wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

2 hours ago, Seena said:

I remember that tournament where Mohammadian pinned Snyder. As well as Goleij losing to Snyder in the final 4 seconds at last years World Championships. But those do not mean anything. Mohammadian lost to Odikadze (GEO) in the first match at the Olympics. Goleij beat Odikadze in the first match 2 months later at the Worlds. Besides it makes me wonder if either Mohammadian slowed down a lot after that tournament he stormed through everyone including Snyder, or if Snyder just had an off day. This Asian Championships is nothing compared to who Mohammadian will see from Europe and North America.

When discussing who has a better chance against Snyder, their past matches against Snyder are actually very relevant.  Past results against Odikadze are less relevant.

Here is is how I see it

Goleij is a consistent B+ wrestler, who is getting better and better.

Mohammdian was an A+ wrestler in 2020, and then dropped to a D level wrestler in the Olympics.  If he can get his 2020 form back, at his best, he is by far the best 97 Kg wrestler that we have.  If not, then it has to be someone else

Are there any potential young developing wrestlers in 57 and 74 that could possibly become contenders for Iran in time for the Olympics?  At the moment, we might as well forfeit those two weights

Not sure about 57. At 74 the young guys we have are Little Yazdani, Big Firouzpour and Elahi who won junior worlds at 70 last year and is back at the junior level to do his last year at 74. I believe he won the junior nationals at that weight. Those are the guys I know of. 

1 hour ago, irani said:

When discussing who has a better chance against Snyder, their past matches against Snyder are actually very relevant.  Past results against Odikadze are less relevant.

Here is is how I see it

Goleij is a consistent B+ wrestler, who is getting better and better.

Mohammdian was an A+ wrestler in 2020, and then dropped to a D level wrestler in the Olympics.  If he can get his 2020 form back, at his best, he is by far the best 97 Kg wrestler that we have.  If not, then it has to be someone else

Understand what you are stating that matches vs. same opponents aren’t as relevant. However the Mohammadian in Tokyo wouldn’t of had a chance vs. Snyder. If we can see the same Mohammadian as we did that tournament he was on a mission including a pin over Snyder. Then yes I’d favor him to win the Worlds this year. But that’s the question is what Mohammadian will we see. Either way, Iran will have a solid team that will most definitely guarantee the top 3. Not sure what the news will be with Ali Reza Karimi. 

Iran won the team title FS comfortably at the Asian championship today with 6 gold medals intotal. I thought Emami did well winning comfortably against Kaipanov for example  and suspect he will be someone that can be a potential medal contender at 74 and he is only 24 years of age.

13 minutes ago, window12 said:

Iran won the team title FS comfortably at the Asian championship today with 6 gold medals intotal. I thought Emami did well winning comfortably against Kaipanov for example  and suspect he will be someone that can be a potential medal contender at 74 and he is only 24 years of age.

Yes, most don’t trust Emami to do well at 74kg, but I feel he’s great and will get better. When Emami was one of the Co Bronze Medalists in 2019, that 1/2 Final loss was to Kaipanov. He’s not lost to Kaipanov since. 

10 minutes ago, Seena said:

Yes, most don’t trust Emami to do well at 74kg, but I feel he’s great and will get better. When Emami was one of the Co Bronze Medalists in 2019, that 1/2 Final loss was to Kaipanov. He’s not lost to Kaipanov since. 

I agree-  Emami is a similar level wrestler as Karimi. He is not at the pinnacle of his weight but has a good chance of medalling in any given tournament and is likely to deliver medals at 74 Kg at the highest levels for several years. I suspect he will be  appreciated more if he is not available for a prolonged period in the same way as Karimi is being more appreciated now.

Edited by window12

4 hours ago, Seena said:

Actually Ali Reza Sarlak who won Silver last year in Oslo should be good for 57kg in 2024. Not sure where 74kg will go.

I think Sarlak is good wrestler, and I consider him in the top 8 in the world.  I just can't picture him medaling in the Olympics, because 57 is usually such a stacked weight.  You can almost always count on US, Japan, India, Russia (if they are there) and a few other Asian and European countries having great competitors there

48 minutes ago, irani said:

I think Sarlak is good wrestler, and I consider him in the top 8 in the world.  I just can't picture him medaling in the Olympics, because 57 is usually such a stacked weight.  You can almost always count on US, Japan, India, Russia (if they are there) and a few other Asian and European countries having great competitors there

Considering how Sarlak did in Oslo. He beat the Turkish and the Russian-Belarusian to get to the Final. In the Final vs. Gilman, he did well despite the results. I can picture him being a Medal Contender for Paris. 

Zare, Yazdani and Ghasempour will wrestle in a ranking series tournament in Kazakhstan in June.

about time

in another news, the great Mohammad Mehdi Yeganeh-Jafari announced retirement at the age of 32 ! this guy was around forever and never did anything special. finally made the Asian team this year (after winning the nationals) and he sucked big time. it's good he realized he is not good enough for international competitions. despite losing at the Asians he was still in a good position to make the World team this year. so I'm glad he doesn't want that.

