wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

9 hours ago, krazzy said:

Oceania

Israel is still geographically still in Asia, despite competing in Europe for Sports in continental championships. But Turkey I thought were geographically in Europe, can correct me if I’m mistaken. Australia just as you stated for both Soccer and Basketball compete in the Asia Continent despite being in Oceania. One other that I observed that I don’t know how it happened. As you know Kazakhstan is in Asia. In all sports they compete as expected in the Asia zone. But for only soccer, they compete in the Europe Zone, I wonder how that happened?

33 minutes ago, Seena said:

Israel is still geographically still in Asia, despite competing in Europe for Sports in continental championships. But Turkey I thought were geographically in Europe, can correct me if I’m mistaken. Australia just as you stated for both Soccer and Basketball compete in the Asia Continent despite being in Oceania. One other that I observed that I don’t know how it happened. As you know Kazakhstan is in Asia. In all sports they compete as expected in the Asia zone. But for only soccer, they compete in the Europe Zone, I wonder how that happened?

Israel competes in Europe as much so Iran can compete in Asia. I'm sure there's more than that- assume a high percentage of Israel's pop came from Europe prior to 1948.

Turkey is both Eur/Asia.

Australia is in Australia. Depends on who's list you look at whether it's Australia or Oceania.

23 hours ago, irani said:

I lived in Iran during Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, not his father Reza Pahlavi 

He was a ruler with many flaws, but much better than those in power now 

Mossadegh was not assassinated, he was overthrown snd put under house arrest.  A true tragedy and the world and people of Iran are still paying the orice for that Ill-advised  intervention by the US and England.

I respect Turkey for choosing to play in the tougher federation and play against better teams, instead of taking the easy route to the World Cup.

I don't know where I got that he was assassinated, I think because all of his comrades were. In my mind I always thought he was.

Sorry for the misinformation. What happened after the Shah was ousted was a thermidor in reverse, I feel. I'm an American born and raised here of Turkish heritage and I have to say the CIA has wreaked havoc on so many countries. To vilify Iran without knowing the history is completely irresponsible ( I am guilty) . Too the last military coup in Turkey was  the work of the CIA, in 1980.  One would think the US would have supported secularists but it was the opposite because of the irrational fear of "communism" that prompted the coup. Anyway sorry to ramble

looks like in FS in Asia on the first day Iran has 3 in finals and one wrestling for Bronze. Amouzad seems to have done well at 65. Mohammadian is in the final too against Ullsaikhan who is quite experienced. I recall he had a closeish match againt Reza Yazdani in the past so should be intersting.....

1 hour ago, window12 said:

looks like in FS in Asia on the first day Iran has 3 in finals and one wrestling for Bronze. Amouzad seems to have done well at 65. Mohammadian is in the final too against Ullsaikhan who is quite experienced. I recall he had a closeish match againt Reza Yazdani in the past so should be intersting.....

I expect Mohammadian to 10-0 him. We will see. Would like to see a match of Savadkouhi and Nokhodi in the near future. And Bajrang vs Amouzad should be a good match and a real test for Rahman to see where he is at currently.

22 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

I expect Mohammadian to 10-0 him. We will see. Would like to see a match of Savadkouhi and Nokhodi in the near future. And Bajrang vs Amouzad should be a good match and a real test for Rahman to see where he is at currently.

Bajrang V Amouzad will be worth waiting for and a good test for Amouzad for sure.

I agree Savadkouhi V Nokhodi needs to be done too. Ultimately I feel Savadkouhi may have better chance against JB.....

Amouzad beats Bajrang 3 - 1. Match was tied off with Amouzad's underhook and neither being able to do much from that position for the most part but Amouzad got a takedown in the last minute or so to win it after going behind 1 - 1 on shot clock points.

Yeganeh Jaffari loses to Japan and then Kazakhstan to come 5th. They sent him somewhere after all these years and to be honest he sucks. 70 is wide open especially without Russia and I hope Yazdani goes. Not sure why he lost to Jaffari. 

Savadkouhi had one good match against Burroughs. he also beat that Belarusian guy (Olympic silver) in a league match but I simply don't trust him. he gases most of the times. he can't survive a long tournament (like worlds) with 4-5 matches in one session.

I was counting on Amouzad to beat Bajrang here. I know Bjrang is getting old but still beating him means Amouzad is not far from the world medal.

Mohammadian is getting more conservative. he teched all of his opponents but I'm not sure anymore if he is better than Goleij (that was no question for me a year ago)

and what about Momeni and Yeganeh-J. ? they suck big time. I hope I never see them in international competitions again. because of those weird rules Yeganeh still has a good chance to make the world team which is a nightmare. this guy should retire right now.

Goleij and Mohammadian will need a best of 3 to see who should go to worlds. In a non Sadulaev competing world, those 2 and Snyder are top 3 in the world probably. 

It's close, they have 2 different styles, Goleij being the more underhook heavy and Mohammadian being able to be more dynamic and shoot, age favours Goleij. I enjoyed how good Mohammadian's defense and countering was in the final though, he managed to turn some deep shots from the Mongolian into points for himself.

