about FS 97 and 92 kg. Where are we with the national team selection. I guess for 97 kg it’s between Mohammadian and Golij and Ghassempour has it all sawn up for 92?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, window12 said:

I am wondering about FS 97 and 92 kg. Where are we with the national team selection. I guess for 97 kg it’s between Mohammadian and Golij and Ghassempour has it all sawn up for 92?

I have to check it again for 97kg but for Ghasempour he only has to beat one guy to make the team. if Firouzpour wins the Asian title he will qualify for the final trials. and if an Iranian wrestler wins Takhti Cup, that guy should wrestle Firouzpour first and the winner will get the chance to face Ghasempour.

if Firouzpour fails and a foreign wrestler wins Takhti Cup Ghasempour already has the spot (the same goes for H. Yazdani and Zare)

97kg is a bit more complicated. Goleij has to wrestle in Takhti Cup. but I think winning the Asian gold (which Mohammadian most probably does) will qualify him for the final trial.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wrestfan said:

well. Iman Mohammadi beat a 2021 World bronze medalist from Japan and lost to a 2018 world bronze medalist from Kazakhstan. maybe you were expecting to see Russian or Turkish wrestlers here but I have to tell you they wrestle in Europe and only Asian wrestlers can participate. and this is the very best Asia can bring. only top Iranian wrestler were missing .

It's so arbitrary why some countries are deemed Asian and some European. Turkey obviously is a conundrum as it straddles the two continents, Europe barely. But why Azerbaijan and Armenia are considered to be part of Europe is odd. Georgia too. Russia is almost %75 located in asia, the landmass. Perhaps they (UWW) are trying to achieve parity between the two. 

Same goes for FIFA. Israel , Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan play in Europe for instance. And Kazakhstan! Go figure....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, krazzy said:

It's so arbitrary why some countries are deemed Asian and some European. Turkey obviously is a conundrum as it straddles the two continents, Europe barely. But why Azerbaijan and Armenia are considered to be part of Europe is odd. Georgia too. Russia is almost %75 located in asia, the landmass. Perhaps they (UWW) are trying to achieve parity between the two. 

Same goes for FIFA. Israel , Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan play in Europe for instance. And Kazakhstan! Go figure....

Countries have the option of apply to any federation that they want.  There are no strict rules

In fifa, Turkey decided to be in Europe to play against better teams.  They probably would qualify for a lot more world cups if they played in Asia.  I respect Turkey for that decision.

Israel joined UEFA because in the early 70s all the Arab countries where boycotting them (interestingly enough, Iran was one of the few Muslim countries willing to play against them. I remember their played in the Asia cup in 1967.  One of the first soccer games in my memeory

Australia decided to leave Oceania, and joined the Asia federation, because they decided they have a better shot of qualifying in the world cup playing in Asia vs Oceania

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, irani said:

Countries have the option of apply to any federation that they want.  There are no strict rules

In fifa, Turkey decided to be in Europe to play against better teams.  They probably would qualify for a lot more world cups if they played in Asia.  I respect Turkey for that decision.

Israel joined UEFA because in the early 70s all the Arab countries where boycotting them (interestingly enough, Iran was one of the few Muslim countries willing to play against them. I remember their played in the Asia cup in 1967.  One of the first soccer games in my memeory

Australia decided to leave Oceania, and joined the Asia federation, because they decided they have a better shot of qualifying in the world cup playing in Asia vs Oceania

You must have lived in the time of  the time of Riza Pahlavi.  It's strange, I mean society may have been more affluent at the time

but it truly wasn't real, as in it was all CIA concocted. Nothing new here. The assassination of Mosaddegh was a tragedy. Who can blame the anger and the ascendant regime of Khomeini

and the Mollahs after that?

 

Yes it's sad that when Israel and Iran wrestle it's a WO. 

On another note I wish Turkey played in Asia. But it's a double edged sword. If you play against teams that are not elite, you wont get better. There are high level teams in asia though ,; Japan, Iran, South Korea...but not much after that. The case of India is very curious. Too, China. How on earth with that population can they not have good teams -I mean even better than average teams? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, krazzy said:

You must have lived in the time of  the time of Riza Pahlavi.  It's strange, I mean society may have been more affluent at the time

but it truly wasn't real, as in it was all CIA concocted. Nothing new here. The assassination of Mosaddegh was a tragedy. Who can blame the anger and the ascendant regime of Khomeini

and the Mollahs after that?

 

Yes it's sad that when Israel and Iran wrestle it's a WO. 

On another note I wish Turkey played in Asia. But it's a double edged sword. If you play against teams that are not elite, you wont get better. There are high level teams in asia though ,; Japan, Iran, South Korea...but not much after that. The case of India is very curious. Too, China. How on earth with that population can they not have good teams -I mean even better than average teams? 

I lived in Iran during Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, not his father Reza Pahlavi 

He was a ruler with many flaws, but much better than those in power now 

Mossadegh was not assassinated, he was overthrown snd put under house arrest.  A true tragedy and the world and people of Iran are still paying the orice for that Ill-advised  intervention by the US and England.

I respect Turkey for choosing to play in the tougher federation and play against better teams, instead of taking the easy route to the World Cup.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...