Edited by wrestfan

I have a question. As the Iranian Freestyle Team is expected to qualify for the World Cup Dec. 10 & 11. Will they get to go (being in the United States)? I’m hoping not the same deal as Iran-USA couldn’t have that dual meet in February because the Iranian team couldn’t get Visas

1 hour ago, Seena said:

I have a question. As the Iranian Freestyle Team is expected to qualify for the World Cup Dec. 10 & 11. Will they get to go (being in the United States)? I’m hoping not the same deal as Iran-USA couldn’t have that dual meet in February because the Iranian team couldn’t get Visas

Visa’s will be a problem if they have done their military service with IRGC I think. If I remember correctly Ghassempour also competed the the military games in the past which also could be a problem.  Overall it does not look hopefull. Recenty the singer Alireza Ghorbani who is Canadian resident had a visa for USA but was not cleared to go to USA because he had done his compulsory military service with IRGC.

5 hours ago, wrestfan said:

Zare, Yazdani and Ghasempour will wrestle in a ranking series tournament in Kazakhstan in June.

about time

in another news, the great Mohammad Mehdi Yeganeh-Jafari announced retirement at the age of 32 ! this guy was around forever and never did anything special. finally made the Asian team this year (after winning the nationals) and he sucked big time. it's good he realized he is not good enough for international competitions. despite losing at the Asians he was still in a good position to make the World team this year. so I'm glad he doesn't want that.

Just saw the list. Who the hell is the guy they are trying to send at 70? 

And I think they are sending Amouzad and his twin brother at 65. 

11 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Just saw the list. Who the hell is the guy they are trying to send at 70? 

And I think they are sending Amouzad and his twin brother at 65. 

they are not going to send all of those guys to Kazakhstan, this is just a training list.

They just invited these guys to the national camp to train with the main wrestlers. we will have Takhti Cup (which is very important) in a month and all Takhti Cup wrestlers are training in their own clubs/towns. only few wrestlers are left to attend the national camp.

5 hours ago, Uwwdoc said:

Asian Games postponed. So the headache of who to send for that compared to worlds is no longer an issue.

interestingly the announcement postponed the game exactly one year so presumably the conflict is just shifted out to 2023. But the 2023 worlds is an Olympic qualifier so perhaps that gives it more weight than the Games? Also the 2023 worlds are scheduled for Russia, which means they may get moved, which will allow UWW to pick a different date. 

a lot of uncertainties at the moment. 

3 hours ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

interestingly the announcement postponed the game exactly one year so presumably the conflict is just shifted out to 2023. But the 2023 worlds is an Olympic qualifier so perhaps that gives it more weight than the Games? Also the 2023 worlds are scheduled for Russia, which means they may get moved, which will allow UWW to pick a different date. 

a lot of uncertainties at the moment. 

as far as I know they didn't announce an exact date. they gave themselves a month to consider everything before announcing a date in 2023. but if this conflicts with the Worlds once again, at least this time everybody knows which competition has more importance. nobody will think twice about sending the A team to the World Championship which is the Olympic qualifier.

list of Takhti Cup wrestlers. this is an important part of the trial process

I make a list of notable wrestlers

57: Sarlak, Momeni, Mohammadnejad, Khorramdel, Aeini
61: Atri, Hazratgholizadeh, Yakhkeshi, Dastan, Gholizadegan
65: Ghiasi, Hajipour, Mahmoudjanloo, Sadeghi
70: A.M. Yazdani, Yeganeh-Jafari, Fazli, Maghsoudi
74: M.S. Firouzpour, Rashidi, Hosseini, Elahi
79: Nokhodi, Teymouri, Zarinpeykar, Mostafa Ghiasi
86: Alireza Karimi, Akbari, Mostafavi
92: Bazri, Hajilooeian, Arashk Mohebbi, Mirbaghban
97: Goleij, Nejatian, Ramezanian, Shariaatinia, Azarpira
125: Hashemi, Masoumi

Yazdani, Zare, Ghasempour and Asian Championships gold medalists are exempt here and will face Takhti Cup winners later in the final trial.

it seems at 65 and 74 the tournament has no meaning because Rahman Amouzad and Younes Emami already made the team. and there is no Asian Games for the #2 guy.

Edited by wrestfan

45 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

list of Takhti Cup wrestlers. this is an important part of the trial process

I make a list of notable wrestlers

57: Sarlak, Momeni, Mohammadnejad, Khorramdel, Aeini
61: Atri, Hazratgholizadeh, Yakhkeshi, Dastan, Gholizadegan
65: Ghiasi, Hajipour, Mahmoudjanloo, Sadeghi
70: A.M. Yazdani, Yeganeh-Jafari, Fazli, Maghsoudi
74: M.S. Firouzpour, Rashidi, Hosseini, Elahi
79: Nokhodi, Teymouri, Zarinpeykar, Mostafa Ghiasi
86: Alireza Karimi, Akbari, Mostafavi
92: Bazri, Hajilooeian, Arashk Mohebbi, Mirbaghban
97: Goleij, Nejatian, Ramezanian, Shariaatinia, Azarpira
125: Hashemi, Masoumi

Yazdani, Zare, Ghasempour and Asian Championships gold medalists are exempt here and will face Takhti Cup winners later in the final trial.

it seems at 65 and 70 the tournament has no meaning because Rahman Amouzad and Younes Emami already made the team. and there is no Asian Games for the #2 guy.

You mean 74kg, not 70 right?

4 hours ago, wrestfan said:

it seems at 65 and 70 the tournament has no meaning because Rahman Amouzad and Younes Emami already made the team. and there is no Asian Games for the #2 guy.

I feel for Karimi- presumably it applies to 86 Kg too so even if Karimi get the number 2 spot there won’t be anywhere for him to go either.  Would have liked to have seen him wrestle internationally again 

Edited by window12
Typo