If it wasn't for that 1 loss which etches in to the mind at Tokyo in the first match vs Georgia, I would be definitely favouring Mohammadian overall. But it sounds like there was a lot of things wrong for the Tokyo team in terms of atmosphere and what not.

I slightly prefer Mohammadian, but give me a 2 out of 3 between these 2 and may the best man win and represent Iran at worlds.

Edited by Uwwdoc

I still like Goleij over Mohammadian. Goleij’s chances are better vs. Snyder. I’d still like Savaadkouhi at 79kg, he shows lots of potential despite people stating his gas tank runs out fast in how he can perform in one tournament. Iran is settled at most all the weights. Only questions other than 97kg would be if Reza Atri goes 61kg. Assuming Atri goes there, I’d expect it to be Sarlak, Atri, Amouzad, A.Yazdani, Emami, Savaadkouhi, H.Yazdani, Ghasempour, Goleij, Zare

18 minutes ago, irani said:

You are aware that Mohammadian pinned Snyder, right?

The problem is we have not seen that Mohammadian in the past 2 years. 

Edited by window12

6 hours ago, wrestfan said:

Savadkouhi had one good match against Burroughs. he also beat that Belarusian guy (Olympic silver) in a league match but I simply don't trust him. he gases most of the times. he can't survive a long tournament (like worlds) with 4-5 matches in one session.

I agree Savadkouhi seems to have a gas tank issue at the moment but I wonder if this can be remedied by appropriate adjustments. I mean he is very muscular for his frame which does  cause a lot of anerobic metabolism and causes reduced conditioning . I just wondered if he tried 74 Kg and lost a bit of muscle mass, this in itself could improve his gas tank but at the same time he would be competing with lighter guys which should also stress his conditioning less. Also there is nothing to stop him working on his conditioning more to improve that regardless of his weight. Hassan Yazdani seemed to be able to improve on that a bit in the past 12-18 months to be able to compete better against with David Taylor.

3 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Goleij is young, I'd favour him atm

Will be interesting definitely. I think with some time he can be a better version of the style Goleij does. Definitely right now Goleij is in his prime and is too big and experienced. That will be a good match in 2 years with all the underhooks and see who's one is stronger, lol. Firouzpour will be like 21 and Goleij like 28 so we will see. I will pick Firouzpour to get it done it 2 years. 

1 hour ago, Shiraz123 said:

Will be interesting definitely. I think with some time he can be a better version of the style Goleij does. Definitely right now Goleij is in his prime and is too big and experienced. That will be a good match in 2 years with all the underhooks and see who's one is stronger, lol. Firouzpour will be like 21 and Goleij like 28 so we will see. I will pick Firouzpour to get it done it 2 years. 

97 will be interesting for Iran, you have Goleij, Mohammdian, Firouzpour, probably Ghassempour, and perhaps Karimi (not sure what is going on with him)

Ghassempour is by far the best wrestler of the bunch, but he is a 86 Kg wrestler and will be undersized,  It will be very interesting to see if Firouzpour can develop.

I fear he now has to overcome the infamous @Shiraz123curse, so he is probably doomed :)

Ghasempour will probably go back down to 86. Same with Karimi who seems to have already gone back .Even though list of 84/86kg wrestlers who have done great at 96/97kg is miles long. I think they can all do well at 97. 

Firouzpour is definitely growing and going up. Also I can just see Goleij as being one of those guys who never goes to an olympics. Not sure why exactly lol just have a feeling. 

Mohammadian definitely isn't out of it either. He's a bit older but he had 4 years forced break, lol. I'm sure he was training but no way he was going hard like active Iranian wrestlers. For example if he got injured he could just take time off, he wouldn't have a tournament coming up or something that he'd have to wrestle through if he wasn't banned. So his body probably still has more in it than if he was wrestling those 4 years. 

Shabani is the other guy who like Goleij/Firouzpour has the forward pressure to step out style. Seems he turned out to be a worse version of Goleij, but he's good enough that if any of the others are a bit off he can take advantage and beat them. Still he's the one i'd he most shocked if he made the team. 

We'll see. I have a feeling it will be Firouzpour. Who ever goes should medal just like we should have won a medal in Tokyo at this weight. We'll also have to see what other countries have at the weight by then.

Interesting partisan crowd in Ulaanbaatar. I wonder if the spirit of Genghis Khan would have been invoked if the (perhaps few)  Iranian fans present had decided to take out the horns and go...do do do IRAN..... do do do IRAN .... during Mohamadians final match,

17 hours ago, irani said:

You are aware that Mohammadian pinned Snyder, right?

I remember that tournament where Mohammadian pinned Snyder. As well as Goleij losing to Snyder in the final 4 seconds at last years World Championships. But those do not mean anything. Mohammadian lost to Odikadze (GEO) in the first match at the Olympics. Goleij beat Odikadze in the first match 2 months later at the Worlds. Besides it makes me wonder if either Mohammadian slowed down a lot after that tournament he stormed through everyone including Snyder, or if Snyder just had an off day. This Asian Championships is nothing compared to who Mohammadian will see from Europe and North America.